Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

New England Patriots @ Houston Texans. 12/1. Noon. CBS. **Official Game Thread**

Anything other than offensive line is stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.

It's ****ing stupid if the Texans draft any other position other than QB. Even if it doesn't work out, you have to take the risk because the potential reward outweighs the negatives.

JJ Watt and Clowney on the same DL would be tough sledding. Especially if we go to a 4-3; which I think we should.

Anything other than offensive line is stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.

While I am not totally against it the idea that it is that extreme to not pick offensive line with what will probably be a top five pick is an exaggeration. For one, mainly LT's are picked that high and we are not seeking one there. We can probably use a guard but the biggest issue is RT. That is a position generally not chosen that high.

Point being...you can get starter material for this position in later rounds. For instance the top 10 RT's right now according to PFF from their play this year only 2 were drafted in the first round and only 1 in the top ten. Not in the top five. This is a position usually filled with 2nd-3rd round picks. This is the formula taken more often than not.

So knowing it's a position you can fill more easily than QB with a later round pick it would not be considered 'stupid' for the team to do so since that is how it usually goes around the entire league. Not to mention they also drafted two young players for guard and right tackle who were on IR who I doubt they are just going to simply ignore and cast into the 'bust' category. You draft one in the top five then you are definitely writing those guys off...well guy because no way in the world someone is drafting a guard in the top five so we're talking RT here.

This. Besides, it wasn't the offensive line that just gave up 34 points. We have to go QB or elite defensive player in round 1.

not to mention the fact everyone on this damn board seems to forget free agency exists....we can always grab a rt in free agency :shades:

how many qb's can play for their team for 10 years? lol really?

How long has schaub been here? In vain

You would think a franchise QB will last around 10 yrs, when did that become a stretch?

Edit: that is with a avg age rookie. Keenum wouldn't make that run due to the fact he's almost 30 himself.

You win in the trenches. Keenum would look much better behind a competent offensive line. Enough with a garbage offensive line. You saw what happened with this team when we had a competent one. If there's an OL or DL that's worthy, they should get picked before a QB. I can handle an OL bust way more than I can handle a QB bust, because the latter will have all this hype as a savior and get all the media attention. It would be insufferable. Not to mention that this is supposedly a deep QB class.

A new quarterback doesn't mean **** if there's no one in front of him to block for him.

But I understand, you guys want star power. It's only natural as a fan to want the flashy guy instead of the worker down deep.

You win in the trenches. Keenum would look much better behind a competent offensive line. Enough with a garbage offensive line. You saw what happened with this team when we had a competent one. If there's an OL or DL that's worthy, they should get picked before a QB.

A new quarterback doesn't mean **** if there's no one in front of him to block for him.

If you mean in general then I agree with you. If you mean specifically for today then I disagree. Offensive line wasn't really an issue today. Keenum wasn't pressured any more than Brady was.

If you mean in general then I agree with you. If you mean specifically for today then I disagree. Offensive line wasn't really an issue today. Keenum wasn't pressured any more than Brady was.

In general, of course. Today they weren't too bad in the first half, but they started to wear down late. Keenum had way more pressure later on and it showed.

You win in the trenches. Keenum would look much better behind a competent offensive line. Enough with a garbage offensive line. You saw what happened with this team when we had a competent one. If there's an OL or DL that's worthy, they should get picked before a QB. I can handle an OL bust way more than I can handle a QB bust, because the latter will have all this hype as a savior and get all the media attention. It would be insufferable. Not to mention that this is supposedly a deep QB class.

But I understand, you guys want star power. It's only natural as a fan to want the flashy guy instead of the worker down deep.

ugh either you argue to hear yourself talk, OR you truly are incompetent and don't understand. NO ONE HERE DISAGREES WE NEED OLINE HELP. Its a matter of HOW YOU GET IT that we're telling you. You have FREE AGENCY which by the way, happens PRIOR to the draft this season. OR you take a linemen in round 2 or 3 (PROVEN SUCCESSFUL OVER YEARS OF DRAFTING BY MULTIPLE TEAMS) Linemen are usually pretty deep and top linemen can be had in rounds 2-4. You get star power later where as positions like qb, wr, s, pass rusher are TYPICALLY upper echelon guys. You get dominant ones earlier, although you CAN get good ones later, the odds are you need to draft them higher. SO AGAIN TO RECAP for those who are slow.....we NEED LINEMEN, BUT we can get one via free agency OR in round 2-4, no need to WASTE a TOP 5 PICK on right tackle.

ugh either you argue to hear yourself talk, OR you truly are incompetent and don't understand. NO ONE HERE DISAGREES WE NEED OLINE HELP. Its a matter of HOW YOU GET IT that we're telling you. You have FREE AGENCY which by the way, happens PRIOR to the draft this season. OR you take a linemen in round 2 or 3 (PROVEN SUCCESSFUL OVER YEARS OF DRAFTING BY MULTIPLE TEAMS) Linemen are usually pretty deep and top linemen can be had in rounds 2-4. You get star power later where as positions like qb, wr, s, pass rusher are TYPICALLY upper echelon guys. You get dominant ones earlier, although you CAN get good ones later, the odds are you need to draft them higher. SO AGAIN TO RECAP for those who are slow.....we NEED LINEMEN, BUT we can get one via free agency OR in round 2-4, no need to WASTE a TOP 5 PICK on right tackle.

Well said. :clap:

No one is going to pick a RT with a top 5 pick. But I'm not sold on any of the QBs for a top 5 pick either. Trade down, maybe? DE, OL, then QB?

We don't even know who is coaching next year and how they evaluate the current players for their system.

You did it, man. You did it! :koolaid:

None of the last 10 super bowl winners has had a top half of the 1st round OT at either spot. Only 3 OTs on those teams were drafted in the 1st.

Also our need at RT only looks so bad because of how much Derek Newton sucks, like really really sucks. Replace him with even an average RT and the Oline will look dramatically better.

Today, well....

1385603069713_zpscf988c47.jpg

None of the last 10 super bowl winners has had a top half of the 1st round OT at either spot. Only 3 OTs on those teams were drafted in the 1st.

This is part of the reason I don't want Matthews in the first round.

Not that I don't think he's a good player, but I think with brown already here and locked up, it's overkill. I think we could get better play than what newton is providing without going at it with a top 5 pick.

it sucks they say the QB class is deep this year but I don't see it

if we do get a top 5 pick our best bet is to get a killer trade and get more picks hopefully a team offers

that our take the best DEF player off the board Clowney or something

It was a good game. I knew we weren't going to win, not because it wasn't possible, just because I knew the Texans weren't going to win.

I still enjoyed watching though.

OK, so I returned back from my Thanksgiving drive to find that my Tivo system had (again!!!!) deleted my recording of the game, along with 4 or 5 other TV shows. I've read a summary and seen a box score, but could someone give me the quick rundown? It seems we did a lot better than I expected, but still came up short. Were there any bright spots?

Looking at stats, it seems Tate did a good job, and Keenum did not: is that accurate? Were there others who stood out as particularly good or bad?

OK, so I returned back from my Thanksgiving drive to find that my Tivo system had (again!!!!) deleted my recording of the game, along with 4 or 5 other TV shows. I've read a summary and seen a box score, but could someone give me the quick rundown? It seems we did a lot better than I expected, but still came up short. Were there any bright spots?

Looking at stats, it seems Tate did a good job, and Keenum did not: is that accurate? Were there others who stood out as particularly good or bad?

No, I would not say that's accurate at all. Outside of the last two drives of the game, one of which was a three and out that had two dropped passes (1 from AJ, the other from Graham), Keenum & the Texans offense were going blow for blow with Brady and the Patriots. The defense just could not stop Brady in the 2nd half, giving up 27 points.

he beat the patriots? what were those scores with our healthy teams?

Yea and don't forget this Pats team is nowhere near the Pats of last year either so try to keep that in mind. The Pats D had 5 rookies starting, and no Wilfork either. The offense does not have the offensive firepower they had last year either with all of the top WR's gone. The Texans were only able to go blow for blow because the Pats D is in shambles.

Also our need at RT only looks so bad because of how much Derek Newton sucks, like really really sucks. Replace him with even an average RT and the Oline will look dramatically better.

I would agree with this, but to be fair, the O Line played relatively well today against the less than stellar Pats D, but Keenum was holding onto the ball too long. Need someone with faster feet at RT and that might be one of the guys on IR, or FA, or a 2nd or 3rd round acquisition.

Since when is two months short of age 26 "almost 30"?

Oh yea, my bad Case is a young guy who should be making all these mistakes at the tender age of 26- going into 27 next year. Screams FUTURE to me sign me up. <sarc>

Oh yea, my bad Case is a young guy who should be making all these mistakes at the tender age of 26- going into 27 next year. Screams FUTURE to me sign me up. <sarc>

Especially when he spent 9 years in college hahaha ok is was "only" 6.

I was telling the people in my section at half time that Belichick was making adjustments and our coaching staff was deciding what do about dinner.

SpaghettiOs night at the Phillips household.

I was telling the people in my section at half time that Belichick was making adjustments and our coaching staff was deciding what do about dinner.

SpaghettiOs night at the Phillips household.

Belichick barely did any better than Kubiak. They won by a field goal.

Did you not notice the adjustments they made after the half? They made adjustments to get Gronk and their RBs in one on ones with LBs rather than safeties.

We came out with 0 noticeable adjustments.

Gotta disagree here. We obviously came into the game with a very good gameplan and just sat on that at halftime while the Patriots made adjustments and whipped our defense in the second half.

I don't know if that's on Kubiak as much as it's on Wade but it is certainly a coaching issue.

Orrrrr, no need to use a Top 5 pick on a QB, trade it to someone who wants to use a Top 5 pick on a QB, accumulate assets, and bolster your depth from there.

Orrrrr, no need to use a Top 5 pick on a QB, trade it to someone who wants to use a Top 5 pick on a QB, accumulate assets, and bolster your depth from there.

fine, no where in my post did I ADVOCATE for a qb.....so see, youre bitching at the air

If we wind up locked in with the #1 overall pick, Clowney & Bridgewater are the only choices we have. Matthews is not an option to be picked that high.

If we wind up locked in with the #1 overall pick, Clowney & Bridgewater are the only choices we have. Matthews is not an option to be picked that high.

Or we could trade down and get some extra picks in the 1st and 2nd round and fill some gaping holes.

Or we could trade down and get some extra picks in the 1st and 2nd round and fill some gaping holes.

You need a partner & the right deal for that to take place. Every year, fans talk about their respective team needing to trade down to pick up more picks...it almost never happens.

How many holes do you supposed a good QB fills up?

Not very many when there's no one to block for him, no one opposite Watt to rush the opposing QB, no reliable running back to ease the burden, no linebackers or nose tackle to stop opposing running backs, and no secondary depth.

Guy can be as good as he wants but I'd LOVE to get a king's ransom for our first round pick if we can slip back a few spots and get the guy we really want.

Quarterbacks matter. A whole helluva lot as we see. But a quarterback isn't magic potion. A quarterback isn't a savior. We need a lot of help to shore up our terribly constructed depth, which is the biggest issue we've had this year.

I never meant to say we SHOULD trade down, I said we COULD trade down. Sometimes when you look at the draft there just isn't anyone that is truly worth the very top pick in the draft. If Bridgewater or Clowney are actually worth it, then by all means we should take one of them.

Mario Williams was definitely a better pick than Vince Young or Reggie Bush, but in hindsight, none of them was worth it. Sometimes it's just better to trade down and pick up someone extra. The draft is so much of a crap shoot anyway.

Back