Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

New Defense

With the perception that we might be transitioning to a Tampa 2 defense, which players do you think fit that scheme? Which players would you like to add (FA or draft)?

banned1976

sleeper mode
With the perception that we might be transitioning to a Tampa 2 defense, which players do you think fit that scheme? Which players would you like to add (FA or draft)?
Of the front 7, the only person that sticks out to me that may be good in the base Tampa 2 would be Cunningham. He could play the Mike. The others lack the speed, except for Adams but he may be too small and lacks coverage ability. They need a big, disruptive nose tackle. Hopefully one of their young ends can develop.

TBH, I don't know who could be available for the Texans in FA that can help considering the lack of cap space. The Texans are going to probably be starting from scratch with their defense. I expect almost complete turnover in the next 18-24 months. There's just not much to work with.

CstatTexan

Waterboy
They’re in a terrible position to rebuild the defense right now, no cap and limited picks. Unfortunately the D is also severely depleted of talent and would probably need 2 dedicated seasons to build up.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Starts with cover 1 then transitions to 2.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Transitioning to a Tampa 2 when the Texans (currently) have few draft picks and are a laughingstock will be rough. No legitimate free agents will want to come here this off-season and likely after. Texans will have to overpay anyone with name value.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Transitioning to a Tampa 2 when the Texans (currently) have few draft picks and are a laughingstock will be rough. No legitimate free agents will want to come here this off-season and likely after. Texans will have to overpay anyone with name value.
As usual I hope we stay away from the first wave of FA. Not like we’re one player, or even close.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I’m wondering with better coaching if McKinney & Cunningham can become more like Briggs & Urlacher. We’re already paying them like they are.
Lovie Smith appears to be the new DC. Probably run a 3-4 if I recall correctly. But capable of the 4-3 with no subs. His D has been pretty good

powda

I always preferred the 4-3 and mostly the raven version of it. Put 2 grizzly defensive tackles in the middle (big by 3-4 nose tackle standards) to lock down 4 gaps in the middle and force everything outside. Put your ends in a wide 7 for rush. Linebackers are a bit faster "seek and destroy types" beating every sweep to the sideline.

Once that's in place buy one top tier corner in free agency.

Golden.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
As usual I hope we stay away from the first wave of FA. Not like we’re one player, or even close.
They don't have the cap room anyway. And with players talking (Nuk, DW4 and who knows who else, waiting for Tunsil to announce he wants out) what FAs would want to come here, other than to get paid, which the Texans can't do right now.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Imagine what the Texans should've gotten out of the oz, duane brown, clowney, dhop deals vs what they got.

This team should be stacked. They're not. Hopefully they won't do it with dw.

Just pathetic.
Let’s hope Nick Caserio is a Magic Man.

Trade Watson and Watt, maybe a trade down in the draft and load us up.

You know the opposite of the last dumbass.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Let’s hope Nick Caserio is a Magic Man.

Trade Watson and Watt, maybe a trade down in the draft and load us up.

You know the opposite of the last dumbass.
And then they’ll be in the same position they were with Schaub, Hoyer, and Osweiler. A decent team that can make it to the postseason if things fall in place, but never a true championship contender year in and year out because they don’t have that QB.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
And then they’ll be in the same position they were with Schaub, Hoyer, and Osweiler. A decent team that can make it to the postseason if things fall in place, but never a true championship contender year in and year out because they don’t have that QB.
It’s a dilemma.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
i think now a days every team kinda plays like every scheme lets just play them all ..?????

michaelm

vox nihili
I always preferred the 4-3 and mostly the raven version of it. Put 2 grizzly defensive tackles in the middle (big by 3-4 nose tackle standards) to lock down 4 gaps in the middle and force everything outside. Put your ends in a wide 7 for rush. Linebackers are a bit faster "seek and destroy types" beating every sweep to the sideline.

Golden.
Your description is almost identical to the description that I read of the defense being installed by new Longhorns DC Pete Kwiatkowski.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
i think now a days every team kinda plays like every scheme lets just play them all ..?????
There is something to this, but there is usually a base defense, and the other defenses are run to supplement. Of course, the so-called nickel defense is on the field more than base defense with all the multiple WR sets and the spread RB and TE all over the field.

Golden.
We need more speed at linebacker.

Jabril Cox would be excellent besides Cunningham, but he might go before our first selection in the draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
DW4's not the only QB that'll end up being a good QB. They can draft or trade for a QB. If they hit on the new QB they will be in a much better place.

I can't see why you have no faith in being able to find another QB. Of course you probably are a WOF and then this post makes plenty of sense.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
DW4's not the only QB that'll end up being a good QB. They can draft or trade for a QB. If they hit on the new QB they will be in a much better place.

I can't see why you have no faith in being able to find another QB. Of course you probably are a WOF and then this post makes plenty of sense.
How long did it take to find Watson? Why would anyone have faith in this management team? Elway can't find a qb and he was staring at 2 in 2017 and could've taken 1 i. 2018, yet its easy to find and develop them.

H_Town_Gaucho

Waterboy
Am I wrong in assuming that most teams that have built dynasties always start with the QB and then build around him, or is that not the case usually? And if that is the case most of the time, where are we going to get a QB as good as Watson if he leaves? If the new defense is on the field most of the game they better have some stamina, since they usually don't put enough points on the board in order to win games.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Blaclock fits as a 3 tech. If Watt stays, he fits too. Cunningham as a Will fits. Need a rangy mlb. Corners are more zone/ press and bail types. Reid fits also. Think about all the Mike backers under Lovie/Dungy. They all could run and cover, they need one of those. Dylon cole fits better than any of them.
Great! Now if only Cole was a Texan I could have some excitement.

powda

Am I wrong in assuming that most teams that have built dynasties always start with the QB and then build around him, or is that not the case usually? And if that is the case most of the time, where are we going to get a QB as good as Watson if he leaves? If the new defense is on the field most of the game they better have some stamina, since they usually don't put enough points on the board in order to win games.

I don't think there's a magic formula. You grab a great qb when you get the chance. Give him 3-4 years and take a shot at another if the 1st one isn't it. In the meantime time, build a defense and an offensive line. Wr's and rbs are the last pieces imo because of the short shelf life.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nope

Look at 3 of the final 4 this yr.

The Chiefs were a playoff team before Mahomes took over. Ditto the Packers and Rodgers.

Brady and the Bucs, enough said.

Debatable about the Bills and Allen but a case can be made that alot of pieces were in place when he was drafted. Taylor took them to the playoffs shortly before Allen took over at QB.

badboy

Hall of Fame
How long did it take to find Watson? Why would anyone have faith in this management team? Elway can't find a qb and he was staring at 2 in 2017 and could've taken 1 i. 2018, yet its easy to find and develop them.
I found him in September of 2014 in his first career start throwing for 435 yards and six touchdowns. I think if I remember correctly the Texans found him in 2017 1.12.

I don't think anyone here is saying it's easy to find and develop a quarterback. Many of us are saying though it's time for Deshaun to move on and that is mostly at his own doing from the little information we have. He has not come out and denied that he wants a trade. If he by some chance remains, will he be the 100% invested Watson that he was in 2020? Who will be his wide receivers? Does anyone think will Fuller will be back? I thought no one wants to play here? Of all the positions that we desperately need who do we get in the third round?

We did find DeShaun Watson and we can find somebody else. I think most of us believe there are options that can replace Watson. Perhaps not as good as he is now but good enough with perhaps 6-7 starters this season and perhaps 4 more in 2022 by trade and our own selections plus a couple more good players in free agency for Texans to be a contender in 2023.

badboy

Hall of Fame
What choice do we have? If he is G O N E he is g o n e. We did not have a quarterback before we drafted him. Yes it sucks to be back in that same situation we were in 2017 but here we are. Let's stop moaning and groaning about how bad it is and start making it better. Yes mistakes were made by Cal McNair all the way down through offensive line coach Pat Devlin. The latter is gone and the former probably is not going anywhere. 99% of the people on the board are not sending Christmas presents to Jack easterby. Is he out of the football side over the team? Is there anything we can do about it?

Your point about scoring only 24 points per game average in 2020 is Right On Target which indicates me with all his stats 18th Place in average scoring perhaps Watson was not the quarterback we need. I hope other teams are not reading this but it seems like an elite top 5 quarterback could lead this team to more than 24 points a game...

Texansballer74

The Marine

It's a one-gap system that features Cover 2, along with Cover 1, Cover 3, and a coverage he referred to as Under 10. (He goes into detail on Under 10 in this article, where he also provides lots of great information on the 4-3 front in general, a must-read for Bucs fans.)

Texansballer74

The Marine
But of those multiple coverages that Bowen considers integral to a Lovie Smith defense, only one uses a two-deep setup. So not only does Smith not base his defense solely around the Tampa 2 or even the Cover 2, named for their use of two deep safeties, he often uses defenses with one or three deep safeties.

The defense has become more multiple, but still maintain's Smith's identity.

Texansballer74

The Marine
You Run, or You Don't Play
According to Bowen, every NFL defense meets and talks about how they want to get turnovers. But Lovie Smith defenses are different. Turning the ball over, and scoring off of those turnovers, is a part of everything the team does in practice.

Bowen explained this best in an article for the Chicago Tribune, when he said "It doesn't matter if a ball falls off the back of an equipment truck," because someone from the Bears would scoop it up and score.

That means running, and a lot of it. Because picking up a loose football and returning it isn't a one-man job for Smith's teams. Every time a ball hits the turf, one man picks it up, while the rest of the team start to form a blocking convoy and set up for a score. And if you don't? You don't play, Bowen said.

Even walkthroughs are spent with running backs facing active-handed defenders trying to strip the ball away and score. Every moment of a Buccaneer practice this summer will be focused on scoring on defense. It's a part of the defensive DNA for Smith and his teams.

So why do players buy into this? Because everyone has a chance to make a play in Lovie's scheme. According to Bowen, on any given third down, any player might be the one to make a big play and change the course of the game. It's 11 players working together and filling their gaps, covering their ground, and using the right techniques that makes the Lovie Smith defense so well-respected and unique.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
But of those multiple coverages that Bowen considers integral to a Lovie Smith defense, only one uses a two-deep setup. So not only does Smith not base his defense solely around the Tampa 2 or even the Cover 2, named for their use of two deep safeties, he often uses defenses with one or three deep safeties.

The defense has become more multiple, but still maintain's Smith's identity.
Tampa 2, technically, is a cover 3 defense with the mlb taking the deep middle 3rd, which is one of the reasons that athletic mlb is so important. One of my pet peeves are people thinking that Tampa 2 is a Cover 2.