Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NC Make Or Break Decision

Agree to disagree.

Can you imagine fleecing the Browns and then not be able to pick the players you traded for? Cal's not gonna fire a guy after the 2nd yr of a rebuild when he didn't have a pick in the 1st rd his 1st year of the rebuild. Even Cal's not that stupid. If he is I'm through with this franchise.
3 years with 10 wins or less will demand it. Pretty sure Cal knows that Caserio is not the GM that O'Brien and Easterby told Cal he would be. I think Cal has figured out that Caserio is pretty much like O'Brien, Easterby, and all of those other Belichick file clerks and facilitators that have made a mess of the NFL.

I think part of it is Caserio is establishing a name for himself.

Is he one that will be pushed over like some other GMs or is he going to stand firm in his deals? Essentially don’t call him to try to low ball him. He also isn’t doing any sweet heart player deals that we saw Ingram get.

How many times have we been on the losing end of a trade? More than I can count.

How many times have we been on the winning side of the trade? Just one. And that’s the one that mattered the most and Caserio was driving the deal. 3 first round picks. We got to remember that.

Plus the guy had to navigate the Easterby influence.

To bring up his failures or missteps like he is a failure is over the top.

His successes have outweighed any perceived failures.

Caserio is going to be with us for a long time because he knows how a championship NFL team runs and works. He is tasked with a tall order working with the Texans.

Do we not remember when OB and Easterby fired the smart cap guy (name escapes me) and potentially other key front office personnel?

So far this is what he has navigated.

1: Dealing with meddling owners
2. Dealing with Easterby
3. Trading Watson
4. Drafting successfully
5. Managing cap

To act like Caserio is in a normal GM job working a normal team is ridiculous. The guy is having to remake the Texans and how they work to limit of what the meddling owners will allow.
Do you remember when Lurie 1st took over as owner? Do you remember Andy last years and the post superbowl stuff with Pederson and even Chip Kelly fiasco, There have been gms navigate this kind of dysfunction and still do great things early. Cry me a river.

Do you remember when Lurie 1st took over as owner? Do you remember Andy last years and the post superbowl stuff with Pederson and even Chip Kelly fiasco, There have been gms navigate this kind of dysfunction and still do great things early. Cry me a river.

Lol. All that stuff is just a pimple on the butt compared to what the Texans have gone through.

Every time you quote a team and talk about how similar they are to what the Texans go have gone through. Each you are wrong.

Lol. All that stuff is just a pimple on the butt compared to what the Texans have gone through.

Every time you quote a team and talk about how similar they are to what the Texans go have gone through. Each you are wrong.

True, those Philly teams had talent. They were just underachievers. The Texans are devoid of talent, minus Tunsil/Howard/Greenard. The Texans are building their team through the draft and filling in holes with solid cheaper FA's. Guys like Cann/Thomas/Hughes/Addison and the 6 draft picks. Add in a class next yr like last yrs draft class and we should start improvement on the team.

True, those Philly teams had talent. They were just underachievers. The Texans are devoid of talent, minus Tunsil/Howard/Greenard. The Texans are building their team through the draft and filling in holes with solid cheaper FA's. Guys like Cann/Thomas/Hughes/Addison and the 6 draft picks. Add in a class next yr like last yrs draft class and we should start improvement on the team.

Yep. All we got to do is look at the baseball team down the street. 3 100 loss seasons. Our 4 win seasons will be similar.

It takes time.

Why do you think he would want to come here? He turned down a second interview with the Vikings this past off-season because he wanted to stay with S.F.
Yea JB I'm also doubtful that he'd be interested in coaching in Houston even though he'd likely be lobbied by his wife, a native Houstonian, to move back to her hometown.

Reactions: JB
You telling me a team winning 3 games got talent, but one winning 4 don't? Off the top, you can't even guess the qbs and wrs before McNabb. The won 3 games and and ws terrible. Yall don't remember Lurie when he 1st bought the team? What they did was identify the coach and the coach identified the qb in that order. Lets not forget, Andy was never a oc either under holmgren, he was the qb coach.

You telling me a team winning 3 games got talent, but one winning 4 don't? Off the top, you can't even guess the qbs and wrs before McNabb. The won 3 games and and ws terrible. Yall don't remember Lurie when he 1st bought the team? What they did was identify the coach and the coach identified the qb in that order. Lets not forget, Andy was never a oc either under holmgren, he was the qb coach.
So who is the future hall of fame coach the Texans can hire?

Todd Pinkston
James Thrash

i only remember b/c i used to play with Philly in Madden ‘02 lol

So who is the future hall of fame coach the Texans can hire?
Andy wasn't a hall of fame coach when he left GB. In fact, most didn't even know who he was because he was the qb coach, not the oc. That was Sherman Lewis. How about this, lets stop hiring 63 yr old coaches back to back. What is the Jets record and why? I guess the Jets had alot of talent too, huh? Texans are the only team with 2 bridge coaches in 2 years.

Andy wasn't a hall of fame coach when he left GB. In fact, most didn't even know who he was because he was the qb coach, not the oc. That was Sherman Lewis. How about this, lets stop hiring 63 yr old coaches back to back. What is the Jets record and why? I guess the Jets had alot of talent too, huh? Texans are the only team with 2 bridge coaches in 2 years.
Who were the Jets coaches before Saleh? How many bridge coaches did they go through? Browns? Dolphins? Titans before Vrabel? Just admit it, you don't like Caserio and as long as he is the Texans GM you will find fault regardless of how the team does.
edit: You brought up Reid. Perhaps Caserio recognizes that the Texans were in such dire shape when he came in that there was no way to build a long term successful franchise in just a few years. Some other teams may have turned around quickly, but which ones that were as depleted as the Texans in both top roster and depth and had the salary cap constraints Caserio was facing?

Last edited:
Who were the Jets coaches before Saleh? How many bridge coaches did they go through? Browns? Dolphins? Titans before Vrabel? Just admit it, you don't like Caserio and as long as he is the Texans GM you will find fault regardless of how the team does.
The Jets had Gase for 2yrs if I remember and Bowles for like 5. I think Ryan was there 5 years also. Guess what all those guys had in common? None were in their 60s and all got at least 2 years, but most got 5. Part of my point is when you keep changing coaches, you keep changes systems, you keep changing players and it sets your team back. See the Browns when they were turning coaches and systems over. Look at any team that has a high front office turnover.

The Jets had Gase for 2yrs if I remember and Bowles for like 5. I think Ryan was there 5 years also. Guess what all those guys had in common? None were in their 60s and all got at least 2 years, but most got 5. Part of my point is when you keep changing coaches, you keep changes systems, you keep changing players and it sets your team back. See the Browns when they were turning coaches and systems over. Look at any team that has a high front office turnover.
Jets are on their 5th HC since 2006 and only Ryan has won any playoff games. Yes I get that Culley never should have been hired, or Lovie either. But blame the first on Watson and McNair and the second on McNair. Neither were NC picks

I feel like this has gotten a bit off track. Is anyone really sold on the QB’s this year? I feel like they would be 3 and 4 in next years draft and they’re just getting hyped up because we always need to hype up at least a few QB’s every year.

I like Young but he gets rag dolled in the NFL imo especially on a team with a less than perfect line. As for Stroud I just don’t any of the playmaking ability that is so prevalent in the top QB’s nowadays.

He doesn’t handle pressure all that well and he barely even tries to make things happen outside the structure of the play.

At this point if we got number 1 pick I’d try and trade back a few and grab whoever’s available out of Murphy, Carter, or Anderson

I feel like this has gotten a bit off track. Is anyone really sold on the QB’s this year? I feel like they would be 3 and 4 in next years draft and they’re just getting hyped up because we always need to hype up at least a few QB’s every year.

I like Young but he gets rag dolled in the NFL imo especially on a team with a less than perfect line. As for Stroud I just don’t any of the playmaking ability that is so prevalent in the top QB’s nowadays.

He doesn’t handle pressure all that well and he barely even tries to make things happen outside the structure of the play.

At this point if we got number 1 pick I’d try and trade back a few and grab whoever’s available out of Murphy, Carter, or Anderson
You're guessing about where a qb lands in a particular draft. Remember Hackenburg and Barkley?

Jets are on their 5th HC since 2006 and only Ryan has won any playoff games. Yes I get that Culley never should have been hired, or Lovie either. But blame the first on Watson and McNair and the second on McNair. Neither were NC picks
So what is Nick, a figurehead? He didn't do this, he couldn't do that. !st time I've heard of a backboneless gm. When will it stop and he starts getting blame of this terrible roster and coaching hires. I don't remember any hall passes given out with Smith and Gaine.

You're guessing about where a qb lands in a particular draft. Remember Hackenburg and Barkley?
Or even last year... how many were projected to be in first round?
2017 no one thought there would be 3 taken in top 15

So what is Nick, a figurehead? He didn't do this, he couldn't do that. !st time I've heard of a backboneless gm. When will it stop and he starts getting blame of this terrible roster and coaching hires. I don't remember any hall passes given out with Smith and Gaine.
When will you face reality? Smith never worked for Cal and Gaine never had a chance to make any decisions.

Or even last year... how many were projected to be in first round?
2017 no one thought there would be 3 taken in top 15
Fields and Lawrence were thought of as 1st rd picks. Lance was an unknown even though he had a great year before covid and had great physical tools. Wilson became the mormon Mahomes after pro days and such. I brought up Hackenburg and Barkley becuase people were talking about waiting for them because of their early success, but as they played more,their flaws got bigger and bigger. Neither were drafted high,neither did anything in the nfl. You evaluate every qb based that year and if you can get him. No gm I've ever spoken to at the senior bowl ever said they pass on a franchise graded qb because the following year there might be another one. If the scouts and gm grade a qb as a difference making, franchise altering qb, they're trained not to pass him regardless of what else is there or who is in the next years class.

Fields and Lawrence were thought of as 1st rd picks. Lance was an unknown even though he had a great year before covid and had great physical tools. Wilson became the mormon Mahomes after pro days and such. I brought up Hackenburg and Barkley becuase people were talking about waiting for them because of their early success, but as they played more,their flaws got bigger and bigger. Neither were drafted high,neither did anything in the nfl. You evaluate every qb based that year and if you can get him. No gm I've ever spoken to at the senior bowl ever said they pass on a franchise graded qb because the following year there might be another one. If the scouts and gm grade a qb as a difference making, franchise altering qb, they're trained not to pass him regardless of what else is there or who is in the next years class.
So why did you quote me?

Coaching is definitely debatable but there's just no way you can seriously blame the state of the roster on Caserio at this point. His first year we had no cap and barely any draft capital and his second year cap space wasn't much better and we aren't even through 1 year of his first real draft. Absolutely no way you can make any judgement off that.

Yes I get that Culley never should have been hired, or Lovie either. But blame the first on Watson and McNair and the second on McNair. Neither were NC picks
I hear you. But Culley was hired & his 2nd HC search looked equally off the rails. Cal, imo, wants to be hands off.

I believe he felt compelled to intercede. I know I would have.

I wanted Caserio to succeed. I’m just not seeing it.

And the QB they identified never won a SB.

Although he did throw up on his team mates shoes in a SB.

You cant make this stuff up.

There's not a QB that should be drafted in the top 10 in this draft. IMHO

I hear you. But Culley was hired & his 2nd HC search looked equally off the rails. Cal, imo, wants to be hands off.

What specifically are you not seeing? Did you not like the last draft?

Cal did intercede for political reasons. Caserio wanted to hire Gannon.

Cal's currently paying the price for his decisions. I just hope Lovie and company aren't allowed to have a voice in the QB position in the next draft.

Off track is what we do.

Drafting is not a guarantee and we should draft only with the hope of getting a significantly better player. Until the game against the Eagles I thought Stroud would be better. What the last game whispered to me was I want to see this team against another good team in the Giants. That should be a very good showcase if the Eagles game was what I thought it was a huge Improvement. I think most of us only want to move on from Davis if he is not the QB of the future. I am not saying he has to be Tom Brady but significantly better than he has been playing.

Interestingly you mentioned Anderson and Jalen Carter who have not had very good seasons. Anderson started extremely slow and was basically manhandled in Tennessee by their left tackle. At least Carter has injury clouding his future but as others have said I just don't see him as a top five pick for Houston. Of those three I would probably go with Myles Murphy but I have not watched much of him as I wanted to.

Last edited:
What specifically are you not seeing? Did you not like the last draft?

Honestly I see one impact player & a bunch of excuses for every not named Damien Pierce.Nothing wrong with the players per se, but Stingley & Pitre don’t fit what is traditionally known as the Tampa 2.

That’s what we’re seeing. We’re spinning it, but that’s the truth.

Cal did intercede for political reasons. Caserio wanted to hire Gannon.

For political reasons. He couldn’t hire his buddy because he was suing theTexans. He couldn’t hire his 2nd choice because it would look really bad in light of the lawsuit & every one but Gannon was already hired by a competent team with a competent interview process.

Cal's currently paying the price for his decisions.

I agree with that. Can’t blame him. I thought Caserio would make at least a good GM. It’s only been two years, I get it. But this is the clusterest rebuild I ever did see, especially when you realize it hasn’t started yet.
I just hope Lovie and company aren't allowed to have a voice in the QB position in the next draft.
Why’s that? I thought you were happy with Mills, straight from Pep’s circle of influence.

Why did it look off the rails to you?
I truly believe his 1st choice was Flores, then McCown.

He should have at least interviewed Pederson or Bowles. I mean he interviewed Caldwell.

if he’s a GM with a vision for the team, can you see what that vision was based on who was interviewed?

Didn’t interview Saleh.

I truly believe his 1st choice was Flores, then McCown.

He should have at least interviewed Pederson or Bowles. I mean he interviewed Caldwell.

if he’s a GM with a vision for the team, can you see what that vision was based on who was interviewed?

Didn’t interview Saleh.
Flores may have been his first choice, I don't believe McCown was at all. You don't know who he may have contacted to see if they had any interest in becoming Houston's HC
Saleh was hired by the Jets 1 week after NC was named GM. I don't think he had started looking at coaches by that time, he was still learning the Texans

Coaching is definitely debatable but there's just no way you can seriously blame the state of the roster on Caserio at this point. His first year we had no cap and barely any draft capital and his second year cap space wasn't much better and we aren't even through 1 year of his first real draft. Absolutely no way you can make any judgement off that.
Coaching impacts a roster as much as having a cap. Coaching help guys overachieve and get better through the season, especially young players. Who have you seen get better as the season has prolonged? Pierce and I can say Nico seemed to get better. Last year, who got better as young players? I forgot, they had the 2nd oldest roster in the nfl. The floor was closer to the ceiling. Pitre looks like he's hustling backwards and Stingley looks avg so far. That's coaching and it has 0 to do with cap space. I didn't say Caserio is doing a bad job, he looks avg and a non leader because of his hiring. When guys young players are coached up, the create cheap labor and outperform their draft status. Again, its coaching.

Flores may have been his first choice, I don't believe McCown was at all. You don't know who he may have contacted to see if they had any interest in becoming Houston's HC
Saleh was hired by the Jets 1 week after NC was named GM. I don't think he had started looking at coaches by that time, he was still learning the Texans
I'm still trying to understand getting 3 interviews and trying ro learn the Texans. Isn't safe to assume, listening to Caserio talk that he's not going to jump into something without knowing all the dynamics? He doesn't seem like a risk taker when he could've stayed in the comfy confines of of NE. I'm pretty sure he knew everything he needed to know about the roster.

I'm still trying to understand getting 3 interviews and trying ro learn the Texans. Isn't safe to assume, listening to Caserio talk that he's not going to jump into something without knowing all the dynamics? He doesn't seem like a risk taker when he could've stayed in the comfy confines of of NE. I'm pretty sure he knew everything he needed to know about the roster.
How could he have known the coaches that were on staff when he was hired? I don't understand your first sentence

Honestly I see one impact player & a bunch of excuses for every not named Damien Pierce.Nothing wrong with the players per se, but Stingley & Pitre don’t fit what is traditionally known as the Tampa 2.

For political reasons. He couldn’t hire his buddy because he was suing theTexans. He couldn’t hire his 2nd choice because it would look really bad in light of the lawsuit & every one but Gannon was already hired by a competent team with a competent interview process.

I agree with that. Can’t blame him. I thought Caserio would make at least a good GM. It’s only been two years, I get it. But this is the clusterest rebuild I ever did see, especially when you realize it hasn’t started yet.

Why’s that? I thought you were happy with Mills, straight from Pep’s circle of influence.

1. They're rookies, they're learning, give them time. RB is the easiest position to make an early impact. The Tampa2 won't be here much longer.

2. Caserio wanted Gannon, Janice/Easterby wanted McCown. Cal wanted Lovie. The search looked so messed up because ownership didn't let Caserio hire the guy he wanted.

3. This is year 1 ok the rebuild. It's the 1st tr that Caserio had a full compliment of draft picks and he still didn't have cap space to work with. It always was going to take a couple of yrs to clean up this mess.

4. It doesn't bother me at all. I know with Lovie the team is going to suck and that equals higher draft picks.

5. Did you really like the Caserio hire to begin with? Did you like the draft capital Caserio got in the Derrick trade?

7. Patience is a virtue. The Texans are a bad football team with a bad coaching staff. I would blame all of this on Caserio, but I don't think Caserio had anything to do with the Culley/Lovie hires. I guess you do.

Best case scenario is that only one of the top QBs really stands out and we end up with the first pick.

Stingley and Pitre are impact player players as well, just haven't been given the opportunity to really showcase that b/c there's not a whole lot around them.... that will be here in 2 years anyway. Pierce is getting that opportunity to b/c There's just a little bit more around him & the fact that playing RB is amongst the easiest skill positions to come in and make an impact.

Most of this is unsubstantiated...even the thought that Gannon was the guy NC wanted..But Kevin O'Connell & Joe Lombardi were all still available in and around the time we chose to go with Lovie......both of whom we interviewed......and if it was as simple as hiring a black face b/c of the lawsuit by Flores, Leslie Frazier was still out there...someone we interviewed in 2021 and could've easily doubled back to. So while i do believe the lawsuit by Flores had some impact on this 2nd HC selection, i think it was minimal. To some degree, Lovie was chosen b/c he had a black face. But i think more importantly in Cal/NC's mind, he was the right pick b/c he was already here & had dealt with 1st hand and seen the mess that the DW4 fiasco had left this organization in....& that was valuable vs. bringing someone in from the outside & being unsure if they could thrive in that enviornment.

Having said all that tho, just on the candidates we have interviewed over the last few years alone, it should be apparent what type of HC NC and Cal want....O'Connell, Gannon, Flores...hell even Bienemy, McCown and Ward as token interviews lol........They want guys on the younger side..which is the trend in the NFL. My opinion is it's just been a matter of circumstance that they haven't been able to land that young guy.

The simple answer here is that he has no track record of developing a young qb between Rex Grossman and Jameis Winston. The long answer is B/c Lovie, while he has done some great things in the NFL, was for all intents and purposes a hail mary shot. if it works great if not, he was likely not going to be the guy to carry this franchise into the future anyway...bascially David Culley 2.0. In addition to what i said about him above, The reality is he was a guy that could extend the relative stability in the org while this team continued to crawl out of the hole.. They likely hit Lovie with the same proposal regarding Mills they hit Kubiak in his 1st year with David Carr & told him take it or leave it...Other's chose to leave it. Lovie chomping at the bit for another shot, & the pay raise accepted the challenge. Can't blame him, but even with him elevating Pep with his track record of working with young qbs who went on to become stars can't help Lovie if he insists on this conservative offense he continues to go with.

Last edited:

He's done an admirable job imo..Fans like you don't appreciate the job he's done thus far b/c you've been expecting it to be reflected in the W column & it hasn't hit there quite yet. If our situation was just a salary cap thing..sure i could understand the frustration. But it wasn't & we didn't just start from 0...The DW4 fiasco combined with the salary cap crap set us back to like -2. So alot of what NC has done over these last few years has just been to get us back to baseline 0 & its hard to argue that we aren't in a MONUMENTALLY better position now than we were just a year ago. The salary cap is looking good & we've got a bevy of picks coming up in the next few drafts to reset the talent pool on this team.

He's done an admirable job imo..Fans like you don't appreciate the job he's done thus far b/c you've been expecting it to be reflected in the W column & it hasn't hit there quite yet. If our situation was just a salary cap thing..sure i could understand the frustration. But it wasn't & we didn't just start from 0...The DW4 fiasco combined with the salary cap crap set us back to like -2. So alot of what NC has done over these last few years has just been to get us back to baseline 0 & its hard to argue that we aren't in a MONUMENTALLY better position now than we were just a year ago. The salary cap is looking good & we've got a bevy of picks coming up in the next few drafts to reset the talent pool on this team.

The future is bright.

2. Caserio wanted Gannon,
Did Gannon get 3 interviews?

I don’t think Gannon was a choice until he was the only choice. That’s why I’ve said he should have chucked everything & started over.

You believe what you want. But from what I saw I’m sticking with my interpretation

Fans like you don't appreciate the job he's done thus far b/c you've been expecting it to be reflected in the W column & it hasn't hit there quite yet.
Not at all.

The way Casterio set about building the team in year one was more of a cheap rebuild. Last season was more of the same.

A total rebuild should bring a ridiculous amount of free cap to spend in year 3 & a ridiculous amount of draft picks acquired from trading players (I know we don’t have much) & 2021/2022 draft picks into 2023/2024 drafts.

He screwed up any possibility of trading what talent we did have, whiffed on the trades he did make (excluding the WD40 trade) & traded future picks for 2021/2022 drafts & players who didn’t make the team.

If fans like you were honest you’d admit this isn’t what a rebuild should look like. It’s more like threading water.

Not at all.

The way Casterio set about building the team in year one was more of a cheap rebuild. Last season was more of the same.

A total rebuild should bring a ridiculous amount of free cap to spend in year 3 & a ridiculous amount of draft picks acquired from trading players (I know we don’t have much) & 2021/2022 draft picks into 2023/2024 drafts.

He screwed up any possibility of trading what talent we did have, whiffed on the trades he did make (excluding the WD40 trade) & traded future picks for 2021/2022 drafts & players who didn’t make the team.

If fans like you were honest you’d admit this isn’t what a rebuild should look like. It’s more like threading water.

Do u really understand how jacked up our cap was with the contracts BoB and co had us saddled with? You couldn’t just wipe that slate clean in 1 offseason man…. Alot of those contracts had to be strategically moved off the books…& still wound up having a whole lot of dead money hitting the cap. And that’s not even counting the 10 million we gave DW4 to stay away and his looming 40 mil per.

I agree, its not a “normal” rebuild..b/c its not a normal situation. We are just now getting back to baseline.

Last edited:
Do u really understand how jacked up our cap was with the contracts BoB and co had us saddled with? You couldn’t just wipe that slate clean in 1 offseason man…. Alot of those contracts had to be strategically moved off the books…& still wound up having a whole lot of dead money hitting the cap. And that’s not even counting the 10 million we gave DW4 to stay away and his looming 40 mil per.

I agree, its not a “normal” rebuild..b/c its not a normal situation. We are just now getting back to baseline.
Some people expect an all-pro at every position and miracles to happen daily. Sh!t doesn't stink and opinions are more factual than truth

Did Gannon get 3 interviews?

I don’t think Gannon was a choice until he was the only choice. That’s why I’ve said he should have chucked everything & started over.

You believe what you want. But from what I saw I’m sticking with my interpretation
Shocking post of the night.

I'm telling you Janice and Easterby wanted McCown. you can choose to believe this or not. One thing is for sure Lovie wasn't a Caserio hire. Another thing is for sure, the dysfunction in the Texans or appears to be never ending.

Caserio's hands were figuratively tied on this HC hunt. Cal wanted to bring back Lovie, and for some reason, was sold on Pep, so any new HC prospect had to agree to keep Lovie and Pep. When potential candidates found out about that, they weren't very excited about interviewing with the Texans. Since the candidates weren't allowed to bring in their own guys, Caserio's HC hunt dried up. Add in the lawsuit, Cal made the call to hire Lovie.

Interesting Article in The Athletic:

2023 NFL Draft midseason rankings: The top 50 prospects in college football
Dane Brugler
Nov 2, 2022

1. Will Anderson Jr., edge, Alabama*
After a truly elite season in 2021, Will Anderson Jr., hasn’t quite been on that same level this season but hasn’t been far off, either. Despite opposing teams game planning against him, he ranks top seven in the FBS in pressures (37) and leads the SEC in tackles for loss (12.0).

Although his missed tackles (especially in the backfield) are bothersome, Anderson has the lower-body twitch, flexible body type and crafty hands to be an impactful NFL defender, both at stopping the run and rushing the passer.

2. Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia*
After playing sparingly over the first month due to a knee injury, Jalen Carter returned Saturday against Florida and played 20-plus snaps for the first time since Georgia’s opener. In doing so, he looked like the same disruptive force we’ve come to expect. Carter has special block-destruction skills due to his explosiveness and body control. He will be one of the first players drafted, if his medicals are clean.

3. Bryce Young, QB, Alabama*
“If Bryce Young were bigger, he would be the clear top quarterback” is something we’ll hear a lot over the next six months. While he is an outlier due his size, Young (listed at a generous 6-foot-0, 194 pounds) is well above average in several critical factors at the position. He processes very quickly and has uncanny vision to understand everything going on around him and deliver accurate throws.

Not everyone will be able to overlook his diminutive size, but I’ll bet on his special instincts.

10. C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State*
Quarterbacks in today’s NFL can’t just be passers. They also have to be creators. When everything is on time and stays structured, C.J. Stroud has impressive pacing and accuracy to carve up defenses (his fourth-quarter toss to Emeka Egbuka last Saturday was gorgeous).
However, my concerns with Stroud entering the season have been highlighted the last two weeks against Iowa and Penn State. The stats have looked nice, but he has been inconsistent negotiating pressure and doesn’t look nearly as comfortable outside of structure.

https://theathletic.com/3751194/2022/11/02/nfl-draft-2023-rankings-midseason/

Dane Brugler
Nov 2, 2022

After a truly elite season in 2021, Will Anderson Jr., hasn’t quite been on that same level this season but hasn’t been far off, either. Despite opposing teams game planning against him, he ranks top seven in the FBS in pressures (37) and leads the SEC in tackles for loss (12.0).

Although his missed tackles (especially in the backfield) are bothersome, Anderson has the lower-body twitch, flexible body type and crafty hands to be an impactful NFL defender, both at stopping the run and rushing the passer.

After playing sparingly over the first month due to a knee injury, Jalen Carter returned Saturday against Florida and played 20-plus snaps for the first time since Georgia’s opener. In doing so, he looked like the same disruptive force we’ve come to expect. Carter has special block-destruction skills due to his explosiveness and body control. He will be one of the first players drafted, if his medicals are clean.

“If Bryce Young were bigger, he would be the clear top quarterback” is something we’ll hear a lot over the next six months. While he is an outlier due his size, Young (listed at a generous 6-foot-0, 194 pounds) is well above average in several critical factors at the position. He processes very quickly and has uncanny vision to understand everything going on around him and deliver accurate throws.

Not everyone will be able to overlook his diminutive size, but I’ll bet on his special instincts.

Quarterbacks in today’s NFL can’t just be passers. They also have to be creators. When everything is on time and stays structured, C.J. Stroud has impressive pacing and accuracy to carve up defenses (his fourth-quarter toss to Emeka Egbuka last Saturday was gorgeous).
However, my concerns with Stroud entering the season have been highlighted the last two weeks against Iowa and Penn State. The stats have looked nice, but he has been inconsistent negotiating pressure and doesn’t look nearly as comfortable outside of structure.

Dane sees Anderson and Carter the way I do.

Not the way LeeBig does. I would be happy to draft either one of these guys.

How would y'all feel if the draft went something like this

Pick #1 Houston trades with Detroit at pick #5 Detroit's 2023 1st/2nd/4th Detroit's 2024 1st/3rd and Detroit's 2025 2nd

The picks went

1. Young 2. Stroud 3. Anderson 4. Carter

Then then trade down to # say 11 for Atlanta's 2023 1st/2nd and a 2024 1st.

You would end up with two 2023 1sts, say #11 and # 15. Three 2023 2nds Houston/Dtroit/Atl. Four 2024 1sts, Detroit's 2024 3rd and Detroit's 2025 2nd.

I'm not saying this will happen, but it could. This isn't a Badboy crazy trade scenario. This would setup the Texans for the next decade. They could get their QB in 2024 and after trading around more even have more choices in 2025. This is Luhnow level thinking. Is Cal going to let Caserio operate like this? Not a chance in Hadies. But if he did my 1st eight picks would look something like this.

1-11 Johnston WR
1-15 Washington TE
2-34 Verse DE
2-39 Ika DT
2-52 Van Prann C
3-65 Zach Charbonnet RB
3- Dalton Kincaid TE
4- 97 Cody Mauch OG/C.

Plus four 2024 1sts.

I hope the draft goes something like this, although it's unlikely. I could see the Lions trading up for Stroud though.

Dane Brugler
Nov 2, 2022

DT- Carter and DE- Anderson would be a coup in RD1. Toss in ILB, Jack Campbell (Iowa) along with S, JL Skinner (Boise State) and the Texans defense would look wholly different in 2023.

My concerns with both Young and Stroud, would their touted traits translate to a team like the Texans? They can look spectacular with Ohio State and Alabama b/c of the sheer talent they're surrounded by, but when that talent isn't abundant at the NFL level are they still the same special QB's? I don't see either QB as game changers for the Texans. Also, I'd hate to throw another RD1 pick at a supposed "Franchise QB" who the Texans are ill-prepared to groom.

Back