Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NC Make Or Break Decision

It would .... guess we need to focus on Defense .... Boring ! :mcclain: That's what he was thinking !

I Love Petrie, but still would've rather had Caserio pick Sam Williams. That guys a stud. Against Detroit 3 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 tackle for loss.

P

man, I loved Petrie selection and of course Pierce. Would have gone different direction in round one instead.
Agree with you comment about the first round.
Our GM & HC seem to discount significantly any concerns about injury history of a prospect even someone takin as high as Stingley and then 15th overall is too high for an interior Olineman IMO.

I really wanted Williams in rd. 2.
That’s cool, high upside edge, never got into him but Cowboys drafted Sam, belly full of defensive playmakers, so he must be good. Just thought replacing Justin Reed on back-end with equal or better talent way to go and Texans/Caserio nailed it.

Reactions: JB
That’s cool, high upside edge, never got into him but Cowboys drafted Sam, belly full of defensive playmakers, so he must be good. Just thought replacing Justin Reed on back-end with equal or better talent way to go and Texans/Caserio nailed it.
In hindsight, drafting Williams instead of Metchie would have been sweet, but I'd rather have Pickens

Last edited:
In hindsight, drafting Williams instead of Metchie would have been sweet, but I'd rather have Pickens

Not funny but both Metchie and Pickens had medical red flags which is why they lasted to 2nd rd. Then Metchie/Texans received his double whammy. LAC has a term they use for such events, it’s called Chargering. Maybe we need our own term Texaning?

But heck yeah, Pickens sure looks like steal of the WR class 👍

Like I said I love Petrie, but talented pass rusher out weighs talented Safety.

Like I said I love Petrie, but talented pass rusher out weighs talented Safety.

no dispute. But, premium FS importance has escalated closer, seeing more and more creep up into the first round, prevalence with two high safety. On opposite end, Baylor JT Woods, a third rd pick by LAC huge disappointment for immediate returns, requiring more developmental time. Difference in one round grade greater than would be for high traits edge rusher. Petrie immediate impact/starter.

no dispute. But, premium FS importance has escalated closer, seeing more and more creep up into the first round, prevalence with two high safety. On opposite end, Baylor JT Woods, a third rd pick by LAC huge disappointment for immediate returns, requiring more developmental time. Difference in one round grade greater than would be for high traits edge rusher. Petrie immediate impact/starter.

Premium pass rusher trump's S.

The defense would be better if Williams was the pick. A defense with Williams and Greenard at DE and Carter,, Collins and a draft pick along with Hinish would be very solid.

I'm a front 7 and CB type guy though.

The defense would be better if Williams was the pick. A defense with Williams and Greenard at DE and Carter,, Collins and a draft pick along with Hinish would be very solid.

Would you really have been fine with Eric Murray starting all year?

Would you really have been fine with Eric Murray starting all year?
I would've played King at fs and kept Sheffield in addition to drafting a guy late. Would it have worked out, nope but it can't be worse than it is right now. Pass rushers with Williams speed are very rare and I like Petrie.

Maybe, maybe not? Seems their strategy was going with foundation pieces on the back end. Every year there are 5 or more good to great edge players while your lucky to find one or two of these hybrid safety’s who are interchangeable with corners both in the slot and boundary.

this was a particularly good free safety class, along with Petrie, there were two more in Brisker and Daxton Hill in a time secondaries are under attack. The edge was even more loaded, Travon Walker, Aidan Hutchinson 1-2, Kayvon Thibodeaux 4 (who I would have been fine with selecting) and list keeps going well into 2nd rd. with your boy Williams.

my point would be the premier FS is a much harder get (fewer to be found) than edge player. Very few edges also play all three downs but Free Safety’s never come out, they’re your field generals. Petrie is also an upgrade over Reid.

Sam Williams does look like a premium edge, of course Dan Quinn is proving to be a premium DC. Instead of passing on Petrie how about just selecting Williams over Metchie? That would have been the better pick,

I like how Carsterio creates a storm then ducks out the way and makes his coaches do the explaining. He did it with Culley, now with Lovie. Typical

How many of you think HOU will draft a QB in the 1st round?

I don’t think Caserio is ready to throw the towel in on Mills. Mills will have 28 Texans starts under his belt and Caserio has another load of picks to work with to upgrade the talent. The missing piece for 2022 was Cap space to add some strong veterans, but that shouldn’t be the case in 2023. I think Caserio gives Mills another shot in 2023 and addresses other areas of need. If Mills flames out in 2023……the new QB should have a much better Texans team in which to start his NFL career.

I don’t think Caserio is ready to throw the towel in on Mills. Mills will have 28 Texans starts under his belt and Caserio has another load of picks to work with to upgrade the talent. The missing piece for 2022 was Cap space to add some strong veterans, but that shouldn’t be the case in 2023. I think Caserio gives Mills another shot in 2023 and addresses other areas of need. If Mills flames out in 2023……the new QB should have a much better Texans team in which to start his NFL career.
You can do both at the same time. They have picks and money even though they will have to overpay for players. Dolphins had a fire sale, next year won 9 games and 10 after that and drafted Tua. Fired the staff, brought in a offensive minded coach, add wr's and a pass rushe who the paid and are in the mix already. At this point,2 years in, Dolphins won 9 games after trading an all pro db and probowl lt. Its called roster management right?

The Cooks situation

You think Caserio created the Cooks situation? Maybe we are starting to see why Cooks has been traded so many times despite being a good player. I think Easterby was causing some issues behind the scenes, which was why he was fired during the season. Cooks got offended because his buddy was gone and started acting out.

IMO, Caserio did Cooks a solid with the extension. I’m tired of these whiny turds signing new contracts then deciding they want out. F them. There’s plenty to question Caserio about but Cooks created his own situation with his unprofessional behavior

You can do both at the same time. They have picks and money even though they will have to overpay for players. Dolphins had a fire sale, next year won 9 games and 10 after that and drafted Tua. Fired the staff, brought in a offensive minded coach, add wr's and a pass rushe who the paid and are in the mix already. At this point,2 years in, Dolphins won 9 games after trading an all pro db and probowl lt. Its called roster management right?

Texans have attempted the method mentioned n your post multiple times in the past with zero success stories. My guess it’s time for a new plan of attack. I’d much rather have an impact player on the defensive line and at wide receiver versus another QB being tossed to the wolves.

Texans have attempted the method mentioned n your post multiple times in the past with zero success stories. My guess it’s time for a new plan of attack. I’d much rather have an impact player on the defensive line and at wide receiver versus another QB being tossed to the wolves.
It's really simple build the team out then get your QB. It keeps your championship window open longer. This is unless there's a franchise QB in the next draft.

If Lovie is still here.
I still like the idea of going after Demeco which would be a truly inspired move by the McNairs but are they imaginative and intuitive enough to pull off such a bold move ? Dammit I think not ! But wow the city would love it !
Even after just one year here I think Lovie might step aside for a young black man like DeMeco but his exit might require a really big payday from ownership.
But I dunno would Demeco be willing to come to this circus in H-town even though it's his wife's hometown ?

I still like the idea of going after Demeco which would be a truly inspired move by the McNairs but are they imaginative and intuitive enough to pull off such a bold move ? Dammit I think not ! But wow the city would love it !
Even after just one year here I think Lovie might step aside for a young black man like DeMeco but his exit might require a really big payday from ownership.
But I dunno would Demeco be willing to come to this circus in H-town even though it's his wife's hometown ?
The McNair's will never hire a guy who sued them. So yeah, this is a pipe dream. Why do fans romanticize former players?

You think Caserio created the Cooks situation? Maybe we are starting to see why Cooks has been traded so many times despite being a good player. I think Easterby was causing some issues behind the scenes, which was why he was fired during the season. Cooks got offended because his buddy was gone and started acting out.

IMO, Caserio did Cooks a solid with the extension. I’m tired of these whiny turds signing new contracts then deciding they want out. F them. There’s plenty to question Caserio about but Cooks created his own situation with his unprofessional behavior
Curious, what is being seen to why Cooks has been traded in the past? I agree that his recent actions that we're speculating on are frustrating from a fan's (me) perspective, but Cooks has never been associated with selfish or troublesome type behavior. Cooks AND Caserio did the extension and I'm sure there were things stated on both sides that led to the agreement. Do we know if both ends have been held up? I believe it was Texian who said Cooks should have been traded before the 2021 season. I didn't think so then but I was on board with him being traded before this past draft.

The McNair's will never hire a guy who sued them. So yeah, this is a pipe dream. Why do fans romanticize former players?
Romanticize Demeco ? That's an interesting term to use here because it's a very inaccurate description of my sentiments of DeMeco who I think very possibly will be a successful college or NFL HC in the near future, and I truly believe those expectations are realistic.

Romanticize Demeco ? That's an interesting term to use here because it's a very inaccurate description of my sentiments of DeMeco who I think very possibly will be a successful college or NFL HC in the near future, and I truly believe those expectations are realistic.

Depends on the situation he enters.

Saleh has done a good job so far.

Why do you think he would want to come here? He turned down a second interview with the Vikings this past off-season because he wanted to stay with S.F.

we can only hope this is how he’s thinking about it. I think Mills will have the leg up to be the starter next year, but he’ll be in more of a competition with a veteran next year & he’ll have a shorter leash. Some have called for Kyle Allen to get a look THIS year…maybe he gets that serious consideration and look next year if Mills comes in looking shaky/bad.

but in regards to the latter part of your post, everyone should see that this is the best possible scenario…….outside of Mills succeeding that is. For 1, 2023 will be Lovie’s 2nd year at the helm. So if he flames out with Mills and what will project to be a more talented team than this 2022 team, then he & Mills can be canned having had 2 years to try to work it out. Then the incoming HC will be free to pick HIS qb in the 2024 draft….and still be able to add more talent.

Are we talking about the Dolphins who haven't done squat since Shula retired? Seriously, I know we have done less, & I believe in stepping stones & what not...

But the Dolphins, really? Tua is not their future. The only ones who don't know that is Tua & evidently one frequent poster on TT.

Tua is Mills. Mr Right now until I find the QB of the future.

• Haha
Maybe we are starting to see why Cooks has been traded so many times despite being a good player. I think Easterby was causing some issues behind the scenes, which was why he was fired during the season. Cooks got offended because his buddy was gone and started acting out.
Maybe the Texans were shutting Cooks out because they were trying to prove something to Easterby. Maybe he was caught in FO crossfire & we're only seeing his reaction.

imo, there are no good guys here. Not from a fan's perspective

Maybe the Texans were shutting Cooks out because they were trying to prove something to Easterby. Maybe he was caught in FO crossfire & we're only seeing his reaction.

imo, there are no good guys here. Not from a fan's perspective
Or maybe he injured his uterus.

Doesn't really matter. The rebuild lives on. Only thing is Caserio should have paid some of Cooks contract.

Or maybe he injured his uterus.

Doesn't really matter. The rebuild lives on. Only thing is Caserio should have paid some of Cooks contract.

I think part of it is Caserio is establishing a name for himself.

Is he one that will be pushed over like some other GMs or is he going to stand firm in his deals? Essentially don’t call him to try to low ball him. He also isn’t doing any sweet heart player deals that we saw Ingram get.

How many times have we been on the losing end of a trade? More than I can count.

How many times have we been on the winning side of the trade? Just one. And that’s the one that mattered the most and Caserio was driving the deal. 3 first round picks. We got to remember that.

Plus the guy had to navigate the Easterby influence.

To bring up his failures or missteps like he is a failure is over the top.

His successes have outweighed any perceived failures.

Caserio is going to be with us for a long time because he knows how a championship NFL team runs and works. He is tasked with a tall order working with the Texans.

Do we not remember when OB and Easterby fired the smart cap guy (name escapes me) and potentially other key front office personnel?

So far this is what he has navigated.

1: Dealing with meddling owners
2. Dealing with Easterby
3. Trading Watson
4. Drafting successfully
5. Managing cap

To act like Caserio is in a normal GM job working a normal team is ridiculous. The guy is having to remake the Texans and how they work to limit of what the meddling owners will allow.

Since Caserio didn't hire Lovie, I doubt he will be let go with Lovie. Caserio's going to get to use the draft picks he got in the Derrick trade before the McNair's even consider moving on from Caserio. Probably after the 2025 season
Disagree, IMO I do believe Daniel Calhoun had seen enough and got his belly full after having a front-row seat to Caserio's back-to-back head coach hiring SNAFUs. Calhoun made that crystal clear when he took over the hiring process to hire Lovie. Can't see Calhoun going down another Caserio hiring a head coach road again. Those days are over. Since Daniel Calhoun fired Jack Easterby I think his buddy Nick Caserio is not far behind. The Bill O'Brien fiasco may finally be over!

I think Lovie and Caserio would be gone after this season except I don't think the McNairs have the nerve for back-to-back-to-back FUBAR. After disastrous 2022 and 2023 seasons, they will have no choice.

Disagree, IMO I do believe Daniel Calhoun had seen enough and got his belly full after having a front-row seat to Caserio's back-to-back head coach hiring SNAFUs. Calhoun made that crystal clear when he took over the hiring process to hire Lovie. Can't see Calhoun going down another Caserio hiring a head coach road again. Those days are over. Since Daniel Calhoun fired Jack Easterby I think his buddy Nick Caserio is not far behind. The Bill O'Brien fiasco may finally be over!

I think Lovie and Caserio would be gone after this season except I don't think the McNairs have the nerve for back-to-back-to-back FUBAR. After disastrous 2022 and 2023 seasons, they will have no choice.

Agree to disagree.

Can you imagine fleecing the Browns and then not be able to pick the players you traded for? Cal's not gonna fire a guy after the 2nd yr of a rebuild when he didn't have a pick in the 1st rd his 1st year of the rebuild. Even Cal's not that stupid. If he is I'm through with this franchise.

Back