Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

national opinion of us

texanhead08

All Pro
I remember watching Florio/Simms the week of the Buffalo game and neither wanted to take the Texans because of how they know we always implode in big games.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I remember watching Florio/Simms the week of the Buffalo game and neither wanted to take the Texans because of how they know we always implode in big games.
But Simms loves him some Bill O’Brien. I remember him saying our fan base needs to chill out and appreciate what Obrien brings to the table.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I posted this in the Watson thread, been laughing my ass off all day!
its such a treat, should be posted everywhere. you could make a whole series out of those characters. "ohh I hurt myself answering the phone" LOLLLL

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I saw that last night and immediately thought of this thread. :spit:

Gotta' laugh at the pom pom wavers with their chests puffed out: "derr, we don't care what anyone thinks, we love our logo!!".

The entire point of ALL of this is ENTERTAINMENT, and for many of us that includes the ENTIRE NFL, not just some backwater, occasionally-barely-above-mediocre team in Houston.

That means many of us enjoy the national media about the NFL, because we are football fans, not just Texans fans.

And while I feel no emotions about this team or opinions, I have been highly amused by the almost universal perspective that Bill O'Brien is a freakin' clown, unqualified for being a GM, and only perceived as a somewhat decent HC because he's coached in a crappy division for 6 seasons (where "division champion" often means you're not even the best team in a 4 team division!).

But, here's where the rubber meets the road with regards to national perspective: FREE AGENT PERCEPTION. Players watch the same shows we do. I guarantee that many NFL players, sitting at home bored, have watched the above Pat McAfee clip, as well as all the other shows that are laughing at Bill O'Brien's utter incompetence. He's playing checkers with PROFESSIONAL GENERAL MANAGERS that are skilled in 3D chess!!

Why would any free agent want to be a Texan beyond getting paid? So now O'Brien the GM King can only pick from a pool mercenary players that are knowingly joining a dysfunctional crap-show in H-town. Yeah, that's great for the "team culture". :tv:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Gotta' laugh at the pom pom wavers with their chests puffed out: "derr, we don't care what anyone thinks, we love our logo!!".

The entire point of ALL of this is ENTERTAINMENT, and for many of us that includes the ENTIRE NFL, not just some backwater, occasionally-barely-above-mediocre team in Houston.

That means many of us enjoy the national media about the NFL, because we are football fans, not just Texans fans.

And while I feel no emotions about this team or opinions, I have been highly amused by the almost universal perspective that Bill O'Brien is a freakin' clown, unqualified for being a GM, and only perceived as a somewhat decent HC because he's coached in a crappy division for 6 seasons (where "division champion" often means you're not even the best team in a 4 team division!).

But, here's where the rubber meets the road with regards to national perspective: FREE AGENT PERCEPTION. Players watch the same shows we do. I guarantee that many NFL players, sitting at home bored, have watched the above Pat McAfee clip, as well as all the other shows that are laughing at Bill O'Brien's utter incompetence. He's playing checkers with PROFESSIONAL GENERAL MANAGERS that are skilled in 3D chess!!

Why would any free agent want to be a Texan beyond getting paid? So now O'Brien the GM King can only pick from a pool mercenary players that are knowingly joining a dysfunctional crap-show in H-town. Yeah, that's great for the "team culture". :tv:
You're right, this is just entertainment and this offseason has been very entertaining. I cant wait to see if the media/fans are right or if the Texans org is right. The bonus is if BOB's right the Texans will be a much better team and if the media/fans are right BOB will be gone in 2-3 yrs and no amount of b!tching is going to change this unless 2-14 happens.

As far as FA's wanting to come here the Texans dont spend $$$$ on top tier FA's so this really isn't that big of a deal.

Uncle Rico

amazing isnt it? What a time to be alive!

my buddy said we might be looking at another Marvin Lewis situation where the owners just cant be bothered to be pulled away from counting their money so they just let a guy run free for as long as the bottom line isnt affected. Thats the scary part.

Its too convenient to have a death grip on the AFC S banners and not look at the context for each season.

Bottom line guys with the overall record that OBrien has dont get dual promotions and placed among some of the ALL TIME football greats who have also had those roles - they get put on a hot seat.

Chris Harris Jr was rumored to spurn the Texans offer in free agency due to the OBrien conundrum for what its worth so the ripples are already evident. OBrien thinks he can coach up any practice hero to take the place of an All Pro and its just a nauseating egomaniacal approach to coaching that I havent seen in quite some time.

Cal McNair just cant be bothered - Happy Madison just floating his life away in the pool.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

my buddy said we might be looking at another Marvin Lewis situation where the owners just cant be bothered to be pulled away from counting their money so they just let a guy run free for as long as the bottom line isnt affected. Thats the scary part.

Its too convenient to have a death grip on the AFC S banners and not look at the context for each season.

Bottom line guys with the overall record that OBrien has dont get dual promotions and placed among some of the ALL TIME football greats who have also had those roles - they get put on a hot seat.

Chris Harris Jr was rumored to spurn the Texans offer in free agency due to the OBrien conundrum for what its worth so the ripples are already evident. OBrien thinks he can coach up any practice hero to take the place of an All Pro and its just a nauseating egomaniacal approach to coaching that I havent seen in quite some time.

Cal McNair just cant be bothered - Happy Madison just floating his life away in the pool.
We are definitely looking at a Marvin Lewis situation. That much is painfully obvious. Cal is a beta personality and simply unqualified to be a leader of men. So he delegates that authority to the daddy-approved alpha personality by granting him seemingly unlimited and unchecked power to ruin...errr...run his franchise.

I keep chuckling at those opinions of using the Rams/Ramsey as a justification for O'Brien's incompetence.

Well, guess what? The Rams look stupid, too:

Bad NFL moves costly for all 32 teams: Rams, Texans foolishness forcing others to pay the price

Whenever NFL owners and execs next get together for league meetings and hobnob in social settings once that is acceptable again, the Texans and the Rams contingents might want to keep their distance, anyway. A little space could go a long way with them, seeing as their indiscretions on the trade market are now having a negative impact on the contract extension market.

These two teams, foolishly, made blockbuster trades for young players – giving up a bounty of picks the likes of which are rarely seen in this league – without having anything close to an extension hashed out with the players involved. And now it has created a logjam for others teams looking to secure their own talent into the future, and coupled with the desperate situations these two franchises find themselves in, and a global pandemic, could create a prolonged cooling period in several critical markets.

Full Article
The thing this article points out is beyond national fan/media perception of the Texans.

It's about the perception of other NFL TEAMS of the Texans front office.

They know O'Brien is a rube as GM. They know they can play him for a fool, because he's set that example.

This part just makes me laugh:
The Texans traded two first-round picks and a second-round pick for Laremy Tunsil, a very good left tackle but not one considered in the top five in his position. They did so, recklessly and ridiculously, without having any sense of the young man's price point, heaping unchecked leverage to his camp. Then Tunsil went out and stayed healthy, played good football, and now the Texans find themselves completely splayed out at his mercy during contract talks.
Exactly as everyone around the league expected.
See, the logo fans don't want to comprehend the big picture. They want to ignore the obvious. Hopes and dreams in spite of reality.

But, it's Occam's razor: the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. And there is a general consensus among fans, media, and other NFL teams that O'Brien is a joke as GM. Time will ultimately prove this out, too.

But in this case, the fellow front offices won't be looking askew at the agents and players involved. It will be straight at their peers, who have now opened up the floodgates in a way you rarely see.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

This has been going on for yrs with the Texans org. Ownership doesn't care as long as the $$$$ keeps coming in.

You're buddies have it wrong,

BOB's won playoff games

How many playoff games has Lewis won even when he had the more talented team?

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I always thought Charlie Casserly would be the Texans all-time worst GM and that when they kicked Kubiak to the curb the worst that could happen is that they hired a coach who didn't work out. Now I know that Casserly will never be more than second-worst GM in Texans history and that hiring Butt-Chin pretty much destroyed the franchise.

Admittedly with the Texans owners it was only a matter of time before that happened but still. I did not see all that coming. Bob McNair on day one as the biggest bumpkin owner possible was the most savvy owner we'd ever see? Mind boggling. He just got dumber as he got older and Cal takes it to a whole new level.

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
This has been going on for yrs with the Texans org. Ownership doesn't care as long as the $$$$ keeps coming in.

You're buddies have it wrong,
BOB's won playoff games

How many playoff games has Lewis won even when he had the more talented team?
I was about to respond with the same when I saw this. The answer to that last question is ZERO for those not following.

Bill O'Brien couldn't hold Marvin Lewis' jock when it comes to post season failure and ineptitude.
We pretty much set the example for teams to emulate in regards to that aspect.
Not that you'd want to mind you...

Uncle Rico

I was about to respond with the same when I saw this. The answer to that last question is ZERO for those not following.

Bill O'Brien couldn't hold Marvin Lewis' jock when it comes to post season failure and ineptitude.
We pretty much set the example for teams to emulate in regards to that aspect.
Not that you'd want to mind you...
winning one playoff game vs a backup QB and the other with Deshaun WAtson heroics does not constitute a vote of confidence from 95% of Texans fans right now. Just sayin'. Last year the Colts came into town and embarrassed OBrien. KC has had two different record setting playoff games vs this guy.

Lewis went unchecked for years in a harder division than the AFC S .. OBrien is fronting with those banners hoping people dont dive into the individual seasons and find the reasons "why".

Hey its "ONLY" year 7 for OBrien .. he still has 8 more to go to match Lewis - Im pretty confident he can change your mind LOL

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
winning one playoff game vs a backup QB and the other with Deshaun WAtson heroics does not constitute a vote of confidence from 95% of Texans fans right now. Just sayin'. Last year the Colts came into town and embarrassed OBrien. KC has had two different record setting playoff games vs this guy.

Lewis went unchecked for years in a harder division than the AFC S .. OBrien is fronting with those banners hoping people dont dive into the individual seasons and find the reasons "why".

Hey its "ONLY" year 7 for OBrien .. he still has 8 more to go to match Lewis - Im pretty confident he can change your mind LOL
DW4 was more of the problem than the answer in that game. He got lucky.

Yr 2 without RS. Yr1 where he gets to make the final call on all things Texans.

I don't remember BOB having the GM title before this yr.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Different team playing in a much tougher division. Come on gents not comparable
Didn't the Titans make the AFCCG?

How many teams made the playoffs from the AFC North this year. When Lewis was HC they lost to everybody like the Chargers/ Our very own Texans etc... They didn't just lose to AFC North teams in the playoffs.

You're reaching to try to prove a point.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
My God all these months and we are still beating the same dead horses and having the same pointless, stupid arguments. No wonder people stop coming around here, its like a political forum but replace your favorite politicians with Texans players, coaches and F/O. Isn't anyone else bored of this yet?
Buckle up!

It’s only year 7 of the 3 year rebuild!

Texansballer74

The Marine

How many teams made the playoffs from the AFC North this year. When Lewis was HC they lost to everybody like the Chargers/ Our very own Texans etc... They didn't just lose to AFC North teams in the playoffs.

Didn’t the Titans barely make it in? Didn’t we play our scrubs in week 17?

That Division was one of the toughest during that time.

And why are you responding to members like me.?

Mangler

Toro de España
I’m talking about getting into the playoffs. A lot of stuff had to work in their favor. One being the Texans not taking that game serious.
Well, yeah they just had to beat us and they were in. O’Brien sat all the starters so the Titans walked right in. Nobody saw the ass whooping they gave the Ravens coming though. That’s for sure! Imagine how bad the Ravens would have embarrassed us had we faced them instead of the Chiefs? Oh, wait...

Texansballer74

The Marine
Well, yeah they just had to beat us and they were in. O’Brien sat all the starters so the Titans walked right in. Nobody saw the ass whooping they gave the Ravens coming though. That’s for sure! Imagine how bad the Ravens would have embarrassed us had we faced them instead of the Chiefs? Oh, wait...
It wasn’t a surprise to me. They made Jackson one dimensional. They also knew he couldn’t throw in tight windows nor the out patterns.

Byrds Man

Waterboy

The Titans did beat the Patriots at Foxboro and the Ravens in Baltimore so the AFC South can't be that bad.
I realize that everyone thinks OB is the worst GM/HC in history right now, but what if it turns out he wasn't crazy but instead crazy like a fox? If so, there will be a lot of crow to be served on this forum.
Remember, I said IF !!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My God all these months and we are still beating the same dead horses and having the same pointless, stupid arguments. No wonder people stop coming around here, its like a political forum but replace your favorite politicians with Texans players, coaches and F/O. Isn't anyone else bored of this yet?
You should visit the draft thread and put in a vote.

Back and forth is very welcome without all of the vitriol.
Yep RS screwed this franchise up bad and it's going to take some time to overcome his incompetence.

His last act was to get a QB that didn't fit what his HC wants to do

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Titans did beat the Patriots at Foxboro and the Ravens in Baltimore so the AFC South can't be that bad.
I realize that everyone thinks OB is the worst GM/HC in history right now, but what if it turns out he wasn't crazy but instead crazy like a fox? If so, there will be a lot of crow to be served on this forum.
Remember, I said IF !!
There will never be any crow eaten here. If something good happens it's all DW4, if something bad happens it's all BOB.

That's the way this debate was set up by the supposed smartest man on the MB.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Remember, I said IF !!
Good coaches don’t get embarrassed routinely in the playoffs like we do. They most definitely don’t continuously make the same mistakes every year. His teams still starts off very lethargic.

But I get your drift the division is bad like it was in his first three seasons.

austins23

Hall of Fame
I spent the next four years with season tickets driving from Austin. Those were some brutal trips, especially the drive back after mostly disappointing games.
I was so excited when I got my season tickets (first playoff year) I went to EVERY home game for two years straight. I live in the RGV, 326 miles one way from home to Reliant/NRG. Loved it. Spent a crap ton of money though. Slowed down after that, 3-5 games a year and playoffs.
didn’t renew this year. Too long a drive to watch those “lay an egg” gamed. Especially the playoff clunkers.
I’ll still go to one or two a year and an out of town game a year. Just not worth that much of an investment anymore. Not to me anyway.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Nationally people are just as baffled as many of us are. I felt coming into this offseason that the Texans would have been shrewd in bolstering up the defense in FA and the draft while also picking up a running back. They could get back on track, maybe even trade back a little in the draft. O’Brien decided instead of getting back on track he’d just blow it up and drive the train off the mountain.

Uncle Rico

Given Fuller's injury history — he's missed 22 games during his four-year career — and his redundancy with the newly acquired Cooks, it remains to be seen if this will be the last move that the Texans make at the position. The Texans, after all, still have Kenny Stills and the former Dallas Cowboy and Green Bay Packer Randall Cobb in the mix.

With respect to Watson, whose time to throw (and, as a result, pressure rate) both decreased significantly in 2019, this is an interesting move for the young quarterback. Passes to Hopkins a season ago were let go in an average of 2.57 seconds, while Cooks never had a season with the Rams where his targets came faster than 2.66 seconds, and they got slower each year he was in L.A.

While the New Orleans Saints operated with quicker times to throw with Cooks, his average depth of target has been above 13 each year since 2015, while Hopkins' was under 11 a season ago. If Houston wants to continue improving the way in which it protects its young signal-caller, it will either have to alter Cooks' game or replace Fuller directly with Cooks, which likely lowers the return on this trade
From a bird's-eye view, this looks like another head-scratcher for the Texans and O'Brien. With Deshaun Watson's rookie deal coming to a close, the space necessary to sign veterans simply won't be there in the future, but they continue to trade away assets that could be used to ensure that there is young talent in the pipeline to fill in once the quarterback is taking up an increasingly big part of the cap.

While we are bullish on the former Clemson quarterback — who has earned almost five wins above replacement in two and a half seasons — winning amid this kind of decision-making will be tough moving forward.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nationally people are just as baffled as many of us are. I felt coming into this offseason that the Texans would have been shrewd in bolstering up the defense in FA and the draft while also picking up a running back. They could get back on track, maybe even trade back a little in the draft. O’Brien decided instead of getting back on track he’d just blow it up and drive the train off the mountain.
How so?

They were probably going to pick a WR at either 40 or 57, so what's really changed?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I always thought Charlie Casserly would be the Texans all-time worst GM and that when they kicked Kubiak to the curb the worst that could happen is that they hired a coach who didn't work out. Now I know that Casserly will never be more than second-worst GM in Texans history and that hiring Butt-Chin pretty much destroyed the franchise.

Admittedly with the Texans owners it was only a matter of time before that happened but still. I did not see all that coming. Bob McNair on day one as the biggest bumpkin owner possible was the most savvy owner we'd ever see? Mind boggling. He just got dumber as he got older and Cal takes it to a whole new level.
There will never be a worse GM in any sport ever.

It's simply impossible for anyone else to be this dumb and bad in a position of GM and head coach