Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

national opinion of us

mussop

Hall of Fame
This is how our team is perceived now. Thanks OB and fat head McNair.

It's going to be difficult for any NFL team to strip the mantle of 2020 offseason losers from the Houston Texans. Rarely have I seen a trade as universally panned by the scouting community, the analytics community, the player community, and the coaching community the way the DeAndre Hopkins trade was.
That is a difficult task to pull off in and of itself, and when one considers it also include the Texans taking on one of the worst contracts in football in the process in David Johnson (don't get me wrong; it was a home run for the player and the agent, just not for the Cardinals front office that agreed to it), and it sets the bar pretty low. Throw in the Randall Cobb contract (just compare it to what Emmanuel Sanders got for instance, and the loss of DJ Reader, and the fact they still have to pay Deshaun Watson and Laremy Tunsil and, probably, Will Fuller, and this is a recipe for disaster. But hey, at least they still have Barkevious Mingo leftover from when they paid half of Jadaveon Clowney's contract to trade him to the Seahawks last year … except, well, Mingo is a pure journeyman and on the market again.
Still, they have a full complement of draft picks to fill the gaps … except, well, they drastically overpaid for Tunsil in the trade last year, too, so they are in win-now-or-bust mode. Yikes. Coach/GM/football czar Bill O'Brien is becoming a figure of great derision in Houston these days it seems -- be careful what you wish for in those power grabs – and it just might be that, even less than a week into the official start of the League Year, the Texans are going to run away and hide with this crown.

banned1976

sleeper mode
It’s going to look even worse next offseason when we all see the draft picks the Texans gave away. Because unless some players have career years this season the Texans probably aren’t going to the playoffs in the 2020/2021. Or the rest of the AFC South is just as bad or runs into Colts bad luck like someone major retiring...like Luck.

Speaking of the AFC South, the Texans are still the only team in it that hasn’t been a participant in the AFC championship game. As bad as the Jaguars and Titans have been over the last 10 years, they’ve had some highly successful seasons. While the Texans have proudly waved those AFC South banners.

We’ve laughed at the Jaguars and Titans but so far the joke has actually been on us. We’ve just been lucky enough that for awhile the Texans front office did exceptionally well drafting in the first two rounds. The super stars and solid players taken in those rounds have somewhat sheltered us from league wide ridicule. Well...

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Check it out! Even the draftniks are getting into it LOL

57-Houston Texans: Jaylon Johnson, CB Utah
It’s a shame the Houston Texans cannot draft a GM because that is their biggest need
, but they also need help at cornerback. Jaylon Johnson should find significant playing time immediately.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
This is kinda where i'm at. Who gives a rip. I'm taking the same stance as i have with the Astros and the national media and baseball fans.
Yep, could care less what the national media thinks about any Houston sports team. This isn’t new for me either. I’ve not cared for decades. No use getting upset or excited about something the national media says or doesn’t say. Half the time they’re just parroting the popular narrative and can’t even get the facts right.

Texansballer74

The Marine
We give a F because we want to see a winning product on the field. Getting rid of your best player in his prime knocks down those chances to win a Superbowl a freaking lot. It crazy how some butched and moaned about the talent in this team. But are fine with losing one of the best recievers in the freaking game for nothing in return.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
We give a F because we want to see a winning product on the field. Getting rid of your best player in his prime knocks down those chances to win a Superbowl a freaking lot. It crazy how some butched and moaned about the talent in this team. But are fine with losing one of the best recievers in the freaking game for nothing in return.
I’m not fine with it, hated it, I want BOB gone but I could still care less what the national media hacks think or the snipes they get in. F*ck them and the horse they rode in on.

BTW, they STILL aren’t going AFTER who they SHOULD and that’s Cal McNair!

Texansballer74

The Marine
I’m not fine with it, hated it, I want BOB gone but I could still care less what the national media hacks think or the snipes they get in. F*ck them and the horse they rode in on.

BTW, they STILL aren’t going AFTER who they SHOULD and that’s Cal McNair!
Understand and I agree. But man it is nice when them jokers are talking positive about our teams.

To be honest I blame them all. Mainly Cal because he's allowing Bill to much power over this team.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Understand and I agree. But man it is nice when them jokers are talking positive about our teams.

To be honest I blame them all. Mainly Cal because he's allowing Bill to much power over this team.
The media pile on will continue, just as the idiots did with the sign stealing scandal. So much misinformation and straight out lies on that subject.

However if we REALLY think about this.....and yes we all have here....if you’re Bill ******* O Brien and after all this Cal hands you the KEYS to the castle whose FAULT is that?? BOBs? No, it’s Cal McNair, he's the systemic problem now, and guess what, after BOB is gone Cal will STILL be here so who knows what **** show we might get next.

Not that I really care or it can be saved but real journalism took a nose dive years ago. Social media, fake news and half ass research has ruined the profession. Since when did quoting “tweets“ amount to an article? Sorry, I need to get a drink.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Lol, like beauty, this **** is all in the eye of the beholder. I didn't like the trade at all & i'm not "fine" with losing 1 of the greatest players the Texans franchise has ever had. But alot of these same national guys were around back in 90's and bashed the Oilers for 35-3............were the same ones who bashed the Texans for taking Mario over VY & RB..........bashed them for reaching for Tytus Howard.......& were "laughing" at us for 51-7 this past season. There's always going to be something...So why even give a rip about what they think?

CPTTexan

Waterboy
Lol, like beauty, this **** is all in the eye of the beholder. I didn't like the trade at all & i'm not "fine" with losing 1 of the greatest players the Texans franchise has ever had. But alot of these same national guys were around back in 90's and bashed the Oilers for 35-3............were the same ones who bashed the Texans for taking Mario over VY & RB..........bashed them for reaching for Tytus Howard.......& were "laughing" at us for 51-7 this past season. There's always going to be something...So why even give a rip about what they think?
So you're saying the media has been right about Houston football more than they've been wrong.....given your examples? The only one they should feel ignorant about is Mario over VY/RB. The rest are perfectly fine to rip us about. Howard is a crapshoot at this point since he was just drafted last year......however, when you go in talking about drafting your next LT and that's not what you get out of it, then it's fair game.

It's embarrassing that Houston football gives the media so much to laugh at. Yet, the owner doesn't learn a lesson and goes "all in" on giving mediocrity the keys to the city in O'Brien. Like others have said.....this is a Cal McNair/Janice McNair problem. Bill O'Brien has been given authority he hasn't earned or deserved, and he's showing the world that he doesn't know what to do with it properly......but, he was given free reign so that's mainly on the ownership. And they are clueless.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

I don't ever recall a time they have really talked positive about our teams. I will grant you I rarely watch the Astros and never the Rockets but for the Texans it doesn't matter what we are doing they have never given us credit. We slapped NE around and it was because Tom Brady wasn't a good QB any more, Watson pulls two amazing plays against the Bills and all anyone talks about is who will be Dallas new HC, we go on a 9 game undefeated streak and it gets ignored. This predates even OB and Watson and even the Texans themselves. Houston football teams have not gotten any respect from the national media ever since the Oilers blew up against the Bills.

Sad fact is we just don't have the hardcore fan bases and history that teams like the Browns, Steelers and GB have nor the winning records that teams like NE and Seattle have. I would actually be curious as to have big our fan base is compared to other NFL teams since we also split our fan base more than most cities what with Dallas being in state.

RGV82

Random guy
I don't ever recall a time they have really talked positive about our teams. I will grant you I rarely watch the Astros and never the Rockets but for the Texans it doesn't matter what we are doing they have never given us credit. We slapped NE around and it was because Tom Brady wasn't a good QB any more, Watson pulls two amazing plays against the Bills and all anyone talks about is who will be Dallas new HC, we go on a 9 game undefeated streak and it gets ignored. This predates even OB and Watson and even the Texans themselves. Houston football teams have not gotten any respect from the national media ever since the Oilers blew up against the Bills.

Sad fact is we just don't have the hardcore fan bases and history that teams like the Browns, Steelers and GB have nor the winning records that teams like NE and Seattle have. I would actually be curious as to have big our fan base is compared to other NFL teams since we also split our fan base more than most cities what with Dallas being in state.
Split is being very generous. Dallas has dominated the state of Texas fanbase for years. Not sure how accurate this map is, but its an interesting image of fandom broken down by state.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
So you're saying the media has been right about Houston football more than they've been wrong.....given your examples? The only one they should feel ignorant about is Mario over VY/RB. The rest are perfectly fine to rip us about. Howard is a crapshoot at this point since he was just drafted last year......however, when you go in talking about drafting your next LT and that's not what you get out of it, then it's fair game.

It's embarrassing that Houston football gives the media so much to laugh at. Yet, the owner doesn't learn a lesson and goes "all in" on giving mediocrity the keys to the city in O'Brien. Like others have said.....this is a Cal McNair/Janice McNair problem. Bill O'Brien has given authority he hasn't earned or deserved, and he's showing the world that he doesn't know what to do with it properly......but, he was given free reign so that's mainly on the ownership. And they are clueless.
Unless you're a perennial winner ala the Pats, they're going to be right more often than wrong with every team in the league. What they do is throw a bunch of **** on the wall and see what sticks. The only difference here with the Texans is the target they've had to throw things at over the last few years (BoB) has made himself a very easy target to hit..But their "opinions" still stems from talking heads putting out somewhat slanted narratives for the sake of getting the most clicks & views; Guys like you buy into it b/c it lines up with what you believe...even though most times you don't have all the info; In the case of Brian Gaine getting fired, you never get all the info. The Nuk trade is just the latest in that slanted B.S.

Easy for them & guys who believe what you believe to run with the story that Micheal Irvin told regarding the trade of Nuk b/c it was framed as the only "why". Well in the subsequent days since it has now been well chronicled by 3 reputable guys in Shefter, Breer & King that at the real heart of it for the Texans was that Nuk wanted to be paid more in line with Julio..a near 3-4 million raise a year....something that wasn't going to be feasible for the Texans given their upcoming contract situations with Tunsil and DW4. Has anyone here really taken that into account though? Nope..b/c it doesn't fit their narrative.

So you say, still they should've gotten more. Well again, lets look at ALL the info. Schefter put out that the Texans talked with the Eagles about trading Nuk. That team is about as thirsty for a WR as a team could get, let alone a 3 time pro bowler. & yet, it is reported that they ultimately decided that the price tag was too high to pay for what the Texans were asking for him & what they found out that Nuk wanted. Sure, we don't exactly know what the Texans asked for, but chances are if the Eagles thought it was too much, it's safe to say that a 1st was involved.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
In most cases, the national media etc is just giving an unbiased opinion of what's really going on. They don't have fan blinders on.

Besides the Astros (who earned it), they don't have some bias against the city of Houston. BOB brought this all on himself and of course as already mentioned, Cal is the bigger problem because he's allowing it.

As a fan I would care, because it's a barometer for what is really going on.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
In most cases, the national media etc is just giving an unbiased opinion of what's really going on. They don't have fan blinders on.

Besides the Astros (who earned it), they don't have some bias against the city of Houston. BOB brought this all on himself and of course as already mentioned, Cal is the bigger problem because he's allowing it.

Unbiased? I'll give you a few that give fair takes, but in this world of "hot takes" saying that the overall consensus of the national media commenting on this are unbiased........that's being a little generous. Most of these guys are little more than fans like us the only difference is they have platforms on TV to spew thier garbage.

I mean when Nick Wright was here he was clueless...now all of a sudden b/c he has a platform on TV, he's more credible? C'mon man.

As a fan you really shouldn't care b/c the same guys that will build you up are the ones that will tear you down...See the Astros.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Unbiased? I'll give you a few that give fair takes, but in this world of "hot takes" saying that the overall consensus of the national media commenting on this are unbiased........that's being a little generous. Most of these guys are little more than fans like us the only difference is they have platforms on TV to spew thier garbage.

I mean when Nick Wright was here he was clueless...now all of a sudden b/c he has a platform on TV, he's more credible? C'mon man.

As a fan you really shouldn't care b/c the same guys that will build you up are the ones that will tear you down...See the Astros.
Quoted for truth

As far as the Astros go, KISS the RING

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Yep. Chaos is still a form of entertainment if you don't connect your own personal identity to your local sports teams.

Local media has a vested financial interest in keeping some of the facade intact. National media doesn't have that burden.

ChaosSportsClub.png

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Unbiased? I'll give you a few that give fair takes, but in this world of "hot takes" saying that the overall consensus of the national media commenting on this are unbiased........
Okay, so are ALL the media and fans outside of Houston wrong for having the opinion that BOB is not a good HC and horrible GM? Also, that the Hopkins trade was horrible?

Wait, I'll answer that. No, they are right on. That's my "hot take".

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Okay, so are ALL the media and fans outside of Houston wrong for having the opinion that BOB is not a good HC and horrible GM? Also, that the Hopkins trade was horrible?

Wait, I'll answer that. No, they are right on. That's my "hot take".
Ok Skiiyup!

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I tend to not really care per say what the talking heads think but at the same time I like listening to them because they do tend to have more information than the average fan if for no other reason than that they literally get paid to research and talk sports. Its also a matter of taking select bits of what they say. Irvin going on about what was said between OB and Hopkins I take with a grain of salt because that's as much for clicks and headlines as it is anything but talking about the trade and how little we got for what we gave up isn't click bait its simply facts.

In other words I listen to guys like Irvin and Stephen A. Smith for entertainment and on occasion a different take but its the guys that have cold hard numbers and comparison trades that I really pay attention to and all those things say this was a bad deal.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I thought this thread would be how the nation looked at Texans. You know cowboys with six guns and ten gallon hat, cow manure covered boots; sexy women with chaw of terbacky and a half warm Lone Star in her dishwasher redden hands. Dang you ole boys talking about dat der school boy game

Uncle Rico

LOL (its behind a paywall, but you get the overall gist - maybe some other brave soul wants to download the app and all that tiring keystroking im just too indifferent to care)

Tucker: The Texans’ Bill O’Brien could already be the worst GM ever

Free agency in the NFL is in the rearview mirror for the most part. The NFL Draft is still more than three weeks away. What exactly is there to talk about in the world of sports in general and the NFL in particular?

May I suggest Bill O’Brien?

I think a compelling case can be made that the trade the Texans’ general manager/head coach recently made, sending DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals, is the worst in NFL history. All the television debate shows and sports talk radio shows can feel free to chew on that one for a day or two.

But wait, there’s more.

If you look at the personnel decisions he has made since Brian Gaine was surprisingly fired in June after just 17 months, I believe a strong argument can be made that he is also the worst GM of all time, albeit with a relatively small sample size. That could be a healthy discussion on my podcast or Radio.com show for a few days as well.

Uncle Rico

The Hopkins debacle is the latest in a string of bad trades that O’Brien has concocted. Before the start of the 2019 NFL season, he traded Pro Bowl pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney to the Seahawks for a third-round pick and a pair of backup linebackers. He also sent a bushel of draft picks to the Dolphins to land offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, who had a great 2019 season while also leading the league in false starts by a mile.
One bad trade is funny; two is a trend; three should legally allow a fan base to vote out their team’s leadership. After the Hopkins trade, your league group chat would be going ballistic to accuse this fantasy owner of collusion, incompetence, or both, and soon your buddy who had been dying to get into the league would get promoted to take his spot. In real life, though, it’s O’Brien who keeps getting promoted

The Draft? What Draft!Seven Texans have been named to at least three Pro Bowls since 2010: Hopkins, Clowney, quarterback Deshaun Watson, pass rusher J.J. Watt, receiver Andre Johnson, offensive tackle Duane Brown, and running back Arian Foster. Six of those players—everybody but Foster—were drafted by the Texans with a first-round pick. After struggling to contend for most of their first decade in the league, the Texans won the AFC South six times in the past nine years thanks primarily to that run of successful drafting.Now the Texans have traded three of those players without getting a first-round pick in return. In 2017, they traded Brown to the Seahawks for second- and third-rounders. (Before O’Brien’s time as GM, but still noteworthy.) Last year, they traded Clowney to Seattle for a similarly underwhelming package, and we’ve already covered how baffling the Hopkins deal is. Meanwhile, Houston has shed draft picks. The Texans gave up two first-round picks and a second-round pick to acquire Tunsil and Kenny Stills. (Who knew Tunsil, King of the False Start, was basically three or four times better than DeAndre Hopkins? That seems to be the case from the trade returns!) The team also dealt two third-rounders last year, one each for Duke Johnson and Gareon Conley.The Texans’ history clearly messages that the best way to build an NFL franchise is to gather a lot of first-round picks and use them effectively. O’Brien didn’t get that. He’s stripping the Texans of the stars they gained through smart drafting without giving the team an opportunity to replenish the roster with future first-rounders.
He Still Believes in Running BacksLast year, the top 11 running backs in the league by rushing yardage were all 25 or younger, and each of them played for the team that drafted them. The reason is obvious—playing running back puts a ton of wear and tear on the body, and players can’t keep it up for very long. The best way to acquire an effective running back is to draft one.

Oddly, Bill O’Brien seemingly has decided the only way to acquire running backs is to trade for veterans. On Monday, Houston traded for Johnson, a 28-year-old who has been in precipitous decline since leading the league in scrimmage yards and total touchdowns in 2016. Last year, Johnson struggled to beat out Chase Edmonds in training camp, and then was usurped on the depth chart by Kenyan Drake. Some running backs look like cheetahs—lightning-fast, nimble, explosive. In 2019, Johnson looked more like the lethargic wildebeest who gets separated from his pack and eaten:
Third time in less than a year that the Texans have traded for a veteran running back. Last year, Houston traded a third-round pick for Duke Johnson and traded offensive guard Martinas Rankin to the Chiefs for Carlos Hyde. Johnson and Hyde turned out to be a decent tandem for the Texans—Hyde ran for more than 1,000 yards and Johnson was the team’s primary receiving back.
But trading for running backs seems ineffective—and expensive! Houston gave up a third-round pick for 26-year-old Duke Johnson! In the third round of last year’s draft, the Bills selected Devin Singletary and the Bears got David Montgomery—both running backs who had better years than Johnson and will develop on inexpensive contracts while Johnson turns 27. They gave up a starting offensive lineman for Hyde! And THEY GAVE UP DEANDRE HOPKINS FOR DAVID JOHNSON!
The smart thing to do would be to use mid-to-late-round picks on running backs—unfortunately, O’Brien has traded them all.
He Doesn’t Like to Shop Around
Having multiple jobs makes it hard to be singularly focused on any of them. If an NFL team has a dedicated general manager, for example, he can field calls from the 31 other teams to assess the best deal available for a superstar talent. When someone is the head coach, quarterbacks coach, general manager, fire marshal, treasurer, grill master, general counsel, and king of the franchise, though, he doesn’t have time for that due diligence. If he gets one decent offer from a team, he has to take it—after all, he also has to grind tape from 3 p.m. to midnight while squeezing in enough room to design the team’s new uniforms.

This effect was made abundantly clear in 2019. The Texans realized they could kill two birds with one stone by dealing Clowney, who was holding out for a new contract, to Miami while acquiring Tunsil to fill a hole at left tackle. However, Clowney wasn’t under contract, and had no desire to play for the Dolphins. So the Texans traded Clowney to a team he did want to play for—the Seahawks. But Seattle knew the Texans had no leverage because they were only interested in dealing with one other team and promptly ripped them off. Then Houston went back and completed a separate trade with the Dolphins—who also knew the Texans had no leverage— and promptly ripped them off.

We don’t know the tick-tock of the Hopkins trade the way we do with the Clowney-Tunsil debacles. But do we think this was the best offer the Texans could have gotten for DeAndre Freakin’ Hopkins? Of course not! They got the same package the Falcons gave up for Hayden Hurst! This must’ve been the only offer Bill O’Brien heard, and he thought it was fine.

Alas, nothing seems to sink O’Brien’s influence in the Texans organization. Some thought he would be fired as head coach after blowing a 24-0 lead in the postseason; instead he was promoted to GM. By 2025, O’Brien will probably be in charge of all of the Texans’ football operations, plus the team’s advertising, social media, and concessions. He’s gonna trade the stadium supply of hot dogs for a bunch of those weird individually packaged circus peanuts that old people give out on Halloween.
Public opinion??? :gathering:

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
That is an absolutely brilliant piece that is equally and painfully accurate. O'Brien is single-handedly disassembling and destroying the team, before our very eyes. I understand that Cal is extremely shy and avoids the limelight .... so he found O'Brien, desperate for a crown and scepter, to run the team .... right into the ground ! At some point, this too shall pass. We, as ardent fans, have the unique opportunity to witness, first hand, a new version of the "Sinking of the Titanic" !!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That is an absolutely brilliant piece that is equally and painfully accurate. O'Brien is single-handedly disassembling and destroying the team, before our very eyes. I understand that Cal is extremely shy and avoids the limelight .... so he found O'Brien, desperate for a crown and scepter, to run the team .... right into the ground ! At some point, this too shall pass. We, as ardent fans, have the unique opportunity to witness, first hand, a new version of the "Sinking of the Titanic" !!
I prefer to see how they play next yr before I come to this conclusion.

Uncle Rico

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didnt exist"

RGV82

Random guy
I agree with this. There are really no players on our roster right now that are a priority to keep here long term. We are stacked with mediocre players that are expendable, or washed up guys who will no longer be relevant in 3 years.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I agree with this. There are really no players on our roster right now that are a priority to keep here long term. We are stacked with mediocre players that are expendable, or washed up guys who will no longer be relevant in 3 years.
It appears O’Brien is trying to build the team around Tunsil.

I would have been more than satisfied if the plan was to build the team from the lines back. But the cost, IMHO, has been too high. It could have been executed in a much better way. Not to mention in addition to losing who I believe is the best receiver in the game the defense is being sacrificed. Fans aren’t stupid. Even casual fans of other teams are scratching their heads over the recent moves. The more hard core fans of the NFL are probably just as confused as many of us are.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
It appears O’Brien is trying to build the team around Tunsil.

I would have been more than satisfied if the plan was to build the team from the lines back. But the cost, IMHO, has been too high. It could have been executed in a much better way. Not to mention in addition to losing who I believe is the best receiver in the game the defense is being sacrificed. Fans aren’t stupid. Even casual fans of other teams are scratching their heads over the recent moves. The more hard core fans of the NFL are probably just as confused as many of us are.
Lol fans ARE stupid. The same fans that were dogging the trade for Chris Paul, citing ”he was done” were the same ones talking about “run it back” with him when the team came within a half of going to the NBA finals.......who were the same dickheads fans wanting Morey to go out and get Carmelo Anthony...Those same fans turned out to be the same fans who hated everything about Westbrook and his “selfish” game when he played for OKC now think his game is the best b/c he’s playing for the Rockets. His play is no longer selfish and they love the “passion” he plays with.......:rolleyes:

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Lol fans ARE stupid. The same fans that were dogging the trade for Chris Paul, citing ”he was done” were the same ones talking about “run it back” with him when the team came within a half of going to the NBA finals.......who were the same dickheads fans wanting Morey to go out and get Carmelo Anthony...Those same fans turned out to be the same fans who hated everything about Westbrook and his “selfish” game when he played for OKC now think his game is the best b/c he’s playing for the Rockets. His play is no longer selfish and they love the “passion” he plays with.......:rolleyes:
I agree. I run into so many fans that fall into that description. My favorite is " I have been a Houston Texans fan since the first game". So was I. And I don't remember there being very many of us. Now EVERY fan has been a fan from game 1.

Texansballer74

The Marine
All because they wasn’t on this message board since day 1. Doesn’t mean they weren’t a fan since day 1. As soon as we got us a new team, I became a fan right then and there. When the Oilers bounced on us, I didn’t follow any other team. Just watched the games and that’s it. No I didn’t see a lot of Texans flags, apparel being worn or decal stickers like I see today. But who am I to question any fan on when they became a Texans fan

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
All because they wasn’t on this message board since day 1. Doesn’t mean they weren’t a fan since day 1. As soon as we got us a new team, I became a fan right then and there. When the Oilers bounced on us, I didn’t follow any other team. Just watched the games and that’s it. No I didn’t see a lot of Texans flags, apparel being worn or decal stickers like I see today. But who am I to question any fan on when they became a Texans fan
?

Where did anybody say it was a requirement to be on a MB to be a fan from day 1?

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I myself wasn't a member of this board since day 1, but that wasn't what I was getting at. I was more alluding to fans who jumped on the bandwagon post 1st post season game, or post drafting Watson claiming to have been fans since game 1 in an attempt sound like more of a fan than the next guy.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
My perspective is different in that the Oilers didn’t get a chance to really cultivate me as a fan as I was either not born or relatively young in my fandom when the Oilers were at their best. I definitely remember 35-3, but that’s actually probably 1 of the very few memories I have of them. By the time I did start to lock in on them and home town team sports in general they were already on their way outta here. So the time between the Oilers and Texans I kinda started watching everybody and I still do that today even though as soon as it was announced that the Texans were gonna be “our” team they became my #1 team in the NFL.

I did the very 1st running of the bulls marathon they had for the team and there’s some Houston news footage some where from that after race party of me being interviewed about who I wanted to see us pick with our very 1st pick in the 2001 NFL draft...David Carr.

So yeah, I’ve been a Day 1 fan.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I had already moved to Houston when the Texans were announced but hadn't been here long enough to really care plus I was already a Ravens fan and I tend to only like one team per sport. I didn't have any history with the Oilers and since I hadn't been here long enough to know if Houston was going to be home or just the next city I had been sent to I wasn't paying attention. Then the Texans beat the Cowboys in their very first game and for the first time in as long as I could remember all the Dallas fans had to actually shut and eat crow because they got beat by an expansion team playing their first game, it didn't last more than a day but oh what a sweet day that was. I became a fan for life after that so I guess you can say I've been a day 2 fan.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I had already moved to Houston when the Texans were announced but hadn't been here long enough to really care plus I was already a Ravens fan and I tend to only like one team per sport. I didn't have any history with the Oilers and since I hadn't been here long enough to know if Houston was going to be home or just the next city I had been sent to I wasn't paying attention. Then the Texans beat the Cowboys in their very first game and for the first time in as long as I could remember all the Dallas fans had to actually shut and eat crow because they got beat by an expansion team playing their first game, it didn't last more than a day but oh what a sweet day that was. I became a fan for life after that so I guess you can say I've been a day 2 fan.
Game #1 vs the boys is still my favorite. So much excitement for the team, such high hopes for the direction we where headed.

...sigh...if I knew then what I know now.