Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Mario Hurt - Out for Season

Brooks Reed looked lost out there. When GlassHalfFull saw me at halftime in the concourse area, she told me Mario was out.

I began watching to see how Reed would turn out, playing Mario's place out there. To me, he looked lost out there.

Mario in, things were too hot for Campbell to handle. Mario out, he had time to make throws and the defense was on their heels a lot.

HOWEVER......

Do you tie up your financial resources in Mario Williams after this season? How do the dollars for Mario's new contract affect what we can do elsewhere? The Texans are going to have to make some tough decisions.

I think the team is about to hit that magical wall they always hit, where they start thinking about the old "Geez, we suck. Wonder if I'll be here next year?" scenarios.

We got beat by The Janitor's leg and a fake punt. And Schaub's patented "Doh!" moments. It was a Bermuda Triangle of Doh!

Brooks Redd is not and will never be Mario, And i think half the blame for jacoby getting thrown at 11 times and catching 1 is on him. He is not a good route runner at all, he dont have the smarts to run the other way to get open for his QB whos trying to make a play. instead he stops, stands there and lets the CB run in and take the ball

Thanks

Attack the post not the poster.

Is MW's injury history not true?

Attack the poster? You've got off easy. The stupidity of this thread makes you a prime candidate to be tarred and feathered.

Find me an NFL lineman who has not a string of injuries over the course of their career. It's a contact sport. It's not like his injuries came from being out of shape.

There should seriously be a 24 hour waiting period to start new threads after a loss. A decade of failure has turned a lot of you into imbeciles.

*Titans fan chiming in don't hate because I'm not here to troll I swear!*

As a fan of a team who saw Kenny Britt end his season just be happy that even if Mario is done for the season at least you know he'll be coming back 100% when he does. With Kenny's injury you never know, he might not ever be the same player again.

MW injuries

1.Feet - 4.5 sacks
2.Groin - 8.5 sacks
3.Shoulder - 9 sacks
4.Pectoral - 5 sacks

Are you starting to se a trend here?

Armchair or not the facts dont support your argument. Sorry.... wish I and many others were wrong. Believe me I get no pleasure in pointing this out. But felt it was relevent.

I listed his sack numbers in bold during the times he was hurt, not sure on the groin, it was either 8.5 or 12 on that year. 3 of the 4 years he was hurt, he still lead the team in sacks and if memory served me played through most of the year with the groin and shoulder injury... Hell the dude has only missed 3 games due to injury and that was the last 3 of last year when the year was already decided a failure....

and these are just sacks in which only fools and people who do not understand the game of football only go by sacks. Mario Williams does so much more that does not get put in the stat sheet that we as fans, or those not paying attention, do not see and it's those things that makes is value worth the 14 mil.

You can take your VY or Bush colored glasses off dude and need to let it go, it was 5 years ago, only fans of this team think he is a waste, others that KNOW the NFL have stated he is worth every penny...Like I said, I;ll choose the opinion of those who ACTUALLY played in the league over armchair GMs 7 days a week, twice on Sunday....

*Titans fan chiming in don't hate because I'm not here to troll I swear!*

As a fan of a team who saw Kenny Britt end his season just be happy that even if Mario is done for the season at least you know he'll be coming back 100% when he does. With Kenny's injury you never know, he might not ever be the same player again.

Absolutely right, Britt may never get that speed he once had back with a torn ACL, rarely does someone come back from that the same as before.

A pec tear will heal and Mario will continue to reek havoc in the backfield...

Sorry about yall's loss dude, we are kinda feeling it here in Houston missing AJ for the next few weeks.

i have to disagree i say resign Mario to a long term deal draft a big physical WR in the 1st/2nd. Mario is the heart and soul of our D line what did brooks do today when he took marios spot ? Nothing that impacted the game, hell mario had a sack right before his injury

The decision isn't: Brooks Reed or Mario Williams. Re-signing Mario means giving him a huge signing bonus and a deal worth around $12-$15 per year. The real question is whether that money can be better spent. I think it can. That being said, of course the Texans are worse without Mario this year. After all, he is almost 15% of our salary cap and he can't produce anything on I.R. Hopefully, it's a grade one tear and we can get him back in a few weeks.

The decision isn't: Brooks Reed or Mario Williams. Re-signing Mario means giving him a huge signing bonus and a deal worth around $12-$15 per year. The real question is whether that money can be better spent. I think it can. That being said, of course the Texans are worse without Mario this year. After all, he is almost 15% of our salary cap and he can't produce anything on I.R. Hopefully, it's a grade one tear and we can get him back in a few weeks.

How much do you think the salary cap is this year, and how much do you think Mario's contract is this year?

Brooks Reed looked lost out there. When GlassHalfFull saw me at halftime in the concourse area, she told me Mario was out.

I began watching to see how Reed would turn out, playing Mario's place out there. To me, he looked lost out there.

Mario in, things were too hot for Campbell to handle. Mario out, he had time to make throws and the defense was on their heels a lot.

HOWEVER......

Do you tie up your financial resources in Mario Williams after this season? How do the dollars for Mario's new contract affect what we can do elsewhere? The Texans are going to have to make some tough decisions.

I think the team is about to hit that magical wall they always hit, where they start thinking about the old "Geez, we suck. Wonder if I'll be here next year?" scenarios.

We got beat by The Janitor's leg and a fake punt. And Schaub's patented "Doh!" moments. It was a Bermuda Triangle of Doh!

Reed did look lost out there but so did Mario when he first started. Mario started to look more comfortable the more reps he got and I think Reed will do the same now that he maybe running exclusively with the 1st team..

It may take Reed a game or 2 plus the Bye to get fully acclimated with the 1st team, hopefully sooner but this is my assumption...

Again though dont be biased. AJ is on the top of that cant perform 16 games list. When Mario is in the game he is a force to be reckoned with. Up till this point he has only missed 3 career games and that was ALL at the end of last season. other than that he has played all 16 games every season.

i do see what ur saying BUT using the excuse about him always missing games because of injuries is not valid. May he be injured, sure but he usually plays through them.

He's played all 16 games, but very few were 100% healthy. The man is a warrior. I was actually saying we're finally in a position that he can sit out for minor injuries & get more 100% games from him.

Yesterday's game didn't change any of that. Antonio still had a good game & Brooks is coming along.

I noticed Antonio sitting out quite a bit, is he nicked up as well? The defense did as well as expected, maybe even better. But when your offense can't stay on the field, it makes it difficult to consistently pressure the QB. Our offensive 3 & outs killed our defense.

I don't think so. The Raiders did nothing for the entire first half.. Mario went out in the 1st Qtr. There were still good plays defensively in the second half... Antonio was still doing his thing & Cushing stepped it up.

Reed did look lost out there but so did Mario when he first started. Mario started to look more comfortable the more reps he got and I think Reed will do the same now that he maybe running exclusively with the 1st team..

It may take Reed a game or 2 plus the Bye to get fully acclimated with the 1st team, hopefully sooner but this is my assumption...

True.... even CMIII didn't look like CMIII as a rookie.

Yes, true. Vince would have scored on that last play. :kitten:

So would DAVID CARR!! remember that Jags game when he dove over the pile for a TD? Sorry, I know you guys will spit needles just at the mention of the name, BUT, he did at least make a friggin effort to score!

back to topic!:shades: Mario and Demeco are the heart and soul of our D, and sometimes AS. Our D was AWFUL last year without Demeco, BUT, we didn't have Wade to pull them back together. IF anyone can patch up this D, with Mario out, Wade Phillips is the man to do it. We just gotta pray Demeco and AS stay healthy. JJ Watt is coming along nicely, and I believe Reed will do the same! BOTH good rooks with good attitudes! They have their chance to prove their worth, lets just hope they get the job done!!:d:

AdamSchefter
Texans LB Mario Williams has a torn pectoral muscle that will sideline him indefinitely if not for the remainder of the season.

Now who do we scramble and get off the FA list?

:toropalm:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7083480/mario-williams-houston-texans-indefinitely-source-says

Houston Texans linebacker Mario Williams has a torn pectoral muscle that will sideline him indefinitely, if not for the remainder of the season, a person familiar with the injury told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Williams is undergoing more tests Monday to see if there's any hope the Texans could get him back later this season.

Williams appeared to be hurt while sacking Jason Campbell with about five minutes left in the first quarter of Houston's 25-20 loss to Oakland on Sunday.

He was taken to the locker room and did not return. Coach Gary Kubiak offered no specifics to Williams' condition after the game.

"I'm not a doctor, so I don't know," Kubiak said. "I hate to answer that right now in the state of mind I'm in. So let's see what happens. I'll get back with you when I find out."

Williams, the top overall pick in the 2006 draft, moved from defensive end to linebacker this season in Houston's new 3-4 defense. He has five sacks and a forced fumble this season.

The 6-foot-6, 285-pound Williams has led the Texans in sacks in each of his five seasons. He was slowed by a sports hernia late last year and underwent offseason surgery.

Houston is already playing with star receiver Andre Johnson, who sat out Sunday's game with a right hamstring injury.

The Texans (3-2) play at Baltimore (3-1) in Week 6.

Last edited:
ImageShacksharephotospicturesfreeimagehostingfreevideohostingimagehostingvideohostingphotoimagehostingsitevideohostingsite-2.gif

This really sucks if true, and I have a bad feeling it probably is. Time for Brooks Reed to step his game up.

How much do you think the salary cap is this year, and how much do you think Mario's contract is this year?

I've seen Mario's number between $14 and $16 million. The salary cap is less than $120 million this year if you remove the ability to borrow $3 million from next year's cap.

1. Brooks Reed better pay off right now. Time to earn his paycheck.
2. Kubiak's built in "injuries killed our chances" excuse is coming on strong.

Maybe Reed has what it takes to step up and whip some ass.

Plus the lockout so surely he'll probably get a contract extension if anything.

Normally I'm not a fan of that excuse, but when your #1 offensive and #1 defensive player are both out for extended periods of time (not to mention the #2 offensive player) it actually does become more valid.

We've been without our top talent all year. The "everythings shaping up for the Texans" season is becoming completely derailed by injuries

Normally I'm not a fan of that excuse, but when your #1 offensive and #1 defensive player are both out for extended periods of time (not to mention the #2 offensive player) it actually does become more valid.

We've been without our top talent all year. The "everythings shaping up for the Texans" season is becoming completely derailed by injuries

We are always being derailed by something. No excuses this year, I don't care who is done for the season. We don't win - Kubiak needs to go. There are 53 other players on the team that need to step up an contribute.

Look at all the injuries the Packers had last year and where did they end up??

Plenty of teams have done well with top players on IR or hurt through a portion of the season. This is where coaches are supposed to make their money.

We are always being derailed by something. No excuses this year, I don't care who is done for the season. We don't win - Kubiak needs to go. There are 53 other players on the team that need to step up an contribute.

Who did the Packers lose that would be the equivalent of an Arian Foster, Mario Williams, or Andre Johnson?

Our team seems to be built on superstars with depth surrounding them. We have 2-3 amazing players on both sides of the ball with a bunch of lunch pail guys filling in the other spots.

When our big players go down, it destroys the gameplan. Its like whats happening to the Colts, but on a much, much smaller level

Precisely.

I was just going to say the exact same thing. These players/coaches need to stop with the excuses already, start playing an entire game and finishing said game with or without top players.

Why bother to have more than 22 players if the others can't play.

I smell an extension and big raise for Kubiak. Never mind that Green Bay won the Super Bowl with an injured team. Kubiak will ride this injury wave into next season.

So. Lets say we get to the Super Bowl, or just the AFC Championship game.

If the Texans get to the AFC Championship game, does that change your opinion of Gary Kubiak? Do you sign him to a long term extension? or do you make him do it again?

If the Texans get to the AFC Championship game, does that change your opinion of Gary Kubiak? Do you sign him to a long term extension? or do you make him do it again?

If Kubiak can do that, then he deserves an extension. The thing is, he won't.

Originally Posted by John McClain's twitter
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Mario williams is out for season with torn pectoral muscle and will have surgery this week.

This is what I was trying to get across to those that were pointing out that following the injury Mario was not showing any significant signs of distress....and therefore it is probably a minor problem. With even the worst of pectoral injuries, as long as the arms are maintained down and to the patient's side, they will typically have only minimal to moderate pain with no outward signs of debilitation. It is only when they try to lift their arms, especially in an upward and forward motion (moreso against resistance), that they will be made acutely aware of their injury.

MODS, please merge this thread with the MARIO INJURY thread.

What's your point?

And, for the record, no, I wouldn't give Kubiak an extension. I would let him play out his current contract and then re-evaluate.

adam shefter reported it...he just doesn't put that stuff out there, he's pretty reliable........:toropalm:

It would,

But he will not get us to the AFC Championship game. We will probably not even make the playoffs, much less win our division.

We have 1 WR out - granted it is AJ - but where are the other receivers and TEs at the end of the game. Who stepped up their game to make up for the loss of AJ????

Vickers - he needs to be thrown out with the bath water along with JJ - both are completely useless.

The Defense lost Mario in the first qtr. They at least kept us close and did a good job on McFadden.

This is such a total bummer, Mario has been so much fun to watch this season and I would have loved to see the damage he could do in 16 games. We are going to miss him when we need that big sack but I think Brooks Reed is going to come in and wreck a few gameplans along the way and we still have a lot of talent on defense.

Sports 790 is reporting that Mario is undergoing surgery today.
It's sad to think that he's gone for the season. Mario was really getting into the role as a 3-4 and I was thinking he'd probably have his best season yet this year. I'm hoping that we can resign him, but I have a feeling we don't have the cap space.

This injury hurts, no doubt. However, he is less essential to the success of the team than about 10 other players, IMO. I don't think his absence will effect the pass rush very much. However, it is going to hurt our rush defense. If A.Smith and Watt stay healthy and Mitchell can continue to improve, the hits on the QB will keep coming. Reed/Braman don't have to get sacks, they just have to hit that edge and force the QB forward into the pocket. They can do that. Also, Wade will be able to disguise the rush more with a true tweener on the weak side.

Key for the season: OTs stay healthy and AJ comes back very, very soon!

I think the Casey injury is just as big of an issue for the team. Hopefully, he's not gone for the season (no, that doesn't mean I think Casey is better than Mario).

This injury hurts, no doubt. However, he is less essential to the success of the team than about 10 other players, IMO. I don't think his absence will effect the pass rush very much. However, it is going to hurt our rush defense. If A.Smith and Watt stay healthy and Mitchell can continue to improve, the hits on the QB will keep coming. Reed/Braman don't have to get sacks, they just have to hit that edge and force the QB forward into the pocket. They can do that. Also, Wade will be able to disguise the rush more with a true tweener on the weak side.

I think the Casey injury is just as big of an issue for the team. Hopefully, he's not gone for the season (no, that doesn't mean I think Casey is better than Mario).

Would love to hear the 10 names you are thinking of.

I guess you didn't watch the second half yesterday? You know, the one where Oakland's offense was significantly better then when Mario was playing?

Would love to hear the 10 names you are thinking of.

Same here, considering Mario is probably the best defensive player we have. We don't have Mario Williams and we don't have Andre Johnson. That's our best offensive player and our best defensive player.

Then it goes Foster, Joseph, Schaub, Cushing, and DeMeco...probably. Not to mention Tate and Ward, who are critical to Foster's success.

Who did the Packers lose that would be the equivalent of an Arian Foster, Mario Williams, or Andre Johnson?

Our team seems to be built on superstars with depth surrounding them. We have 2-3 amazing players on both sides of the ball with a bunch of lunch pail guys filling in the other spots.

When our big players go down, it destroys the game plan. Its like whats happening to the Colts, but on a much, much smaller level

Every team deals with injuries.....this is NOT a excuse.

As far as the packers go... Ryan Grant, Jermichael Finley, and Nick Barnet..and a LOT more players

And why are you listing Arian Foster and Andre Johnson as "players lost"? They are players who missed/will miss games, but they will both be back. Players miss game ALL THE TIME, it's a norm in this league.

Sorry the injury excuse doesn't remotely fly here. The Titans actually LOST their #1 wideout and that is the team we'll have to compete with in order to win this division. NO EXCUSES, Kubiak either takes this team to the playoffs or he gets canned.

as far as Mario goes, it's time to accept the fact that he's injury prone. There's ALWAYS something wrong with him and he always gets banged up every year...the only difference here is he finally got a injury that sidelined him. Oh well, this is why we drafted Brooks Reed, which now looks like a great decision. Imagine how fast we'd be scrambling right now if we didn't make that pick? let's see what he can do and honestly he didn't play that bad when he came into the game. This could actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise for us. Look at it this way, Brooks Reed will now get MUCH valuable on the field experience and Mario Williams just became much MUCH more affordable to re-sign in the offseason.

This sucks big time. I liked the effort Braman showed in TC and so far on special teams. Him and Reed need to step up now.....

Back