Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Mario Hurt - Out for Season

Every team in the NFL would love to not have to blitz to get pressure. The less you blitz, the more you can leave in coverage. We were one of the teams that had good pressure packages without the blitz. Now, not so much.

I don't know if we can say that yet. Oakland has given up 5 sacks so far this year.... 3 of them were to them boys on Kirby. We don't know how we would have done without blitzing, with Mario in the game.

Next week, we play another team in the top ten as far as not giving up sacks..... the Ravens have given up 8 sacks in four games. I'm sure we are going to have to blitz & were going to have to with Mario.

Tennessee is even better, giving up 7 sacks in 5 games.

Normally I'm not a fan of that excuse, but when your #1 offensive and #1 defensive player are both out for extended periods of time (not to mention the #2 offensive player) it actually does become more valid.

We've been without our top talent all year. The "everythings shaping up for the Texans" season is becoming completely derailed by injuries

Kubiak - SIX SEASONS - BARELY SNIFFING .500

Jim Schwarz - Only TWO SEASONS - Going to 5-0, and beating
the **** out of a top division rival, winning 3 on the road.

Kubiak does NOTHING to merit EXCUSES.

mario is a beast and this is a massive loss for us!

Indeed. On the other hand Wade Phillips is a defensive genius (according to the Houston Texans PR department & John McClain....but I repeat myself) and so he should have no trouble continuing to put an effective defense on the field using the pile of spare parts he has accumulated since arriving.

Right?

Indeed. On the other hand Wade Phillips is a defensive genius (according to the Houston Texans PR department & John McClain....but I repeat myself) and so he should have no trouble continuing to put an effective defense on the field using the pile of spare parts he has accumulated since arriving.

Right?
Wade deserves the benefit of the doubt. Without an offseason, he has turned this defense around.

Yes he did, no he did not.
Yes he is. no he is not.
Trade him, are you crazy?

I love talking about Mario!

It matters whether you are sending four guys or seven to get pressure.

Cushing and Nolan are on the Dline now?

Just because the god of all linebackers Mario Williams is we will now have to send at least 7 evrytime just just to hope to get pressure on opposing QB's.

And no Cushing and nolan are not d-linemen. I know he said d-line but assumed he meant defense since he said 12 sacks which the actual d-line is no where close to having.

I don't think his absence will effect the pass rush very much. However, it is going to hurt our rush defense. If A.Smith and Watt stay healthy and Mitchell can continue to improve, the hits on the QB will keep coming. Reed/Braman don't have to get sacks, they just have to hit that edge and force the QB forward into the pocket. They can do that. Also, Wade will be able to disguise the rush more with a true tweener on the weak side.

Key for the season: OTs stay healthy and AJ comes back very, very soon!

I think the Casey injury is just as big of an issue for the team. Hopefully, he's not gone for the season (no, that doesn't mean I think Casey is better than Mario).

WOW, just wow... I have seen some serious hating in my time, but you sir take the proverbial Hater Cake. Are you freaking kidding me that you honestly think the pass rush will not be effected by Mario's absence? Are you that totally blind and oblivious to how important Mario Williams is to this defense? Oh that's right, you are a stat monger just like allot of the "Arm Chair GMs" Let me explain a little sumptin, sumptin to you...

Now that Mario is out, guess who is going to be the MOST effected person on that line, and if you say Conner Barwin you should be banned from the message boards, that would be Antonio Smith. Why you ask, oh it is very simple, HE will be the one offensive coordinators key on to stop. Smith will be the one double and triple teamed in the trenches. He will become a ghost because Mario is not on the outside reeking havoc, allowing Smith to receive single coverage on the guards. Do you think OCs are game planning for Barwin, or Reed, or even Cody or Mitchell? No they will start to focus on Smith. Smith's job just got a hell of allot harder now that Mario is gone.

See weather you or any other stat monger wants to believe it or not, Mario Williams is a dominate force on the defense. He does allot more on the field than allot of people give him credit for, things that do not show up in the papers, like hitting a QBs arm to cause a INT or flushing out a QB so others can clean up. See I don't see those stats in your or anybody elses blogs. All I see is blinding hate for a kid you has done nothing but improved ever since he was taken in 06. They moved him to another position this year, and he was well on his way to double digit sacks and was absolutely disruptive in the backfield.

Since coming into the league in 06, not counting this year, Mario Williams has had more sacks than Dwight Freeney, same as Julius Peppers, and half a sack off from Mathis. Now of course Freeney and Mathis have greatly benefited from having Manning as the QB and playing from ahead, but the stats still remain, being you are a stat monger...

so to think that anybody else on that defense or on the team would have a more significant impact because of their absence than Mario, not named Matt Schaub or Andre Johnson, is just simply asinine....

Man it's hard not to be envious of the lions right now.:toropalm:

No doubt this is a major loss. He was our best pass rusher, good against the run, and moving him around gave opposing QB's one more thing to think about before every snap.

On the other hand, our defense is much better this season than it ever has been in the Kubiak era, and that's thanks to Wade. Seeing as we still have Wade on our sideline, we're still going to pressure the quarterback and play solid defense, with or without Mario. Major suck, yes, panic time, no.

Time to see if Brooks Reed can turn potential into results after being eased in over the past 4 weeks.

and having top 3 picks for what 3 out of the last 5 years has nothing to do with that?

Not excusing Kubiak but comparing him to Schwarz is not the same. The Lions had to absolutely suck for 5-6 years to get where they are now and get those great picks. Texans have just been mediocre....

Now if you want to compare Kubiak to Peyton and Mike McCarthy, both came in when Kubiak did and BOTH have SB rings, then I will totally agree....

I know I originally said that Mario will probably come back the same from this injury, but do any of you think he might not? Dumerville hasn't looked the same since he tore his, he only has 4 tackles this year, after having like 17(?) sacks the year before the injury? Despite being a Titans fan I'm actually a Williams fan as well, I've liked him since you guys drafted him so I just wanted to know what you guys think.

WOW, just wow... I have seen some serious hating in my time, but you sir take the proverbial Hater Cake. Are you freaking kidding me that you honestly think the pass rush will not be effected by Mario's absence? Are you that totally blind and oblivious to how important Mario Williams is to this defense? Oh that's right, you are a stat monger just like allot of the "Arm Chair GMs" Let me explain a little sumptin, sumptin to you...

Now that Mario is out, guess who is going to be the MOST effected person on that line, and if you say Conner Barwin you should be banned from the message boards, that would be Antonio Smith. Why you ask, oh it is very simple, HE will be the one offensive coordinators key on to stop. Smith will be the one double and triple teamed in the trenches. He will become a ghost because Mario is not on the outside reeking havoc, allowing Smith to receive single coverage on the guards. Do you think OCs are game planning for Barwin, or Reed, or even Cody or Mitchell? No they will start to focus on Smith. Smith's job just got a hell of allot harder now that Mario is gone.

See weather you or any other stat monger wants to believe it or not, Mario Williams is a dominate force on the defense. He does allot more on the field than allot of people give him credit for, things that do not show up in the papers, like hitting a QBs arm to cause a INT or flushing out a QB so others can clean up. See I don't see those stats in your or anybody elses blogs. All I see is blinding hate for a kid you has done nothing but improved ever since he was taken in 06. They moved him to another position this year, and he was well on his way to double digit sacks and was absolutely disruptive in the backfield.

Since coming into the league in 06, not counting this year, Mario Williams has had more sacks than Dwight Freeney, same as Julius Peppers, and half a sack off from Mathis. Now of course Freeney and Mathis have greatly benefited from having Manning as the QB and playing from ahead, but the stats still remain, being you are a stat monger...

so to think that anybody else on that defense or on the team would have a more significant impact because of their absence than Mario, not named Matt Schaub or Andre Johnson, is just simply asinine....

Wow just wow is right. You are in a dreamworld. You talk about Mario like he was Lawrence freaking Taylor and Reggie White all rolled up into one super player. I mean if anyone says anything critical of Mario in the least bit you guys go off like someone just insulted your mother.

I'm just wondering what you all are going to be saying If there is no drop off or the D actually improves without Mario. You'll probably give Mario the credit for being on the sidelines and keeping the team pumped up.

Not excusing Kubiak but comparing him to Schwarz is not the same. The Lions had to absolutely suck for 5-6 years to get where they are now and get those great picks. Texans have just been mediocre....
Nope, it really is an excuse. In fact, ladies & gentlemen, a new excuse. The Texans haven't sucked hard enough. Guess those meaningless late season win streaks worked against the Texans (but worked for Kubiak).

I like this one better than the hurricane Ike excuse. More football related. Plus, I can bash Kubiak for winning, as well as losing.

Nope, it really is an excuse. In fact, ladies & gentlemen, a new excuse. The Texans haven't sucked hard enough. Guess those meaningless late season win streaks worked against the Texans (but worked for Kubiak).

I like this one better than the hurricane Ike excuse. More football related. Plus, I can bash Kubiak for winning, as well as losing.

Man, don't get me going on Excuse Number 3,931: Hurricane Ike.

We drove that excuse INTO THE GROUND for about two years.

Man, this one might be the best one we've heard yet Lucky. Lol! We didn't suck bad enough to get all of those top ten picks and the Lions actually gained an advantage. Gotta love the comedy of this board sometimes.

Man, this one might be the best one we've heard yet Lucky. Lol! We didn't suck bad enough to get all of those top ten picks and the Lions actually gained an advantage. Gotta love the comedy of this board sometimes.

Tex,

The irony is, as someone who follows the Lions (since I'm from there), they did ZERO with all those great picks. That's why Matt Millen was considered such a massive failure. They had top 10 picks for about a decade, and did nothing with them. Nada. Zilch.

The current Lions are the Houston Oilers legacy continued. Jim Schwartz was taught that big, smash mouth defense is what wins, and that's what he did with free agency and draft picks.

Tex,

The irony is, as someone who follows the Lions (since I'm from there), they did ZERO with all those great picks. That's why Matt Millen was considered such a massive failure. They had top 10 picks for about a decade, and did nothing with them. Nada. Zilch.

The current Lions are the Houston Oilers legacy continued. Jim Schwartz was taught that big, smash mouth defense is what wins, and that's what he did with free agency and draft picks.

When he said three of the last five, I thought he was talking about Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford, & Ndamakonadffa Suh....

just guessing.

and having top 3 picks for what 3 out of the last 5 years has nothing to do with that?

Now if you want to compare Kubiak to Peyton and Mike McCarthy, both came in when Kubiak did and BOTH have SB rings, then I will totally agree....

They made the right selections with those picks.
Johnson, Stafford, Suh in CONSECUTIVE DRAFTS.

Having a top pick ain't enough. It's what
you DO with it. No more excuses for Kubiak, please.

Didn't the Texans pass over Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch,
Darrelle Revis, Michael Griffin, Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Meriweather,
and Sidney Rice to take Amobi Okoye with the TENTH OVERALL
PICK in 2007? 'Nuff said.

The Texans have playoff level talent RIGHT NOW, and have for MORE THAN
3 SEASONS. It takes a coach to make those ingredients come together to
form a WINNER.

Last edited:

form a WINNER.

A-freakin'-men! There is ZERO room for excuses. Hell, this man right here has been saying this for years, and he's been so right, but some Texans fans couldn't recognize their own hand 6 inches from their face. If we're gonna whine that the Texans were only mediocre enough to secure a top 10 pick, lets remember what they did with it. Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith were only good enough to bring this franchise just a slight tick up from incompetent to mediocre. Some Sundays Gary likes to remind us all had bad things used to be by letting the team fall apart. Oh wait, most Sundays.

How many of these "success" qualities do you see in Kubiak the coach?

images

This sucks big donkey balls but the mario nutt huggers on here are ridiculous. He was playing the run really well but despite his sack number he wasn't killing it in the pass rush department. And he was not our best or most important defensive player. Does it suck he's hurt? He'll yes! But the hype over this is as overblown as his pass rush skills.

Wonder if we are considering signing what's his name that had a tryout recently. You know the guy the jets cut? Blanking on his name for some reason.

I'm telling you man, this hurts a bit more than you think. I will say at least you didn't post a list of the 45 guys more important. We just agree to disagree. Most of my posts are aimed at Dale, because he is freaking delusional when it comes to this topic.

Could u image Mario in a packers Uni or even a steeler !!!!!!!!!! that would be scary

I almost wish it would happen. I bet people would feel warm and fuzzy if Mario was in Green Bay and getting DMVP trophys. We have so many people who refuse to believe that he is a good player.

Wow just wow is right. You are in a dreamworld. You talk about Mario like he was Lawrence freaking Taylor and Reggie White all rolled up into one super player. I mean if anyone says anything critical of Mario in the least bit you guys go off like someone just insulted your mother.

I'm just wondering what you all are going to be saying If there is no drop off or the D actually improves without Mario. You'll probably give Mario the credit for being on the sidelines and keeping the team pumped up.

If there is no drop off, then I will be the first to say that they should tag him and then traade him. I don't think I will be saying that though. This isn't losing a special teamer or a role player. This is losing one of the teams focal points of the defense. He is a complete package DE/OLB. One of the better pass rushers who is lock down on the run. Reed is...not ready.

form a WINNER.

Gotta agree with that. It's an "OUCH!!!"er and I was just screaming for Revis at the time.

:rolleyes:

15 teams passed on Jerry Rice.

Every team passed on John Randle, Warren Moon, Jeff Saturday, Nate Newton, Tony Romo, Priest Holmes, Antonio Gates, Cliff Harris, and "Night Train" Lane. :shades:

Every team passed on John Randle, Warren Moon, Jeff Saturday, Nate Newton, Tony Romo, Priest Holmes, Antonio Gates, Cliff Harris, and "Night Train" Lane. :shades:

I think every team passed on Joe Montana and Tom Brady - several times.

True, but I could tell with my eyes that Wilis was WAY better than Zerokoye. He also wasn't a ****ing Eagle Scout.

PICK in 2007?
'Nuff said.

form a WINNER.

I must shamefully agree to everything you said, especially about the bolded part...:toropalm:

Not a dreamworld, just facts. Never said he was any of those players but Mario does mean more than any of you haters want to give credit or have ever given credit. I don't care if you speak critical of any player on the Texans, as long as it not an agenda and most of the time it's an agenda because when he plays well, stat monger and bloggers are no where to be found, he does wrong and they are like maggots to a rotting corpse...

The D isn't going to improve and there will be a drop off for the simple fact you now have an unproven Rookie filling in for Mario. Who on that Dline, if you are an OC, are you worried about now? Smith maybe? ok double him all day now who you worried about? Watt? Watt is still a rookie, Barwin is still unproven and Cody is a joke. Watch how team now will run all day at Reed knowing he is a rookie still learning this system...

If don't think there will be a drop off, then you are in the dreamworld...

Could have, should have, what if's - don't mean a thing. Nothing can change the past.

The Texans needs to focus on the team they have.

As long as you get there it matters how? The Texans got there early and often. Campbell played a good game and hung in there knowing he would get clobbered. That's a distinct difference compared to Shoelace Schaub.

It matters because you lose something in coverage.

That's why teams strive for the ability to get to the passer with just sending 4.

Not a dreamworld, just facts. Never said he was any of those players but Mario does mean more than any of you haters want to give credit or have ever given credit. I don't care if you speak critical of any player on the Texans, as long as it not an agenda and most of the time it's an agenda because when he plays well, stat monger and bloggers are no where to be found, he does wrong and they are like maggots to a rotting corpse...

The D isn't going to improve and there will be a drop off for the simple fact you now have an unproven Rookie filling in for Mario. Who on that Dline, if you are an OC, are you worried about now? Smith maybe? ok double him all day now who you worried about? Watt? Watt is still a rookie, Barwin is still unproven and Cody is a joke. Watch how team now will run all day at Reed knowing he is a rookie still learning this system...

Facts yeh right. Funny also how you call people stat mongers yet you try and use stats to prove alot of your points and seldom have the facts right when you do. For instance, we run a 3/4 so when you say d-line the fact is we only have three of them.

Also I'm not a hater or a nutt hugger (like you), I'm a realist. I don't develop my opinions from ESPN highlights or nationl media hype. It takes more than one or two good plays a game for me to lable a player great.

You may be right about the defense dropping off but you act as if it's a fact that it's going to happen. You probably hope it will just so you can act like you knew all along when in fact you don't have anymore a clue than any poster here.

Heres a fact for you. We lost a really good player and it sucks but you need to quit acting like it's the colts loosing manning. Will there be areas that Mario's strengths will be missed in? Sure! There are still 10 other starters that are going to be doing the same thing they have been doing all year and we drafted a guy (Reed) in the second round just for that position.

So sorry the guy you have a mancrush on go hurt but It's not the end of the world so quit getting your panties in a wad everytime says something about Mario that isn't worshiping him.

I think obviously there will be a drop off and it will continue until Reed gets his legs under him. Some guys never make that transition like Jason Babin who had to go back to being a 4-3 pass rushing specialist to rediscover his game. Others just take to it. It looked to me like Mario was coming around and starting to make some noise as an OLB but now we won't know until next year if ever. Reed has to hit the ground running and catch up with the rest of the guys.

We need Reed to catch fire immediately. Everything else in this part of the country goes up in seconds these days at the first opportunity, why not Brooks Reed?

Reed is a liability vs the run right now. I think its gonna take some time, but we don't have that. All of a sudden we are playing with two rookie starters in our front 7

If we end up losing against the Ravens, I at least hope Reed has a good game. That would make it bearable.

Baltimore's offense can go off on you but I think that our defense isn't going to be in nearly as much trouble as our offense. You can get to Flacco and you can contain Ray Rice. If you can hold McFadden down like we did this week then there's no reason why Ray Rice should blow you up.

Unfortunately without Andre Johnson (again) and with nothing but Jacoby Jones to replace him with the Ravens will do what the Raiders did to us. Once Foster is under control Matt will be a big ol' slow target for Ray Lewis & Co.

So you won't be playing the injury card to defend Kubiak, if he fails to win in 2011?

If the Texans can't win the division this year, Kubiak needs to be fired and replaced by someone competent. I'll still like the guy, but I won't be able to defend his inability to get this team to the playoffs. The division is too ripe for the taking. Tennessee is the only competition (and that's being generous) and they've lost one of their best players as well from injury.

Reed is a liability vs the run right now. I think its gonna take some time, but we don't have that. All of a sudden we are playing with two rookie starters in our front 7

I agree. The run game is a huge issue with the loss of Mario. The best solution will be for the offense to play like they are capable of and continue to pressure opposing offenses to put up points. If they can do that, I think Wade will continue to get pressure on the QB.

So far Reed has looked like the kind of guy that once an OL gets his hands on him he's done. He doesn't look strong enough to me right now.

Hopefully he can come in and get comfortable and do some good things.

Am I a hater because MW played 5 good games this yr? about 8 the yr before? He was good for about 12-14 with the groin injury the yr before. ^ games his rookie yr with the planter fascitis (?) Just sayin MW cant stay healthy and shouldn't be signed to a long term contract.

And this has nothing to do with AJ. He's already signed his long term contract, so the comittment has already been made. If it's me I franchise MW trade him for picks. (1st/3rd) and use the $$$$ saved in FA on a WR2 and a CB2. But that's just me. I prefer a team that's solid all over the field and has depth. So that we dont have to watch the JJ/DA/Vickers/Allens of the world when a starter gets injured.

Yuppers! And we're heading to Rice and Leach's house this Sunday. Doh!

Baltimore's offense can go off on you but I think that our defense isn't going to be in nearly as much trouble as our offense. You can get to Flacco and you can contain Ray Rice. If you can hold McFadden down like we did this week then there's no reason why Ray Rice should blow you up.

Unfortunately without Andre Johnson (again) and with nothing but Jacoby Jones to replace him with the Ravens will do what the Raiders did to us. Once Foster is under control Matt will be a big ol' slow target for Ray Lewis & Co.

I think the OL knows they got schallacked(sp) and they come out with a purpose on Sunday. I am expecting a marcelles wallace after he was abused in pulp fiction

Back