Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Leigh Bodden to visit Houston-Re-Signs with Pats for 28.5 million /5 years 10 guar.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/07/bodden-will-meet-with-texans/

Bodden will meet with Texans
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 7, 2010 10:57 AM ET
The second-best cornerback on the free agent market is ready to take a visit.

After some back-and-forth on the issue, Leigh Bodden's first free agent visit will be with the Texans, according to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. It looked previously that Bodden's price tag may be too high for the Texans' taste.

Perhaps Bodden's financial demands are going down. After speaking with Bodden's agent Alvin Keels, the Texans decided to bring him in. The Patriots are pushing to bring Bodden back, while the Steelers and Seahawks have reportedly shown some interest.

ESPNBoston's Mike Reiss writes Bodden could command money in the $4-$5 million per season range.

ESPNBoston's Mike Reiss writes Bodden could command money in the $4-$5 million per season range.

If this is the case then I would love to sign him as long as he's not looking for a massive signing bonus like Dunta got.

If we poured almost $10 million into Dunta Robinson's shoes for only one season, surely we can afford Bodden at around $5 million-per-year.

That's getting him for two seasons for the same price as Dunta's 2009 season here.

IMO, this would take Cornerback off the draft chart for the first two rounds. Of course, I wouldn't put it past Smithiak to still grab a really tempting Cornerback, or Safety for that matter, if he happened to be sitting at our #20 spot overall (or in round 2).

But for the most part, it gives us breathing room if we lock up what has been touted as one of the better Cornerbacks on the market. We dumped Dunta, and we pop in a guy like Bodden.

This makes the defense almost set, unless we're looking to upgrade even more at DB or DL.

But why would we? Seems like we need to beef up the OL--I'd like a big nasty at Center, personally--or maybe shoot for the moon and take a RB? I can't see us taking a first round RB, though.

My bet for round 1 and 2 is this: OL, interior DL (in no particular order, btw). Unless someone slides to us that was expected to be gone very early.

I agree, if we can get him for around ~5mil a pop it's an easy way to remove CB from the list of NEEDS.

If we poured almost $10 million into Dunta Robinson's shoes for only one season, surely we can afford Bodden at around $5 million-per-year.

That's getting him for two seasons for the same price as Dunta's 2009 season here.

IMO, this would take Cornerback off the draft chart for the first two rounds. Of course, I wouldn't put it past Smithiak to still grab a really tempting Cornerback, or Safety for that matter, if he happened to be sitting at our #20 spot overall (or in round 2).

But for the most part, it gives us breathing room if we lock up what has been touted as one of the better Cornerbacks on the market. We dumped Dunta, and we pop in a guy like Bodden.

This makes the defense almost set, unless we're looking to upgrade even more at DB or DL.

But why would we? Seems like we need to beef up the OL--I'd like a big nasty at Center, personally--or maybe shoot for the moon and take a RB? I can't see us taking a first round RB, though.

My bet for round 1 and 2 is this: OL, interior DL (in no particular order, btw). Unless someone slides to us that was expected to be gone very early.

Personally I would like to see us sign Bodden. It will be expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as signing Dunta. Then we need to open up the bank account and sign O.J. Atogwe (FS, Rams). He was a RFA, but they gave him a pretty weak tender. If we can offer him a contract that they don't match then we can get him without giving up picks.

That means we can avoid taking a CB or FS in the 1st (although I do love Kyle Wilson and Earl Thomas) and then we can draft Ryan Mathews (RB, Fresno State) in the 1st and Mike Johnson (G, Alabama) in the 2nd.

This is exactly what I would do, but hey I'm not the GM.

Reactions: GP
Personally I would like to see us sign Bodden. It will be expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as signing Dunta. Then we need to open up the bank account and sign O.J. Atogwe (FS, Rams). He was a RFA, but they gave him a pretty weak tender. If we can offer him a contract that they don't match then we can get him without giving up picks.

That means we can avoid taking a CB or FS in the 1st (although I do love Kyle Wilson and Earl Thomas) and then we can draft Ryan Mathews (RB, Fresno State) in the 1st and Mike Johnson (G, Alabama) in the 2nd.

Not bad, WolverineFan. Rep your way!

Not bad at all.

Yup. I agree with going after Bodden and Atogwe. If we can also land OG Smith then we can enter the draft going after the BPA. We can literally draft the very best player on our draft board and not have to worry about reaching.

Also, it allows us to trade down and possibly out of the first round in order to stockpile picks. This is a deep draft so the more shells RS has to shoot, the better off we will be!

If we land Otogwe and Bodden, theres no way we wont be in the playoffs next year. Otogwe is the most underrated free safety in the game.

Whats the tender on him as far as draft picks go?

I am worried about the Steelers, who have been reportedly interested in him.

He could stay on the East Coast, close to the region where he has made contacts, and he could be playing for a team who knows how to stay truly competitive on an annual basis.

This needs to be one of those situations where he doesn't leave Houston without a contract.

According to Walterfootball, it is NO draft choices. Just first right of refusal. I guess this means that they have the right to match the offer.

"O.J. Atogwe (RFA), FS, Rams. Age: 29.
Tendered by Rams (right of first refusal)

O.J. Atogwe was one of the few bright spots for the Rams defense this year. When he was placed on IR, St. Louis' ability to defend the pass went into the crapper. "

If we land Otogwe and Bodden, theres no way we wont be in the playoffs next year. Otogwe is the most underrated free safety in the game.

Whats the tender on him as far as draft picks go?

He has no draft pick tender. The Rams tendered him with a right of first refusal, but no pick compensation. They franchised him last year and are trying to work out a long-term deal with him. I think they gave him a weak tender hoping that some team would come by and give him a deal and then they could match it and keep him without having to give him an Antrel Rolle-like deal.

However, if we roll along and give him a similar deal to that of Rolle then I doubt they will match it. They are a rebuilding team and I doubt they would invest $7 mil a year in a Safety.

I don't much like the idea of giving Atogwe a deal like that, but we need a FS and it would make our team much better if we could sign him and then use our draft picks on other areas of need.

Sounds like it is time to break out the Poison Pill.:turtle:

If Atogwe plays more than 4 games in St. Louis, he gets a $1 Billion dollar bonus.

Every year they spend on ONE moderate to high priced guy. Last year it was A. Smith, year before it was Reeves. Year before it was A. Green. Looks like this year it may be Bodden.

I am worried about the Steelers, who have been reportedly interested in him.

He could stay on the East Coast, close to the region where he has made contacts, and he could be playing for a team who knows how to stay truly competitive on an annual basis.

This needs to be one of those situations where he doesn't leave Houston without a contract.

Agree with this. We need to treat him like we did Antonio Smith: First visit, hard sell, sign before leaving, cancel all other visits.

I had Bodden on my fantasy team last year and I got good production from him.

I'm not sure how he fits in with our scheme. He's more of a zone guy, isn't he?

Atogwe would be a nice player to snag, but what about Jarrad Page from KC? He's 4 years younger (25) & has great size for a FS (6'0, 225lbs.). I believe he's been tagged with a 2nd round pick grade. If we're willing to take an unproven FS with our 1st, why not give up a 2nd for a proven player?

Agree with this. We need to treat him like we did Antonio Smith: First visit, hard sell, sign before leaving, cancel all other visits.

I wonder if it's essentially a done deal, and the visit is just to make it formal.

I think this is going to happen. Monday presser to announce it?

Signing him would really open up our draft board! If we go to the draft without a new CB or FS we pretty much have to go with DBs in the first 2 rounds... with Bodden we could go HB or DT in the first, if a player falls to us that we really like. If no one of them is still there, going with Thomas or Wilson would still vastly improve our defense.

So I´m all for giving him a contract before he leaves... I´d be fine with slightly overpaying him either. Snagging up Atogwe as well would be huge, but I´d be fine with going into the season with Wilson and drafting a FS in the first 3 rounds somewhere as well.

Bodden is a quality #2 guy, especially with his ball awareness. If they could get him for the reported $4-5 mil I wouldn't be against it.

I just question if he fits what we're doing here. He did not look good playing in a cover 2 defense, and we play a lot of cover 3. So would he be assigned the deep 1/3 zone where D-Rob mostly played(where his ball skills won't be put to good use), or is he going to be stuck in the flats where he struggled, but had more opportunities to make plays?

Apparantly Mr. Bodden was an UDFA and has WORKED his way into being the starting corner for the Pats. Something to be said for that kind of work ethic.

Atogwe would be a nice player to snag, but what about Jarrad Page from KC? He's 4 years younger (25) & has great size for a FS (6'0, 225lbs.). I believe he's been tagged with a 2nd round pick grade. If we're willing to take an unproven FS with our 1st, why not give up a 2nd for a proven player?

There's a reason for his great size. He's a STRONG safety not a FREE safety. He was tried at FS by KC with no great results. Problem is we need a FS.

Bodden is a quality #2 guy, especially with his ball awareness. If they could get him for the reported $4-5 mil I wouldn't be against it.

I just question if he fits what we're doing here. He did not look good playing in a cover 2 defense, and we play a lot of cover 3. So would he be assigned the deep 1/3 zone where D-Rob mostly played(where his ball skills won't be put to good use), or is he going to be stuck in the flats where he struggled, but had more opportunities to make plays?

Actually, in Bush's system, I think we play more man coverage than cover 3. And I wonder about his ability to play man because I think of him more of a zone guy. If we are playing more zone coverage, then I think he's a great fit.

Am I worng on that?

Actually, in Bush's system, I think we play more man coverage than cover 3. And I wonder about his ability to play man because I think of him more of a zone guy. If we are playing more zone coverage, then I think he's a great fit.

Am I worng on that?

ive heard the exact opposite. he has a reputation as a very good man corner that struggles in zone and was pretty bad in marrinelli's cover 2 scheme in detroit a couple yrs back

Am I worng on that?

It depends on who we're playing. Against the Colts they played a ton of zone to protect against the big play. Against teams that didn't have good QBs they would play more man and bring the blitz. The only major exceptions to that strategy that stand out to me were NE week 17, where they wanted to scare Brady right off the field, and the games where we got a big lead and started playing a lot of quarters.

I didn't exactly watch a lot of Browns football, but I've been led to believe that they ran quite a bit of man coverage during Bodden's stay, and it was his move to Detroit and their cover-2/Tampa-2 where he struggled.

This is the best signing we can make given our needs and the players available in FA. He is an upgrade over our previous # 1 CB imo simply because he won't be embarrassed against the opposing team's # 1 (like Dunta) and he actually adds playmaking ability at the CB position. Something we haven't had since Aaron Glenn was here and Dunta's rookie season.

We'd finally have a CB who is a threat for INTs and might even snag a pick six once in awhile while also upgrading our CB # 1.

If we can snag Earl Thomas and have a starting secondary of Bodden/Thomas/Pollard/Quinn I will be a very happy Texan :)

Kind of. Eugene Wilson will be back after Farve knocked him out for the year. He isn't a superstar but he isn't catfish bait either. In half a season he had as many INTs as our entire CB crew. God that's pathetic.

Wilson is an above average player and a very solid starter when he's healthy. The problem is he has missed 45% of his games the past 3 seasons. That's why we need another FS. Technically, it doesn't need to be an upgrade but we all wouldn't mind if it was.

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about Bodden, because I haven't a clue. I'm taking the input of you guys and weighing the good and the bad. Seems like he will be an upgrade, but still has some areas where he can improve (as does any NFL player). That really isn't any different than Dunta, and if we can get him for 1/2 the cost, it's a no brainer. I'd still like to see us get a solid shut down corner (if there really is such a thing anymore), but maybe in the next couple of years via draft.

Canfora reporting that it's a two-horse race between the Pats and Texans and that Bodden is probably leaning to Houston.

I would suspect if he is carried into the flat by his man here in Houston, he will have plenty of help from Cushing.

Canfora reporting that it's a two-horse race between the Pats and Texans and that Bodden is probably leaning to Houston.

Good news.....I guess. Again, I'm depending on you guys to know if he's a good fit for how we want to run our D. :evil: So far though, he sounds pretty promising and keeps us from reaching in the draft for an unproven.

Wilson is an above average player and a very solid starter when he's healthy. The problem is he has missed 45% of his games the past 3 seasons. That's why we need another FS. Technically, it doesn't need to be an upgrade but we all wouldn't mind if it was.

Very true. Can't stay on the field then the talent doesn't matter. But Wilson is a very solid starter.

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about Bodden, because I haven't a clue. I'm taking the input of you guys and weighing the good and the bad. Seems like he will be an upgrade, but still has some areas where he can improve (as does any NFL player). That really isn't any different than Dunta, and if we can get him for 1/2 the cost, it's a no brainer. I'd still like to see us get a solid shut down corner (if there really is such a thing anymore), but maybe in the next couple of years via draft.

Bodden is just a different player. He is going to be more physical at the line (if the coaches allow it) and less physical on the tackles. He isn't Deion and is going to give up passes. He'll gamble more than Dunta does to get INTs. He's not a star and like Dunta he'll be a solid player who probably will never make the pro-bowl. As a team we need solid.

im worried about this signing he comes from a 3/4 def and the texans are a 4/3 def dont get me wrong he is a good player but its got to be a good price

Very true. Can't stay on the field then the talent doesn't matter. But Wilson is a very solid starter.

Bodden is just a different player. He is going to be more physical at the line (if the coaches allow it) and less physical on the tackles. He isn't Deion and is going to give up passes. He'll gamble more than Dunta does to get INTs. He's not a star and like Dunta he'll be a solid player who probably will never make the pro-bowl. As a team we need solid.

Thanks for the info Icak. :texflag:

im worried about this signing he comes from a 3/4 def and the texans are a 4/3 def dont get me wrong he is a good player but its got to be a good price

The 3/4 vs. 4/3 thing doesn't really matter much to the DB's. If he's playing man, he's playing his man and if he's playing zone, he's playing his zone.

Back