Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Laremy Tunsil Extended

I think the plan was/is to draft their franchise quarterback. They know the importance of protecting that quarterback blindside. They also brought in Case to be a mentor to whoever they draft at quarterback. Mills doesn’t have enough experience to be that type of veteran mentor.
I agree with Case as mentor but not as starter. Trial by error, is fast path to greatness.

I thought the dead $ 16.7 has to be accounted for this seasons cap. I refer to Troy at OTC.
Apparently so, with Tunsil having a $24 million bonus allocation for 2023. Here's Tunsil's cap hit for the next 4 seasons.

2023 - $26.6 mil
2024 - $25.9 mil
2025 - $28.85 mil
2026 - $28.85 mil

Tunsil will receive $32.4 million in salary and bonuses in 2023. So if you have a yacht for sale, you might know whom to call.

Makes no sense unless they draft a franchise QB. Which pretty much paints them in a corner #2 overall and next 3 years.

Not neccessarily as the option to trade down is still on the table....but im not so sure they were ever not painted into a corner. Everyone knew they needed a qb in the worst way & The only other viable picks they could've taken at 2 were either a LT or a pass rusher...& Well there was no LT worth the #2 pick...& Will Anderson is the only pass rusher worth it at the slot.

I like this signing though for what it says/does to KC who was rumored to be interested in trading for him. & With Orlando Brown gone & now Tunsil locked up, it sorta opens up a weakness for them. They'll either have to draft some late round guy or trot some 2nd rate guy out there to protect Mahomes' backside.

Yeah but KC is the new Patriots, their cap management is so fine tuned when a contract exceeds their metrics they let them walk in free agency and pick up 3rd/4th compensatory pick.

Orlando is a great case study of leveraging your skills elsewhere for market value and Tunsil is as well, he’s just fell into a situation with a bad team who needs plus players and will pay market to keep. This coming season, it might finally pay off.

Yeah but KC is the new Patriots, their cap management is so fine tuned when a contract exceeds their metrics they let them walk in free agency and pick up 3rd/4th compensatory pick.

Orlando is a great case study of leveraging your skills elsewhere for market value and Tunsil is as well, he’s just fell into a situation with a bad team who needs plus players and will pay market to keep. This coming season, it might finally pay off.

Has more to do with them being able to get away with more b/c they have 1 of the games premier signal callers who can make up for their deficiences...but for the most part i agree. Still doesn't hurt that they appear to have taken a little bit of a hit tho.

Has more to do with them being able to get away with more b/c they have 1 of the games premier signal callers who can make up for their deficiences...but for the most part i agree. Still doesn't hurt that they appear to have taken a little bit of a hit tho.
Yep, the Chiefs have Mahomes and Kelce on offense and a bunch of meh on offense around them and still had a top 5 scoring offense. It’s building a team on easy mode over there

FROM OVERTHECAP.COM:

Current Contract
(Extension, signed 2023)

(📝: indicates contract trigger occuring during that year)

YearAgeBase SalaryProrated BonusPer Game Roster BonusWorkout BonusGuaranteed SalaryCap
Number
Cap %Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension
202329$2,000,000$24,210,834$250,000$150,000$2,000,000$26,610,83411.5%$66,710,834($40,100,000)
2024 📝30$18,000,000$7,500,000$250,000$150,000$18,000,000$25,900,00010.1%$40,500,000($14,600,000)
202531$20,950,000$7,500,000$250,000$150,000$0$28,850,00010.2%$15,000,000$13,850,000
202632$20,950,000$7,500,000$250,000$150,000$0$28,850,0009.4%$7,500,000$21,350,000
Total$61,900,000$46,710,834$1,000,000$600,000$20,000,000$110,210,834

Yep, the Chiefs have Mahomes and Kelce on offense and a bunch of meh on offense around them and still had a top 5 scoring offense. It’s building a team on easy mode over there

Play money ball roster building around those two future HOF players.

He may not be the best LT in the NFL, but he's a darn good one and whoever the starting QB is this year, he'll appreciate having Tunsil. At least we don't have to draft a LT (high) this year.

When reading the tweet above about resetting the market and being the top paid LT, I was thinking just that, he's not the best LT but he's near the top, particularly as a pass blocker and a QB would be happy with what he does in that regard .... the cost here is probably justified in what he does to help a young QB develop over the course of the 3 years of the contract.

But damn .... for Top Position Money I expect him to be a more well rounded player, he's just not that good as a run blocker, you can't line up behind him on 4th & 1 and expect to go get that 1 the vast majority of times.

When reading the tweet above about resetting the market and being the top paid LT, I was thinking just that, he's not the best LT but he's near the top, particularly as a pass blocker and a QB would be happy with what he does in that regard .... the cost here is probably justified in what he does to help a young QB develop over the course of the 3 years of the contract.

But damn .... for Top Position Money I expect him to be a more well rounded player, he's just not that good as a run blocker, you can't line up behind him on 4th & 1 and expect to go get that 1 the vast majority of times.

Yep. He is what he is, and considering the circumstances the Texans find themselves in, I'd have to say he's worth it. Most especially if they draft their new QB this year.

I don’t think it paints Caserio or Ryans in a corner regarding the QB position.

Having a ready and willing Tunsil helps Keenum and Mills as much as it does a rookie QB.

Get the “Baker’s Dirty Dozen” fortified along with a WR, RB, and SS…..and this team should be much better than what has been put on the field over the past three seasons.

Yes it absolutely did. Makes the money match the priority, drafting a franchise QB as known now, CJ Stroud. In this scenario - excellent decision on both counts.

Cannot speak to the opening it afforded Texans to go and trade back up for Will Anderson, but it just show the pressure relief that accelerated such a move.

Tunsil has been by far, best Texan during rebuild, although he struggled with injury 2021 he came back healthy 2022 in a contract year, and played outstanding on a bad football team. Mason was another great signing. Nasty, smart people mover. Greene will have a chip to prove his worth, 100% fully healthy. Juice Scruggs is a mature rookie who can process & make the line calls, big upgrade where needed. Tytus Howard should finally settle into his natural position @ RT. Overall a top 15 OL compared to #26th in 2022.

Another strong supporting theme for this Texan team to surprise the NFL. My projections, there is some meat already on bone to support this, but rookies still need to acclimate and quickly but least there are necessary foundation pieces for success. Also feel Ryans saw this opportunity and the one who seized it!

Yes it absolutely did. Makes the money match the priority, drafting a franchise QB as known now, CJ Stroud. In this scenario - excellent decision on both counts.

Cannot speak to the opening it afforded Texans to go and trade back up for Will Anderson, but it just show the pressure relief that accelerated such a move.

Tunsil has been by far, best Texan during rebuild, although he struggled with injury 2021 he came back healthy 2022 in a contract year, and played outstanding on a bad football team. Mason was another great signing. Nasty, smart people mover. Greene will have a chip to prove his worth, 100% fully healthy. Juice Scruggs is a mature rookie who can process & make the line calls, big upgrade where needed. Tytus Howard should finally settle into his natural position @ RT. Overall a top 15 OL compared to #26th in 2022.

Another strong supporting theme for this Texan team to surprise the NFL. My projections, there is some meat already on bone to support this, but rookies still need to acclimate and quickly but least there are necessary foundation pieces for success. Also feel Ryans saw this opportunity and the one who seized it!
Building blocks

Excellent! TY for posting.

1. Team needs to watch it.
2. LT and mom need to do Blue Bell ice cream commercial like the Watts did HEB. 😄

3 LT kept mouth shut and played ball. Why I respect him so much.

4. Flex those biceps!

We need a roll call for all of those that wanted to trade Tunsil for a late 1st/early 2nd rd pick?

Did he keep his mouth shut? I seem to remember otherwise along with a minor injury that kept him sidelined far longer then it should have.

There's every chance I misheard him since he was talking through a gas mask.

?

I didn't hear him say anything.

What I did see was a guy that wasn't going to comeback and risk injury playing on a team that was obviously tanking.

Did he keep his mouth shut? I seem to remember otherwise along with a minor injury that kept him sidelined far longer then it should have.
Wasn't it a thumb injury? Why would you think that minor for a LT?

There is no such thing as a pro linemen who hasn't had a finger injury. They all get it and LT'S was nothing spectacular.

It doesn't warrant the time he missed.
Doesn't sound minor to me

Sources: Laremy Tunsil has torn thumb ligament,will eventually need surgery
By Aaron Wilson Oct 11, 2021

Texans Pro Bowl left offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil was diagnosed Monday with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb after a magnetic resonance imaging exam was conducted, and the injury will eventually require surgery, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.

Tunsil is going to attempt to play through the injury, if possible, and could forego surgery until after the season if he's able to handle his blocking assignments. The UCL is attached to the middle joint of the thumb, which keeps the thumb stable to allow to pinch and grasp objects.

Last edited:
That's a strong accusation.

Tell me more.

I think it's a reasonable accusation.

They gutted their roster for two years, started a mediocre at best QB for two years, had consecutive caretaker HCs (one of which was a HC in name only) for two years, and on the whole made zero attempt to field a legitimately competitive team for two full years. I'd challenge you to point to anything, any one thing, that was done that genuinely made them look like anything other than tanking the whole time.

A complete reset was the plan to put back together all the broken done by O'Brien and co. And the concurrent plan was to run as bare as possible to take advantage of parity mechanisms built into the league to make the actual build part of the rebuild as viable as possible. That concurrent plan is also known as tanking.

A thumb UCL grade III tear (a complete rupture) is not a minor injury. A plaster cast or splint is still necessary for a few weeks after the surgery to protect the UCL repair, which heals usually within 6 weeks. Return of full function usually takes up to 3 months, but sometimes longer. Tunsil would have needed to play with a club after 6 weeks. Performance would be significantly compromised......a LT needs to be able to grasp requiring full functioning thumb range of motion AND strength. Tunsil could have possibly returned without a club sometime mid to late December. But the team was certainly not in the hunt for a playoff spot, and there was no reason not to shut him down and shoot for next season.

We need a roll call for all of those that wanted to trade Tunsil for a late 1st/early 2nd rd pick?
I did (multi picks) and it hasn't changed but he's a Texan and I'm good with it. If he takes his craft to another level to dominate in both phases then great. If he continues to pass protect at a high level then cool too. If he declines or gets hurt I'm not going to revisit.

I rarely post, but I was ready for Tunsil to be traded. Gave up too much to get him, and I actually thought Howard looked ok at LT when he had the opportunity. His play has changed my mind, he could put more effort in the run game. Best pass blocking tackle in the NFL, improved effort in run game, could be 1 of the best OVERALL tackles in the league

I rarely post, but I was ready for Tunsil to be traded. Gave up too much to get him, and I actually thought Howard looked ok at LT when he had the opportunity. His play has changed my mind, he could put more effort in the run game. Best pass blocking tackle in the NFL, improved effort in run game, could be 1 of the best OVERALL tackles in the league
Thanks for this post.

I wish other posters were more like you.

Tunsil is the third-ranked pass protector in the NFL among tackles with an 84.8 mark, according to Pro Football Focus. He has allowed just 12 hurries this season, tying him for the second fewest in the NFL and the least in the AFC.

He gets a lot of flack on here for his false starts but he’s playing hurt and still protecting the QB.

He’s not a road grader in the run game by any means but he does the LT’s number 1 job (protect the QB) as well as anyone.

I
He gets a lot of flack on here for his false starts but he’s playing hurt and still protecting the QB.

He’s not a road grader in the run game by any means but he does the LT’s number 1 job (protect the QB) as well as anyone.

I dunno for sure but in my very modest & limited football experiece/history I've had groin injuries which would be very challenging and difficult for say a receiver to deal with but maybe not so much for an OT.

Back