Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Laremy Tunsil Extended

I

I dunno for sure but in my very modest & limited football experiece/history I've had groin injuries which would be very challenging and difficult for say a receiver to deal with but maybe not so much for an OT.
A LT needs strong adductors to resist pass rushers and change direction against resistance. Tunsil has performed admirably despite this significant handicap which affects his hip stability.

Tunsil is the third-ranked pass protector in the NFL among tackles with an 84.8 mark, according to Pro Football Focus. He has allowed just 12 hurries this season, tying him for the second fewest in the NFL and the least in the AFC.
PFF rankings are questionable at best.

Tunsil is the third-ranked pass protector in the NFL among tackles with an 84.8 mark, according to Pro Football Focus. He has allowed just 12 hurries this season, tying him for the second fewest in the NFL and the least in the AFC.
And he's been playing injured.

For the nerds that love them some PFF you would think they would love them some Tunsil, but that isn't the case around these parts.

With the injuries he's gone through he's still been one of the top LT in the NFL and he's done this playing in great pain most of the season. To think that some posters think he lacks toughness. SMH, I just don't get all of the hate.
No one is questioning his toughness. I'm questioning his timing.

And he's been playing injured.

For the nerds that love them some PFF you would think they would love them some Tunsil, but that isn't the case around these parts.
Tilting at windmills, again. No one currently is advocating for a Tunsil trade.

PFF rankings are questionable at best.
Why don't you list the top 10 LTs from your preferred ranking system and let us compare. Could be a good discussion.

That is all PFF is, a ranking system. The key to any system is consistency over time. We are at the end of the 2023 season and are at a point where the ranking parameters should average out. Such things as good teams vs bad teams; good players vs bad players; injuries; etc.

I'm sure it's buried somewhere in the internet, but a quick google search reveals that the NFL, ESPN, CBS, among others, don't rank offensive linemen. Maybe I just don't filter properly, but I'm really curious what your rankings are.

He just made the pro bowl again and our QB doesn't have to watch his blind side. With Mills that wasn't worth it but with Shroud it absolutely is. Yeah he's still the highest paid LT but we still have the 5th most money to spend in FA, with only about 3 million between us and the 3rd most money, and Shroud is best when he can be a Brady style pocket passer so if 25 million buys him another 5 second or more to pick a target then its money well spent in my book. All that being said is anyone really still unhappy with the deal and I've just missed it?

A LT needs strong adductors to resist pass rushers and change direction against resistance. Tunsil has performed admirably despite this significant handicap which affects his hip stability.
Of course I had no clue what an adductor was other than to think it sounds like some kind of electrical component but thought nah probably not and definitely not the sort of thing a medical doctor would say, especially in this context.
So after googling it, I now have even more appreciation for Tunsil's importance to our team as the blind side protector of our organizations most valuable asset.
Thanks Doc !

Of course I had no clue what an adductor was other than to think it sounds like some kind of electrical component but thought nah probably not and definitely not the sort of thing a medical doctor would say, especially in this context.
So after googling it, I now have even more appreciation for Tunsil's importance to our team as the blind side protector of our organizations most valuable asset.
Thanks Doc !
:tiphat:

Just FYI, I've posted quite a few comments over the years, with included anatomical pictures, to explain what an adductor injury is.

I have come around on Tunsil. Nick paid the man, and he’s produced. I also love Howard…but if in 2024 he misses half the season again, I may rethink him for 25. For now, I still consider Howard a big piece of the puzzle.

:tiphat:

Just FYI, I've posted quite a few comments over the years, with included anatomical pictures, to explain what an adductor injury is.
Dang Doc, take a break would you because you are making me feel like I'm being reprimanded for missing one of your commentaries/lectures for the solution to solve the problem of Global Warming.
Somehow I missed it, I'm sorry !

Dang Doc, take a break would you because you are making me feel like I'm being reprimanded for missing one of your commentaries/lectures for the solution to solve the problem of Global Warming.
Somehow I missed it, I'm sorry !
To your credit, many don't make the effort to look things up when they don't understand something.

inthink I read 4 false starts and 3 holds. Obviously, the goal is zeros on both, but that’s certainly within scope of most LT imho. I don’t have the time to look up every LT in the league, but that’s not an alarming number of penalties in my book.
7 is the same number of penalties that Trent Williams had... he had more holding and fewer false starts. Here is a list for all OL

Great job JB! I sorted the columns by games played to compare all guys with 13 starts. Point of fact, Laremy is among the most penalized within this segment.

Three False Starts and four holding calls - a total of seven.

I should note that if you look at guys that have started every game, Jawaan Taylor has 16 total penalties, and he is the worst. A handful of guys like Thuney only have one total penalty, and they are the best at not getting flagged.

It's fair to say in relation to his peers, the data for this year shows I was wrong. He is indeed in something like the 90th percentile in terms of percentage of penalties for linemen.

It's fair to say in relation to his peers, the data for this year shows I was wrong. He is indeed in something like the 90th percentile in terms of percentage of penalties for linemen.
When you consider he played hurt almost every game, still not bad. Trent Williams only played one more game and had the same number of penalties and is the best LT in the league for an established OL. I believe part of Tunsil false starts are because of inconsistent snaps and snap counts by different centers and QB's

Should other posters point out your previous opinions on Stroud?
Have at it, I've said many times I got that eval wrong.

I will say it again for clarity, Stroud is much better than the avg QB I thought he would be.

How many more times do you want me to type this? Do you get wood or something asking this question? It's the only reason I can figure out why you would keep this narrative going.

I have come around on Tunsil. Nick paid the man, and he’s produced. I also love Howard…but if in 2024 he misses half the season again, I may rethink him for 25. For now, I still consider Howard a big piece of the puzzle.
Even though CloakNNNdagger has compared Titus Howard's knee injury to a former Texan who was unsuccessful in his comeback?

How many more times do you want me to type this? Do you get wood or something asking this question? It's the only reason I can figure out why you would keep this narrative going.
You certainly had no qualm about repeating your prior opinions every chance you got even when it was in a conversation about something else entirely. Don't begrudge others for pointing out that as often as they feel necessary. You've never cared about their feelings, don't expect them to care about yours now

I was surprised that Tunsil was the starting left tackle for the upcoming Pro bowl due to his injuries.
It will be interesting to watch how the residuals impact his play in the next three years of his contract.

You certainly had no qualm about repeating your prior opinions every chance you got even when it was in a conversation about something else entirely. Don't begrudge others for pointing out that as often as they feel necessary. You've never cared about their feelings, don't expect them to care about yours now
Ok

I will continue to say the same thing over and over again.

This should be fun.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
7 is the same number of penalties that Trent Williams had... he had more holding and fewer false starts. Here is a list for all OL
I always feel as if holding can sometimes be a bit of a vet move, like I’m getting beat anyway so let’s hold now and not get my QB killed, vs a false start which for whatever reason it happens seems like a bit of a brain fade. Not seen coaches speak on this at all, but is there a situation where maybe Tunsil false starts because he doesn’t like the protection vs the rush he’s seeing and there isn’t time to fix it so the 5 yards is better than the alternative? It’s hard to understand why one of the best OL in the game makes these mistakes consistently.

I like seeing the PFF ranking posted but I wouldn’t subscribe to it and pore over their numbers myself. Serves as a reminder, though, that the league as a whole is struggling for OL play due to a mixture of these guys arriving from college less prepared, very few contact practices allowed under CBA, trends within the sport having fewer dominant running backs and QBs who want to hold the ball longer. Hold Tunsil to the standard of the rest of the league right now, not past ideas of how LTs played with more running O, fewer sacks and more practice.

Hoping he makes it through tomorrow night unscathed, the OL looked awful as a unit while he was unavailable at the start of the season something which quietly changed on his return.

I always feel as if holding can sometimes be a bit of a vet move, like I’m getting beat anyway so let’s hold now and not get my QB killed, vs a false start which for whatever reason it happens seems like a bit of a brain fade.
The penalty is too steep for a holding call, imo, for it to be a "savvy veteran move." 10 yards is hard to overcome, especially on third down, or in the red zone.

Not seen coaches speak on this at all, but is there a situation where maybe Tunsil false starts because he doesn’t like the protection vs the rush he’s seeing and there isn’t time to fix it so the 5 yards is better than the alternative? It’s hard to understand why one of the best OL in the game makes these mistakes consistently.
Tunsil's false starts happen in various situations even after being set for plenty enough time to adjust. And there are small lil adjustments that tackles can get away with like adjusting their back foot before the snap to gain an advantage/leverage. But in Tunsil's case, most of the time it's blatant so IMO, it's a lack of concentration.

I always feel as if holding can sometimes be a bit of a vet move, like I’m getting beat anyway so let’s hold now and not get my QB killed, vs a false start which for whatever reason it happens seems like a bit of a brain fade. Not seen coaches speak on this at all, but is there a situation where maybe Tunsil false starts because he doesn’t like the protection vs the rush he’s seeing and there isn’t time to fix it so the 5 yards is better than the alternative? It’s hard to understand why one of the best OL in the game makes these mistakes consistently.

I like seeing the PFF ranking posted but I wouldn’t subscribe to it and pore over their numbers myself. Serves as a reminder, though, that the league as a whole is struggling for OL play due to a mixture of these guys arriving from college less prepared, very few contact practices allowed under CBA, trends within the sport having fewer dominant running backs and QBs who want to hold the ball longer. Hold Tunsil to the standard of the rest of the league right now, not past ideas of how LTs played with more running O, fewer sacks and more practice.

Hoping he makes it through tomorrow night unscathed, the OL looked awful as a unit while he was unavailable at the start of the season something which quietly changed on his return.
I think it is a combination of the things you have mentioned. Often I find myself giving an okay to a hold or P I by a defensive back as better than allowing the alternative. As I've stated other times, the best thing about LT: he does not allow his quarterback to bite the dirt often. I wished he was as good at run blocking but we just have to deal with that. I also voice my concerns about his future health.

You would rather have CJ Stroud sacked than a 10-yard penalty against Laremy Tunsil?
Please explain that one.
There's no guarantee S2roud will be sacked. He's a good QB who does a good job of protecting himself.

I'd take the penalty before a 17 yard sack, but that's not the same as saying it's a savvy move for a LT to hold. That's stupid.

He also had a nice block on Garrett on Singletary's TD.

People need to start giving him credit around here! I know I wasn’t the only one that noticed the savvy veteran move with the false start in the Colts game on 4th and 1 when he clearly didn’t like the playcall and/or look at the line. ;)

Set the team up to win the field position battle and eventually the game!

People need to start giving him credit around here! I know I wasn’t the only one that noticed the savvy veteran move with the false start in the Colts game on 4th and 1 when he clearly didn’t like the playcall and/or look at the line. ;)

Set the team up to win the field position battle and eventually the game!
He should have been called for two false starts yesterday. One they put on Garrett. The other they just didn't call. Kudos to the refs.

But yeah... he's playing championship level football.

Back