Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ has asked to be released

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
Another stupid Texans strategic blunder. We get NOTHING for HOFer Watt that still has at least a little time left in the league. We should've traded him about 3 years ago when he had a much higher value - like a 1st or at worst 2nd rounder. Aren't we supposed to be "Patriots South" - that's what Belichick would have done. They waited sooo long to do anything with him that teams called their bluff on giving anything because they HAD to either trade or cut him with their cap and overall team situation. This is exactly why we will never win a Super Bowl. GD its hard to be a fan of this team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He gone. Wants nothing to do with hanging around here. Don't blame him. TB, KC, GB or Pitt? Got nothing for him. Does NC not care?
What happens now isn't a NC decision. It's a McNair decision.

BTW, I don't remember where but I thought this would be the likely outcome.

Good news is the cap situation just got a whole lot better.

Time to continue to clean up the mess.

Bugman7star

All Pro
We knew Watt was leaving. If any player deserved the chance to just be released so he can choose where he wants to go, it was him. The reality of it along with the mess of these last few months amplifies our frustrations and disgust with this franchise. It is going to very painful for awhile Houston. Strap up.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
To everyone screaming we got nothing out of him and then turning around and saying that he deserves to go for a ring, news flash, the Texans agreed with you. His contract hit was to big for any real contender team to sign him so the only team that could afford his current contract would be another bottom of the barrel team. So here is where fans get to make a choice, either you go cold hearted and trade him for whatever you can get but you screw him over or you repay him for the years of service and take the hit yourself so he can be free.

Texans front office are in a no win situation around this place. If they had traded him people would be screaming about how could they do that to JJ and if they cut him people are screaming about how come we didn't get anything for him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
To everyone screaming we got nothing out of him and then turning around and saying that he deserves to go for a ring, news flash, the Texans agreed with you. His contract hit was to big for any real contender team to sign him so the only team that could afford his current contract would be another bottom of the barrel team. So here is where fans get to make a choice, either you go cold hearted and trade him for whatever you can get but you screw him over or you repay him for the years of service and take the hit yourself so he can be free.

Texans front office are in a no win situation around this place. If they had traded him people would be screaming about how could they do that to JJ and if they cut him people are screaming about how come we didn't get anything for him.
Exactly

They also would have been screaming about how NC didn't get enough when he traded Watt.

What's the difference? Those same people (majority of casual fans) will still be hurt at his leaving now. The team's vision is always in question to those who are not just casual fans, but I understand it's the McNair's team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So instead of at least getting something this past year before the trade deadline, which culminated into the outstanding 4-12 record, the Texans just mutually agree to let him stroll out on his own.
Yep,

This was the mistake I was talking about at the time. You could've probably gotten a 4th or 5th Rd pick for him plus the cap rollover.

I can't believe they gave DW4 what he wanted at the deadline ( no trades) Those extra picks for Watt/WFV sure would come in handy this off-season

Maybe there's a lesson to be learned here.

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
Nick Caserio's first move as GM? Get no draft compensation for your first ballot HOFer that still has something left in the tank. Reeks to me of doofus Cal saying "we need to do right by JJ".

austins23

Hall of Fame
JJ was outstanding in his prime, when he had the other talent around him. He won games, changed games, etc. After injuries and the OB "grenade drop" on the defense, JJ wasn't JJ anymore. We all knew this was coming. Good for him and good for the Texans. Blow it up, start over. That is what it will take.

I hope he does well wherever he goes, I'll watch him when I can.

Now let's see what Caserio can/will do with this team.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Nick Caserio's first move as GM? Get no draft compensation for your first ballot HOFer that still has something left in the tank. Reeks to me of doofus Cal saying "we need to do right by JJ".
So you are against them letting him have a chance at a ring? I can understand if you outlook is "Texans first and the player's wishes don't matter" and I can even agree with you for the most part but I am just trying to understand what your outlook on it is.

AnthonyE

Lurker
So they mutually agreed to part ways. Does that mean they released him? So no trade, no picks . . . . .nothing . . . .in return . . .
Maybe if Billy O Brien was the GM of some other team we could unload JJ on him, but I seriously doubt any competent GM would take on JJ's contract. Realistically, JJ has played in about half the games over the last like 4 years due to injury, had just 5.5 sacks last year, and is set to make 17 million dollars. Not a good value, especially if we only get a 5th rounder in return. JJ's done enough for this city and team to let him pick his own team.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Now we’re about to make this bigger than what it is. The same people wanted him gone and said he was a shell of his former self. JJ was done.
Sure, he isn't a young buck any more by dlineman standards, but the value of Watt is his work ethic and leadership - he will make any team he joins instantly better.
Not forgetting to mention his knowledge of the game.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
What happens now isn't a NC decision. It's a McNair decision.

BTW, I don't remember where but I thought this would be the likely outcome.

Good news is the cap situation just got a whole lot better.

Time to continue to clean up the mess.
Agreed.

No one had a reason to trade for him because the cap hit was so high for us.

Sucks we didn’t get any thing but we did right by JJ and now can sign with whoever he likes.

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
So you are against them letting him have a chance at a ring? I can understand if you outlook is "Texans first and the player's wishes don't matter" and I can even agree with you for the most part but I am just trying to understand what your outlook on it is.
Not really against this move at this point. My frustration is I have felt for about 3 years we should have offloaded him for a late 1st or 2nd rounder. Texans let it get to the point where they didn't have a choice but release him. At this point real teams like Packers and Steelers said "we will just wait until he is released and won't have to take on his salary or give you draft compensation". That is how real teams operate. Texans are led by doofus Cal that let things get to this point and then wanted to feel good and do right by JJ - nothing in this whole situation helps the Texans organization win.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Not really against this move at this point. My frustration is I have felt for about 3 years we should have offloaded him for a late 1st or 2nd rounder. Texans let it get to the point where they didn't have a choice but release him. Real teams like Packers and Steelers said "we will just wait until he is released and won't have to take on his salary or give you draft compensation". That is how real teams operate. Texans are led by doofus Cal that let things get to this point and then wanted to feel good and do right by JJ.
No what you are talking about is how Belichick does things, most other teams do what the Texans did and let their star players past their prime control their own destiny for the last couple of years. Also Packers and Steelers are in worst cap situation than even us.

banned1976

sleeper mode
No what you are talking about is how Belichick does things, most other teams do what the Texans did and let their star players past their prime control their own destiny for the last couple of years. Also Packers and Steelers are in worst cap situation than even us.
Watt will likely go wherever he feels gives him the best opportunity to win a ring. He's not chasing money right now so someone is going to get a pretty good bargain.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Looking at the press release and the timing of JJs video who knows they may have tried to find a team a day or two ago that would give us a 4th or 5th and JJ reworks his contract for them but that was most-likely NO ONE given the CONTINUING PROJECTION OF DYSFUNCTION from this orginization. You just wait for his release

Last edited: