Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JaDeveon Clowney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Swearinger said that Clowney knew right away something was wrong, tried to stay in an extra play, and then exited.

What Swearinger said to Clowney reminded me of what Belichick said when Wes Welker tore his ACL in Houston in 2009 http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/belichick-blames-welker-injury-on-reliant-stadium-turf/ …

Texans S DJ Swearinger told me Jadeveon Clowney said in the immediate aftermath he stepped on one of "the holes" in the NRG Stadium field.
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Former #Texans punter Brett Hartmann sued the county agency that operates NRG Stadium in 2012, blaming his ACL tear on unsafe turf.
SMMFH :mariopalm:

Fix the
turf!!!

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
It's been time for FieldTurf for a long time. No mater how bad the field in Denver looked last night, nobody was worried about it shredding somebody's knee.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Imo, do the surgery to repair whatever is needing repaired. We should know how this season's going by the time he's able to return. If we're out of the playoff hunt, which is likely, shut him down. Dude needs to work hard on his lower body anyway.

We'll probably put him on the IR with the possibility to return.
With the estimate of 4-6 weeks given by the Texans, they have to be talking about a very small lateral meniscus tear in which they intend to be "removing" a small portion of the meniscus (removal of any portion of a meniscus is referred to as a "meniscectomy"). If they go in there and decide to perform a "repair" of the meniscus or if they have to remove a significant section of the meniscus, I would not expect him to return this season. (I explained the "excision" vs. "repair" implications in a Louis Nix thread a while back.......Nix underwent the latter.) Keep in mind that lateral meniscus tears when compared to comparable tears in the medial meniscus carry a greater degree of concern as far as return to play and the level at which the performance may be affected upon return.

I'd like to share with you the abstract of a very recent and very-appropriate-to-this-discussion study that came out in the American Journal of Sports Medicine just a couple of months ago.......co-authored by Dr. James Andrew the "orthopedic guru."
Return to Play After Partial Lateral Meniscectomy in National
Football League Athletes

Kyle T. Aune,*y MPH, James R. Andrews,y MD, Jeffrey R. Dugas,y MD,
and E. Lyle Cain Jr,y MD
Investigation performed at the American Sports Medicine Institute, Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Background: Lateral meniscal injury is a common and possibly career-threatening injury among players in the National Football
League (NFL). The rate of return to play (RTP) and factors that affect RTP after lateral meniscal injury in NFL players are currently
not defined.

Purpose: The aims of this study were to determine the rate of RTP to regular-season NFL game play of NFL players after arthroscopic partial lateral meniscectomy and to identify factors that can predict the ability to return to play.

Study Design: Case series; Level of evidence, 4.

Methods: Seventy-two patients undergoing 77 arthroscopic lateral partial meniscectomies were followed to determine the rate of RTP (defined as successful RTP in at least 1 regular-season NFL game after meniscectomy) and factors predicting players’ ability to return to play. Perioperative variables were recorded using retrospective chart review. Players’ heights and weights, dates of return, draft rounds, and counts of games, starts, and seasons both before and after meniscectomy were all collected from statistical databases maintained by the NFL. Chi-square and Student t tests were performed to assess differences among covariates with respect to an athlete’s ability to return to play, and odds ratios were calculated as appropriate. All percentages were calculated as percent of total procedures performed (n = 77).

Results: Of the 77 partial lateral meniscectomies performed, 61% (n = 47) resulted in the athlete returning to play at his previous level of competition with an average length of time to RTP of 8.5 months; 19 (40%) of those who returned were still active in the NFL at the time of follow-up. Age at time of surgery, games and seasons played before surgery, and individual position were not significantly different between those who did and did not return to play. Undergoing a concomitant procedure did not affect an athlete’s ability to return to play, nor did concurrent arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction affect a player’s likelihood to return to play. Players drafted in the first 4 rounds of the NFL draft were 3.7 times more likely to return to play than players drafted after the fourth round, and players who started more than 46.2% of their games played (the mean value for this population) were 2.8 times more likely to return to play. Speed-position players (running backs, receivers, linebackers, and defensive backs) were 4.0 times less likely to return to play than non–speed position players (linemen and tight ends).

Conclusion:
The majority of NFL players undergoing arthroscopic lateral meniscectomy are able to return to play. Players selected earlier in the NFL draft and who are listed as starters in more of their games are more likely to return to play, as are linemen and tight ends. It is significantly more difficult for running backs, receivers, linebackers, and defensive backs to return to play.
For those interested in additional details of the study: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFsQFjAIOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.researchgate.net%2Fprofile%2FKyle_Aune%2Fpublication%2F262978076_Return_to_Play_After_Partial_Lateral_Meniscectomy_in_National_Football_League_Athletes%2Flinks%2F0a85e53a98fe68b6a8000000&ei=MuQNVOfHOrHo8AHhvIG4Dw&usg=AFQjCNHm826wFnRUHq7h3YQKvN6SD8d32A&bvm=bv.74649129,d.b2U

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
What is it with Houston football and bad playing surfaces..The dome & that astroturf now this.

Hey Bob, you're making money hand over fist, get some damn field turf!!!!!!!

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Quote:Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer · 42s
Texans S DJ Swearinger told me Jadeveon Clowney said in the immediate aftermath he stepped on one of "the holes" in the NRG Stadium field.
:rolleyes: Not buying that for a second. If he showed any semblance of being able to stay on the field before this, maybe. Now, granted, I'm not a fan of that field either, but this is just an attempt to shift the focus away from the real problem. I'm sorry if that pisses blood into someone's JD Kool-aid bowl.

cstyle42

Rookie
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet or not, but during the game, the sideline reporter stated that the Texans said it was a cramp. Now we learn it's a meniscus tear. Why lie? Isn't it just as easy to say nothing? Just say he's being evaluated, now go away. Instead, they make up some BS story that they know is going to be exposed in short order.

I just don't get people. Jeez.
This is why I don't believe crap until after the game the next day:mail: they actually practice.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
The majority of the players don't want it.
Agree completely. I've played on the old Astroturf and a little in my older age on the artificial stuff they have now. There is no substitute for grass (hehe).

Sadly, it looks like "the tray experiment" isn't working in Houston. I hope Santa Clara is watching. Their turf in their last preseason game was even worse.

:rolleyes: Not buying that for a second. If he showed any semblance of being able to stay on the field before this, maybe. Now, granted, I'm not a fan of that field either, but this is just an attempt to shift the focus away from the real problem. I'm sorry if that pisses blood into someone's JD Kool-aid bowl.
I also want the field replaced but if you watch where he hurts his knee, he just jumps and lands and then clutches his knee. He hurt himself jumping and landing! He's probably going to be about as reliable from a health standpoint as Sharpton was and Cushing is.

jradMIT

Veteran
OB at the presser, says he underwent the surgery today and is sticking with the 4-6 week timetable. For what its worth.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet or not, but during the game, the sideline reporter stated that the Texans said it was a cramp. Now we learn it's a meniscus tear. Why lie? Isn't it just as easy to say nothing? Just say he's being evaluated, now go away. Instead, they make up some BS story that they know is going to be exposed in short order.

I just don't get people. Jeez.
You would be critical if they said nothing, but are critical because they gave you their best guess and were wrong.

Instant perfect information seldom happens.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Houston Texans @HoustonTexans
O'Brien on Clowney: He's a resilient kid. He's been a good teammate since the day he walked in the door. He's disappointed but he'll be back

FWIW, OB has told us that Clowney's surgery has been performed and went well........and recovery should be 4-6 weeks. We'll see.
Our BYE week is week 10 -- just saying. :mail:

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Ok, now that he's out for a half season or more. Who do we sign? We have Reed, Mercilus and Ankrah. We have to get someone, right?

Or, will Crennel adjust his scheme accordingly?

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Ok, now that he's out for a half season or more. Who do we sign? We have Reed, Mercilus and Ankrah. We have to get someone, right?

I think Tuggle will slide out and play some OLB. We may sign someone, though.

kingtexan

All Pro

I can see Mercilus getting the starts and signing someone to replace him in the rotation.

Good timing for Mercilus, he knows he has to show something to earn a contract with us or someone else next year. We might have to hold onto him regardless though!

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Good timing for Mercilus, he knows he has to show something to earn a contract with us or someone else next year. We might have to hold onto him regardless though!
Sad thing is Brooks Reed may play out of his mind this year and he is a FA next season.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I would have to point out that although there were several sources "confirming" a lateral meniscus tear prior to the surgery, there have been no reports so far following the surgery regarding confirmation of the findings of lateral meniscus tear or any other injury by any of these same sources. :thinking:

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
jadeveon clowney 7 ‏@clownejd · 6m
Thanks to everyone for all the support! I'm going to work as hard as I can to get healthy and get back on the field as soon as possible.
:texflag:

Scooter

Funky
going back through the game, i've got a big issue with romeo. on one side of the line you have a guy who's on pace to be in the hall of fame before he retires, approaching jerry rice status as the GOAT by a mile. on the other is a rookie phenom who impossibly has twice the 'get off' as your superstar and is compared to the most elites at the position in that regard. yet clowney spent way too much time wandering the line and inside in a 'where is he coming from' setup.

no.

put clowney on the line of scrimmage and let that absurd get-off work for you. allow it to remove the pulling guard option. allow it garner a false start or few. allow him to get in a rhythm against the tackle for even better jumps. allow it to push the quarterback up into watt and our hands-up heavies. blitz everyone else in the most creative ways you want, but dont screw around with watt and clowney.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
going back through the game, i've got a big issue with romeo. on one side of the line you have a guy who's on pace to be in the hall of fame before he retires, approaching jerry rice status as the GOAT by a mile. on the other is a rookie phenom who impossibly has twice the 'get off' as your superstar and is compared to the most elites at the position in that regard. yet clowney spent way too much time wandering the line and inside in a 'where is he coming from' setup.

no.

put clowney on the line of scrimmage and let that absurd get-off work for you. allow it to remove the pulling guard option. allow it garner a false start or few. allow him to get in a rhythm against the tackle for even better jumps. allow it to push the quarterback up into watt and our hands-up heavies. blitz everyone else in the most creative ways you want, but dont screw around with watt and clowney.
As long as he's getting good results, I'm going to let RAC do whatever he wants.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
I feel confident in Whitney Mercilus playing well starting in place of Jadeveon Clowney. I believe the Texans will be 6-1 or 5-2 by the time Clowney is healthy enough to return. I don't view Clowney's loss as a backbreaker by any means. The schedule is pretty light early on. We should have no trouble beating cupcake teams like the Raiders, Giants and Bills (4-0 record). The Cowboys and Colts will give us a tough game. And if Clowney isn't back by the Steelers, Titans or Eagles game I'll start to feel concerned.There is a bye week after the Eagles game. 9 games in. I'd expect 6-3 or 5-4 if Clowney misses all of them.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
You are right. It was Casserly/Reeves.

Doesn't change the fact that there were a lot of signs and similarities to Mario Williams type of traits when we desperately needed a QB. I don't ever see Clowney being the guy this once in a generation type of guy. Not consistently any way. If he couldn't do it in college, I never understood why anyone thought he would be that guy in the NFL and that is aside from the injuries.
Except both times there wasn't a QB worth taking in the top of the draft. Not a single one. Can't Bradford a pick.

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
"I INSIST you pronounce my name correctly!...OUCH! Myfoot!MyfootMyfoot!Myfoot! ...Oh...thepainofitall!"

:headhurts: Cha...dude. FIRST you're supposed to impress the hell out of EVERYONE with your style of play, THEN you correct them on the pronunciation of your name.

Scooter

Funky
As long as he's getting good results, I'm going to let RAC do whatever he wants.
he wasnt getting a lot of results moving around. clowney's best play came on a run to his side where he was a step away from stealing the handoff (which i expect to happen someday, a quarterback is going to hand the ball off to clowney lol). that's the type of plays that he'll become famous for. blasting off the line from his ROLB/RE position before the offensive line can get to their spots. it's not with his moves or hands or technique - and teams will alter their protection to watch our big time pass rusher showing blitz. kill them with his speed, let someone like reed or mercilus with better hands and leverage get creative.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Field turf. You wouldn't need the trays any more.
NRG utilizes field turf for college games, which is also in trays. Unless the playing surface will be there all the time, there has to be some type of method to bring out in and out of the stadium. And because there's a rodeo at NRG every year, the playing surface can't be permanent.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
NRG utilizes field turf for college games, which is also in trays. Unless the playing surface will be there all the time, there has to be some type of method to bring out in and out of the stadium. And because there's a rodeo at NRG every year, the playing surface can't be permanent.
Cut up the sod in February for the rodeo and relay it afterwards. Typical grounds care that is done everywhere.

honored82

Waterboy
Buffalo is no cup cake team. They are looking good this season. Glad we play them at our Home. Its also too early to tell. we'll see. Fitzy may show them what they are missing :)

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
he wasnt getting a lot of results moving around. clowney's best play came on a run to his side where he was a step away from stealing the handoff (which i expect to happen someday, a quarterback is going to hand the ball off to clowney lol). that's the type of plays that he'll become famous for. blasting off the line from his ROLB/RE position before the offensive line can get to their spots. it's not with his moves or hands or technique - and teams will alter their protection to watch our big time pass rusher showing blitz. kill them with his speed, let someone like reed or mercilus with better hands and leverage get creative.
I don't care about what production any individual player was getting. Only the TEAM production matters. What RAC was doing with Clowney was working.

Status
Not open for further replies.