Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JaDeveon Clowney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
:mail:
Not soon enough... Let's scan through the check list here.

1. Bone spurs
2. Groin injury (that requires surgery)..

That was before we even drafted him.

Now.

3. Hamstring/leg injuries
4. Concussion
5. Meniscus/knee

And I missing anything, because at this point it's becoming difficult to keep up.

I was extremely excited when we drafted the kid and we all saw the plays he's made when on the field, but now I wish we could take that pick back and I'm really starting to doubt the pick... because the guy CAN'T STAY HEALTHY. He can't make it through practice in camp, can't make it through a half of NFL football, hell he required surgery before camp even started.. and now he's hurt, because he "jumped and then landed"? :smiliepalm:

I wish for the best outcome regarding all of this, because it's all I can do, but so far when I think of Jadeveon Clowney the only thing I now think of is a player who we spent a #1 ovrl pick on that can't stay on the freaking field. Then I look over at the other side of the ball and see our QB situation. FML:mariopalm:

Oh well, get well soon.
There were a few of us that went on and on about this before the draft. Not many cared though all because Kiper was saying that he was the next Lawrence Taylor. :mariopalm:

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
meh its wayyy to early to throw him under the bus IMO

all I know is when I seen him on field physical he looked like a freak

to bad 4 him but hopefully he comes back soon cus this guy could murder any Tackle IMO

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Rick smith wasn't the GM when Mario was drafted, just saying.
You are right. It was Casserly/Reeves.

Doesn't change the fact that there were a lot of signs and similarities to Mario Williams type of traits when we desperately needed a QB. I don't ever see Clowney being the guy this once in a generation type of guy. Not consistently any way. If he couldn't do it in college, I never understood why anyone thought he would be that guy in the NFL and that is aside from the injuries.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If it is an isolated lateral meniscus tear, I would expect the spectrum closer to 6-8 weeks for full recovery from this surgery. The problem is that a lateral meniscus can be associated with MCL and/or ACL injuries. Neither of these injuries would surprise me as a finding at surgery.......especially an MCL. If this would be the case, recovery could be expected to be significantly longer.

From the picture below, imagine the lateral meniscus being crushed (coming down wobbly and hard from his jump). Such a crush would bend the knee joint to that side (creating a closed angle). The resulting bend on that side would cause the other side of the joint (the MCL side) to be forced into an open angle.....stretching/tearing the MCL which is there as a check ligament to prevent this type of movement.

This is actually a diagram of a congenital condition mimicking essentially the same type relationship of the knee position I am speaking of above.

Lateral meniscus tears can be caused by disruption of hip mechanics, especially if chronic. As any of you that have followed my medical posts on Clowney would know, sports hernias in most cases have been found to be associated with hip problems (especially femoral acetabular impingment). Most of the time, if the hip problem is not addressed, it lends itself to continued faulty core and hip mechanics which in turn encourage compromised performance and/or significantly increase the subsequent risk for future lower limb injuries (not to mention recurrent sports hernia problems). And let's not forget the chronic bone spur problems which encourages hip mechanical problems to begin with.

(You can also see from the skeleton diagram above how faulty alignment starting with the hips extending down to the knees and ankles can create an ongoing mechanical joint stress nightmare.)

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
You are right. It was Casserly/Reeves.

Doesn't change the fact that there were a lot of signs and similarities to Mario Williams type of traits when we desperately needed a QB. I don't ever see Clowney being the guy this once in a generation type of guy. Not consistently any way. If he couldn't do it in college, I never understood why anyone thought he would be that guy in the NFL and that is aside from the injuries.
I don't doubt the ability, that is the one area I don't doubt.. not when he's playing next to someone like Watt and from all the reports coming out, he was a hard worker.

My doubts are strictly tied to if this kid is going to be available on Sundays consistently or not. We'll probably put him on IR with the ability to return and sign another guy to fill his spot in the mean time, but what scares me the most is how he's racking up these injuries with minimal to no contact at all. It's like his body is just failing him while making routine movements out on the field. He's starting to remind me of this guy..

Best case scenario.. there's still a **** load of red flags regarding whether or not he's ever going to be able to stay healthy.

Worst case... I don't even want to go there right now.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
If it is an isolated lateral meniscus tear, I would expect the spectrum closer to 6-8 weeks for full recovery from this surgery. The problem is that a lateral meniscus can be associated with MCL and/or ACL injuries. Neither of these injuries would surprise me as a finding at surgery.......especially an MCL. If this would be the case, recovery could be expected to be significantly longer.

From the picture below, imagine the lateral meniscus being crushed (coming down wobbly and hard from his jump). Such a crush would bend the knee joint to that side (creating a closed angle). The resulting bend on that side would cause the other side of the joint (the MCL side) to be forced into an open angle.....stretching/tearing the MCL which is there as a check ligament to prevent this type of movement.

This is actually a diagram of a congenital condition mimicking essentially the same type relationship of the knee position I am speaking of above.

Lateral meniscus tears can be caused by disruption of hip mechanics, especially if chronic. As any of you that have followed my medical posts on Clowney would know, sports hernias in most cases have been found to be associated with hip problems (especially femoral acetabular impingment). Most of the time, if the hip problem is not addressed, it lends itself to continued faulty core and hip mechanics which in turn encourage compromised performance and/or significantly increase the subsequent risk for future lower limb injuries (not to mention recurrent sports hernia problems). And let's not forget the chronic bone spur problems which encourages hip mechanical problems to begin with.

(You can also see from the skeleton diagram above how faulty alignment starting with the hips extending down to the knees and ankles can create an ongoing mechanical joint stress nightmare.)
Would you fix everything now and keep him out longer this season, or patch him, rush him back out there and fix him in the off-season?

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Just heard NFLN report he's out 4-6 weeks with a torn meniscus. CND was on it.

Throw him into the shop. We're not winning any trophies this year anyway.

Damn. :headhurts:

H

humblegeo

Very dissapointing. Hard to evaluate our #1 draft pick when he gets hurt after just a handful of plays. Looking like a huge mistake right now!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Would you fix everything now and keep him out longer this season, or patch him, rush him back out there and fix him in the off-season?
I feel that the very least that should be addressed are the component(s) of the this acute injury and his bone spurs. Ideally, any hip malady would also be addressed, but this would be about a 6 month recovery.....and many surgeons would try to avoid combining major hip surgery with major knee surgery (we don't yet really know the extent of the knee injury). If this latter hip element is indeed a problem, and the team/Clowney makes the choice to try to return and make it through the remaining season until the offseason, it will continue to be a risk for further injuries in the interim.

Let's first see what they tell us about this most recent injury beyond "He will require no autopsy............yet"

badboy

Hall of Fame
I feel that the very least that should be addressed are the component(s) of the this acute injury and his bone spurs. Ideally, any hip malady would also be addressed, but this would be about a 6 month recovery.....and many surgeons would try to avoid combining major hip surgery with major knee surgery (we don't yet really know the extent of the knee injury). If this latter hip element is indeed a problem, and the team/Clowney makes the choice to try to return and make it through the remaining season until the offseason, it will continue to be a risk for further injuries in the interim.

Let's first see what they tell us about this most recent injury beyond "He will require no autopsy............yet"
Doc is there a hip issue or are you saying there could be or could develop if knee not corrected?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
what can anyone do about it now? good thing Texans kept both Brooks & Mercilus. Have not had chance to watch game yet just catching up with College but this is most upsetting for sure with JD on the field he just added so much hope & suspense now we'll just have to wait & hope he recovers 100%.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

I would fix everything now if JDC has femoral acetabular impingement. They can fix that arthroscopically these days. I know a great ortho surgeon in SA that specializes in it. I was a week on crutches after the surgery. I had shoulder reconstruction 1 month later, so I can't really say how long it would be before fully active. Same doctor did both surgeries.

Femoral acetabular impingement is extremely painful when it flares up. Maybe Clowney is young enough that he hasn't really noticed it. I guess I was in my mid-late 20's when I first noticed it. Back then, open surgery was the only answer. In that case, the cure was as bad or worse than the ailment.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'd fix it all.
I'd trade short-term inconvenience for long-term better health/performance.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Willie Mays went 1 for 26 when he first came up , we'd have cut him . :pinned:
Yeah, but if Willie Mays had similar struggles with injuries he wouldn't of been able to experience that 1 for 26 either..

At this point I wouldn't mind watching Clowney do his equivalent of "1 for 26" (I don't think he would, I think he'd cause mayhem in this league if he could just stay healthy) as long as he's on the field to go 1 for 26, I wouldn't care.. it would still be improvement.

Fair or not, this guy now has a giant question mark looming over his head regarding his health.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
Yeah, but if Willie Mays had similar struggles with injuries he wouldn't of been able to experience that 1 for 26 either..

At this point I wouldn't mind watching Clowney do his equivalent of "1 for 26" (I don't think he would, I think he'd cause mayhem in this league if he could just stay healthy) as long as he's on the field to go 1 for 26, I wouldn't care.. it would still be improvement.

Fair or not, this guy now has a giant question mark looming over his head regarding his health.
While that is true , he's been picked . The big question is when will they find out if Mallett is worth an extension ?

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Well sh!t . . No wonder he's injury prone. Christ Almighty! :smiliepalm:

The #1 pick in the f'king draft.....:gun:
Why the hard on for JD, you seem bent on trashing him at every turn ?
We've been down this road before, many times. He was the consensus if not unanimous #1 pick in this years Draft, plus we had a huge need to find an edge pass rusher to compliment JJ who's an inside guy. Now had there been a QB who really appealed to O'Brien & Smith, but clearly there wasn't. And some wonder now about not taking Bortles ? Hey he looked good in a couple preseason games, big deal.
Clowney flashed out there a couple times, but he also looked lost. No wonder, he was playing his first regular season game and it was at LB, a strange position to him, and the speed is at a different level than the exhibition games.
No way this guy is Jamarcus Russell, not anything like him, but Sam Bradford ? I dunno, but this is certainly not an auspicious start for JD, between the preseason injuries and now this.

Even with the history of injuries I still think the pick was the right one if the staff didn't like any of the QB choices, but the injury and what it means for his future is still depressing.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Tough luck for Jadaveous.

I hope he gets better soon, this defense has a chance to be great!

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Imo, do the surgery to repair whatever is needing repaired. We should know how this season's going by the time he's able to return. If we're out of the playoff hunt, which is likely, shut him down. Dude needs to work hard on his lower body anyway.

We'll probably put him on the IR with the possibility to return.

Wait....wait...wait...

Let me understand this, the Texans #1 overall pick, who wears #90, gets hurt in his rookie season and is possibly out 4-6 weeks if not the year?

Did I just time warp to 2006? Is this really happening again?

:headhurts:

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
Wait....wait...wait...

Let me understand this, the Texans #1 overall pick, who wears #90, gets hurt in his rookie season and is possibly out 4-6 weeks if not the year?

Did I just time warp to 2006? Is this really happening again?

:headhurts:
I will fight the urge to use the "B" word.

mridge01

Rookie
So this thread will probably get closed, but I was curious what are some things you guys feel are more durable than Jadaveon Clowney? Here's what I've come up with:

1) Cats :kitten:
2) Paper
3) Babies:baby:
4) Any Kardashian marriage

Thoughts?

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
When did Mario Williams ever miss 4-6 weeks. People keep comparing the two, but I don't remember Mario missing a ton of playing time.
Mario's 1st 4 seasons he played all 16 games each year. But he was frequently dinged. 2010 he missed 3 games. 2011 he missed 11 games.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Mario Williams? No.

Bennie Joppru would be a much better comparison. Unfortunately! :(

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer · 42s
Texans S DJ Swearinger told me Jadeveon Clowney said in the immediate aftermath he stepped on one of "the holes" in the NRG Stadium field.
Please McNair switch to the field turf field.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet or not, but during the game, the sideline reporter stated that the Texans said it was a cramp. Now we learn it's a meniscus tear. Why lie? Isn't it just as easy to say nothing? Just say he's being evaluated, now go away. Instead, they make up some BS story that they know is going to be exposed in short order.

I just don't get people. Jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.