Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JaDeveon Clowney

Status
Not open for further replies.
From PFT.com

Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk is recovering from surgery.

Hawk had bone spurs removed from his ankle after the Packers’ NFC Championship Game loss to the Seahawks, Rob Demovsky of ESPN reports. Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery.

Really wish we'd see a report like that for Clowney.

From PFT.com

Really wish we'd see a report like that for Clowney.

You know it doesn't make sense - to me - that Clowney doesn't get those bone spurs taken care of now. He has to be off his feet anyway; why not let all that stuff heal over the same time period??
:toropalm:

This actually is not a new technique. It's been around for a very long time...............just not in the US.

I looked in my library for something to post, but most of the articles are too technical. I do have one article from the United Kingdom that is excellent in a still very detailed explanation approach, but very understandable.:

Occlusion Training

You know it doesn't make sense - to me - that Clowney doesn't get those bone spurs taken care of now. He has to be off his feet anyway; why not let all that stuff heal over the same time period??

Here is how I reconstruct the probably misguided events surrounding bone spurs.

When Clowney was drafted:
The Texans didn't want to jeopardize any of his early preparation.........minicamps.....OTAs.......

Once he had his sports hernia:
The Texans didn't want to jeopardize TC by adding another surgery and its risks............introduce additional mechanical instability (acute 2 joint involvement [3 if you want to include already present probable hip joint problems......present in most patients having experienced a sport hernia]) to the rehab

Once he had his meniscus surgery:
The Texans didn't want to jeopardize more of the season by adding another surgery (besides the fact that the choice was made to remove rather than repair the meniscus, which would have shut him down for the season) and its risks............introduce additional mechanical instability (acute 2 joint involvement [3 if you want to include already present probable hip joint problems......present in most patients having experienced a sport hernia] to the rehab

Once he had the microfracture/matrix surgery:
The last thing they wanted to do was introduce ANY additional mechanical instability (acute 2 joint involvement [3 if you want to include already present probable hip joint problems......present in most patients having experienced a sport hernia]) to a rehab which is especially onerous even without ANY confounding factors

Here is how I reconstruct the probably misguided events surrounding bone spurs.

When Clowney was drafted:
The Texans didn't want to jeopardize any of his early preparation.........minicamps.....OTAs.......

Once he had his sports hernia:
The Texans didn't want to jeopardize TC by adding another surgery and its risks............introduce additional mechanical instability (acute 2 joint involvement [3 if you want to include already present probable hip joint problems......present in most patients having experienced a sport hernia]) to the rehab

Once he had his meniscus surgery:
The Texans didn't want to jeopardize more of the season by adding another surgery (besides the fact that the choice was made to remove rather than repair the meniscus, which would have shut him down for the season) and its risks............introduce additional mechanical instability (acute 2 joint involvement [3 if you want to include already present probable hip joint problems......present in most patients having experienced a sport hernia] to the rehab

Once he had the microfracture/matrix surgery:
The last thing they wanted to do was introduce ANY additional mechanical instability (acute 2 joint involvement [3 if you want to include already present probable hip joint problems......present in most patients having experienced a sport hernia]) to a rehab which is especially onerous even without ANY confounding factors

And before all of the above, knowing what we know now, Dr CND's pre-draft concerns about Clowney's pre-existing arthritis were well-founded...

As the path of injuries/decisions/procedures clearly indicate significant arthritic condition(s).

It is ludicrous to take any comments about prognosis from OB or RS at such an early date. He may be walking now and theoretically never progress much beyond. His prognosis for seeing the regular season field again must be guarded,..........performing well (likely not as well as originally projected), even more guarded..........going on to a long term significantly productive career, even less likely.

Keep in mind...........this is a WEAR-DOWN INJURY/REPAIR. A player, after fully rehabbed, may make it back for a year of production...............but thereafter typically things go down hill as the microfracture/matrix generated cartilage wears/shaves down the more the knee is used/stressed.

Finally, both the addition of the matrix to the microfracture and/or the loss of meniscus actually can result in a more limited regaining of range of motion and extend the time of rehab

It is ludicrous to take any comments about prognosis from OB or RS at such an early date. He may be walking now and theoretically never progress much beyond. His prognosis for seeing the regular season field again must be guarded,..........performing well (likely not as well as originally projected), even more guarded..........going on to a long term significantly productive career, even less likely.

Keep in mind...........this is a WEAR-DOWN INJURY/REPAIR. A player, after fully rehabbed, may make it back for a year of production...............but thereafter typically things go down hill as the microfracture/matrix generated cartilage wears/shaves down the more the knee is used/stressed.
If you were in charge of his rehab, how would you approach it?

There have been no reports that we've been able to discover that those have been addressed. The fallout has happened, so it's pretty much a non-issue now.

Dr CND is the one who discovered that and understood its importance.
If "he had them and no report they were addressed"...how is it a non-issue?

220px-OldYeller.jpg

if he misses almost 2 years I don't think that's u pick u make #1 overall I think we can officially say that

I would not be guided by time. I would be guided only by his landmark points of progress, closely adhering to one landmark prior to going to the next...........nonweight-bearing>>>>>>>>crutches partial weight-bearing>>>>>>>>bicycling/swimming>>>>>>>>walking with normal gaite>>>>>>>>>>returning to close to contralateral leg strength>>>>>>>running>>>>>>>>>>cutting>>>>>>>>return to noncontact practice>>>>>>>>>return to contact practice>>>>>>>>>return to real game play. This is not the type of injury that steps should be hurried through or skipped. Once he has met these physical landmarks, thinking that giving him significantly greater time to "heal more thoroughly" is unfounded.

I would not be guided by time. I would be guided only by his landmark points of progress, closely adhering to one landmark prior to going to the next...........nonweight-bearing>>>>>>>>crutches partial weight-bearing>>>>>>>>bicycling/swimming>>>>>>>>walking with normal gaite>>>>>>>>>>returning to close to contralateral leg strength>>>>>>>running>>>>>>>>>>cutting>>>>>>>>return to noncontact practice>>>>>>>>>return to contact practice>>>>>>>>>return to real game play. This is not the type of injury that steps should be hurried through or skipped. Once he has met these physical landmarks, thinking that giving him significantly greater time to "heal more thoroughly" is unfounded.
once he is considered "recovered" we can then IR him for the bone spurs...

This actually is not a new technique. It's been around for a very long time...............just not in the US.

I looked in my library for something to post, but most of the articles are too technical. I do have one article from the United Kingdom that is excellent in a still very detailed explanation approach, but very understandable.:

Occlusion Training

Here's another for those that might be interested:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/blood_flow_restriction_training

if he misses almost 2 years I don't think that's u pick u make #1 overall I think we can officially say that

You have truly thrilled all of us with your acumen Norg. I dunno, but I wonder, is it difficult being a genius ?

You're just trying to find problems now. 2015 starts with FOOTBALL and either Camp or the Season, depending on your point of view. Tying it to the calendar year is crazy.

My suspicion is that Clowney will be watching from the sidelines in Camp and possibly into the start of the season. As I've said before, even after he is cleared to play, it will be a while before he has the confidence to be an impact player. I'm writing this season off and if we get anything out of him this season, it's just icing on the cake.

[these 2 posts taken from the Jamies Winston Qb Florida State thread]

You're right; I could have phrased that question better. I was just wondering aloud if Clowney's knees were more susceptible than the std population to damage and if there was some sort of medical screening (MRI??) that could have been done to show that. Obviously he got hurt during the season so no one could have seen that coming. But if you look at how it happened, it didn't look to be that significant of an impact... at least compared to how Cushing got rolled up on or how Schaub got stepped on.
What do I know, I'm just a fan.

Well two things - one, bone spurs are secondary to some other mechanical problem and two, Doc has consistently taught that once you have one injury you are frequently going to have susceptibility to secondary compensation injuries. There was some particular kind of MRI iirc or scan Doc would have liked to see the report on but we'd be foolish to think we hear about every test they perform so really don't know if it was ever done. At the end of the day, Doc was still in favor of taking him IF he would immediately get the bone spurs taken care of. Instead as Doc laid out in the Clowney thread he went through a series of groin, knee injuries/surgeries and to our knowledge still hasn't had the bone spurs corrected.

I came down on the other side and thought the risk was too great, but I've seen nothing to say the Texans failed to do anything in making their evaluation. But everyone knew there were risks.

Good concise review of my thought process in Clowney's situation. One thing I want to emphasize as it now again becomes pertinent in his microfracture "recovery." Steadman, the originator of the procedure has repeatedly written and lectured re. the significance of a patient's natural joint alignment and mechanics in addition to disciplined rehabilitation in recovery from the procedure. In other words, if there are sources of problems with these factors, distribution of forces and stresses to the involved joint and specifically to the microfracture-treated segment(s), there will be greatly accelerated shearing and wearing down of the newly-created "cartilage"...........circumstances inconsistent with the expectation of success.

Occlusion Training

Wolf,

Here are some posts re. this subject in the Clowney thread.

Jean

Is this a procedure which, in layman's terms, helps prevent the muscle atrophy associated with not being able to use a muscle for an extended period of time?

I'm trying to read through the material and understand exactly what is being treated with it's use on different types of injuries. This seems to be the common element.

Am I actually using a form of this type of training when I walk while wearing (20-30 lb.) compression socks?

Is this a procedure which, in layman's terms, helps prevent the muscle atrophy associated with not being able to use a muscle for an extended period of time?

If limited excercise is still allowed. If no exercise is allowed, electromuscular stimulation may help in trying to counter disuse atrophy to a limited extent.

I'm trying to read through the material and understand exactly what is being treated with it's use on different types of injuries. This seems to be the common element.

What's being treated in most injury rehabs is the atrophy (with its accompanying loss of strength and muscle mass) that has been caused by the injury(ies), in a patient that still has the ability to exercise their muscles, but are limited as to what load (stress) can be applied to involved muscles and/or joints.

Am I actually using a form of this type of training when I walk while wearing (20-30 lb.) compression socks?

No, the compression socks are actually improving the venous outflow........exactly the opposite of the principle (venous occlusion) involved in BFR.

Hope this helps.

Hey doc :)

As we both remember back to when I blew up my right foot, I distinctly remember how shocked I was on the amount of atrophy that set set in, even after I was allowed to move around with a walking cast.

So, with Clowney, even a walking cast is out of the question, is that correct? And for how long? So basically, until he's allowed to put weight on it, his entire leg will be "dead" from his hip to his toes. Is that an exaggeration?

If it's not, then to me, the very idea that he will back in 2015 is just laughable.

As we both remember back to when I blew up my right foot, I distinctly remember how shocked I was on the amount of atrophy that set set in, even after I was allowed to move around with a walking cast.

So, with Clowney, even a walking cast is out of the question, is that correct? And for how long? So basically, until he's allowed to put weight on it, his entire leg will be "dead" from his hip to his toes. Is that an exaggeration?

If it's not, then to me, the very idea that he will back in 2015 is just laughable.

Doc has provided timelines multiple times. Clowney should be at or nearing the end of his non-weight bearing time period. He hasn't ruled out playing in 2015 although I think everyone recognizes the uncertainty and even if he does play that he likely won't be at 100% of whatever he gets back to.

And no offense but the recovery of a person in their 50s and a 22 year old professional athlete aren't real comparable.

Doc has provided timelines multiple times. Clowney should be at or nearing the end of his non-weight bearing time period. He hasn't ruled out playing in 2015 although I think everyone recognizes the uncertainty and even if he does play that he likely won't be at 100% of whatever he gets back to.

And no offense but the recovery of a person in their 50s and a 22 year old professional athlete aren't real comparable.

Truth

You're just trying to find problems now. 2015 starts with FOOTBALL and either Camp or the Season, depending on your point of view. Tying it to the calendar year is crazy.

My suspicion is that Clowney will be watching from the sidelines in Camp and possibly into the start of the season. As I've said before, even after he is cleared to play, it will be a while before he has the confidence to be an impact player. I'm writing this season off and if we get anything out of him this season, it's just icing on the cake.

Not trying to find problems,

Just didn't understand what you were saying

Thanks for clarifying

I'm still an advocate of Clowney's, but I'm realistic enough to know there's a chance he won't play much this season. I'd be ok with it if it meant he'd eventually come back and be a good to great addition to the defense.

I'd expect PUP at the minimum. I expect the Texans will go into FA and the draft as if Clowney will not be participating this season.

Although it can be utilized for all limbs except for the involved limb, most surgeons would usually be hesitant to use the BFR technique until at least 12-18 weeks post microfracture. Before that time, healing can be effected by pooling of blood in the damaged area, not to mention the real concern of potentially promoting dangerous blood clot formation.

Here is an example of a judicious rehab protocol adhered to by the Orthopedics Department of Mass General Hospital.: http://www.massgeneral.org/ortho/services/sports/rehab/Microfracture%20rehabilitation%20%28knee%29%20protocol%20protocol.pdf

I'm still an advocate of Clowney's, but I'm realistic enough to know there's a chance he won't play much this season. I'd be ok with it if it meant he'd eventually come back and be a good to great addition to the defense.
Hindsight being what it is (20/20), of course if you could redo the 2014 Draft you'd take O'Dell Bekham or K. Mack, or someone like that instead of Clowney, someone else who was healthy and had a successful rookie year and a bright future in the NFL. But Clowney was still the right pick back in 2014 (without the benefit of 20/20), but chances are very, very limited he'll ever be close to the all-pro talent we hoped for and expected.

Well, the Texans screwed up again, didn't they? I could'a told them not to draft Mario Williams II. And now, because of it, the Texans will never amount to a damn thing. A small meteoroid will hit the Astrodome taking out both sports stadiums. The team will move to San Antonio and never come back, all because they drafted Mario Williams II.

It's tough being a football fan in Houston.

Well, the Texans screwed up again, didn't they? I could'a told them not to draft Mario Williams II. And now, because of it, the Texans will never amount to a damn thing. A small meteoroid will hit the Astrodome taking out both sports stadiums. The team will move to San Antonio and never come back, all because they drafted Mario Williams II.

It's tough being a football fan in Houston.

You have friends among the extra-terrestrial population. Call in a favor. Tell them to wipe out the Astrodome with a surgical laser strike but leave Reliant intact.

Oh, and if it's not too much of a bother, they can deflect the meteroid to Indy and take out Lucas Oil Field. That way the Colts have to move to San Antonio (or L.A.) and Colts fans will be forced to root for a Texas team or Cleveland.
....but wait until the combine is over.
4chsmu1.gif

You have friends among the extra-terrestrial population. Call in a favor. Tell them to wipe out the Astrodome with a surgical laser strike but leave Reliant intact.

Oh, and if it's not too much of a bother, they can deflect the meteroid to Indy and take out Lucas Oil Field. That way the Colts have to move to San Antonio (or L.A.) and Colts fans will be forced to root for a Texas team or Cleveland.
....but wait until the combine is over.
4chsmu1.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This please!

:bravo: MSR

Goddamn bunch of constipated old men not taking me seriously. I'm telling you, a meteorite is going to wipe out the Texans. And my space phone don't work so I can't call anybody.

Goddamn bunch of constipated old men not taking me seriously. I'm telling you, a meteorite is going to wipe out the Texans. And my space phone don't work so I can't call anybody.

Thorn I heard rumors you'd read a couple chapters from Al Gores "Global Warming for Dummies" but didn't realize you were also an xpert on xtra-terrestials ? Did those little green Marsians give you any good advice on the market beyond, "buy low and sell high" ?

So you're sayin' you'd let that meteorite kill J.J. Watt because you're to onery to charge up the batteries in your damned phone!?!
What kinda fan are you anyway?!?

Clowney entered the NFL draft process as one of the most highly touted prospects in years thanks to his elite combination of size, speed and athleticism.

While Clowney's rookie season was almost entirely lost and doubt remains about his ability to become a contributing, let alone high-caliber player worthy of his first-overall pedigree, Campbell reports that sources he spoke with in the Texans organization believe that Clowney has been able to block out the negativity and focus his energy and efforts on his return to the field.

"Houston doesn't mind the hate and doubt that is constantly coming about Clowney. It has been a source of motivation for him, and they say that Clowney has been diligent in his rehab. While agents and other team officials might be whispering doubts, the Texans are confident that Clowney will come back and make an impact."
http://www.hngn.com/articles/72165/...nfl-player-concerns-over-future-unfounded.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back