Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is the OL fixed?

Is the OL fixed?

• Total voters

HaveMercy

Passing Through
Maybe not start immediately in the season opener in September, nevertheless a teams first round Draft pick should make a significant contribution his rookie year otherwise he's more of a project and that's not what most folks expect from a first rounder.
And that's all I'm saying. Howard and Scharping will be playing a lot sooner than many folks think, they'll get better with time, and the doomsday prophets will have to find something else to be negative about.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
And that's all I'm saying. Howard and Scharping will be playing a lot sooner than many folks think, they'll get better with time, and the doomsday prophets will have to find something else to be negative about.
I'm not even talking about Scharping who's of course a second rounder, only the third guy we drafted.
The most obvious comparison to Howard is Duane Brown who made a significant contribution his rookie year even though he may have not have started every game.
I can't recall a single Texans first round choice who didn't play a significant amount of time in his rookie season, can you ?

HaveMercy

Passing Through
I still believe it should be near impossible for Kalil to make the team. He's got to show All-Pro ability in TC, or a couple of guys get injured in training camp.

Better than Davenport can't be the bar. All-Pro ability or it's time to go forward with Howard/Sharping.
I think all Kalil has to do to stay on the roster is be fair to middling and show he can be a valuable contributor. Saying he has to show All Pro ability is quite a bit over the top.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
I'm not even talking about Scharping who's of course a second rounder, only the third guy we drafted.
The most obvious comparison to Howard is Duane Brown who made a significant contribution his rookie year even though he may have not have started every game.
I can't recall a single Texans first round choice who didn't play a significant amount of time in his rookie season, can you ?
If you're depending on me to remember those kinds of details, we're both in trouble.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Injuries may force rookies to start before their ready, much like Davenport, so be prepared for what your asking.

I realize what most here wanted that was instant upgrade @ LT in Dillard or more pro ready corner to start day one DeAndre Baker, but that’s not what we got.

They believe in Davenport, otherwise even at great cost they would have moved higher, yet realized they had to address RT (reason I had mocked McGary) but went with Howard because his ceiling is higher @ LT. They also drafted another tackle, Scharping who can be your emergency swing and compete @ starting guard. Then there is Lonnie, no corner in this draft had more pro upside, we shall see how he evolves in process, that’s a boom or bust pick for sure but I’m sure Gaine and Co. did due diligence so he will turn out to challenge Rock Ya-Sin as best corner prospect in 2019 draft.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I still believe it should be near impossible for Kalil to make the team. He's got to show All-Pro ability in TC, or a couple of guys get injured in training camp.

Better than Davenport can't be the bar. All-Pro ability or it's time to go forward with Howard/Sharping.
A very appropriate post. Too often, fans are quick to assign the "Peter Principle" to the coaches, but extremely slow to acknowledge it in players.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Injuries may force rookies to start before their ready, much like Davenport, so be prepared for what your asking.

I realize what most here wanted that was instant upgrade @ LT in Dillard or more pro ready corner to start day one DeAndre Baker, but that’s not what we got.

They believe in Davenport, otherwise even at great cost they would have moved higher, yet realized they had to address RT (reason I had mocked McGary) but went with Howard because his ceiling is higher @ LT. They also drafted another tackle, Scharping who can be your emergency swing and compete @ starting guard. Then there is Lonnie, no corner in this draft had more pro upside, we shall see how he evolves in process, that’s a boom or bust pick for sure but I’m sure Gaine and Co. did due diligence so he will turn out to challenge Rock Ya-Sin as best corner prospect in 2019 draft.
Agreed,

You like Sin more than Johnson?

Johnson was better than Sin at the Sr Bowl. IMHO

Sin lacks short area quickness and is a zone CB. Johnson can do a little bit of both man/zone. BTW, I'm terrible at judging CB play.

zshawn10

All Pro
Wade Smith on Tytus Howard/Max Scharping (excerpts from Friday on 610AM)

They both have all the physical tools, and first of and foremost you have to have that to be able to play and make it in this league… I am way higher on Tytus Howard now than I am Max Sharping because when I look at them on tape Max Sharping he moves well, like at the combine he looked like he moved really well, but on film when he’s pass-setting his feet are all over the place. He finds himself out of position, out of balance… so he’s going to have to get that corrected. But when I watched his combine workout his feet looked pretty good, so he might have gotten with some OL [coach] to get himself prepared for the pre-draft/NFL. So you see some improvement there, but when the live bullets are [flying on film] his feet are all over the place and that’s not gonna fly at this level. When you watch Max Sharping his feet and his hands are not coordinated together [properly yet], but when I watched him at the combine his feet looked a lot better so you hope that you can extrapolate that out to where he will figure it out. If he plays this year, I’ll be surprised. But he has all the physical tools that a year or two down the road he will be ready to go.

Tytus Howard I’m a lot higher on. I think that Titus Howard is going to be ready to go sooner than later. I said it here last week, hopefully he’s ready by the BYE week. Hearing his interviews, seeing how he approaches the game, watching him on tape… he’s going to be ready to play this year and I think he’s going to be a really good player.

If you hit on just one out of the two [OTs] I think you’re doing good because basically you just told Deshaun Watson, you just told the offense that we’re trying to look out for you. You’ve got a bunch of guys on the interior that [among that group] you’re going to have three guys that are going to be solid on the interior. And so you’re just trying to fix the tackles… I am more confident in our offensive line today than I was two weeks ago.

I’m still a little concerned that they don’t have that guy [veteran offensive tackle] that’s in the room that is actually out there doing it and then also willing to and wanting to coach them up and bring them after practice and pull [the young OTs] to the side [to teach them how to play OT]. It takes about two/three years to pick up and fully comprehend the offense… When I look at Bill O’Brien’s offense I see it as an offense that the line, the skill guys, and the QB all have to be on the same page presnap and during the snap… One thing you know with Bill O’Brien and his offense and his ability to adjust. He might not adjust in a time period quick enough that you might like, but eventually he will find something that is correctable and he will make adjustments to try to correct it. And so they have done some things behind the scenes that have made me a lot more bullish on the offense in general and what the OL is going to do as far as them being on the same page mentally and in communicating. I am excited about that.

[With O’Brien’s offense] it’s not just one set thing. With Kubiak’s offense we just said we are going to line up and we are going to run the ball to the left… If the defense lines up and puts an extra guys in the box, who cares? We’re just going to run our play. And then we are going to run play actions off of that one play. Bill O’Brien’s offense is more like, we’re going to line up and there’s like 5 or 6 different things that we could possibly do on this play depending on how the defense lines up, without changing the play call… The QB is gonna come to the line, he’s going to see something, he’s gonna make some calls… and you have to adjust to the adjustments.

Part of being versatile is being super smart, you have to be football smart and you have to be intelligent to play multiple positions… So if you are versatile you are also showing you are smart… and you have to be smart to play in this type of offense. That is part of the reason why they laud versatility, because the prerequisite to being a versatile player is you have to be football smart and intelligent.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
"Bill O’Brien’s offense is more like, we’re going to line up and there’s like 5 or 6 different things that we could possibly do on this play depending on how the defense lines up, without changing the play call…"

Up to this point it seems there's 5 or 6 things that can, and often do, go wrong. :)

:coffee:

Reactions: Max

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
"Bill O’Brien’s offense is more like, we’re going to line up and there’s like 5 or 6 different things that we could possibly do on this play depending on how the defense lines up, without changing the play call…"

Up to this point it seems there's 5 or 6 things that can, and often do, go wrong. :)

All 11 players seeing the same thing and making proper adjustments is a large part of that

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Agreed,

Sin lacks short area quickness and is a zone CB. Johnson can do a little bit of both man/zone. BTW, I'm terrible at judging CB play.
Ya-Sin was top CB on my board due to his superior physical attributes and measurables, dude is gonna be a beast. Murphy was favorite press corner, and despite Bakers lack of top end speed most versatile. We’ll get plenty of time to judge this CB class, Colts traded down and selected Sin top of 2nd. Interestingly all three of these corners went within a 5 team radius end of first, early second.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Setting the bar high are you?
The bar I've set is both rookie OT's are starting by the bye.

Hopefully before, but reading WS you would think Scharping gave up a bunch of sacks and that wasn't the case. I fully expect Scharping to be starting before Howard unless Henderson comes back healthy and plays up to his potential. It's great that there's options at the OT positions.

Max

Veteran

That clip left me more down on BOB than ever. Your quote caught my attention. And he also mentioned that the guys he's talked to that are currently playing on the line have told him that it takes 2 1/2 to 3 years to understand the offense. I immediately thought of Rankin looking lost last year so many times. They also played a clip from BOB saying that they're going to start teaching Howard the guard position as well as tackle (just in case things weren't already too complicated I guess). Things shouldn't be this complicated.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
That clip left me more down on BOB than ever. Your quote caught my attention. And he also mentioned that the guys he's talked to that are currently playing on the line have told him that it takes 2 1/2 to 3 years to understand the offense. I immediately thought of Rankin looking lost last year so many times. They also played a clip from BOB saying that they're going to start teaching Howard the guard position as well as tackle (just in case things weren't already too complicated I guess). Things shouldn't be this complicated.
Like we need another guard. :corrosion:

Reactions: Max

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
You would think Scharping gave up a bunch of sacks reading this.

He gave up one in three years. I will bet you that he's better than Lamm/Davenport next year.
I heard Seth Payne saying similar things about Scharping. Either they are right or we need to hire the play caller at Northern Illinois that has somehow cracked the code on pass protection where a "project" like Scharping only allows 1 sack in 3 years!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I heard Seth Payne saying similar things about Scharping. Either they are right or we need to hire the play caller at Northern Illinois that has somehow cracked the code on pass protection where a "project" like Scharping only allows 1 sack in 3 years!
Yep

The Northern Illinois OL was actually very good last yr.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Agreed,

Fit matters. Sin is a press corner who was drafted by a Cover 2 press team. Johnson is a press corner who was drafted by an off-man/zone team.

Sin's analytics are great too. Against much lower competition, but Johnson gave up a yard more per target than the other 2nd round CB's.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The bar I've set is both rookie OT's are starting by the bye.

Hopefully before, but reading WS you would think Scharping gave up a bunch of sacks and that wasn't the case. I fully expect Scharping to be starting before Howard unless Henderson comes back healthy and plays up to his potential. It's great that there's options at the OT positions.
Sorry, I forgot the sarcism emoji... I didn't read WS that way at all. Just he is higher on Howard than Sharping. You disagree even though you admit you have watched no film of Howard. I expect both to be an improvement over what we saw last year, especially the Lamm we saw the last 4

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Fit matters. Sin is a press corner who was drafted by a Cover 2 press team. Johnson is a press corner who was drafted by an off-man/zone team.

Sin's analytics are great too. Against much lower competition, but Johnson gave up a yard more per target than the other 2nd round CB's.
Hope Seth analysis is right.

I see things the way you do and as a fan can only hope Gaine is right.

Johnson was impressive at the Sr Bowl.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Im wondering if we’ve played so much off man out of necessity due to our poor S over the past few years. It seems, with the emergence of Reid, that we might see more our CBs in more press coverage. It’s my understanding that both Roby and Colvin are better in that style of play as is Johnson.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Im wondering if we’ve played so much off man out of necessity due to our poor S over the past few years. It seems, with the emergence of Reid, that we might see more our CBs in more press coverage. It’s my understanding that both Roby and Colvin are better in that style of play as is Johnson.
With the exception of an occasional isolated good safety play, our CBs might as well have been playing with no safeties over the top. Once past out CBs, receivers were smacking their lips.