Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is the offensive line fixed?

Is the OL fixed?

• It will be a strong point on the team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This OL will take us to the Super Bowl.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Gaine is O'Briens puppet. I see no other way to explain going into the season at LT with 2 injured guys who have never been good and 2 rookie projects.

What?

Davenport is healthy, our current starting LT, he's not elite. He's still developing. He may not have the athleticism to be an elite LT, but he should be adequate for a decent OC, and a decent QB. Thank God our QB is better than decent.

Matt Kalil is a gamble. If he truly is healthy he could be a force at LT.

Howard is a prospect who should be able to start day 1 at RT. He might be able to start at LT. He should develop into a franchise LT.

Sentrel Henderson was signed to play RT this year before they new they would draft two OTs who could play RT. This is another reason they need to "cross train" to find the best five.

What?

Davenport is healthy, our current starting LT, he's not elite. He's still developing. He may not have the athleticism to be an elite LT, but he should be adequate for a decent OC, and a decent QB. Thank God our QB is better than decent.

Howard is a prospect who should be able to start day 1 at RT. He might be able to start at LT. He should develop into a franchise LT.

Sentrel Henderson was signed to play RT this year before they new they would draft two OTs who could play RT. This is another reason they need to "cross train" to find the best five.

That's a well-reasoned, calmly stated, well-presented analysis & prognosis.
I like it. More, please.
Applause.

Last edited:
What?

Agreed about everything but the Davenport thing

Meaning what exactly?

Pretty simple, there more in pass pro and Texans are in run mode. Meaning a lot of those sac
What?

Well I agree with everything you said :koolaid:

What?

I like Tytus but I don't think he's going to be ready day 1. He wasn't projected as an instant starter. He's a guy who can eventually be a very good starter for us. High ceiling. Likewise Scharpring can eventually be a starter but he'll need time.

On the vets, well Seantrel has never been good and last played major minutes in 2015. Kalil was last good when he has a rookie. He has sustained several injuries since and has never recovered to that level of play. In fact, is Kalil even healthy now? Didn't Carolina say they weren't expecting him healthy by training camp when they cut him?

Those are head scratching pickups to be. I don't think it's what Gaine would do with a different coach.

I'm still not sold on the "adequate"...and even less on the "decent OC", but it's what we have to work with nonetheless.

Looking at last year's stats can be truly depressing. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I'm still not sold on the "adequate"...and even less on the "decent OC", but it's what we have to work with nonetheless.

Looking at last year's stats can be truly depressing. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Looking at last year's stats can certainly be a downer. I'm reminded of the guy who told his doctor that it hurt when he laughed. The doctor said "Well, don't laugh."

Life is too short. Try not to look at last year's stats.

Except for the good ones.

This year's O-line will be...

RT - Henderson (until he gets hurt again) then it will be - Scharping
RG - Fulton
C - Martin
LG - Rankin
LT - Big Joke

Next year's O-line will be...

RT - Howard
RG - Scharping
C - Martin
LG - Fulton
LT - 2020 FA or 2020 Draft or Big Joke again?

That's fine. I disagree. I was questioning your two injured LTs.

For what specific reason do you believe Howard won't be ready to go for RT?

Well that seemed to be the consensus on his scouting reports. He can be a starter but not right away.

And yes Davenport should start at LT. But he was already signed. I was talking about which guys we signed/picked, and that's two injured guys who have rarely if ever been good (Seantrel has never been good, Kalil had only a good rookie year)

Well that seemed to be the consensus on his scouting reports. He can be a starter but not right away.

It was my understanding the scouting reports were saying he's LT material but not ready to start at LT.

It is also my understanding he's a plus athlete for the right side & it should not be a stretch to see him starting at RT.

& as much TE help BO'b incorporates into his "system" we may see Howard starting at LT anyway.

And yes Davenport should start at LT. But he was already signed. I was talking about which guys we signed/picked, and that's two injured guys who have rarely if ever been good (Seantrel has never been good, Kalil had only a good rookie year)

You're wasting time with Davenport.

Give Howard the experience he needs.

It was my understanding the scouting reports were saying he's LT material but not ready to start at LT.

It is also my understanding he's a plus athlete for the right side & it should not be a stretch to see him starting at RT.

& as much TE help BO'b incorporates into his "system" we may see Howard starting at LT anyway.

That would be great if he could start at RT. If he really is ready there he should start

I think the fortunes of this OL will mirror the Seahawks last season. First two games of the year Russell Wilson took a beating against Broncos/Bears taking 6 sacks each game but also attempting 33/36 passes respectively. Then the offense shifted gears and made a commitment to the run game to protect Wilson. Give him high percentage pass attempts and down/distance situations to work with. His next 5 games he did not take more than 2 sacks in a game but also did not have more than 26 pass attempts. The OL was never truly "fixed" but the commitment to the run game and scheming him high efficiency plays allowed him some measure of protection. Wilson went on to have one of the most efficient years in the league at QB with 35 TDs/7 INTs.

Getting a healthy Foreman to provide a 1-2 punch and allow the Texans to run the ball 30+ times a game and give DW4 easier down/distance situations to work with will ultimately be the ticket to fixing the Texans OL. If he's dropping back 30+ times a game he's getting sacked more than we'd like. But if his attempts stay under that range then more attempts are in a favorable situation to protect him.

Last edited:
I think the fortunes of this OL will mirror the Seahawks last season. First two games of the year Russell Wilson took a beating against Broncos/Bears taking 6 sacks each game but also attempting 33/36 passes respectively. Then the offense shifted gears and made a commitment to the run game to protect Wilson. Give him high percentage pass attempts and down/distance situations to work with. His next 5 games he did not take more than 2 sacks in a game but also did not have more than 26 pass attempts. The OL was never truly "fixed" but the commitment to the run game and scheming him high efficiency plays allowed him some measure of protection. Wilson went on to have one of the most efficient years in the league at QB with 35 TDs/7 INTs.

Getting a healthy Foreman to provide a 1-2 punch and allow the Texans to run the ball 35+ times a game and give DW4 easier down/distance situations to work with will ultimately be the ticket to fixing the Texans OL. If he's dropping back 30+ times a game he's getting sacked more than we'd like. But if his attempts stay under that range then more attempts are in a favorable situation to protect him.

I totally agree but you know this board, that is soooo OB. But we arent building an OL stacked with 6-7, 325# guys for a run and shoot offense. BG is a student of Texans history obviously. Texans O under the past regime never matched up well with the physical defenses so he’s made a commitment to get bigger and stronger. I still don’t know if we have the right RB’s yet but you can’t fix broke overnight.

Getting a healthy Foreman to provide a 1-2 punch and allow the Texans to run the ball 30+ times a game and give DW4 easier down/distance situations to work with will ultimately be the ticket to fixing the Texans OL. If he's dropping back 30+ times a game he's getting sacked more than we'd like. But if his attempts stay under that range then more attempts are in a favorable situation to protect him.

We tried this last year as well and somehow some way we still have up 62 sacks. I'm order for us to mirror or emulate the Seahawks tactics.

1. Watson has to stop holding onto to the ball. After his interview, I highly doubt that because he stated that's what the coaching staff wants him to do. And that's how he make big plays etc.

2. The OC has to stop drawing up plays with 2 wide receivers sets.

3. Stop being so predictable

And to the comment you cant fix broke overnight when it comes to Miller. During that nine game winning streak Miller was running the ball really good before the injury and injuries to the offensive line. Had like 6 games in a row with 100+ yards.

Last edited:
Looking at last year's stats can certainly be a downer. I'm reminded of the guy who told his doctor that it hurt when he laughed. The doctor said "Well, don't laugh."

Life is too short. Try not to look at last year's stats.

Except for the good ones.

I suppose if you're looking for a terrible way to evaluate a situation, then ya, I agree completely..

We tried this last year as well and somehow some way we still have up 62 sacks. I'm order for us to mirror or emulate the Seahawks tactics.

1. Watson has to stop holding onto to the ball. After his interview, I highly doubt that because he stated that's what the coaching staff wants him to do. And that's how he make big plays etc.

And to the comment you cant fix broke overnight when it comes to Miller. During that nine game winning streak Miller was running the ball really good before the injury and injuries to the offensive line. Had like 6 games in a row with 100+ yards.

I must have missed that one... got a link?

I posted this on the OTA thread. But here you go good bud. He talks about it at the 2.38 mark.

https://www.houstontexans.com/video/deshaun-watson-on-building-chemistry-in-otas

Deshaun Watson on building chemistry in OTAs
QB Deshaun Watson spoke to the media following practice on Tuesday.

He never stated the coaching staff wants him to hold the ball. He did say that if he can hold it and avoid the sack to make a nice play, no one will say he hed the ball too long

We talk about how long it will take for the rookies to develop, but how much of that is on the OL coach? Other teams' 1st year linemen seem able to start after their training camp is over. IIRC, we were down on Duane Brown for 2 or 3 years until he learned for himself in the School of Hard Knocks.

We talk about our bad OL last year, and indeed they were bad, but how many of those sacks were on Watson for taking too long to make a decision?

And Wilson took 51 sacks despite throwing the ball 427 times to DW4's 505. I think it's reasonable to expect Watson's sack total to come down assuming his attempts are down in Wilson's range and the offseason additions/Foreman a year removed from the achilles tear gives the team an improved run game.

Texans O under the past regime never matched up well with the physical defenses so he’s made a commitment to get bigger and stronger.

When you say "past regime" do you mean the Kubiak regime that owned the LOS, or the Ricky/Bobby show.

I remember that first draft XSF, Cj Fiedorowicz, Nix, we said the same thing. "BO'b is making the Texans bigger, longer, stronger." We put the same blurbs on that "regime"...

What's old is new again.

When you say "past regime" do you mean the Kubiak regime that owned the LOS, or the Ricky/Bobby show.

I remember that first draft XSF, Cj Fiedorowicz, Nix, we said the same thing. "BO'b is making the Texans bigger, longer, stronger." We put the same blurbs on that "regime"...

What's old is new again.

And remember the speed draft? Didn't end well

And Wilson took 51 sacks despite throwing the ball 427 times to DW4's 505. I think it's reasonable to expect Watson's sack total to come down assuming his attempts are down in Wilson's range and the offseason additions/Foreman a year removed from the achilles tear gives the team an improved run game.

I bet Seattle would like Russell Wilson's sack total comes down.

I don't know what we should expect from a good offensive line. Russell Wilson & Deshaun Watson are the types of QBs who get sacked a lot.

We all hope so, but maybe......................

636bf9cdc23027ee6c31222f6b1a2f72--keep-dreaming-funny-things.jpg

What's old is new again.
Man, I remember how much I was looking forward to seeing Nix develop - thought he was a steal where we got him and what a bust he turned out to be!

What's old is new again.
remind me how many of those guys are still here?
maybe bigger/longer/stronger 2.0 will work better....
you know, like those Microsoft upgrades always do :D

Speaking of stronger, we've seen reports that Martinas Rankin reshaped his body this off-season by working out, weight room training, and I imagine through a better diet. Has anybody seen him? If there have been any photos, I've missed them. I'd sure like to see a comparison of how he looked last year to how he does now.

Except he never lived up to his billing as a good blocking TE and ran mediocre routes

I never questioned Fido's effort and thought he was beginning to look like an okay tight end before the concussions took their toll.

I wonder how he's doing now. The long term effects of multiple concussions can be brutal.

The older I get, the more I worry about these guys.

Last edited:
I dcidn
I never questioned Fido's effort and thought he was beginning to look like an okay tight end before the concussions took their toll.

I wonder how he's doing now. The long term effects of multiple concussions can be brutal.

The older I get, the more I worry about these guys.

I didn't say anything about effort... don't worry about things you have no control over

I dcidn

I didn't say anything about effort... don't worry about things you have no control over

Sorry if I implied that anyone was denigrating Fido's effort, I was just adding my thoughts to yours. Maybe I should have said that I saw Fido as a try hard guy with a less than stellar skillset. That's probably still not right, but oh well.

Sorry if I implied that anyone was denigrating Fido's effort, I was just adding my thoughts to yours. Maybe I should have said that I saw Fido as a try hard guy with a less than stellar skillset. That's probably still not right, but oh well.

While it doesn't seem like you are the argumentative type, it does seem like you are much like my ex... always has to get the last word in. And that's ok I reckon. No offense intended

While it doesn't seem like you are the argumentative type, it does seem like you are much like my ex... always has to get the last word in. And that's ok I reckon. No offense intended

Hmmm. No offense taken.

I've always loved words. Numbers not so much. I actually made a living as a writer during my more productive years.

Maybe that's why my Driver's side airbag indicator substitutes the word Windbag.

Speaking of stronger, we've seen reports that Martinas Rankin reshaped his body this off-season by working out, weight room training, and I imagine through a better diet. Has anybody seen him? If there have been any photos, I've missed them. I'd sure like to see a comparison of how he looked last year to how he does now.
All our OL need to drastically elevate their games if they want to save their football careers or get that big check when contract time rolls around.

All our OL need to drastically elevate their games if they want to save their football careers or get that big check when contract time rolls around.

Among the OLinemen, Rankin was the only one I saw mentioned as having "reshaped his body" this off-season.

I don't know the significance of this, but JDavenport was conspicuous by NOT being mentioned as having a re-shaped body. Maybe I missed it or maybe he didn't need that as much as Rankin, but it would be nice to see him talked about in similar terms.

Among the OLinemen, Rankin was the only one I saw mentioned as having "reshaped his body" this off-season.

I don't know the significance of this, but JDavenport was conspicuous by NOT being mentioned as having a re-shaped body. Maybe I missed it or maybe he didn't need that as much as Rankin, but it would be nice to see him talked about in similar terms.

Can you post that article please.

And I'm pretty sure all of those linemen put in the work during the offseason

Did you follow the Texans last season. If you did you would've heard Obrien rave about how hard Davenport put in the work. So I'm sure he put in the extra miles again this offseason.

Did you follow the Texans last season. If you did you would've heard Obrien rave about how hard Davenport put in the work. So I'm sure he put in the extra miles again this offseason.

Davenport's hard work sure didn't show up on the field last year.

I remember seeing that article. It would have been on the Chronicle website or the Texans home page. But as I remember the article was only about Rankin. It had, I think, nothing to do with the other linemen so there would have been nothing to be conspicuous about. Davenport is smart and has that great wingspan so important to BG. I’m looking forward to watching this OL develop. I know I’m mr optimistic but I think the Texans are on to something with their genetic profiling of this OL and other positions. Anyway for me it’s interesting to watch this roster evolve.

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw that. But it was in 2 or 3 different places, maybe all of them going back to a statement from OB...maybe.

It seems like 4 guys were mentioned by name with Rankin being the only OLinemen in the list. That doesn't mean the other guys didn't work hard, too.

Sorry, that's the best I can do for now.

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw that. But it was in 2 or 3 different places, maybe all of them going back to a statement from OB...maybe.

It seems like 4 guys were mentioned by name with Rankin being the only OLinemen in the list. That doesn't mean the other guys didn't work hard, too.

Sorry, that's the best I can do for now.

It’s coming back to me. I remember an article before the 2018 season that applauded Davenport for the conditioning work he put in the offseason. Seems these players shed those college bodies in year two.

Back