DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I've got mixed feelings about Thomas.

Sort of has an Ed Reed vibe about bringing an aging vet here, and I'm not convinced the Texans locker room has the kind of atmosphere to co-exist with his personality. And does Cal have that same "Texans worthy" metric that Bob had? If so, I don't see management letting Thomas in the door. Heck, wasn't part of O'Brien's reasoning with the Nuk trade the 'undesirable' locker room influence?

Like steelb said, though, the Texans have a big hole at TE coverage and that killed them in the Chiefs playoff game. They did nothing notable to address it, so expect more torchings.

Sort of has an Ed Reed vibe about bringing an aging vet here, and I'm not convinced the Texans locker room has the kind of atmosphere to co-exist with his personality. And does Cal have that same "Texans worthy" metric that Bob had? If so, I don't see management letting Thomas in the door. Heck, wasn't part of O'Brien's reasoning with the Nuk trade the 'undesirable' locker room influence?

Like steelb said, though, the Texans have a big hole at TE coverage and that killed them in the Chiefs playoff game. They did nothing notable to address it, so expect more torchings.
As it pained me to watch Kelce have his way, I saw confusion/lack of knowing what to do in the secondary. The secondary much like an OL needs to play together to be better. I don't know who the leader is in the current group. Even if Thomas is more talented than any safety on the roster, he may not be the right ingredient for the secondary as a whole.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I am a hard no on Thomas, he is in decline and football is not his #1. The Earl of 3-4 years ago heck yeah. Dylan Cole has been our LB to cover the TE, I do expect a better defense due to Weaver dialing up pressure and secondary having more time to work together. People forget in the KC game we were down like 3 safeties including Gipson who was the man meant to cover the TE. We all have puke in our throat remembering 51-7, they can do better, but still need the offense to carry us this year

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Hardly ever does it hurt add an all pro level talent.

Reid/Thomas puts the Texans alot closer talentwise to the Chiefs.

Last edited:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I noticed the words all pro in that article

Thomas will never be a Texan and they still won't be able to cover the TE's.
One of us misread the article if you saw "all-pro". I saw pro bowler. IMHO, All-Pro is a much, much higher distinction than pro bowler. BTW, I'm pretty sure Ed Reed was a former All-Pro, pro bowler and future HOF'er when the Texans signed him. Thomas may well be a better option than Reed, but he's still not the same player who built his reputation in Seattle. Especially for the money.

badboy

Hall of Fame
After today's cuts, I'm going to say that OB is not done. $15 in space remains and not out of realm of possibility that Watt, Cooks and Fuller could be reworked and or extended to add millions to space. If David Johnson starts off 4-5 games at great pace his could also be looked at. Age is factor but injury history more of concern than age alone. A healthy season with good stats could attract Obriens attention. He has said he's been aware of DJ for a while.
Ha ha Clinton Dix is on my target list.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Ok.
So who is available as a FA or via trade? How do we fix what last night showed us is broken?

OB has been an unmitigated disaster. No quality coaches available to replace him with now ... have to hope he's canned after this season and the next guy doesn't suck.

How the hell does Devlin still have a job ? All those first round picks on the OL and they are this bad ?

I'm not so sure this is fixable during this season or in a single offseason with a full compliment of picks , just too many holes to patch up.

Starting on the defense and assuming they stay in a 34 - This defense is really a mess from front to back.

NT - they miss Reader.
Edge rushers (DE , OLB) - Mercilus is stealing his checks and no one else showed much either. Watt's over rated now. Scarlett's a journeyman ....
ILB - Can't play both McKinney and Cunningham , that extension was stupid. One of them has to be replaced.
Corner - Roby is your best guy , that says it all. Talent upgrade needed.

Offense ...

Right Guard - Fulton isn't a starting caliber player. May not be a useful backup even.
Center - Martin is just not good not to mention being overpaid.
WR - Need a true #1. I miss DHop.

They owe Miami a #1 and a #2 in the next draft and they are in total cap hell going forward .... making quality FA's unlikely.

Fix it ? They need multiple miracles.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
OB has been an unmitigated disaster.

I'm not so sure this is fixable during this season or in a single offseason with a full compliment of picks , just too many holes to patch up.

Starting on the defense and assuming they stay in a 34 - This defense is really a mess from front to back.

NT - they miss Reader.
Edge rushers (DE , OLB) - Mercilus is stealing his checks and no one else showed much either. Watt's over rated now. Scarlett's a journeyman ....
ILB - Can't play both McKinney and Cunningham , that extension was stupid. One of them has to be replaced.

Offense ...

Right Guard - Fulton isn't a starting caliber player. May not be a useful backup even.

They owe Miami a #1 and a #2 in the next draft and they are in total cap hell going forward .... making quality FA's unlikely.

4 more yrs

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
NT - they miss Reader.
Edge rushers (DE , OLB) - Mercilus is stealing his checks
This what O'Brien the GM did to O'Brien the coach:

Reader - 4 years, $53 million, $20 million guaranteed - Too much.

Mercilus - 4 years, $54 million, $18 million guaranteed - He's a hard worker.

This team had the ceiling of a division winner when O'Brien was just a head coach. That's gone with O'Brien as the GM. He can't evaluate talent. A GM that can't evaluate talent is a organization killer.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This what O'Brien the GM did to O'Brien the coach:

Reader - 4 years, $53 million, $20 million guaranteed - Too much.

Mercilus - 4 years, $54 million, $18 million guaranteed - He's a hard worker.

This team had the ceiling of a division winner when O'Brien was just a head coach. That's gone with O'Brien as the GM. He can't evaluate talent. A GM that can't evaluate talent is a organization killer.
A GM that can’t evaluate talent meets a HC who can’t develop players. The perfect storm.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Not done by a long shot. A few more dismal performances like this and ob will start making trades to save himself. He'll mortgage off more draft capital in more 1 sided trades...

Oddly, those horrible moves (in combination with the ones he's already made) may save OB. Why? No respectable gm or HC candidates will want to come here if this franchise has no chance of turning things around for 2-3 years.

We've reached the quicksand phase of ob's masterplan. Not to mention he has once again surrendered himself with new sacrificial lambs...

Mr Kelly or Mr Weaver? Step right up and have a go at another round of O'Brien roulette. The cost of admission is your career and the happiness of Texans fans again.

Tminus 15...

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Oddly, those horrible moves (in combination with the ones he's already made) may save OB. Why? No respectable gm or HC candidates will want to come here if this franchise has no chance of turning things around for 2-3 years.
well, we’ve already set precedent that we’ll fire a GM after 18 months.

the HC is safe for 8 years at least.

We can hire Bienemy as our HC & Joe Schmoe as our GM. Then fire the GM after a year or two with the first pick locked up

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
well, we’ve already set precedent that we’ll fire a GM after 18 months.

the HC is safe for 8 years at least.

We can hire Bienemy as our HC & Joe Schmoe as our GM. Then fire the GM after a year or two with the first pick locked up
Is Bienemy calling the plays?

If so sign him up. If not then pass.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Andy Reid is the primary play caller, though Bieniemy has input and relays calls to the QB. You could see Bieniemy's input when the Chiefs went to the run after the Texans early pass rush pressure. It was the turning point in the game.
So no,

Pasa

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
OB has been an unmitigated disaster. No quality coaches available to replace him with now ... have to hope he's canned after this season and the next guy doesn't suck.

How the hell does Devlin still have a job ? All those first round picks on the OL and they are this bad ?

NT - they miss Reader.

Offense ...

Good analysis. It just makes a fan sad when realizing that he's in a hole but just keeps digging.

We've seen this stuff before in league history. It can take a franchise years, even decades, to climb out of a hole dug by inept front office decisions. And that's only if/when the owner finds a GM/HC that can turn it around.

And honestly, I have zero confidence that Texans owners are capable in any sort of way from hiring truly competent football people. Their hiring practices are questionable, at best, and many of their hiring qualifications seem to be based on qualities that have very little to do with X's & O's, talent evaluation, and roster/salary cap management.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Warring is the one I’m wondering about. Took him in the 3rd and he hasn’t played a game at all. :crazy:
.......yeah, Senor OB cuts Jordan Thomas who was familiar with this extremely - extremely - extremely deep offense, then goes out and signs 2 new TE's to the PS. Their primary job will be to learn that their future use will be as the current bookends on the bench until Senor OB decides it's time to cut them. It'll be interesting to see how the Cardinals use Thomas as the season progresses.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
.......yeah, Senor OB cuts Jordan Thomas who was familiar with this extremely - extremely - extremely deep offense, then goes out and signs 2 new TE's to the PS. Their primary job will be to learn that their future use will be as the current bookends on the bench until Senor OB decides it's time to cut them. It'll be interesting to see how the Cardinals use Thomas as the season progresses.
Dude is doing thing ashes backwards.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Did OB forget that PS players can be signed away from teams. Thomas is on the Cardinals PS.
I think Bill is covering his butt here. If Warring is grabbed by another team Bill can say well I tried to keep him around on the practice squad not my fault. Perhaps he thinks that would be better than cutting him. I couldn't care less either way.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Pass, this team is not salvagable, no more $$ or draft picks for BOB, save the ammo. If signing him let's him walk and we get a comp pick maybe worth burning more $$, but nothing beyond this year. His best football is clearly behind him. Not saying we could cover a TE with the guys we have, but I just don't care anymore