Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is It time to fire David Culley after 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Waterboy
With the ineptitude of the front office and the coaching staff, Do you think the Texans will throw David Culley under the bus and fire him after one year?

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I think NC will likely give him another year so as not to admit his mistake of hiring Culley in the first place. However, I would be happy with him gone ASAP and hiring a proven coach.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Y’all are acting like Culley was brought here to make a difference. That is not the case at all. The Texans were the 1st team to need a HC and the last to hire one. And when they do finally hire one, it’s someone who’s never been on a HC radar ever.

Culley was hired to do exactly what he’s doing, and that’s doing and saying what he’s told to do and say, and take the heat while they tank. He’s not going anywhere for at least a couple of years.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
The Texans have been slow to fire coaches and GMs. I would expect him to last at minimum three years or through 2023 season. . The only thing i see that might make contradict this is the fact the Texans, especially on offense, are seriously regressing.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Stranger things have happened. But I suspect they’ll retain Culley another year and fire Tim Kelly.

If there were a slam dunk franchise QB prospect or two in this draft class then Caserio might give him a shorter leash.
Smith and his system could be very interesting with an infusion of talent. He’s a keeper until proven otherwise.

Kelly should’ve been gone with OB but he was retained in an effort to appease Watson. Kelly will be gone at the end of this season. Culley and Caserio must come to an agreement on who the next OC will be at seasons end or as early as possible to get a new offense implemented.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Y’all are acting like Culley was brought here to make a difference. That is not the case at all. The Texans were the 1st team to need a HC and the last to hire one. And when they do finally hire one, it’s someone who’s never been on a HC radar ever.

Culley was hired to do exactly what he’s doing, and that’s doing and saying what he’s told to do and say, and take the heat while they tank. He’s not going anywhere for at least a couple of years.
What I don't understand is why Culley get a 5-yr contract?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That was the team’s chance to show Watson their commitment to a long term solution. They will either hold onto him and fire Kelly or they could send them both packing at season’s end since Watson will never be suiting up for the Texans in the future.
I'm not sold that Watson was on the Culley's train.
Wasn't he promised to be communicated duringthe hiring process and never was?
Any text message ever reported?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Because honestly, it’s probably going to take that long to turn this mess around, if they’re lucky. I mean, I know there’s teams that turn it around quicker, but there’s also the Browns, Jags and Lions who never do.
I still don't see how Culley deserves a 5-yr contract, unless there's certain term/clause in there like a buy-out close.

An opportunity, yes.
A 5-yr guarantee, I don't think so.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
IMO I say yes

I entered this season expecting him to be a place holder to get through the dumpster fire season.

I don't have anyone in mind really, but I haven't rely seen anything that makes me want him to stick around, nothing against him personally though. Still prefer him over our GM/HC/OC/ QB Whisperer experiment we had in place before Culley.

If we keep him I wont be mad, but I dont want to see him have job security for the next decade unless he proves something.

Texansballer74

The Marine
With the ineptitude of the front office and the coaching staff, Do you think the Texans will throw David Culley under the bus and fire him after one year?
No they will give him a 5 year extension. Remember the key word is ineptitude. Lol

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Here's what I don't like about Culley... I don't know what he's good at!? He's been an offensive-side coach all of his career, so one would assume he know's how to coach a good offense. It would be hard for me to believe there's a worse offense than ours.

I know some will say he has very little talent to work with. But look at the defense. I would argue there's less talent on the defense, but Lovie has built at least a formidable defense with an identity. I'm not buying the lack of talent on offense reason.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
It is clear that the Texans are going nowhere fast under David Culley.

Is it wise, long term, to give him another year, likely not much better in terms of talent, and therefore results, before going for the next hot HC candidate?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Here's what I don't like about Culley... I don't know what he's good at!? He's been an offensive-side coach all of his career, so one would assume he know's how to coach a good offense. It would be hard for me to believe there's a worse offense than ours.

I know some will say he has very little talent to work with. But look at the defense. I would argue there's less talent on the defense, but Lovie has built at least a formidable defense with an identity. I'm not buying the lack of talent on offense reason.
He's good at suspended players on the defense for not buying into the type of losing culture that's being employed. The offense caught onto that plan in week three. Culley gave the entire team a pass against the Titans , because it was a rivalry.

Naw on the cool good observation. None of us know what this dude does good.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Whether you buy it or not, it doesn’t make it not so. There isn’t a single playmaker on offense, other than Cooks, and it looks as though defenses are eliminating him with the little production he’s had the last few games.
What playmakers are there on defense?

My point is Lovie is able to build something out of nothing. Texans aren't a great defense (or even good), but they are formidable and not a total embarassment.

The offense on the other hand. Their lack of production is BOTH talent & poor coaching. Not good when your HC is supposed to be an offensive minded coach.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
What playmakers are there on defense?

My point is Lovie is able to build something out of nothing. Texans aren't a great defense (or even good), but they are formidable and not a total embarassment.

The offense on the other hand. Their lack of production is BOTH talent & poor coaching. Not good when your HC is supposed to be an offensive minded coach.
I get that the offense being as bad as they are can have a negative effect on the D, but they still give up the 5th most points and can’t stop the run to save their lives. Yeah, they’re a better unit than the offense, but that’s a really low bar. And I think the turnovers make them look a lot better than they are.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I get that the offense being as bad as they are can have a negative effect on the D, but they still give up the 5th most points and can’t stop the run to save their lives. Yeah, they’re a better unit than the offense, but that’s a really low bar. And I think the turnovers make them look a lot better than they are.
Look, my point is one side of the ball is outperforming their talent level. It's clearly the defense. That's what makes me believe Lovie is a good defensive coordinator.

On the offensive side, they are playing AT or below their talent level... which tells me the offensive coaches are average AT BEST. I would argue they're playing worse than their talent level.

So this goes back to my original question... what exactly is Culley good at? Being a coach on the offensive side his whole career, I would have thought he'd bring in some semblance of an offense.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Look, my point is one side of the ball is outperforming their talent level. It's clearly the defense. That's what makes me believe Lovie is a good defensive coordinator.

On the offensive side, they are playing AT or below their talent level... which tells me the offensive coaches are average AT BEST. I would argue they're playing worse than their talent level.

So this goes back to my original question... what exactly is Culley good at? Being a coach on the offensive side his whole career, I would have thought he'd bring in some semblance of an offense.
And my point is that they are not “outperforming” their talent level. They may look a lot more competent than the offense, but they aren’t good either. They’re just not as god awful as the offense is.

What is Culley good at? He’s good at being the sock puppet they hired him to be. That’s it. End of story.

Reactions: JB

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Culley has to find an OC who’s as competent as Lewis for next season. Caserio has to trade Watson and nail the 2022 NFL Draft on both sides of the ball.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And my point is that they are not “outperforming” their talent level. They may look a lot more competent than the offense, but they aren’t good either. They’re just not as god awful as the offense is.
Still looks to me if the offense could do something the defense, as opportunistic as they are, could help a decent offense win games.

there’s only 60 minutes in a game. The more our offense is on the field, the less our defense is giving up.

at the same time I agree with you. It’s not like the Colts punter is going to need an ice bath today

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Look……like Kelly, he’s got to be gone by next season.

They need to do a new movie chapter of…..”The Purge” and call it the, “Houston Texans OB Roots”.
Panthers fired Joe Brady. If wanting to appease Watson is the only reason Kelly is here (please stop calling that joker TK) that ship has sailed. He needs to go. Sooner than later shows the Texans don’t have their head up their bums. The longer it takes, the more they prove we’re in for a long time of sub-mediocrity

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
It is standard that coaches contracts are guaranteed.

Barring a contract settlement, the Giants front office will likely feel the impact of Shurmur’s dismissal for years to come. While the financial details of his deal were never released, the Giants fired Shurmur just two years into the five-year contract he signed prior to the 2018 NFL season. When the Giants hire Shurmur’s successor, they will still owe Shurmur money for the next several years.

In most cases, NFL coaches sign contracts that include offset clauses. Franchises that fire head coaches must pay the full salary as stipulated unless another team hires them. In that case, the coach’s original employer must cover some or all of the balance in salary.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Get a link?

I know the Raiders settle with Gruden, but he resigned, so it was a different scenario.
I was typing sarcastically, but I remember the Texans were paying 3 GMs at the same time so I figured GMs and coaches have guaranteed contracts. I remember hearing something about it too.

Which seems to be the case:

“In most cases, NFL coaches sign contracts that include offset clauses. Franchises that fire head coaches must pay the full salary as stipulated unless another team hires them. In that case, the coach’s original employer must cover some or all of the balance in salary.”

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Not good when your HC is supposed to be an offensive minded coach.
Culley is a lifelong position coach. It's not as if he's ever designed an offense or developed a playbook. He was brought in to be a glue guy. Get every player pulling on the same rope.

Culley has not been a glue guy. This looks like a fractured team. With a mediocre defense upset that an inept offense can't carry their own weight. It takes a strong leader to keep a team together in this type of situation. A Jimmy Johnson or a Bill Parcells type. Culley is not that kind of guy.

I've tried to come up with a comp for Culley and I can't find one. Not an X and O's guy. Not a leader. Not anything you want from a head coach. Not anything I've really seen in a NFL head coach. It's like if the Marines decided to make Gomer Pyle the platoon leader.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
So from what we know generally about NFL head coaching contracts is that the low end guys make somewhere around three millions a year fully guaranteed. Culley signed by all reports signed for 5 years. The Texans are on the hook for 15 million for Culley. Guessing that Culley is going get time just because of the finances.

As I post elsewhere

The Texans believe that Culley was the best man for the Head coaching job

or

Culley was the best they could find who would take the Texans Job.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I was typing sarcastically, but I remember the Texans were paying 3 GMs at the same time so I figured GMs and coaches have guaranteed contracts. I remember hearing something about it too.

Which seems to be the case:

“In most cases, NFL coaches sign contracts that include offset clauses. Franchises that fire head coaches must pay the full salary as stipulated unless another team hires them. In that case, the coach’s original employer must cover some or all of the balance in salary.”

Not entirely clear, but it does look like there's quite a bit of guaranteed money.

An example of an unclear situation: "the Redskins AGREED to pay the remainder of Jay Gruden's contract".

It didn't read "the Redskins are OBLIGED to pay the remainder of the contract".

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Not entirely clear, but it does look like there's quite a bit of guaranteed money.

An example of an unclear situation: "the Redskins AGREED to pay the remainder of Jay Gruden's contract".

It didn't read "the Redskins are OBLIGED to pay the remainder of the contract".
I am sure if the Redskins legal counsel told them they could get out from paying it they would. No charity in this league.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So from what we know generally about NFL head coaching contracts is that the low end guys make somewhere around three millions a year fully guaranteed. Culley signed by all reports signed for 5 years. The Texans are on the hook for 15 million for Culley. Guessing that Culley is going get time just because of the finances.

As I post elsewhere

The Texans believe that Culley was the best man for the Head coaching job

or

Culley was the best they could find who would take the Texans Job.
Hey old dude who's been in the NFL for 27 years. How would you like to be a HC before you retire? All you have to do is do what we tell you to do, say what we tell you to say, take all the heat for our total rebuild that we're not going to publicly call a rebuild, and these millions are yours. Do we have a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.