Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is It time to fire David Culley after 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Culley has to find an OC who’s as competent as Lewis for next season. Caserio has to trade Watson and nail the 2022 NFL Draft on both sides of the ball.
Watson hasn't been traded so far because his legal issues haven't been resolved. What do you think the odds are that Watson will resolve these issues in the next four months? So, do you think Watson will be traded come March, when trading resumes?

I agree with this, if they were just looking for a scape goat, rebuild coach why take so long? Just hire the first guy you interview and be done with it. I think a really large factor is that Culley seems to be highly respected within the NFL with almost all players and coaches giving him rave reviews. Plus Culley is the exact opposite of OB in both style of coaching and attitude. So if they are looking to change how they are viewed that’s a start.

I don’t know if Culley is or even can be a good coach but I know I’m not ready to say he’s a bad one in his first year with a team that it’s best players hold be back ups on any other team coming out of a draft where the Texans didn’t even have a pick till the third round and the OC is a hold over from the previous regime and was a first time OC last year as well.

I mean give him at least a couple of years to get some talent before we start up the mob calling for his head.

I was about all of that but his stubbornness towards the defense and not that sorry ash offense has done it for me. He gots to go.

Does anyone think that perhaps they hired Culley because they thought he was the best man for the job? Can't imagine why, but with all the conspiracy theorists coming up with other reasons, that might be why Culley has the job. Which should really make you worry. :lol:
I think there may be some truth to this. I think a big part of what makes NE works is the development of coaches & that's where most acolytes fail.

HC, OC, & DC should be developing position coaches & position coaches should be developing players.

Caserio mentioned Culley's mentorship as a trait that made an impression on him way back when at the Combine.

... Also Ob didn't draft Howard, Gaines did and honestly if he could have been or still could be a long term solution at RT it was a good draft at 23. Though its looking more and more like thats not going to happen.
I do hope you are wrong about Howard. During the off season and training camp, he should be moved back to RT, his best position,, with Tunsil at LT. We need to draft two OG's with high picks and a C.

I'd like to see how Britt finishes the season
Next season will be his 9th. And his current contract is only for one year. My concern would always be, can he stay healthy. I'd wouldn't mind if he was resigned, to tutor a young center. I'd like to draft a C in the 4th, maybe the 3rd, to develope with the two OG's I'd draft in the 1st and 2nd.

I do hope you are wrong about Howard. During the off season and training camp, he should be moved back to RT, his best position,, with Tunsil at LT. We need to draft two OG's with high picks and a C.

Our biggest problem is we keep drafting OL that amount to nothing. Davenport, Rankins, Scharping, Heck. You can argue Howard should be in that group as well, but I believe he's been mis-managed.

Culley is a lifelong position coach. It's not as if he's ever designed an offense or developed a playbook. He was brought in to be a glue guy. Get every player pulling on the same rope.

Culley has not been a glue guy. This looks like a fractured team. With a mediocre defense upset that an inept offense can't carry their own weight. It takes a strong leader to keep a team together in this type of situation. A Jimmy Johnson or a Bill Parcells type. Culley is not that kind of guy.

I've tried to come up with a comp for Culley and I can't find one. Not an X and O's guy. Not a leader. Not anything you want from a head coach. Not anything I've really seen in a NFL head coach. It's like if the Marines decided to make Gomer Pyle the platoon leader.

Nailed it.

David Culley is the Tom Savage of NFL head coaches.

You could put him with a team full of talent and they would end up with a losing record. He inspires nothing and he's simply not cut out to be a head coach.

Leave it to the Texans to hire a never-would-be coach and then spin it like it's something that it will never be.

It's such a Texans thing to do, really. Along with the "rebuild starts next year" (it's always "next year" with this franchise), they will probably keep Culley around to gather up some talent that will be mediocre here and blossom at the next team they go to.

Does anyone think that perhaps they hired Culley because they thought he was the best man for the job? Can't imagine why, but with all the conspiracy theorists coming up with other reasons, that might be why Culley has the job. Which should really make you worry. :lol:

This is Occam's razor principle and most likely closest to the truth along with the sock puppet theory that Speedy mentioned.

Lower your standards to nothing when analyzing the Texans. This is one of the worst run franchises in the NFL by any standard. They are down there will the Lions, Jags, and Browns.

Frustrating season all around but Culley should get 3 years. I don't think the chips could have fallen any worse in the first year of a 1st time head coach. At this point, Culley should immediately remove Tim Kelly from play calling and give it fully to Pep Hamilton. The level of talent squarely falls on the the personnel moves of the recent past GM and the current GM. The current GM came in at a disadvantage so he too will get a fair chance of fixing the mess. As corny as it it sounds, it truly is about a process. This team was not going to be competitive and the plan was always about starting the rebuild this year. The only reason the team wouldn't say so is because this is professional sports team that makes a ton of $$$ from TV and the paying fans. No NFL team would be that frank.

Nailed it.

David Culley is the Tom Savage of NFL head coaches.

You could put him with a team full of talent and they would end up with a losing record. He inspires nothing and he's simply not cut out to be a head coach.

Leave it to the Texans to hire a never-would-be coach and then spin it like it's something that it will never be.

It's such a Texans thing to do, really. Along with the "rebuild starts next year" (it's always "next year" with this franchise), they will probably keep Culley around to gather up some talent that will be mediocre here and blossom at the next team they go to.

This is Occam's razor principle and most likely closest to the truth along with the sock puppet theory that Speedy mentioned.

Lower your standards to nothing when analyzing the Texans. This is one of the worst run franchises in the NFL by any standard. They are down there will the Lions, Jags, and Browns.

It amazing how fast they got down there with those horrible franchises. Because 2 years ago we were a playoffs team.

... At this point, Culley should immediately remove Tim Kelly from play calling and give it fully to Pep Hamilton...
I don't think it would be a Culley decision. And I'd have to ask, what would be accomplished making this move; what could or would Kelly do differently. What I'd like to see, actually we'd never know, is this discussed behind closed doors between Caserio, Culley and Kelly. And then a decision made. To make the change now or after the season. If now, Kelly would pad his resume and make a case to retain him, rather than look elsewhere.

Frustrating season all around but Culley should get 3 years. I don't think the chips could have fallen any worse in the first year of a 1st time head coach. At this point, Culley should immediately remove Tim Kelly from play calling and give it fully to Pep Hamilton. The level of talent squarely falls on the the personnel moves of the recent past GM and the current GM. The current GM came in at a disadvantage so he too will get a fair chance of fixing the mess. As corny as it it sounds, it truly is about a process. This team was not going to be competitive and the plan was always about starting the rebuild this year. The only reason the team wouldn't say so is because this is professional sports team that makes a ton of $$$ from TV and the paying fans. No NFL team would be that frank.

I'm sorry but he has to go. He's clearly not up for the challenge. He's not holding Kelly responsible for that crappy offense. He's still singing the praise of doing a great job. He's putting yet another division between the players by only discipline the defensive players. Cook blasted them of social media for trading his boy back to the Saints. Culley didn't suspend him. He's not engaged with the offensive schemes/plan other than saying their identity is running the ball.

I was in the beginning all about him coaching here for another year or two. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of what he came into. But when your team offense cant get past the 50 yard line consistently, that entire coaching staff needs to be fired. Talk about embarrassing

Our biggest problem is we keep drafting OL that amount to nothing. Davenport, Rankins, Scharping, Heck.
I liked Davenport as a project. He started way too early I think. Then had a bad injury after traded away. 4th round was a good pick for him. Heck was also a 4th round pick. A good pick, I think.

Howard & Scharping appear to be disappointing but with the coaching changes, & we know Devlin was a bad coach & O’Brien had a bad offense, it’s really hard to say how bad they are. They might be serviceable if not stars on other teams

I'm sorry but he has to go. He's clearly not up for the challenge. He's not holding Kelly responsible for that crappy offense. He's still singing the praise of doing a great job. He's putting yet another division between the players by only discipline the defensive players. Cook blasted them of social media for trading his boy back to the Saints. Culley didn't suspend him. He's not engaged with the offensive schemes/plan other than saying their identity is running the ball.

I was in the beginning all about him coaching here for another year or two. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of what he came into. But when your team offense cant get past the 50 yard line consistently, that entire coaching staff needs to be fired. Talk about embarrassing
Definitely embarrassing the way the offense has performed, but I think that has more to do with play calling and player talent level. Culley is trying to be a HC where he entrusts the coordinators to make calls, adjustments etc. He may be aware but I don't think he would take over during a game. That whole thing about being a running team was a result of the QB situation, the roster and an attempt at minimizing mistakes while enduring this rebuild. Cook blasted the team (the Big 3) and we know Culley is not a decision maker on personnel moves. If Cooks or any offensive player placed their ire at Culley, I bet discipline would have happened.

I think it depends on his coaching staff. If we can get Nagy as OC next season he might start to look like a competent HC.

I don't think it would be a Culley decision. And I'd have to ask, what would be accomplished making this move; what could or would Kelly do differently. What I'd like to see, actually we'd never know, is this discussed behind closed doors between Caserio, Culley and Kelly. And then a decision made. To make the change now or after the season. If now, Kelly would pad his resume and make a case to retain him, rather than look elsewhere.
I believe it was Mr Tex that talked about this offense having no flow, no way of attacking etc. Well that isn't just this year and Kelly has been a part of this offense during that time. Right now perhaps Pep's experience around offenses can at least contribute to better flow during the game. Even if not, he should know what Mills (assuming Tyrod is out/benched) is comfortable with since he has been the QB coach.

I liked Davenport as a project. He started way too early I think. Then had a bad injury after traded away. 4th round was a good pick for him. Heck was also a 4th round pick. A good pick, I think.

Howard & Scharping appear to be disappointing but with the coaching changes, & we know Devlin was a bad coach & O’Brien had a bad offense, it’s really hard to say how bad they are. They might be serviceable if not stars on other teams

They're all busts to different magnitudes as compared to their draft slots. Davenport was bad and always will be what he is a journeyman NFL OL. Same goes with Scharping. Howard has talent but was way over drafted. I want to see more of Heck but so far he's been mediocre at best.

Draft a couple of IOL in the draft in the 2nd/3rd rds and move Howard out to RT. Let Howard/Heck fight it out for the RT spot.

Why does E*****by get scrubbed from this conversation? It's a group effort. One of two things..they are either tanking or inept. Cal is not his father.

This is what happens when you let your QB's mother make personnel decisions and then your QB goes full on Perv.
Watson is responsible for his self-destructive and horrible behavior (alleged). You can keep posting and trying to convince posters that Watson is the nexus of all the Texans' problems. However, at the end of the day, last time I checked. Derrick's mother did not trade Hopkins. Derrick didn't give himself a $150 million contract. He did not promote O'Brien to GM. He didn't hire Easterby. He didn't promote Easterby. He didn't fire Gaine. He didn't fire Kubiak and kept Rick Smith. He didn't fire O'Brien and kept Kelly. He didn't tamper with Caserio and he didn't hire Culley.

We can agree to disagree.

People are nuts around here. We could've had prime Vince Lombardi and Bill Polian and it wouldn't have mattered this year. There just wasn't enough meat on the bone for anyone to come in and be successful with how this organization was left. Whomever was gonna take over at GM & HC had their work cut out for them & its foolish of anyone to think that any HC/GM tandem was gonna come in & do much better than Culley has.....no matter how reputable or good they were purported to be.
Dude deserves a 2nd year with a full compliment of picks, better cap situation and chance to make changes to his coaching staff if he so chooses to just like pretty much every HC before him has gotten to do.

Hey old dude who's been in the NFL for 27 years. How would you like to be a HC before you retire? All you have to do is do what we tell you to do, say what we tell you to say, take all the heat for our total rebuild that we're not going to publicly call a rebuild, and these millions are yours. Do we have a deal?
Yea wouldn't be surprised if that's just about how it went down with the Cully hire.

People are nuts around here. We could've had prime Vince Lombardi and Bill Polian and it wouldn't have mattered this year. There just wasn't enough meat on the bone for anyone to come in and be successful with how this organization was left. Whomever was gonna take over at GM & HC had their work cut out for them & its foolish of anyone to think that any HC/GM tandem was gonna come in & do much better than Culley has.....no matter how reputable or good they were purported to be.
Dude deserves a 2nd year with a full compliment of picks, better cap situation and chance to make changes to his coaching staff if he so chooses to just like pretty much every HC before him has gotten to do.

Bingo, all off season people talked about how this was going to be a throw away season and neither Caserio or Culley were going to have a chance to do more than just try and keep the ship from sinking and what we were going to do with our top 3 pick. Now here we are on the latter half of the season and people are acting like we should have been a playoff caliber team or even an 9-8 or 8-9 team. We are getting exactly what we thought we were going to get, its like that first win against the Drags gave people false hope that we might still be in the hunt.

People are nuts around here. We could've had prime Vince Lombardi and Bill Polian and it wouldn't have mattered this year.
I could be wrong, but I don’t think anyone is saying we’d be in the playoff hunt with better coaching. Only that something is wrong, especially on offense. 140 some yards a game , 14ppg… that’s hella bad & there’s no excuse for it.

Why does E*****by get scrubbed from this conversation? It's a group effort. One of two things..they are either tanking or inept. Cal is not his father.

Tell me exactly what Easterby does and we can have this discussion.

You're right Cal's not his father. Cal figured out a way to kill the golden profiteering goose. The teams about the same as it always has been. Some decent yrs/mostly mediocre yrs/some terrible yrs.

Nothing has changed except Cal made a bad investment in Derrick

I could be wrong, but I don’t think anyone is saying we’d be in the playoff hunt with better coaching. Only that something is wrong, especially on offense. 140 some yards a game , 14ppg… that’s hella bad & there’s no excuse for it.
Bingo. During Kubiak's 2-14 season. The team lost 10 or 11 games by seven or fewer points. After games, you could at least say, they were competitive and a break here or there would have changed the outcome. You felt the team went through a streak of bad luck. Foster and Tate combined for over 1000 yards. Foster averaged 4.5 YPC. They were losing games, but you didn't feel that Wade Phillips or Kubiak were in over their heads.

This 2021 team is historically bad. When Caserio signed the three RBs, even if you thought they were going to be a terrible losing team. No one expected them to be one of the worst rushing teams in NFL history. This offense is barely able to cross midfield. I don't think anyone expected that and that is where the frustration is with the losing. It's one thing to expect them to be a bad, losing team. It's another to watch them in real time be a historically bad, losing team.

There is an excuse of sorts…the team was left in the worst possible position it could’ve been left in and no one was gonna come in here and field anything close to a competent offensive team with the table scraps we had….let alone a 1st year HC…..but that’s just not what people wanna hear b/c they’ve been conditioned to believe that it’s rather easy and normal to turn around a franchise quickly no matter what the circumstances and that’s the farthest thing from the truth. There rarely is ever just 1 fix that needs to happen when you’re talking about building a true contender and/or champion from a position as low as where the Texans were at the outset of this season. Yet here we are discussing how getting a new HC would drastically change this teams fortunes…No, no it won’t. solid drafting and FA acquisitions as well as draft maneuvering and most importantly TIME to get into a rhythm and accumulate all that will. All bringing in a new HC will do at this point is reset the clock and see us doing another roster purge to get “his” guys into place.

Bingo. During Kubiak's 2-14 season. The team lost 10 or 11 games by seven or fewer points. After games, you could at least say, they were competitive and a break here or there would have changed the outcome. You felt the team went through a streak of bad luck. Foster and Tate combined for over 1000 yards. Foster averaged 4.5 YPC. They were losing games, but you didn't feel that Wade Phillips or Kubiak were in over their heads.

This 2021 team is historically bad. When Caserio signed the three RBs, even if you thought they were going to be a terrible losing team. No one expected them to be one of the worst rushing teams in NFL history. This offense is barely able to cross midfield. I don't think anyone expected that and that is where the frustration is with the losing. It's one thing to expect them to be a bad, losing team. It's another to watch them in real time be a historically bad, losing team.

Point me to any player on this team that has anything even remotely resembling Foster’s level of talent. Hell point me to someone even on Tate’s level.

Also yeah I actually did expect them to be this bad as did pretty much everyone else or have you forgotten all the predictions of the Texans being the first team to go 0-17 in the off season? Personally I was just glad that we weren’t going to set that record.

Point me to any player on this team that has anything even remotely resembling Foster’s level of talent. Hell point me to someone even on Tate’s level.
That's not the point. I'm using Tate and Foster as an example of even during a 2-14 season, you saw a level of competency.

When they signed Tyrod, Ingram, Lindsay, Britt, Cannon and Burkhead. Were you expecting them to have a historically bad rushing attack or did you think they would lose games but be able to run the ball?

Even taking over for Capers after year 4 of our expansion, Kubiak never faced anything close to what Culley has had to in his 1st year here.

& last year the Texans lost about the same number of games by 7 or fewer points. Yet Bob was fired after game 4. You don’t think any of what that dude did in the previous year or so before he got canned had any bearing on what Culley and this current Texans team are currently wrestling with now? C’mon man. The Nuk and Tunsil trades alone took at a minimum 2 premium talents off our roster. DW4 took himself out….Kubiak at no point faced anything close to what Culley has.

That's not the point. When they signed Tyrod, Ingram, Lindsay, Britt, Cannon and Burkhead. Were you expecting them to have a historically bad rushing attack or did you think they would lose games but be able to run the ball?

With that Oline and either a career backup or a 3rd round QB at center? Unless someone got a time machine and went and got Smith, Sanders, Bell or McCaffrey in their prime no I did not think they would be able to run the ball.

Even taking over for Capers after year 4 of our expansion, Kubiak never faced anything close to what Culley has had to in his 1st year here.

& last year the Texans lost about the same number of games by 7 or fewer points. Yet Bob was fired after game 4. You don’t think any of what that dude did in the previous year or so before he got canned had any bearing on what Culley and this current Texans team are currently wrestling with now? C’mon man. The Nuk and Tunsil trades alone took at a minimum 2 premium talents off our roster. DW4 took himself out….Kubiak at no point faced anything close to what Culley has.
Sigh. That's not the point. I'm simply saying being a bad team does not automatically make the team terrible in every offensive category. Look at Detroit. They are 1-10-1. Their offense and defense are ranked similar to the Texans. They are just as bad. However, they have two RBs averaging over 4.0 YPC. They are targeting the RBs more and more in the passing game. You can look at their games and see what they are trying to do. This Texans' team is struggling to cross midfield. In today's NFL, that's unheard of.

Last edited:
That's not the point. I'm using Tate and Foster as an example of even during a 2-14 season, you saw a level of competency.

When they signed Tyrod, Ingram, Lindsay, Britt, Cannon and Burkhead. Were you expecting them to have a historically bad rushing attack or did you think they would lose games but be able to run the ball?

no…but I also didn’t expect that Schaub was going to all of a sudden turn into Joe Montana after a Lis-Franc either…yet he was given an extension by Smithiak.

Sigh. That's not the point. I'm simply saying being a bad team does not automatically make the team terrible in every offensive category. Look at Detroit. They are 1-10-1. Their offense and defense are ranked similar to the Texans. They are just as bad. However, they have two RBs averaging over 4.0 YPC.

who cares. Did you care or did it matter to you that much that DW4 was the 1st Texans qb to throw for over 30 TD’s last year? Was it really that big a deal that he led the league in passing yards? The offense was still god awful, we still couldn’t run the ball then either. It’s a different stripe on the same tiger buddy. Both stripes circling around the ass of the Tiger that is.

Sigh. That's not the point. I'm simply saying being a bad team does not automatically make the team terrible in every offensive category. Look at Detroit. They are 1-10-1. Their offense and defense are ranked similar to the Texans. They are just as bad. However, they have two RBs averaging over 4.0 YPC.

They also are not ranked 32 in Oline and have Goff at QB who, while not good, is still better than Mills or TT so other teams can’t just ignore him to focus on shutting the run down.

Dude deserves a 2nd year
Culley will be back. But deserves got nothing to do with it. 4 years left on his deal has everything to do with it.
If we can get Nagy as OC next season he might start to look like a competent HC.
Have you been watching the Bears offense? But, I think you're right about Nagy becoming OC, anyway.
I'll wait and see how Caserio performs.
I don't want to steal Coach Culley's "thunder", but we've seen Caserio perform. Like Culley, he's almost finished his 1st year. And like Culley, he's had mitigating factors that have affected his performance. But can we point to anything positive either of these guys have accomplished? Plenty of negatives for both. Their contracts demand additional chances. But what we've seen thus far, sucks.

Of course if "sucks" was what they were shooting for, then bravo.

joey-chandler-clapping-friends-animation.gif

who cares. Did you care or did it matter to you that much that DW4 was the 1st Texans qb to throw for over 30 TD’s last year? Was it really that big a deal that he led the league in passing yards? The offense was still god awful, we still couldn’t run the ball then either. It’s a different stripe on the same tiger buddy. Both stripes circling around the ass of the Tiger that is.
I think we are going in a circle here. I understand what Culley and Caserio inherited. I expected the losing. However, I don't understand the excuses for an NFL team to get the ball with 48 seconds, going against a prevent defense and punting with 20 seconds left. Do you know how hard that is to do? Again, it's one thing to expect them to be terrible. But this is beyond terrible.

Culley will be back. But deserves got nothing to do with it. 4 years left on his deal has everything to do with it.

Have you been watching the Bears offense? But, I think you're right about Nagy becoming OC, anyway.

I don't want to steal Coach Culley's "thunder", but we've seen Caserio perform. Like Culley, he's almost finished his 1st year. And like Culley, he's had mitigating factors that have affected his performance. But can we point to anything positive either of these guys have accomplished? Plenty of negatives for both. Their contracts demand additional chances. But what we've seen thus far, sucks.

Yes, last year's draft. And this year's draft is what I was referring to, for how well he drafts.

It's a matter of perception and expectations.

Mine were both very low and the Texans have done what I wanted them to do. Found 6-8 guys that can be part of the future of this team

Last edited:
I think we are going in a circle here. I understand what Culley and Caserio inherited. I expected the losing. However, I don't understand the excuses for an NFL team to get the ball with 48 seconds, going against a prevent defense and punting with 20 seconds left. Do you know how hard that is to do? Again, it's one thing to expect them to be terrible. But this is beyond terrible.
There's nothing going right for this offense. Game planning, game calling, execution.... can't run, can't screen, can't throw more than 15 yards downfield... the offense probably average 13 yards per possession & I'm being generous.

I wish I was complaining about settling for field goals, but we're not even crossing mid field.

I don’t particularly think it’s hard given what we have on offense and the team we were going up against. Hard is throwing 30 ints in a season. Hard is watching your team blow a 24 pt lead ..with great talent. What happened yesterday wasn’t hard to imagine happening with career back up at every position going against 1 of the best defenses in the NFL.

deserves got everything to do with it. No one could’ve expected anymore from this team other than what we are getting from it given what was on tap coming into the season period. And he shouldn’t be the face of it just b/c he chose to take the gig.

Also yeah I actually did expect them to be this bad as did pretty much everyone else or have you forgotten all the predictions of the Texans being the first team to go 0-17 in the off season? Personally I was just glad that we weren’t going to set that record.
Actually, Foster got injured early in the 7th game after just 4 carries. He tried to go the next game, but couldn't; the Texans had to put him on IR.
Tate; he was playing with multiple broken ribs.
And Keenum was playing with a broken thumb in his last game or two.

BOB got fired after going 0-4, losing by an average of 12 points per game, with the 4th loss against a below average Vikings team.

Kubiak, as stated above, was without Foster for more than half a season (with the last few games under Wade, actually) and Tate playing hurt while also missing 2-1/2 games.
Owen Daniels got hurt in the 5th and got shut down.
There was a point during the season that the other two TEs had to play even though they were injured.
Wade Smith needed a shot to his knee before each game to ease the pain.
D Manning was shut down after 5 games; the Texans were so desperate they brought in Bad Reed.
Kubiak also had a QB that kept throwing the pick six while Keenum suffered a broken thumb in the second Indy game and was shut down for the year.
The D had a subpar year, but as a team, they scratched and clawed in all those close games, and kept fighting until the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back