Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Discussion Thread

Ward seemed to have experienced a severe concussion Sunday. The hit did not seem too terribly bad.

@CloakNNNdagger has Ward experienced previous concussions adding to the severity of this one? Has he suffered any recent concussions that this one is adding to the severity of the previous?
Ward has had only one other documented concussion............and that was in Nov 2016, for which he did not miss the following game.

Hit appearance does not always predict extent of concussions..............concussions are like snow flakes.............may look the same but are all somewhat different.

I've been asked why players feel Metlife Stadium turf is such an unusually hard surface.

Metlife stadium has a slit-film turf. The NFL justifies this turf because it holds up so much better than the classic monofilament turf.................something they point to as being important since the field is being used by 2 teams routinely.

Here is the difference in structure...........the slit-film turf requires much less rubber pellets...........something that adds to softness and to "give" to player's cleats. A turf that is harder lends to concussions.............a turf that does not give lends to lower extremity injuries.

Turf Fibers
Most synthetic turf is made of one of the following three fiber types:

Single-strand monofilament fibers
1. Monofilament
Single blades of fiber that stand up straight, sometimes with a thickened spine or edges to help them stand on end. Monofilament turf is the best looking turf because the blades stay upright longer. It can be great for baseball because the upright fibers lend themselves to a slower ball roll, but the nature of individual fibers means there tends to be more infill splash, so it may not be ideal for soccer.
The Verdict: Ideal for baseball, football or lacrosse.

Honeycomb-like slit film fibers

2. Slit Film
Extruded tape-like flat strands that are sliced (slit) forming a honeycomb-like fiber. Once the turf system is installed, the tops of the strands break apart (or ‘filibrate’) creating a more natural looking surface. Slit film turf holds up to high use activity better than monofilament. It tends to provide a faster ball roll and less infill splash.
The Verdict: Ideal for soccer and multi-use fields.

3. Hybrid
The best of both worlds: hybrid systems include a combination of monofilament and slit film turf fibers.
The Verdict: Great for soccer and multi-use athletic fields.

Last edited:
Man, looking at the injury report CnD put out in the injury thread, these are 2 beat up squads. Hopefully the Texans are a bit healthier and home field advantage pays off.

@CloakNNNdagger do you think Ryans being a former player will affect any of the medical decisions as far as when players return to play? By this, I mean him understanding what it's like to try and play through injury?

One reason for separate threads is so that you don't think another person has been injured every time a post is made in that thread. It's also easier to follow who has been injured and what the updates and statuses are.
Ahem, pardon me said the kettle to the pot

One reason for separate threads is so that you don't think another person has been injured every time a post is made in that thread. It's also easier to follow who has been injured and what the updates and statuses are.
Yet… this topic pops up routinely while being deleted. Yeah sure keep telling yourself it’s “easier” and “less confusing”. It’s most definitely not easier nor less confusing for me.

*shrugs*

All good. I and most of us here absolutely appreciate everyone’s efforts here regardless. Thanks to everyone.

Yet… this topic pops up routinely while being deleted. Yeah sure keep telling yourself it’s “easier” and “less confusing”. It’s most definitely not easier nor less confusing for me.

*shrugs*

All good. I and most of us here absolutely appreciate everyone’s efforts here regardless. Thanks to everyone.
Definitely not easy. You want to respond to a post in the injury thread, but it’s not easy to copy the post into the other thread.

a bit of trouble for the mods, but I don’t mind. One of the things we agreed to when we started the discussion thread. I just wish Doc would be a little more patient. We’re not always checking those threads. But when I get around to checking on the board I generally move everything I see as soon as I see it.

I saw in the injury thread report that Fant still listed as a hip injury but one of the radio heads I don't remember which one as I was punching buttons and talking to somebody also in the car, said he was at practice today. Can anybody confirm that?
Edit: thought I posted this couple of days ago but just found it as unposted.

Definitely not easy. You want to respond to a post in the injury thread, but it’s not easy to copy the post into the other thread.

a bit of trouble for the mods, but I don’t mind. One of the things we agreed to when we started the discussion thread. I just wish Doc would be a little more patient. We’re not always checking those threads. But when I get around to checking on the board I generally move everything I see as soon as I see it.
Sone sensibility. Thank you for the courtesy response.

Okay… maybe a little more patience would be helpful on CnD’s end but I also see his side on having them moved faster so people -don’t- lose the thread… which is what usually happens… a discussion begins… it’s gone on for a while… then the thread is moved and CnD starts getting antsy. I appreciate the extra legwork by you guys on that part. Just wish it wasn’t so annoying and derailing as threads disappear all the time. Man… it’s just easier to leave them alone… but I’ll shut up about it if others shut up too.

:)

You don’t have to copy and paste anything. You hit the quote button at the bottom of the post you want to address. It’s saved automatically. Go to the discussion thread and hit insert quotes at the bottom of the reply box, type your response. Post reply. Done. Pretty simple.

@CloakNNNdagger , is Nico Collins looking at possible calf surgery this offseason?
Surgery is rarely indicated for calf muscle tear treatment as the muscles do not tend to fully separate. In most cases, whatever grade, the muscle will knit back together on its own over a several weeks to even months.

If this fails to happen after 4-6 months of conservative treatment or the calf rupture is severely impacting function, an orthopedic surgeon can sew the two sections back together. But calf muscle tears do not lend themselves very well to surgical repair because muscle tissue does not hold sutures very well without some degree of tearing through the tissue...........sometimes much like trying to sew wet toilet paper.

In the case of Collins, if there was a complete tear of his calf muscle, he would not be able to practice at all. So that leaves us having to be patient as he continues conservative rehab.

CnD, I'm worried about Perryman's Achillies injury. They are shorthanded at LB and from what I've read when a guy has an injury like this, there's not only a great chance foe re-injury but a worse form of the re-injury. Tearing the damned thing?

Any thoughts or updates on Cashman?

I've been asked why delete posts in the Injury thread, rather than move them. I have moved dozens of posts from that thread a month. With some posters, the notion of posting in the discussion thread didn't sink in. So if they realize the post will be deleted in the Injury thread, maybe they will make a better effort to post in the correct thread. Again, trying to keep it fair and simple.

I've been asked why delete posts in the Injury thread, rather than move them. I have moved dozens of posts from that thread a month. With some posters, the notion of posting in the discussion thread didn't sink in. So if they realize the post will be deleted in the Injury thread, maybe they will make a better effort to post in the correct thread. Again, trying to keep it fair and simple.
LMAO

CnD, I'm worried about Perryman's Achillies injury. They are shorthanded at LB and from what I've read when a guy has an injury like this, there's not only a great chance foe re-injury but a worse form of the re-injury. Tearing the damned thing?

Any thoughts or updates on Cashman?

I'm sure he would have (or should I say should have) had an MRI to diagnose a partial tear of the Achilles. If it were positive, he would be out for at least 6-12 weeks...........and with even a partial tear in an elite player, most would recommend surgery anyway. More likely, he has developed a chronic tendonopathy. Up to 44% of players returning after an Achilles tendinopathy end up with a recurrence of the injury. Once diagnosed, rehab recommendations can be as long as 12 to 20 weeks.

I don't see any way he is productive this soon with any correct Achilles diagnosis.

Last edited:
I find it ironic keeps making rules to enhance player safety, but they apparently have no issues letting guys play on a concrete slab in NJ. If CJ was playing on a better surface, his concussion very likely wouldn’t have been as severe. And we also lost numerous other guys on that shitty surface. Heck you can barely tap a QB on the shoulder on your way by without a flag, but hey just slam his head into a piece of concrete. No problem.

someone make this duplicity and hypocrisy make sense.

I find it ironic keeps making rules to enhance player safety, but they apparently have no issues letting guys play on a concrete slab in NJ. If CJ was playing on a better surface, his concussion very likely wouldn’t have been as severe. And we also lost numerous other guys on that shitty surface. Heck you can barely tap a QB on the shoulder on your way by without a flag, but hey just slam his head into a piece of concrete. No problem.

This is what I've been trying to say.

If I was an owner none of my key players would play on that surface until they replaced it. If I had to take a L so be it. I'm not putting my investment at risk.

CJ Stroud Concussion

I just read this article this morning. I think because he hit his head so hard in MetLife that the turf vs grass issue should really be brought to the forefront. He’s missing multiple games because of this concussion. All stadiums should be switched to grass for player safety.

It's all about $$$$$$$. The owners have figured out the it is much more expensive to maintain grass vs turf..........repair/replace grass as it's worn down, every couple of weeks/months/year vs repairing and replace turf the recommended every 10-20 years. This is not even to mention the signficant cost of and difficulty of allowing different venues to be used or temporarily be converted...............grass vs turf.

BTW, the Colts and Bengals stadium still have used split film turf this season.

CJ Stroud Concussion

I just read this article this morning. I think because he hit his head so hard in MetLife that the turf vs grass issue should really be brought to the forefront. He’s missing multiple games because of this concussion. All stadiums should be switched to grass for player safety.
Plus, he got his bell rung pretty good against the Cardinals..

Understood. Fair for the collective but also unfair. I get it though. I’m just on the wrong side of the fence. It sucks because -my- biggest problem is how I’m able to view this website. It limits how I can navigate this page. Guess I’ll post less in the injury threads because they’ll continue to get deleted. Oh well.

So you're on your phone? Tapatalk? Just quote the post, copy the quoted post, exit out of the Injury thread, go to the Injury discussion thread, and paste the quoted post. I just tried that and it worked fine.

So you're on your phone? Tapatalk? Just quote the post, copy the quoted post, exit out of the Injury thread, go to the Injury discussion thread, and paste the quoted post. I just tried that and it worked fine.
Can't you just quote and then change threads and select insert quotes?

No sir. Hate tapatalk. Worst app ever. I’m on the website directly. Check my previous post history. You can most definitely see me mucking up quotes over and over and over and over. I’m talking hundreds of edits to correct my post over the past few months. I have low vision but I don’t really want to share that publicly.

Back