Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

If you could choose one player....

Irving would be the guy I like the most. Even though CnD warned us about Benson I would pick him in the 4th and hope I could get 3-4 good yrs out of him.
If he makes it to the fourth and we still have both picks there, you gotta take a punt on him - if you haven't already taken a back.

No he didn't. Green was drafted in the first round of 2022, Patterson was drafted in the 6th(?) of 2023

I was thinking Green and Deculus. He did the same with Scruggs and Patterson.

You guys should know by now to not trust my old man memory.

Battle Red Blog made a good observation that Caserio tends to double up on positions of need. He drafted Patterson in the same draft as Kenyon Green. That's why I think he drafts two DT's and gets an FA. He has two starting DT spots he wants to improve, and he wants to improve the depth.

The top 4 CB's are all worthy of 1st round status, and mocks have them going all over that round. Many have DeJean going before the Texans at 23, so I'm not expected him there. I'd say McKinstry would be the best available at that spot.

I think you mean Scruggs and Patterson - Kenyon Green was selected a year earlier (2022).

If you mustttt know.... It said, and I quote, "The one player I'd love to have is Will Anderson. Can't wait for the Ravens to get him in 4 years!!"

There. Happy? ;)
I must! I must! thanks! Hold your breath! Yes I am very happy. Now if we can just find a way to match Will Anderson with his former co-defender Dallas Turner. 🤔

No he didn't. Green was drafted in the first round of 2022, Patterson was drafted in the 6th(?) of 2023
He did double up with Scruggs and Patterson. Thankfully.

I'm thinking he saw Patterson as a value in the 6th rd

What I'm hoping doesn't happen is what happened with Kubiak. The 1st draft was awesome, the drafts after that became avg to below avg, especially outside of the 1st rd.

What about looking into Grover Stewart of the Colts? He is approximately the same age and not near the elite player that Chris Jones is but he had a pretty good year last year.
If they can't get Jones or Wilkins then they should get Stewart and re-sign Rankins/Tart. Stewart is one of the best run stoppers in the league. Not much of a pass rusher though.

Bro I never said it was all about sacks. I merely responded to your take in equal measure, ie total tackles and sacks (well those and that one dude did them in half as many games).

That said I've no desire to try and tear down Chris Jones as he's terrific, one of the top few defensive players in the league and I'd love to have him on the Texans. But I also don't see any reason to bag on Madubuike as he's damn good in his own right and he'd make an excellent addition to our d-line as well. And if you look at their stats on a game by game basis ever since either player crossed the threshold of ~70% of snaps/game in the postseason you'd find that Madubuike stacks up pretty evenly, and in several measures better, than Jones.

Bottom line though is that no offseason moves are made in a vacuum. All things being equal I'd snap my fingers and have Jones join our squad. But taking into account age, contract numbers, desire to leave their current team vs join ours, etc Madubuike might not be just a kickass consolation prize but the more reasonable overall FA target. But that's much more a job for Nick and DeMeco to decide than a couple of internet badasses like ourselves so fingers crossed one way or another they get us one step closer to the promised with either guy.

Not calling Madubuike bad or overrated but of course his stats would be better in some categories. Jones gets doubled 70% of the snaps. Madu doesn’t because he benefited from an all around defense & great d line. Ig we should target him I mean jones will probably be a chief again

Not calling Madubuike bad or overrated but of course his stats would be better in some categories. Jones gets doubled 70% of the snaps. Madu doesn’t because he benefited from an all around defense & great d line. Ig we should target him I mean jones will probably be a chief again
For the money give me Grover Stewart over Justin.

For the money give me Grover Stewart over Justin.

Stewart is extremely underrated. I expect him and Rankins to get similar contracts in FA. I’d sign Stewart over Rankins. Gives the run defense a massive boost whereas Rankins and Collins are similar players.

Then draft a guy like Newton in the first and you’ve got Collins/Stewart/Newton. That’s a very good DT rotation.

I’d also re-sign Khalil Davis and have him compete with Hinish for DT4. I liked what I saw out of Davis in a rotational role last season. I wouldn’t mind Hinish at DT4 but I don’t want him getting 40% of the snaps as DT3 like he’s gotten both years of his career. Have him compete with Davis or a similar vet minimum type player for that last roster spot.

Stewart is extremely underrated. I expect him and Rankins to get similar contracts in FA. I’d sign Stewart over Rankins. Gives the run defense a massive boost whereas Rankins and Collins are similar players.

Then draft a guy like Newton in the first and you’ve got Collins/Stewart/Newton. That’s a very good DT rotation.

I’d also re-sign Khalil Davis and have him compete with Hinish for DT4. I liked what I saw out of Davis in a rotational role last season. I wouldn’t mind Hinish at DT4 but I don’t want him getting 40% of the snaps as DT3 like he’s gotten both years of his career. Have him compete with Davis or a similar vet minimum type player for that last roster spot.
I would sign both Stewart and Rankins, trade Collins and save 6 mil from trading Collins so that it would only cost 5 mil or so to sign Stewart. Then I would draft Newton, provided that Thomas/Mitchell aren't on the board.

If they can't get Jones or Wilkins then they should get Stewart and re-sign Rankins/Tart. Stewart is one of the best run stoppers in the league. Not much of a pass rusher though.
I wonder if they have seen enough of Tart to offer him a minimum one year deal? I like what little I did see of him.

I was not expecting Hinish or players like LB Hansen to be on roster.

I wonder if they have seen enough of Tart to offer him a minimum one year deal? I like what little I did see of him.
I've seen enough of him with the Inbrdes to know that he can be a run stuffer and he gets a little penetration when pass rushing.

I would sign both Stewart and Rankins, trade Collins and save 6 mil from trading Collins so that it would only cost 5 mil or so to sign Stewart. Then I would draft Newton, provided that Thomas/Mitchell aren't on the board.
Just to clarify, trading Collins pre June 1st creates a savings of $3.5 million and a post June 1st would save slightly twice that but would probably be an issue with bringing on the other cap space [draft & FA] we will have. Malik Collins was just extended in June of 2023 if I remember correctly; we would have to eat at minimum $10 million and I just don't see Caserio being willing to do that after extending him but I do understand your thoughts.

Tart was signed day before we played Browns. Did play in last two. I think the plan is to see how he does this preseason and then make a decision.

Is Tart under contract? I thought he was a FA, but not 100% sure.

Is Tart under contract? I thought he was a FA, but not 100% sure.
Sorry I should have clarified. He was signed for the rest of the 2023 season but I do expect him to be brought in with others for a trial on a very small contract.

Guys, neither Devin Singletary nor Dameon Pierce have suddenly forgotten how to run .... we simply have the worst offensive line in the league !!
I don't see FO making any big moves for the line so here's hoping they get and stay healthy and CJ makes them look better.
Perhaps the sophomores and underdone guys can take that next step up.
Yeah, some ifs, buts and maybes there, but surely they must get some continuity?!
I heard yesterday they were ranked right around the middle of the pack so there is a glimmer of hope.

Everything I read including off this message board, indicates that pierce does not know how to run in this offense.
Slowik has to do a better job scheming for the run game - last season he got giddy with CJ and was majoring on the passing game.
I'm sure he realizes he must get the ground game going as well now.

His current average, that I could find, is 2.88. Now I'm sure he will get faster as he gets but Mahomes averages 2.5+ all the time and is frequently over 3 seconds. Now granted he moves a lot more than Stroud but average of 2.5 is literally Tom Brady level. If he can continue to throw pin point bullets like he has been I don't think the line giving him that extra .5 is to much to ask. Part of it also is that it took time for WR to run their routes, with Dell having a year of experience and maybe bringing in a high level WR I'm hoping that gets the number down to.

I agree that having an elite RB is more a luxury than a must have but frankly its a luxury we can afford. We already have QB, LT, Edge and WR so the key pieces are there. Yeah we could use another person on defense to line up opposite Anderson and I would love an elite WR but we have the money and a decent draft pick that we could have all of the above. What helps us is exactly what you are saying that the RB position is not valued near like it was so we could get one for relatively cheap.
Great post!
To the highlighted part, you could add Stingley and at a pinch, Christian Harris.
Keep adding young lions at key positions and the team will rock - and I see a top notch RB as another piece that will force defenses to scheme for giving opposing DCs headaches.

I've seen enough of him with the Inbrdes to know that he can be a run stuffer and he gets a little penetration when pass rushing.
That's the beauty of upgrades along the line - everybody gets more opportunities and they all look better.
I reckon with upgrades along that Dline, we could keep the secondary we have now intact and they too would benefit with familiarity as well as less threats from the passing game.

That's the beauty of upgrades along the line - everybody gets more opportunities and they all look better.
I reckon with upgrades along that Dline, we could keep the secondary we have now intact and they too would benefit with familiarity as well as less threats from the passing game.
I hope they go BPA.

Love Newton don't want to draft him at 1-23. Foot injury bothers me and there will be really good players available at 1-23 that are healthy.

I hope they go BPA.

Love Newton don't want to draft him at 1-23. Foot injury bothers me and there will be really good players available at 1-23 that are healthy.
Morning steel!
I'm concerned about losing Greenard - and I wouldn't blame FO if they let him walk.
This immediately prioritizes a pass rusher at #23 as I can't see them paying someone else to do the same job.
I really don't want Latu due to his neck injury and I have really warmed to Darius Robinson.
#23 is a tad high for him but if he can produce at or near Greenards last season, it won't be high at all.
With WA and Robinson bookending our line, we will be in good shape for years to come.
Chop R could be the other option @23.

^^^^

I trust Ryans on defensive picks.

BTW, did you notice Max Melton blew up the Combine yesterday? I still have hopes he falls to 2-59. He's going to be a long time starter in the league.
Haven't paid much attention to the Combine - but I would be interested to see how Josh Newton TCU went.

^^^^

I trust Ryans on defensive picks.

BTW, did you notice Max Melton blew up the Combine yesterday? I still have hopes he falls to 2-59. He's going to be a long time starter in the league.

I like Melton and Sainristil as potential nickels. Get a high end CB. Whether they play inside or outside it’ll make things a lot easier with Stingley locking down his assignment. Ideally re-sign Nelson if you get one of these guys with 2-59.

Singletary did fairly well with Slowik scheming...

Was listening to one of the sports talk shows and they said that the Texans lost 85 games on the OL due to injury. Something like the next closest was 70 games. And RB1 ended up not being a good fit for this scheme, forcing RB2 to be a bellcow that he could never be.

I don't think we have enough data to know if Slowik schemes well for the running game or not. But yeah to your point, Motor had 700 yards at 4.5 YPC in the last nine games of the season. Given the above injury and RB situation, I would lean towards Slow knows what he is doing.

Yeah, but could be better and I think they will fix that this off-season - either with a new Lineman or better scheme for that OLine.
And another back and probably another TE of course.
Listen to McAfee with Schultz on McAfee's podcast, there's nothing wrong with the scheme. Just need better health. Although blocking TE that could compliment Schultz would open up the outside zone runs.

Tip Reiman is my guy. 6'5 271lbs and runs a 4.64 40. He also has good hands. Very underrated guy. If he had played on a better team with a better QB he would be in the running for TE2. IMHO

Last edited:
I have confidence that Demeco and co. can make it work - he is much more boom than bust
How? He not a good football player he is a great athlete. Maybe in the second round but he would be a huge gamble in the first. This would be just like Jacksonville taking Walker. I would rather trade up and take Latu than stand pat and draft Chop.

How? He not a good football player he is a great athlete. Maybe in the second round but he would be a huge gamble in the first. This would be just like Jacksonville taking Walker. I would rather trade up and take Latu than stand pat and draft Chop.
So was Travon Walker and they didn't have Demeco and co.
Don't want Latu. That neck injury scares the hell outa me.
Would prefer Darius Robinson over him.

You do realize that Walker ended up with 10 sacks last yr?with this said, give me Latu. I do like Robinson's potential if Ryans signs off on him.

Back