Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

If you could choose one player....

of course it wont be, 1/2 our line was injured and out before the season began...our coaching staff patched worked a lot of guys together and somehow made it work with a revolving door at multiple oline positions.
Yep and what I saw of Patterson before he went out was he can be a starting center. I do expect Scruggs to be the center going forward and Patterson at left guard. I do think it will still be a slightly average or better line due to the two rookies and depending on who is at right tackle. That could be enough if we get a solid running back. I still lean towards Schultz returning.

Yep, he's proven himself in the NFL to be a guy who plays hard. I'm not spending high draft picks on Clemson guys.

If Shipley and O were available I might take a chance on them depending on whose on the board. Look at all of the busts Like Dodds/Farrell etc... as well as underperformers such as Lawrence/Derrick etc... Clemson guys are also known for skipping out on practices regularly. I dont want this in the Texans locker room again after they've worked so hard to rebuild the culture of the org that the Clemson trash previously ruined. Pass
But you will take those Bama oline bust? What about the Ohio St qb busts? The air raid qb busts? Scout the player,not the helmet. Ruke and Shipley are 2nd,maybe 3rd picks.

But you will take those Bama oline bust? What about the Ohio St qb busts? The air raid qb busts? Scout the player,not the helmet. Ruke and Shipley are 2nd,maybe 3rd picks.
I don't like the people at Clemson and wouldn't invest heavily in them.

Justin Madubuike

This would be my pick over Chris Jones, though it's his age and not skill. My only concern is that some of his production may have been due to the massive amount of talent on the Ravens' defensive line. But assuming the scouts believe his production would stay the same, I wouldn't mind drafting someone like Sweat in the first round, and resigning Greenard and Rankins.

Having a line of Greenard, Sweat, Madubuike, and Anderson would create one of the best DLs in the league. The one area where I think this team could improve is pass-rushing to close out games.

This would be my pick over Chris Jones, though it's his age and not skill. My only concern is that some of his production may have been due to the massive amount of talent on the Ravens' defensive line. But assuming the scouts believe his production would stay the same, I wouldn't mind drafting someone like Sweat in the first round, and resigning Greenard and Rankins.

Having a line of Greenard, Sweat, Madubuike, and Anderson would create one of the best DLs in the league. The one area where I think this team could improve is pass-rushing to close out games.
who would cost more Chris Jones or Madubuike? And with Madubuike being 3 yrs younger...would you be willing to pay that price difference and premium?? Id be all for it if the cost isnt outrageous...but Id take either one. Sweat would be nice for interior or M. Murphy in the draft for edge. Either one of those draft picks would tremendously improve our Dline

Chris Jones on Chris Jones's desired free agency signing location

will be hard for the chiefs to keep those players with the contracts they have given out....mahomes restructuring last year will help....but I dont see them keeping both unless they give discounts for the chance for another ring

He was intoxicated and standing right with Mahomes after winning a Super Bowl. His agent quickly contradicted him.
The alcohol was truth serum. Jones should not have said that in public for contract talk reasons, but there really isn't a better gig than the Chiefs for him. We can hope that KC insults him financially, but really even money whipping Jones might not be enough

Reactions: JB
The alcohol was truth serum. Jones should not have said that in public for contract talk reasons, but there really isn't a better gig than the Chiefs for him. We can hope that KC insults him financially, but really even money whipping Jones might not be enough
No reason for him to leave unless KC insults him

Yes its a beautiful thing. Now if only members of this board would stop trying to trade Tunsil. :kitten:
I agree, it's false, starting to talk about trading him. He would definitely leave to early.

As for who I want realistically I dont really have a set oerson in mind but I do believe an upgrade at RB does the most good. Helping both sides, pressure off CJ and ability to rest your D when needed.

Plenty of players could upgrade, but the "realistic" options are fewer.

Last edited:
No he's not but Stroud makes defenses pay when they try to blitz him if the line gives him just 3 seconds. I don't think you are going to see to many teams trying it and will see more teams trying to stop the pass at the receiver. Thats where an elite RB makes thing dangerous because now you also have to commit guys to stopping that as well. They can't cover everyone.
It's hard to get 3 seconds when the defense isn't blitzing. He needs to get it out on average at 2.5 seconds. A QB with elite processing and great having great play calling will take you further than an elite RB during a blitz. Having an elite RB is a great thing to have but is not a must have in today's NFL.

who would cost more Chris Jones or Madubuike? And with Madubuike being 3 yrs younger...would you be willing to pay that price difference and premium?? Id be all for it if the cost isnt outrageous...but Id take either one. Sweat would be nice for interior or M. Murphy in the draft for edge. Either one of those draft picks would tremendously improve our Dline

I expect Chris Jones to make slightly more, but I view him as a "one last piece" type of player for an established team trying for a push to the SB. Madubuike is young enough to still be a core player for an up-and-coming team.

I expect Chris Jones to make slightly more, but I view him as a "one last piece" type of player for an established team trying for a push to the SB. Madubuike is young enough to still be a core player for an up-and-coming team.
You don't think Chris Jones could play until 33 or 34? That is a four or five year contract.

On offense I’m going with S. Barkley. He will be our CMC. Remember he couldn’t stay healthy in North Carolina but in San Francisco he’s been healthy.

On defense I’m going with Patrick Queen. He would make that defense tremendously better.
Good as CMC is & I do love him, I hope we set our sites on a Marshall Faulk.

1708094352544.png

It's hard to get 3 seconds when the defense isn't blitzing. He needs to get it out on average at 2.5 seconds. A QB with elite processing and great having great play calling will take you further than an elite RB during a blitz. Having an elite RB is a great thing to have but is not a must have in today's NFL.

His current average, that I could find, is 2.88. Now I'm sure he will get faster as he gets but Mahomes averages 2.5+ all the time and is frequently over 3 seconds. Now granted he moves a lot more than Stroud but average of 2.5 is literally Tom Brady level. If he can continue to throw pin point bullets like he has been I don't think the line giving him that extra .5 is to much to ask. Part of it also is that it took time for WR to run their routes, with Dell having a year of experience and maybe bringing in a high level WR I'm hoping that gets the number down to.

I agree that having an elite RB is more a luxury than a must have but frankly its a luxury we can afford. We already have QB, LT, Edge and WR so the key pieces are there. Yeah we could use another person on defense to line up opposite Anderson and I would love an elite WR but we have the money and a decent draft pick that we could have all of the above. What helps us is exactly what you are saying that the RB position is not valued near like it was so we could get one for relatively cheap.

He actually had 9 total tackles and .5 sacks in 2 playoff games.

But compared to the 8 total tackles and .5 sacks in 4 playoff games from the guy you just amen'd.. that all of a sudden doesn't look all that bad.

you left out the force fumble in the Miami game and the key pressures in the 9ers one. It’s not all about sacks. He showed up on the most important play to stop the 9ers from winning. Chris Jones is a baller in the playoffs and regular season. Can’t say the same about the other guy.

Exactly! And thank you for sharing I know it took a lot to come up with that.

😉

If you mustttt know.... It said, and I quote, "The one player I'd love to have is Will Anderson. Can't wait for the Ravens to get him in 4 years!!"

There. Happy? ;)

I'm convinced Caserio will be getting at least two new starting DT's and drafting a third for depth. One starter will come from FA and the other from the draft. I expect to take a CB in the 1st and a DT in the 2nd.

This also means he likely won't draft a WR in early rounds, so he'll sign one. Boyd from the Bengals would be a decent value. We do need another field stretcher to draw defenders, so Caserio may look to Hutchinson to improve and be the regular Z route runner. He showed promise.

At CB, we got lucky with Stingley and Nelson remaining healthy almost all season. Can't bet on that two seasons in a row. We need a third who will be Nelson's eventual replacement.

The D-line lost almost every short yardage battle in 2023, especially goal lines. We need to plug that hole.

I'm convinced Caserio will be getting at least two new starting DT's and drafting a third for depth. One starter will come from FA and the other from the draft. I expect to take a CB in the 1st and a DT in the 2nd.

This also means he likely won't draft a WR in early rounds, so he'll sign one. Boyd from the Bengals would be a decent value. We do need another field stretcher to draw defenders, so Caserio may look to Hutchinson to improve and be the regular Z route runner. He showed promise.

At CB, we got lucky with Stingley and Nelson remaining healthy almost all season. Can't bet on that two seasons in a row. We need a third who will be Nelson's eventual replacement.

The D-line lost almost every short yardage battle in 2023, especially goal lines. We need to plug that hole.
I could see them bringing back Rankins and getting a top tier FA DT.

Wilkins/Rankins/Collins/Tart/Davis/Hinish is a pretty deep group.

Who do you like at CB at 1-23? DeJohn/Rakestraw/McKinstry will probably be there.

There's a chance they could just pick the best S on the board. I think Nubin would be a great pick.

you left out the force fumble in the Miami game and the key pressures in the 9ers one. It’s not all about sacks. He showed up on the most important play to stop the 9ers from winning. Chris Jones is a baller in the playoffs and regular season. Can’t say the same about the other guy.

Bro I never said it was all about sacks. I merely responded to your take in equal measure, ie total tackles and sacks (well those and that one dude did them in half as many games).

That said I've no desire to try and tear down Chris Jones as he's terrific, one of the top few defensive players in the league and I'd love to have him on the Texans. But I also don't see any reason to bag on Madubuike as he's damn good in his own right and he'd make an excellent addition to our d-line as well. And if you look at their stats on a game by game basis ever since either player crossed the threshold of ~70% of snaps/game in the postseason you'd find that Madubuike stacks up pretty evenly, and in several measures better, than Jones.

Bottom line though is that no offseason moves are made in a vacuum. All things being equal I'd snap my fingers and have Jones join our squad. But taking into account age, contract numbers, desire to leave their current team vs join ours, etc Madubuike might not be just a kickass consolation prize but the more reasonable overall FA target. But that's much more a job for Nick and DeMeco to decide than a couple of internet badasses like ourselves so fingers crossed one way or another they get us one step closer to the promised land with either guy.

Who do you like at CB at 1-23? DeJohn/Rakestraw/McKinstry will probably be there.

There's a chance they could just pick the best S on the board. I think Nubin would be a great pick.

Battle Red Blog made a good observation that Caserio tends to double up on positions of need. He drafted Patterson in the same draft as Kenyon Green. That's why I think he drafts two DT's and gets an FA. He has two starting DT spots he wants to improve, and he wants to improve the depth.

The top 4 CB's are all worthy of 1st round status, and mocks have them going all over that round. Many have DeJean going before the Texans at 23, so I'm not expected him there. I'd say McKinstry would be the best available at that spot.

Last edited:

De John is intriguing as is Kool aid. Not so sure about Rakestraw yet.
Liking Nubin a lot - he would add a real element of danger to passing offenses.

Back