Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

If you could choose one player....

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
That we can realistically add to the team this off-season, who would it be? What one player acquisition do you think would add the most to our team?

Could be acquired or brought in by any means. If its a player trade it would need to be someone at least suspected of being available.

Just one Caveat...The player would need to make an immediate impact, and have a least a 3 year outlook of being highly successful.

Who is your guy (if you have one) that you absolutely want the Texans to go after this off season?

Mine would be controversial as far as the possibility of a trade. Some say no way Eagles will trade AJ Brown but that was what was being said before the Eagles traded for AJ Brown. He has done nothing to shut down several rumors. I think that a very reasonable trade very similar to what the Eagles gave up for him could be offered to get him by houston. Immediately becomes number one wide receiver and a playmaker that scores.
Last two years knocking on the door of 1500 yd for the season. A player of his status makes everyone else around him improve and that is exactly what we need.

That we can realistically add to the team this off-season, who would it be? What one player acquisition do you think would add the most to our team?

Could be acquired or brought in by any means. If its a player trade it would need to be someone at least suspected of being available.

Just one Caveat...The player would need to make an immediate impact, and have a least a 3 year outlook of being highly successful.

Who is your guy (if you have one) that you absolutely want the Texans to go after this off season?

Josh Jacobs..just as effective as Saquan imo without the injury history. Would also probably be cheaper than Saquan too.

Get it done Nick

Last edited:
C'mon man, stop with the non sense. Weren't you the campaign manager for Wilkins?
Yep, he's proven himself in the NFL to be a guy who plays hard. I'm not spending high draft picks on Clemson guys.

If Shipley and O were available I might take a chance on them depending on whose on the board. Look at all of the busts Like Dodds/Farrell etc... as well as underperformers such as Lawrence/Derrick etc... Clemson guys are also known for skipping out on practices regularly. I dont want this in the Texans locker room again after they've worked so hard to rebuild the culture of the org that the Clemson trash previously ruined. Pass

From free agency, I want Josh Jacobs - CJ needs a reliable outlet against good rushing attacks.
From the draft, JerZhan Newton (I'm assuming these are doable options).

Saquon Barkley

Immediately makes the run game a threat to defenses add that to CJ being such a surgical passer that defenses have to play man and you make it very hard to deal with both. He's wanted away from the Giants for a couple of seasons now and if they tag him its going to cost more than his estimated market value so the only reason to do that is that you have no one else that your fans care about.

Same with Josh Jacobs but I just don't realistically see raiders letting him walk.

Chris Jones (or the other two top interior DLmen). The combination of hard to replace and impact even when they are not stat compiling. Jones influenced multiple plays in the passing and running game in the Super bowl. My issue with him is that he has no reason to leave Kansas City outside of being money whipped or KC lowballing a contract.

DT- Chris Jones and draft a DE
-or-
DE- Josh Allen and draft a DT

I keep wondering how much better Singletary will be with a new RT and healthy OL. He did an amazing job after finally securing the starting job and running behind a really crap OL. So it stands to reason that he only gets better when the OL gets better. I don't think many of UFA RB's we are clamoring for turn in better results last season.

Saquon Barkley

Immediately makes the run game a threat to defenses add that to CJ being such a surgical passer that defenses have to play man and you make it very hard to deal with both. He's wanted away from the Giants for a couple of seasons now and if they tag him its going to cost more than his estimated market value so the only reason to do that is that you have no one else that your fans care about.

Same with Josh Jacobs but I just don't realistically see raiders letting him walk.

Jacobs & Barkley are literally in the same position team support wise (no QB) and contract situation wise… but Barkley is the more explosive guy So Me thinks it’s the other way around…..IOW, I don’t see the giants letting Barkley walk. Also, if the Raiders choose to franchise tag Jacobs again they’ll owe him 14 mil for that 1 year vs. the giants owing Barkley just 12. IOW, Jacob’s would likely be the guy whose estimated value would be exceeded if they chose to franchise him again, not Barkley. There was real beef with him & the Raiders last year b/c they didn’t pick up his 5th year option. My gut says he just as ready to get out of there as Barkley is with the Giants.

-or-

I keep wondering how much better Singletary will be with a new RT and healthy OL. He did an amazing job after finally securing the starting job and running behind a really crap OL. So it stands to reason that he only gets better when the OL gets better. I don't think many of UFA RB's we are clamoring for turn in better results last season.

You need a guy who runs hard and who has the ability to push the pile and be able to break some tackles and run against 8 man fronts from time to time……Singletary ain’t none of that. He’s a 3rd down guy.

-or-

He did have some good games when the line was decent - be nice if we could get him a partner in crime to raise this run game to the next level.

You need a guy who runs hard and who has the ability to push the pile and be able to break some tackles and run against 8 man fronts from time to time……Singletary ain’t none of that. He’s a 3rd down guy.

898 YDS on a 4.2 AVG isn't shabby. He also caught 30 of his 38 targets for another 193 YDS. I believe the Pierce experiment lasted for about 2+ games before Singletary got the reins, otherwise He probably goes for a 1,000+ yards on the season.

I wouldn't hesitate to add a Jacobs or Barkley and draft Jaylin Wright (TN) to complete the reconfigured RB room. In my book, Jacobs and Barkley would have every opportunity to take the starting job away from Singletary b/c he absolutely earned it this past season.

Last edited:
-or-

Singletary is who he is… and 800-900 yard back. Not a bad thing. Solid but not a difference maker. Kind of like a game manager QB.

I want a difference maker at RB.

898 YDS on a 4.2 AVG isn't shabby. He also caught 30 of his 38 targets for another 193 YDS. I believe the Pierce experiment lasted for about 2+ games before Singletary got the reins, otherwise He probably goes for a 1,000+ yards on the season.

I wouldn't hesitate to add a Jacobs or Barkley and draft Jaylin Wright (TN) to complete the reconfigured RB room. In my book, Jacobs and Barkley would have every opportunity to take the starting job away from Singletary b/c he absolutely earned this past season.

that’s actually not great when u consider that we play 17 games and he had a competent QB who was capable of taking the pressure off of him with the passing game b/c he obviously wasn’t the focal point of what defenses were trying to stop……Most teams went into games feeling like they could combat him with only a 4 man front…..Unlike Jacobs who put up pretty much the same numbers while actually being the focal point of the offense b/c he had no competent qb to speak of. Put up 116 yds against that jets defense…110 against KC’s defense. Singletary’s best games came against the worst teams on our schedule.

The run game needs to be able to stand on its own when teams start dropping extra guys to combat CJ & You need a workhorse/potential game breaker RB for that…Singletary’s just not that guy.

Singletary is who he is… and 800-900 yard back. Not a bad thing. Solid but not a difference maker. Kind of like a game manager QB.

I want a difference maker at RB.

Re-sign Singletary, sign Jacob or Barkley, and draft Jaylen Wright (TN) and you would have your desired “difference maker” in the house.

Last edited:
perhaps but if Stroud sees an eight-man front, I think he is not going to be handing off.

Jacobs & Barkley are literally in the same position team support wise (no QB) and contract situation wise… but Barkley is the more explosive guy So Me thinks it’s the other way around…..IOW, I don’t see the giants letting Barkley walk. Also, if the Raiders choose to franchise tag Jacobs again they’ll owe him 14 mil for that 1 year vs. the giants owing Barkley just 12. IOW, Jacob’s would likely be the guy whose estimated value would be exceeded if they chose to franchise him again, not Barkley. There was real beef with him & the Raiders last year b/c they didn’t pick up his 5th year option. My gut says he just as ready to get out of there as Barkley is with the Giants.

True except the Raiders just moved to a new city so they will want to make a splash and overall they have a better team than the Giants so they may feel they are a QB away from a real shot and want to keep as much of last year's team together as possible. I agree with you though its a toss up and either of them would make our run game much more dangerous.

Re-sign Singletary, sign Jacob or Barkley, and draft Jaylen Wright (TN) and you would have your desired “difference maker”.
Even more so if Wright can hit the low four threes as projected and if he is there in round five. Knowing Caserio, we will end up with at least one 5th before he is finished.

perhaps but if Stroud sees an eight-man front, I think he is not going to be handing off.

No he's not but Stroud makes defenses pay when they try to blitz him if the line gives him just 3 seconds. I don't think you are going to see to many teams trying it and will see more teams trying to stop the pass at the receiver. Thats where an elite RB makes thing dangerous because now you also have to commit guys to stopping that as well. They can't cover everyone.

No he's not but Stroud makes defenses pay when they try to blitz him if the line gives him just 3 seconds. I don't think you are going to see to many teams trying it and will see more teams trying to stop the pass at the receiver. Thats where an elite RB makes thing dangerous because now you also have to commit guys to stopping that as well. They can't cover everyone.
There are just so many ways this offense could go and that is before we add any players this offseason.

Guys, neither Devin Singletary nor Dameon Pierce have suddenly forgotten how to run .... we simply have the worst offensive line in the league !!

Actually if this site is to be beleaved we were slightly below average and considering the patch work the line was thats actually pretty good.

And they may not have forgotten how to run but they haven't exactly lite the world on fire with their running either.

Guys, neither Devin Singletary nor Dameon Pierce have suddenly forgotten how to run .... we simply have the worst offensive line in the league !!
Everything I read including off this message board, indicates that pierce does not know how to run in this offense.

That’s a lot of capital tied up in 1 position tho. I’d just get Jacobs/Barkley…see if we can resign Singletsry to a very team friendly deal..if not, THEN go get Wright.
you say that that is a lot of capital tied up in one position, however the majority of that capital would be in the two veterans and the rookie probable fifth rounder would not be anything but peanut money. Not sure I understand your position?

Back