Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ideal Offseason Scenario

If the Texans are certain that they don't see a 20M per year payday in Clowney's future, then they should think long and hard about the tag and play they'd likely utilize. If Clowney takes that as an insult versus rewarding him, he could pull a Bell, now that the precedent has been set.

If The Texans don't like the numbers being presented by Clowney and his agent, they'd be fools not to, at a minimum, actively look at what his potential trade value could return to the team.

Of course, he's not going to be attractive to every team in the NFL but all it takes is one to step forward with an acceptable offer.....and, if Clowney is available, there will be a market for his services, to think otherwise would make me question why anyone would want to tag and pay him next season.

If the Texans are certain that they don't see a 20M per year payday in Clowney's future, then they should think long and hard about the tag and play they'd likely utilize. If Clowney takes that as an insult versus rewarding him, he could pull a Bell, now that the precedent has been set.

If The Texans don't like the numbers being presented by Clowney and his agent, they'd be fools not to, at a minimum, actively look at what his potential trade value could return to the team.

Of course, he's not going to be attractive to every team in the NFL but all it takes is one to step forward with an acceptable offer.....and, if Clowney is available, there will be a market for his services, to think otherwise would make me question why anyone would want to tag and pay him next season.

You can't trade him if you don't tag him? Not sure of your point...

lol the player disgruntled with his contract sitting out precedent was set long before Bell did it. Riggins did it in '80 with the Redskins. If anything Bell might be a cautionary tale to avoid doing it as most think his value got hurt with the emergence of Conner in the same offense

They could use the transition tag vs franchise tag. Look, Clowney is a good football player. If you go back before the draft, I thought he would be what he is right now. He will never be a top flight pass rusher because he can't bend. He's a really good run defender when he stays disciplined. You can replace him with a better pass rusher who might not be as good vs the run or vice versa. His agent value vs team value is going to go

lol the player disgruntled with his contract sitting out precedent was set long before Bell did it. Riggins did it in '80 with the Redskins. If anything Bell might be a cautionary tale to avoid doing it as most think his value got hurt with the emergence of Conner in the same offense

I used it only as a current reference....that's all........but, since you mentioned that Bell has probably hurt his value, what monetary value have you put on this assessment? Hell, if it has dropped as you speculated, then I'd expect Gaine to explore the options of making him the Texans primary RB for 2019 since he could be an affordable asset, especially with an improved OL.

Let's make a few smart moves:

1. Bump Devlin to Asst HC or OC
2. Hire suddenly available OL Coach Dave Guglielmo (Colts OL Coach)
3. Sign UFA RB, LeVeon Bell, since his value has diminished somewhat thus making him more affordable.
4. Possibly draft; RT/OC- Risner, OT- Dillard, and LT- Hyatt

Four moves that could re-write the Texans offensive landscape.

I used it only as a current reference....that's all........but, since you mentioned that Bell has probably hurt his value, what monetary value have you put on this assessment? Hell, if it has dropped as you speculated, then I'd expect Gaine to explore the options of making him the Texans primary RB for 2019 since he could be an affordable asset, especially with an improved OL.

Let's make a few smart moves:

1. Bump Devlin to Asst HC or OC
2. Hire suddenly available OL Coach Dave Guglielmo (Colts OL Coach)
3. Sign UFA RB, LeVeon Bell, since his value has diminished somewhat thus making him more affordable.
4. Possibly draft; RT/OC- Risner, OT- Dillard, and LT- Hyatt

Four moves that could re-write the Texans offensive landscape.

I'm just saying the talking heads have speculated that Bell's value has diminished as his replacement played just as well as he did in the same situation. Whether or not that holds to be true we will find out in a few short months.

On your other points, please just get rid of Devlin don't promote him to any role where he can influence our team in any way. Preferably just fire him...
2. I'm cautious on Guglielmo honestly, he seems to have a very brash personality and Idk how good of a line coach he actually is. Yes the Colts line saw a major turn around, but they added 2 high round picks to it leaving them with 4 top 40 picks on their line. Hard to tell if it was coaching or just talent influx that caused the turn around. But what is telling is under the 2 seasons with Guglielmo, Brady was hit some of the most times in his career, leading Guglielmo to being fired from the Pats and them begging Scarnecchia to come out of retirement and he almost immediately turned their line around. Obviously the preferred option here would have been Munchak, but he had already decided before that he didn't want to be apart of O'Brien's staff
3. I have no problem with signing Bell say if it's for a kind of deal we gave Lamar Miller, $8ish a year with an easy out for the team after 2 years. I don't think he will sign for that though as I don't think his value diminished that much. But signing an almost 30, injury prone back who just took the year off and is 1 substance violation away from a year suspension makes me not want to offer him the $10+ he will most likely want.
4. YES please draft all the lineman, sprinkle in some corners sure but I'm hoping this off season we get 4 new lineman from the draft and FA. Not saying all 4 have to be starters come game 1, but just some new guys to help add talent and create competition.

I'm just saying the talking heads have speculated that Bell's value has diminished as his replacement played just as well as he did in the same situation. Whether or not that holds to be true we will find out in a few short months.

On your other points, please just get rid of Devlin don't promote him to any role where he can influence our team in any way. Preferably just fire him...
2. I'm cautious on Guglielmo honestly, he seems to have a very brash personality and Idk how good of a line coach he actually is. Yes the Colts line saw a major turn around, but they added 2 high round picks to it leaving them with 4 top 40 picks on their line. Hard to tell if it was coaching or just talent influx that caused the turn around. But what is telling is under the 2 seasons with Guglielmo, Brady was hit some of the most times in his career, leading Guglielmo to being fired from the Pats and them begging Scarnecchia to come out of retirement and he almost immediately turned their line around. Obviously the preferred option here would have been Munchak, but he had already decided before that he didn't want to be apart of O'Brien's staff
3. I have no problem with signing Bell say if it's for a kind of deal we gave Lamar Miller, $8ish a year with an easy out for the team after 2 years. I don't think he will sign for that though as I don't think his value diminished that much. But signing an almost 30, injury prone back who just took the year off and is 1 substance violation away from a year suspension makes me not want to offer him the $10+ he will most likely want.
4. YES please draft all the lineman, sprinkle in some corners sure but I'm hoping this off season we get 4 new lineman from the draft and FA. Not saying all 4 have to be starters come game 1, but just some new guys to help add talent and create competition.

We're essentially on the same page. I think this past season would prove that the addition of one veteran FA OT, two to three OT's and adding an affordable LeVeon Bell could really help turn this offense around. An improved OL and Bell will command defensive attention far better than an improved OL and Miller carrying the ball. I think pairing Bell and Foreman could be good for both RB's not to mention OB's offensive scheme.

DG did a great job with the young OL in Indy. Maybe his gruff style didn't play well with the veterans in NE or their offensive scheme. To be honest, the Texans OL should be getting much younger after this draft and his style might actually work with OB's....especially if he can get the OL to perform along the lines of the Colts young OL. If the Texans did nothing more than move Devlin up (don't think OB has it in him to fire his arse) add (5) OL and CB's, then sprinkle in a WR and EDGE player via this draft, it could be a solid draft.....especially if they add a veteran LT, RB and CB in FA.

We're essentially on the same page. I think this past season would prove that the addition of one veteran FA OT, two to three OT's and adding an affordable LeVeon Bell could really help turn this offense around. An improved OL and Bell will command defensive attention far better than an improved OL and Miller carrying the ball. I think pairing Bell and Foreman could be good for both RB's not to mention OB's offensive scheme.

DG did a great job with the young OL in Indy. Maybe his gruff style didn't play well with the veterans in NE or their offensive scheme. To be honest, the Texans OL should be getting much younger after this draft and his style might actually work with OB's....especially if he can get the OL to perform along the lines of the Colts young OL. If the Texans did nothing more than move Devlin up (don't think OB has it in him to fire his arse) add (5) OL and CB's, then sprinkle in a WR and EDGE player via this draft, it could be a solid draft.....especially if they add a veteran LT, RB and CB in FA.

Well I don't know how much younger they can get, they went into the season as the 2nd youngest only to Dallas but after the Henderson injury we became the youngest. I fully expect come draft day Williams, Cajuste, and Little to be off the board by the time we pick so unless there is still a top corner available I want us to grab a plug and play RT like Edwards or Risner. Hoping with an offseason at the position Rankin can push, and over take Kelemente for the starting LG spot. Have Kelemente go back to the 6th OL roll he had with the Saints, nothing against him I just don't think his ceiling is very high compared to a Rankins. I want us to sign a starting LT like Trent Brown or Donovan Smith as they would be an immediate upgrade and then you could take a LT prospect a little later to groom under them. But I have a sneaky feeling that Davenport is a Devlin pet project, and we will see him at LT again next season

I also think a quick, penetrating dt is needed. I also think if you're not going to rush Merci, they need to trade him. I think this team would be better as a 4-3. I know some like Clowney in a 2 or stance, but I see him keep his leverage better in a 3 pt stance. If you're going to play that off coverage, you better get alot of quick pressure. Anytime the Texans played a good QB, they gave up the ghost.

The ideal scenario for next season would be for Texans to add one quality CB and one quality Olineman.
If they can accomplish this, it will greatly effect the performance of this team on both sides of the ball.
It would also help if iur receiving corp can stay healthy but we cannot bank on that so another decent possession receiver or TE would give Watson more opportunity to work on getting the ball out faster.
Why do I say only one quality olineman is necessary? I look at it like this - if you add one quality piece you are bolstering the line and it enables you to further bolster the line by omitting the weakest link, so in effect, you are getting two for one.
And integrating one piece is easier for the line to adjust to the change.
Ideally, Texans should add one more solid pass rusher to put more pressure on opposing lines - which will help us combat Colts and other good lines. It will also give JJ more time to rest up.
If these things happen, then Texans will be competitive.

Free Agency:
Re-sign Clowney (tag), Kareem, Mathieu, Covington, Dunn, Weeden, Fairbairn, & Deandre Carter
Release Kevin Johnson and Ryan Griffin
Sign LT Trent Brown, CB Darqueeze Dennard & TE Nick Boyle

Draft:
1: Cody Ford OT/Oklahoma
2: Kendall Sheffield CB/Ohio State
2: Riley Ridley WR/Georgia
3: Miles Sanders RB/Penn State
5: Jalen Jelks Edge/Oregon
6: Davante Davis CB/Texas
7: Breckyn Hager Edge/Texas

Free Agency:
Re-sign Clowney (tag), Kareem, Mathieu, Covington, Dunn, Weeden, Fairbairn, & Deandre Carter
Release Kevin Johnson and Ryan Griffin
Sign LT Trent Brown, CB Darqueeze Dennard & TE Nick Boyle

Draft:
1: Cody Ford OT/Oklahoma
2: Kendall Sheffield CB/Ohio State
2: Riley Ridley WR/Georgia
3: Miles Sanders RB/Penn State
5: Jalen Jelks Edge/Oregon
6: Davante Davis CB/Texas
7: Breckyn Hager Edge/Texas

I like everything but the UT guys at the end and I'm UT fan.

LT's Brown and Smith are the only FA's I'd be ok with in paying over their actual market value....that's the NFL FA beast when a position is in high demand. If Smith is retained by the Bucs, then it boils down to Brown and I'm still not 100% sure the Pats let him walk. In a real BB move, I could see him retaining Brown under a new contract and trading OT, Isaiah Wynn for a couple of solid picks. BB had a whole season of watching what Brown did for his OL.....Wynn is still a mystery. If Wynn is marketed, I'd have no interest due to the BB asking price.

If the LT route gets blocked, then I'd swing my FA focus to LeVeon Bell and then trade for Antonio Brown. I wouldn't chase another FA LT b/c I just don't think the value would match the asking price. I'd need some extra picks to make up for not getting a FA LT. My go to plan, tag and trade Clowney. The loss of Clowney will not destroy the Texans defensive edge but those extra picks in RD2 and maybe RD3 or RD4 could be huge in creating a package to move up and obtain the services of a top LT in the draft.

If the Texans could land Little, Dillard or Risner....the OT spots would be settled. I still want Erik McCoy so an answer is provided for the C position. With Brown and Bell on board, the need to draft a WR or RB in 2019 is no longer an issue. Need to draft 2 solid CB's in this draft as well.....maybe 3. I would take a late round flyer on DE, Corbin Kaufusi- BYU since he could be a nice answer to Clowney by year 2. Literally, 3 OL, 3 CB's and a DE could be the entire draft......and I'd be pretty damn excited depending on who the players were.

Its looking more and more like we fill that OT role in the draft ….

I'd prefer to retain all three of Clowney , KJax & Honeybadger and add Bryce Callahan to the mix via FA as a slot corner.

That leaves you a full draft to solve your offensive issues and doesn't destroy your cap situation. First round looking for a competent OT ...

Its looking more and more like we fill that OT role in the draft ….

I'd prefer to retain all three of Clowney , KJax & Honeybadger and add Bryce Callahan to the mix via FA as a slot corner.

That leaves you a full draft to solve your offensive issues and doesn't destroy your cap situation. First round looking for a competent OT ...

Or a CB if one of the top ones fall

There is a small chance Greedy Williams falls to us.
If so, you run to the podium.
Having a Marcus Peters type in the secondary will be a huge boost for that defense.
You can then burn both seconds on a couple of OTs.

If Dillard and Williams are there at 23 which one do you take?

I take Dillard, gotta do everything you can to protect Watson. If you cant protect Watson your doomed regardless of how many Williams' you draft.

My ideal offseason,

If Dillard doesn't fall to 23 and Gaine doesn't trade a 2nd for AB.

Rd. 1 Greedy Williams
Rd.2 Chris Lindstrom
Rd.2 Kendall Sheffield
Rd.3 Kaleb McGary

Sign Trent Brown/Jason Verrett/John Brown in FA.

If Dillard and Williams are there at 23 which one do you take?

I take Dillard, gotta do everything you can to protect Watson. If you cant protect Watson your doomed regardless of how many Williams' you draft.
Which is why you get the best CB and OT you can in FA.
That then dictates what you take in R1.
For example, let's say you could only manage to snag a serviceable guy at LT, then you draft one first to compete, add depth and perhaps be your starter - and vice verse for the CB.

Which is why you get the best CB and OT you can in FA.
That then dictates what you take in R1.
For example, let's say you could only manage to snag a serviceable guy at LT, then you draft one first to compete, add depth and perhaps be your starter - and vice verse for the CB.

The FA/CB market is very depressed.

Which makes keeping decent guys in the secondary a high priority.
I am suggesting that we only need to upgrade one or maybe two spots on both sides of the ball for improvement.
A good FA CB and Tackle and a high draft pick for both should offer a great deal of improvement for this team.

They need a yputh infusion.

Rivers McCown

✔@riversmccown

How I'd approach free agency and the draft for the Texans offense, versus what I think they'll actually do:https://www.riversmccown.com/2019/02/18/my-2019-offseason-houston-texans-plan-offense/ …

10:59 AM - Feb 18, 2019

I’m separating this into a few posts because I don’t want to drop 5,000 words on one piece.

There is nothing I can do about my beefs with how this team is coached so I’m not going to run through that disclaimer on every position, but obviously it is a shadow that looms over the ceiling of the entire organization. Ultimately I have players I like that would not be used exactly in the way I’d prescribe. So I’ll also be trying to add people I think are good fits for what the coaching staff wants as well, even if they are not the exact players I’d go after.

QB: Deshaun Watson (rookie deal), FA signing, FA signing

I’ve got nothing against Brandon Weeden but I have serious doubts that he could manage the team well through a multi-week Deshaun Watson injury. He’s 35, 36 in October, and hasn’t started a game since 2015. To me, Weeden being a primary backup when your quarterback takes as many dings as Watson takes with his playmaking style is a bad fit.

So, who to chase then? I think Tyrod Taylor might allow the Texans to keep most of the offense they run normally with Watson, as well as give them enough juice as a runner to creatively manage through some games. I don’t know what Taylor’s market is like but the Bills ran him out of town and the Browns didn’t even give him a month as a starter — I think he might have to settle for being a backup. The Texans don’t figure to be cap-strapped and could give Taylor a decent one-year deal in the $4-$5 million range without it changing anything. (Alternately I like Colin Kaepernick but I have my doubts the Texans would actually be interested for reasons that are incredibly obvious.)

Offensive Line: Zach Fulton (midscale contract), Seantrel Henderson (small contract), Nick Martin (rookie deal), Julie’n Davenport (rookie deal), Martinas Rankin (rookie deal), FA/rookie, FA/rookie, FA/rookie

Alright, here’s the big mess to clean up on this side of the ball. Kendall Lamm would be on my callback list, but he wouldn’t be a priority re-sign. I expect the Texans feel about the same by their decision to re-sign Seantrel Henderson. I would go ahead and release Senio Kelemete and Greg Mancz for cap space ($3.15 million). They both struggled this season in some ways. I expect in reality the Texans will actually keep Mancz. Kelemete, I could see it going either way.

I’d make Rankin a full-time guard, thought he showed decently in that area towards the end of last season when given a chance. Here’s the order of free agency/trade operations for me: in order, I’d pursue Matt Paradis, Darryl Williams, and Ty Neskhe. If the team was able to land Paradis, who I expect to be one of the biggest free-agent prizes in the league despite coming off a fractured fibula, I’d move Nick Martinto guard. I’d be willing to give Paradis something north of what Ryan Jensen got last offseason, a four-year, $42 million contract with $22 million in guarantees — a contract that essentially amounts to a two-year contract with options. I think Martin will play better at guard where he can focus on less pre-snap, and I think Paradis is an elite center that will help run blocking and pass protection. You can sub in Rodger Saffold if you like him better in this plan — Paradis is younger and I would want any good play I got from Martin to be a bonus, rather than something I’d rely on. I think you come into the season with Zach Fulton on hand, ready to replace Martin wherever. I expect the Texans will not do any of this and instead will let Mancz spell Fulton, Martin, and Rankin up the middle.

Nsekhe is my sleeper option to fill left tackle — I think he gets overlooked because he was stuck on Washington behind Trent Williams for his entire career. But every time he’s gotten on the field, he’s played solid-to-well. He’s already 33, so he’s not going to command a huge long-term deal. But that’s a play I think you make when Juli’en Davenport is your penciled in left tackle.

I like Williams as a low-cost gamble at right tackle. Williams disappointed for the early portion of his rookie contract in Carolina, but was second-team All-Pro in 2017 before missing most of 2018 to a torn MCL and a dislocated kneecap. I don’t think he’s who you want manning left tackle because I don’t think he has the speed for it, but he’s only 27 and the injury should depress his market a bit. If he were coming off the 2017 season now he’d figure to get $30 million in guarantees. As is, I bet he still does well for himself. But this is the one guy in this tackle class who I think is talented enough to actually get into a bid war for.

I’d offer some trade options but I think it largely is a draft-only thing when it comes to tackles. Teams don’t trade star tackles very often. I wonder why that is and if Deshaun Watson has any thoughts on that.

This year’s draft pool at tackle is deep and has multiple potential options that could make it to Houston’s first-round pick, but it does seem to be a class where evaluations vary wildly. Having not dived into tape and thoughts on the subject as often as I’m comfortable with, I’m going to mostly abstain from the discussion for now. Jonah Williamsseems to be bandied about as the safest pick, if not necessarily a true top-10 left tackle for everybody. My “I’ve watched some college games but not intently studied this” opinion is that Andre Dillardand Greg Little make up the second tier of potential left tackles.

I expect the Texans to just sit back and take the best offensive tackle on their board when they select, unless they have a high enough grade on someone to trade up for them. My gut feeling is: three weeks into free agency any fan who was riled up about the offensive line last season will probably continue to be baffled by the lack of investment. If that doesn’t come to pass, I think the team will have grievously over-evaluated a tackle like Trent Brown.

Rivers McCown

✔@riversmccown

How I'd approach free agency and the draft for the Texans offense, versus what I think they'll actually do:https://www.riversmccown.com/2019/02/18/my-2019-offseason-houston-texans-plan-offense/ …

10:59 AM - Feb 18, 2019

I've been calling for the Texans to sign Ty Nsheke for 2 yrs and he would be my fall back plan if I wasn't able to sign Trent Brown. Heck sign both of them and draft an OT that can play OG like Risner. They have the cap space. I dont want them to sign Williams. The Texans should be very leary of signing OL coming off of injury in FA.

FA signings, Trent Brown/John Brown/Nsekhe/Verrett. This can easily be done without burning up the cap.

1. Franchise Jadeveon Clowney. The Texans don’t want to lose Clowney, nor should they. The 2014 No. 1 overall pick has made it to three consecutive Pro Bowls and just turned 26. He has completed only one full 16-game season as a pro, but the microfracture surgery on his right knee that cost the South Carolina product most of his rookie season hasn’t been a problem since. Clowney has missed six games over the past four seasons, undergoing two subsequent arthroscopic surgeries on his other knee.

At the same time, the 6-foot-5, 255-pound Clowney hasn’t yet put together the sort of massive season that seems natural for a defender who looks as dominant on the football field as he is. Fifty different defenders have racked up at least one double-digit sack campaign since the beginning of the 2014 season, but Clowney isn’t one of them.

He has come close in each of the past two seasons, hitting 9.5 sacks in 2017 and getting to nine last season. But on his game, he looks like the sort of defender who should be annually flirting with Defensive Player of the Year honors. His knockdown totals don’t suggest a player who has been trading in bad luck, either. Using the 45 percent rule, Clowney’s 67 knockdowns over the past four seasons imply he should have racked up about 30 sacks over that time frame. He has recorded 29.

I’m not saying this to disparage Clowney. I would hardly be surprised if he put together a 15-sack season in 2019. Nobody would be. I bring this up to illustrate how difficult his contract negotiations might be. Edge rushers are paid to rack up sacks, and Clowney’s 29 sacks rank 27th over the past four seasons. The Texans might very well point to his production as closer to good than great and suggest he’s worth something below the five-year, $72 million extension that Danielle Hunter signed last year. (Hunter, for what it’s worth, has 40 sacks over those four years.)

On the open market, though, Clowney would get to negotiate with 31 teams. At least one of those teams would be willing to take the plunge and pay him on his potential, expecting him to put up those 15-sack seasons his tape hints toward. On the open market, Clowney might get something closer to a five-year, $100 million deal with $60 million in guarantees, which would top every other edge rusher contract in the NFL short of Khalil Mack. You can bet Clowney’s representation knows this. The Texans have to negotiate against that possibility. Going year to year with Clowney with franchise tags would cost the Texans around $68 million over the next three years, so there’s no savings there, either.

The Texans will start with a franchise tag north of $17 million in 2019 and go from there. I think they’ll eventually come to terms on an extension, if only because a long-term deal makes sense for both sides. This is going to be a more difficult negotiation than most other franchise tag extensions.

2. Re-sign Tyrann Mathieu. Mathieu’s one-year, $7 million deal was a victory for both sides, as Mathieu stayed healthy and produced his best season since his All-Pro campaign in 2015. He was a consistent producer in a Texans secondary that struggled for steady play at cornerback last season, and while his 2015 performance might loom as an outlier, Mathieu’s range and instincts make him a valuable free safety.

The 26-year-old Mathieu has suggested he wants to return to the Texans, and a new deal makes sense for both sides. In a market full of free safety options after a season when the league seemed to punt on the position, Mathieu might understandably prefer to lock up long-term stability in Houston. A three-year, $30 million deal could make sense for both parties.

3. Clean up the cornerback position. The Texans have thrown plenty of assets at corners, but things haven’t quite worked out the way they planned. Kareem Jackson, a first-round pick in 2010 who spent eight years at cornerback, moved to safety last season to replace Andre Hal, who was battling leukemia. Jackson is a free agent. Kevin Johnson, a 2015 first-rounder, hasn’t been able to stay healthy, and he missed 15 games in 2018 while dealing with the aftereffects of a pair of concussions. The Texans have a $9.1 million fifth-year option for him in 2019 that is guaranteed for injury, and it’s unclear whether the Wake Forest product will be able to pass a physical. A failed physical would trigger that guarantee.

The Texans drafted Johnson with the hopes that he would eventually take over for Johnathan Joseph, who started 14 games at age 34 and is under contract for $4.8 million in 2019. When Johnson got hurt in 2016, the Texans promoted A.J. Bouye, who excelled in a starting role. The Jaguars signed Bouye to a five-year, $67.5 million deal in free agency in 2017, and the Texans responded by signing Jags slot corner Aaron Colvin to a four-year, $34 million contract last year.

After one year, it’s hard to think of many significant free-agent deals that look worse than Colvin’s. He missed six weeks with an ankle injury, but even after returning to health, the Texans seemed to sour on their new acquisition. Colvin played just 112 defensive snaps over the final six weeks of the season, 60 of which came in one game, when the Texans benched midseason addition Shareece Wright. Houston restored Wright to the lineup the following week in favor of Colvin, who was a healthy scratch in the wild-card loss to the Colts. Indy subsequently picked on Wright during the game, with Dontrelle Inman beating him for a 21-yard touchdown.

The Texans are probably locked into bringing back Colvin. The 27-year-old has a $8.6 million cap hit in 2019, and Houston would owe $10.5 million in dead money if it cuts him. Even if the Texans designated Colvin as a post-June 1 release, they would owe $8.5 million in dead money on their cap in 2019 and $2 million next year. Given their cornerback depth chart is Joseph and a series of question marks, the Texans likely will hope they can recoup something out of their investment in 2019. They’ll also need to address the position in free agency or the draft.

4. Add a receiver, not Le’Veon Bell. The Texans have been popularly linked to Bell, given that Lamar Miller is entering the final year of his deal and 2017 third-rounder D’Onta Foreman missed virtually all of the 2018 season while recovering from a torn Achilles tendon. With Deshaun Watson making slightly more than $4 million over the next two seasons, the Texans have the cap space to go after a star running back like Bell.

I’m not sure it’s the right move for the Texans. In a vacuum, Bell won’t be a great deal for any team at the $15 million annual average salary he’ll attract in free agency. The Steelers did just fine with James Conner and Jaylen Samuels as their primary backs last season. Bell’s track record with injuries and suspensions suggest he’s not likely to stay on the field for 16 games per season on a regular basis, either.

I also don’t think the fit with the Texans is perfect. Houston mostly operates out of the pistol and shotgun, owing to Watson’s comfort there going back to his time at Clemson. Watson took 85.1 percent of his pass dropbacks out of the pistol or in shotgun last season. Bell is certainly comfortable out of the shotgun — he shows no significant split in performance regardless of where the quarterback begins on his rushing plays — but nearly 62 percent of his runs over the past four years began with Ben Roethlisberger under center.

The Texans might want to add a back, but they’re probably better off drafting a runner to compete with Foreman for carries after Miller leaves town. They have an extra second-rounder from the Duane Brown trade with the Seahawks, too.

Where Houston might instead want to make an addition is at receiver, where they’ve failed to surround DeAndre Hopkins with steady help. Will Fuller, a 2016 first-rounder, seems to have a telepathic connection with Watson but can’t stay healthy. Fuller has 45 receptions for 782 yards and 11 touchdowns in 11 games with Watson, but the Notre Dame product also has missed time with a broken collarbone, cracked ribs, hamstring injuries and a torn ACL. Rookie fourth-rounder Keke Coutee battled a hamstring ailment throughout 2018, and Demaryius Thomas lasted seven games before tearing his Achilles.

The Texans have cycled through all kinds of tight end options over the past few seasons, and given the depth of that position in this year’s draft, it’s the most logical place they can upgrade on the likes of Ryan Griffin and Jordan Thomas. Jordan Akins, a third-round pick last year, will figure in the offense this season, but the former minor league baseball player will turn 27 in April and doesn’t have much time to waste. If the Texans see a franchise tight end in this draft, they should do what they can to nab him.

5. Add help at offensive tackle. You thought I forgot? The Texans should use their first-round pick on a tackle. They should sign a free-agent tackle. They should hold an open tryout exclusively for tackles. They should ask J.J. Watt whether he has any brothers who forgot to try out for the football team and give them a shot at tackle.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ill-barnwell-predicts-trades-free-agency-cuts

Reactions: JB

This part made me laugh

5. Add help at offensive tackle. You thought I forgot? The Texans should use their first-round pick on a tackle. They should sign a free-agent tackle. They should hold an open tryout exclusively for tackles. They should ask J.J. Wattwhether he has any brothers who forgot to try out for the football team and give them a shot at tackle.

Where will Le'Veon Bell end up? According to btrossler of @SportsInfo_SIS, the two best options are in the same division: https://t.co/3pjpQXeeRy

— The Athletic NFL (@TheAthleticNFL) February 21, 2019

On Wednesday, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert officially announced that Pittsburgh would not place any tag on star running back Le’Veon Bell, ending the longstanding drama and officially making him a free agent. As analysts continue to play the where-will-he-land guessing game, it’s important to consider all of the crucial factors. Even if the scheme seems like a dream fit, there will be teams out there who cannot or will not pay a player fair market value. For example, the Patriots, with their diverse run scheme and creative use of backs in the passing game, would theoretically be a great match for Le’Veon Bell. But the fact that the 26-year-old back is seeking a payday means that an otherwise perfect marriage is unlikely to come to fruition.

Any team going after Bell will presumably be doing so because they want to target him in the passing game. Of 49 backs who were targeted 50-plus times across the 2016 and 2017 seasons, Bell proved to be one of just a few high-volume, high-efficiency players, ranking seventh in expected points added per target (0.18) over that span. That’s one of Bell’s more compelling sales pitches because a running back needs to make a substantial impact on the passing game if he hopes to justify the kind of salary he’ll be seeking.

In terms of offenses that 1.) need running backs, 2.) have room under the cap, and 3.) like to use running backs in their passing game, two teams stand out as realistic candidates for his services: the Colts and the Texans. It’s been widely speculated that Bell will be courted by Indianapolis, but Houston may come as a bit of a surprise. They’ll have to secure Jadeveon Clowney’s services first, but they have few other players they must retain, and they’re currently sitting at a comfortable $75.6M in cap space, per Spotrac. And while they have Lamar Miller under contract through 2019, he could be cut with a meager dead cap hit of $1M, netting $4.5M in savings. That means the Texans, who need to surround Deshaun Watson with more playmakers, are well-positioned to make a strong push for Bell’s services.

It would make sense from a run game perspective. Head coach Bill O’Brien called for an outside zone run on 31 percent of Houston’s designed run plays in 2018 — their highest usage rate of any run concept last year. In Bell’s last pro season, he averaged 0.03 EPA/rush on outside zone runs, which was fifth-best in the league that year.

Still, where the Texans could use him the most is in the passing game.The former Steeler spent 13 percent of his passing snaps outside of the backfield in 2016 and 2017, with 22 percent of his targets occurring from those alignments. The Texans flexed a back out at the second-highest rate in the league, on 20 percent of their offensive snaps in 2018, but they managed to target the back just 6 percent of the time on those dropbacks, which was the lowest rate in the NFL. Considering O’Brien frequently employs empty formations to help Watson identify coverages, the addition of Bell would make things even easier on his young quarterback pre-snap.

Where will Le'Veon Bell end up? According to btrossler of @SportsInfo_SIS, the two best options are in the same division: https://t.co/3pjpQXeeRy

— The Athletic NFL (@TheAthleticNFL) February 21, 2019
No one at this time knows what they are going to get with Bell. Reports out there have revealed that, unlike Antonio Brown who has worked out like a fiend to always stay in shape, Bell has literally taken the year off from not only football but also from any and all workouts...............he has purportedly weighed in at 260 pounds............his playing weight has always been between 220 and 225.

No one at this time knows what they are going to get with Bell. Reports out there have revealed that, unlike Antonio Brown who has worked out like a fiend to always stay in shape, Bell has literally taken the year off from not only football but also from any and all workouts...............he has purportedly weighed in at 260 pounds............his playing weight has always been between 220 and 225.

Do not want Bell especially or AB.

But AB has a work ethic like few others have. Somebody is going to take the risk and probably be very happy they did. The risk is going to be in the guaranteed $$$$ for a 31 yr old WR.

Do not want Bell especially or AB.

But AB has a work ethic like few others have. Somebody is going to take the risk and probably be very happy they did. The risk is going to be in the guaranteed $$$$ for a 31 yr old WR.

Antonio Brown is available for trade, and predicting where he will land (or what the Steelers will get in return) is like guessing where the pill will stop on a roulette wheel. Never has the destination for an NFL star on the trading block been so difficult to forecast.

Brown, who turns 31 years old in July, is a top-shelf No. 1 receiver on the field right now. He’s shown no marked sign of decline, but history and science suggest he could soon. His greatest strength is the speed and quickness he has getting in and out of his breaks, which is all predicated on balance—one of the first attributes an aging athlete loses. When Brown’s game does start going downhill, it could roll quickly.

However Brown is the NFL’s craftiest contested catch artist not named DeAndre Hopkins. Some teams might see Larry Fitzgerald-type longevity in store for him. It might not matter, though, because most likely whoever deals for Brown will see him as a two-year rental, with decisions about 2021 and future years to be made later.

Brown’s behavior off the field, especially last season, is another story. In recent years rumors and gripes about his diva behavior have poured in. And it’s likely that those stories are just the tip of the iceberg, considering that is has always been, and is now especially, in the Steelers’ best interest to keep ugly Brown stories sealed. As an outsider looking in, here’s what we can see from afar:

link

With this mindset, all 31 teams are (theoretically) in play for Brown. But any team that would want to do a new deal will have to go through Pittsburgh’s front office in order to talk with Brown and Rosenhaus.

Jimmy Smith might get released from the Ravens, would you trade a late round pick and take on his $9.5 hit to insure he came here? His off the field baggage and all

I don't think we should break the bank or trade picks to acquire a wr.

Get WFV and Coutee healthy, work Akins into the mix and we would be ok there.

V Smith and D Carter could back up.

Now if someone Gaine/Obrien really like falls late round then go for it.

Everything I read here and elsewhere say OL OL CB Edge are our biggest needs.

So if history is any indication we should expect TE LB and backup LS. :)

:coffee:

i would not also mind getting push up the middle, we stop the run, but the big boys cannot get consistent pressure up the gut. Ok if FA like Suh or other, but give me more pressure up the gut so it compliments the edge. I wonder if they dont worry because they use Clowney in the gaps, but would prefer we get someone a little quicker in there

A lot of people want to take chances on players coming off injury at CB like Darby or Verrett. I’d rather get a HEALTHY young player with speed in the draft to complement Jo Jo and hope Colvin can rebound.

If we’re taking a player coming off injury I want Tyler Eifert. Will probably have to take an incentive laden deal and is an elite talent at a position that is thin across the league. I’d love to see what he could do for this offense if finally healthy for however long that lasts!

Worked out well for D Foreman coming off surgery. :sarcasm:

:coffee:

A lot of people want to take chances on players coming off injury at CB like Darby or Verrett. I’d rather get a HEALTHY young player with speed in the draft to complement Jo Jo and hope Colvin can rebound.

If we’re taking a player coming off injury I want Tyler Eifert. Will probably have to take an incentive laden deal and is an elite talent at a position that is thin across the league. I’d love to see what he could do for this offense if finally healthy for however long that lasts!

Who is this young CB you're talking about?

His trainer has denied that report. https://www.sportsgossip.com/nfl/leveon-bells-trainer-denies-report-of-massive-weight-gain
"It's so untrue it's laughable and ridiculous," Bommarito stated. "He has stuck to the plan and stayed in shape all year. It's ridiculous. Where does this stuff come from? Who says this? Nobody asked me."
I understand the report came out of New York Daily News as possible attempt by Jets to "soften market".

Bell, who’s playing weight is 217 pounds, is about to hit free agency following news earlier this week that the Steelers will allow him to hit the open market. There’s a thought from people close to Bell that the Jets are trying to lower the price on the former All-Pro by floating stories about weight gain.

New York has reason to play that game. With a bevy of suitors expected to come calling when free agency begins on March 11, softening the market is always a tactic. Still, the Jets have the second-most cap space in the league behind the Indianapolis Colts. If New York is forced to get into a bidding war — and any team attempting to sign Bell will be — the Jets have the cash to win out.
https://fansided.com/2019/02/21/leveon-bell-weight-problem-report-rumors/

His trainer has denied that report. https://www.sportsgossip.com/nfl/leveon-bells-trainer-denies-report-of-massive-weight-gain

I understand the report came out of New York Daily News as possible attempt by Jets to "soften market".

I see you've still got a hard on for Bell.

His market isn't going to be what he thought it was. With that said it only take one team for Bell to get his $$$$. Hopefully that team isn't the Texans.

I see you've still got a hard on for Bell.

His market isn't going to be what he thought it was. With that said it only take one team for Bell to get his $$$$. Hopefully that team isn't the Texans.

IDK, if you could get him on a McCoy type contract, $10 mil cap hit or less over 5 years with next to no dead money after 3, might be worth looking at

Thanks for posting this. If that article would not be true about him being overweight, it would be a simple act of taking a picture of himself and having it posted. Until I have such evidence for confirmation by face to face interviews by teams other than the Jets will I trust the information.

Last edited:
Eddie Lacy had the same problem when he let himself go after an ankle injury which took him away from football for a while. He was never able to get his mindset into effectively getting back into playing weight and shape. He went from over 5 yds/carry to <2.8 yds/carry.......and out of football.

IDK, if you could get him on a McCoy type contract, $10 mil cap hit or less over 5 years with next to no dead money after 3, might be worth looking at

Bell reportedly wants $17M annually and $48M guaranteed. There's no way, IMO, that he settles for a $10M a year cap hit.

He wants a bigger contract than Gurley. Gurley's cap hits are...

Year 1 - $17.25M
Year 2 - $13.20M
Year 3 - $14.20M
Year 4 - $12.45M

Back