Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ideal Offseason Scenario

$50? Clowney tag is about $18 m. What am I missing? We could use extra space to go after a vet corner and use some for Mathieu and our other level two free agents like Covington.

After Clowneys tag and signing all the rookies and resigning KJAX (Im not in the resign Matthieu at all costs camp since Justin Reid is developing so fast, but if its a good deal im in) .. the Texans have approximately 68M in cap space and the cap is going up next year to around 190M from 177M this year so the Texans should have the money and the inclination to be players for big fish in the FA market this year with AROUND 50Ms to spend .. no i havent sat down to crunch the #'s this is just off the top of my head.

So why would another team give up draft picks for a high priced aging player? Or players that can't stay off the trainers table?

And there is the fly in the ointment with all the "Trade player X" posts or threads. Trading takes two parties and who out there would take these players off our hands at the price we want? Just because we valve a player at something doesn't mean other teams do and if they don't the whole plan is screwed. I'm all for putting feelers out and seeing what you could get but I'm not for planning the whole thing around "we will trade player X and that will give us the picks or cap space we need". The true valve of a player is A: how much is he helping your team and B: what is another team willing to give up to get him.

Reactions: JB
After Clowneys tag and signing all the rookies and resigning KJAX (Im not in the resign Matthieu at all costs camp since Justin Reid is developing so fast, but if its a good deal im in) .. the Texans have approximately 68M in cap space and the cap is going up next year to around 190M from 177M this year so the Texans should have the money and the inclination to be players for big fish in the FA market this year with AROUND 50Ms to spend .. no i havent sat down to crunch the #'s this is just off the top of my head.

Yeah I agree, but wouldn't count exclusively on Reid, after all after his first year we thought KJo was going to be special. I would hope to sign TM for a reasonable deal but not a FA probowler deal

Yeah I agree, but wouldn't count exclusively on Reid, after all after his first year we thought KJo was going to be special. I would hope to sign TM for a reasonable deal but not a FA probowler deal

Andre Hal is still around also to make a Mattieu loss more bearable if the money is not right.

Actually, little too old to toy with Madden.....this is my reality. I would make moves to better this team and with a draft this deep in defensive talent, those traded can be replaced and kept for less money over the next 4-5 years. Yeah, these moves could be reality....nothing too far fetched.

The issue with this method is though, yes it will help your team maybe in 4-5 years down the road, but what is it doing to help you compete next season, or even the season after? Rookies are good and all, but you are talking about replacing 2 of your key cogs in the strength of your defense. Those rookies aren't going to give you the production and value that Clowney and Merc are currently giving you, so now our front 7 takes a step back. Duke outside of the preseason going against back ups, and a good game against the Titans in week 2 has been completely non existent for our defense, so I hope you are not relying on him to replace Clowney or Mercilus' production.

Then we got to the offensive side, I guess you can make a case to move on from Fuller due to his injuries, but he is cheap, knows our offense very well, adds a completely different dimension to our offense, and as we have seen has great chemistry with our QB. Like I said I can see the argument to trade him, but I don't see how trading him helps us win in the coming years. The chance of you finding another WR that can give you that 4.2 speed, and route running combo is just not good and would require a serious investment(1st round pick) most likely

I can also see the argument to trade Miller, although idk what trade value an aging RB on a fairly high salary(for RBs) will command. RB's just don't age well, and you can generally find some decent ones in the mid rounds if you don't want to invest heavily. Which is why I wouldn't pay Bell 20M a year for 2 years, way to much money for a RB. Or were you saying 20M total over 2 years? because he already decided playing for more than that amount wasn't good enough, so why would he do that here?

The moves you talk about making(outside of signing Bell) are moves you make if you don't think you can compete in the coming seasons and instead want to rebuild. Maybe that's where you think the team is at, I don't share that opinion

The following scenario assumes we do not win the super bowl (in which case I think we would probably just run it back for the most part). I assume we have somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 M in cap space.

Re-Signed Texans Free Agents
1. Kareem Jackson - DB - I am concerned he has had his best season in a contract year but he has been a swiss army knife for our secondary. 3 years/$21 M
2. Tyrann Mathieu - S - Fit has been perfect. Along with Jackson has helped cover for our poor CB play. 4 years/$30 M
3. JD Clowney - OLB - His knee gives me pause and I would likely tag him. 1 year/$15 M
4. Brandon Dunn - NT - Like him as a depth piece along the Dline. 2 years/$5 M
5. Christian Covington - DE - Perfect example of homegrown talent that we have developed and need to keep. 3 years/$10 M
6. Ka'imi Fairbairn - K - Solid kicker. 3 years/$10 M

Released: Seantrel Henderson, Kayvon Webster, Angelo Blackson, Joe Webb, Shareece Wright, Brian Peters, Brandon Weeden, Alfred Blue, Kendall Lamm, Brennan Scarlett, Deandre Carter

Estimated remaining cap space : $50 M

Signed NFL Free Agents
1. Donovan Smith - LT - Former PSU player for Bill O'Brien, Smith has been an iron man at LT for the Bucs since being drafted in 2015. He has improved his PFF grade each season that he has been in the NFL. 5 years/$50 M
2. Darqueze Dennard - CB - Veteran CB who should thrive in our defense. 3 years/$35 M
3. Jordan Matthews - WR - Veteran WR who can play on the outside or in the slot. 2 years/$4 M
4. Brett Hundley - QB - Insurance so that the season doesn't turn on Deshaun's ACL. 3 years/$10 M

Estimated remaining cap space : $20 M

Draft
1: David Edwards - OT/Wisconsin - Road grading RT with athleticism to hold up in pass pro.
2: Michael Jackson - CB/Miami - Physical corner who supports against the run
2: Andy Isabella - WR/UMass - Weapon out of the slot. Can be insurance for either Coutee or Fuller (as a deep threat)
3: Jalen Jelks - OLB/Oregon - Will likely need a year to transition to OLB (future replacement for Mercilus or Clowney). Special teamer until then.
5: Renell Wren - DL/ASU - Depth on the DL. Big body with plus athleticism.
6: Tavien Feaster - RB/Clemson - Blue replacement.
7: BPA/Special teams depth

Offense
OL: Smith - Rankin - Martin - Fulton - Edwards with Davenport as the swing tackle and Kelemete and Mancz IOL depth
WR: Hopkins, Fuller, Matthews, Isabella, & Coutee
QB: Watson and Hundley
RB: Miller, Foreman, and Feaster
TE: Thomas, Akins, and Griffin

Defense
DE: Watt, Covington, Watkins, and Wren
NT: Reader, Dunn
MLB: McKinney, Cunningham, Cole
OLB: Mercilus, Clowney, Ejiofor, Kalambayi
S: Mathieu, K. Jackson, Reid, Hal
CB: Dennard, M. Jackson, Joseph, Colvin

Majors: Clowney 6/120M, Mathieu 3/27M, Kareem 1/10M
Bit players, high priority: Fairbairn, Covington (don't overvalue his random 3 sack season though), Henderson or Johnson, Carter
Bit players, low priority: Lamm, Dunn, Heath, Scarlett, Webb

Can't come back even if you want to: Blue

Trading away: Mercilus for a 3rd-5th
Cap casualty: Miller

Signing: LeVeon, no Kareem give me LaMarcus Joyner, no Clowney give me Dee Ford, and sign a couple veteran OL to compete with some youngsters.

Drafting: every human 6'6 300+ pounds possible.

Majors: Clowney 6/120M, Mathieu 3/27M, Kareem 1/10M
Bit players, high priority: Fairbairn, Covington (don't overvalue his random 3 sack season though), Henderson or Johnson, Carter
Bit players, low priority: Lamm, Dunn, Heath, Scarlett, Webb

Can't come back even if you want to: Blue

Trading away: Mercilus for a 3rd-5th
Cap casualty: Miller

Signing: LeVeon, no Kareem give me LaMarcus Joyner, no Clowney give me Dee Ford, and sign a couple veteran OL to compete with some youngsters.

Drafting: every human 6'6 300+ pounds possible.
That's a good way to look silly and ignores the need for a starting CB.

The following scenario assumes we do not win the super bowl (in which case I think we would probably just run it back for the most part). I assume we have somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 M in cap space.

1. Kareem Jackson - DB - I am concerned he has had his best season in a contract year but he has been a swiss army knife for our secondary. 3 years/$21 M
2. Tyrann Mathieu - S - Fit has been perfect. Along with Jackson has helped cover for our poor CB play. 4 years/$30 M

Wait... you want to pay the Honey Badger LESS than KJak And Keep him here?????

That's a good way to look silly and ignores the need for a starting CB.

Joseph, Colvin, Johnson, Jackson/Joyner, and Bademosi would all be on the roster, with Hal, Reid and Mathieu as the safeties.

It's silly to think you need any DBs in that scenario, especially when you have a bottom 5 offensive line.

3. JD Clowney - OLB - His knee gives me pause and I would likely tag him. 1 year/$15 M
4. Brandon Dunn - NT - Like him as a depth piece along the Dline. 2 years/$5 M
5. Christian Covington - DE - Perfect example of homegrown talent that we have developed and need to keep. 3 years/$10 M
6. Ka'imi Fairbairn - K - Solid kicker. 3 years/$10 M

Released: Seantrel Henderson, Kayvon Webster, Angelo Blackson, Joe Webb, Shareece Wright, Brian Peters, Brandon Weeden, Alfred Blue, Kendall Lamm, Brennan Scarlett, Deandre Carter

Estimated remaining cap space : $50 M

Signed NFL Free Agents
1. Donovan Smith - LT - Former PSU player for Bill O'Brien, Smith has been an iron man at LT for the Bucs since being drafted in 2015. He has improved his PFF grade each season that he has been in the NFL. 5 years/$50 M
2. Darqueze Dennard - CB - Veteran CB who should thrive in our defense. 3 years/$35 M
3. Jordan Matthews - WR - Veteran WR who can play on the outside or in the slot. 2 years/$4 M
4. Brett Hundley - QB - Insurance so that the season doesn't turn on Deshaun's ACL. 3 years/$10 M

Estimated remaining cap space : $20 M

Draft
1: David Edwards - OT/Wisconsin - Road grading RT with athleticism to hold up in pass pro.
2: Michael Jackson - CB/Miami - Physical corner who supports against the run
2: Andy Isabella - WR/UMass - Weapon out of the slot. Can be insurance for either Coutee or Fuller (as a deep threat)
3: Jalen Jelks - OLB/Oregon - Will likely need a year to transition to OLB (future replacement for Mercilus or Clowney). Special teamer until then.
5: Renell Wren - DL/ASU - Depth on the DL. Big body with plus athleticism.
6: Tavien Feaster - RB/Clemson - Blue replacement.
7: BPA/Special teams depth

Offense
OL: Smith - Rankin - Martin - Fulton - Edwards with Davenport as the swing tackle and Kelemete and Mancz IOL depth
WR: Hopkins, Fuller, Matthews, Isabella, & Coutee
QB: Watson and Hundley
RB: Miller, Foreman, and Feaster
TE: Thomas, Akins, and Griffin

Defense
DE: Watt, Covington, Watkins, and Wren
NT: Reader, Dunn
MLB: McKinney, Cunningham, Cole
OLB: Mercilus, Clowney, Ejiofor, Kalambayi
S: Mathieu, K. Jackson, Reid, Hal
CB: Dennard, M. Jackson, Joseph, Colvin

I would do a couple of things differently but this looks like a good plan to me.

Joseph, Colvin, Johnson, Jackson/Joyner, and Bademosi would all be on the roster, with Hal, Reid and Mathieu as the safeties.

It's silly to think you need any DBs in that scenario, especially when you have a bottom 5 offensive line.
With that lineup it is silly to think they wouldn't.

Is this now a fantasy thread?

What do you mean now? It was a fantasy thread from the first post. It does say ideal offseason so it can be given a pass for not being realistic. Like assuming all these players will agree to the price we set or that no other team will out bid us on FA or that those draft picks will still be there. So yes it is a fantasy thread.

well hopefully the GM and billy make the right choices

on offensive I think the most galring need Is we need to find a Great LT ...pretty much

and in defense we need to find some good DB's kjaxs and j joe cant play forever ...and we have young dbs had a lot of them but none have stuck yet

and hopefully we can keep CLowney and Watt.. and all out Lbers of our choosing I think right now most of our cap money is geared to the defense since our offensive is sooooo young

Reactions: Max

Have you watched the secondary this season? I'm good with the safeties but the CB play has been downright awful. JJo has definitely fell off and will probably be cut this offseason.

well hopefully the GM and billy make the right choices

on offensive I think the most galring need Is we need to find a Great LT ...pretty much

and in defense we need to find some good DB's kjaxs and j joe cant play forever ...and we have young dbs had a lot of them but none have stuck yet

and hopefully we can keep CLowney and Watt.. and all out Lbers of our choosing I think right now most of our cap money is geared to the defense since our offensive is sooooo young
Out of curiosity, are you from the Netherlands?

Have you watched the secondary this season? I'm good with the safeties but the CB play has been downright awful. JJo has definitely fell off and will probably be cut this offseason.

JJO was the defensive player of the month in the AFC for October. Just sayin. Also Kareem Jackson is the 4th best graded CB in the NFL this year. I wouldnt say our CB situation is dire at all. Needs depth? Sure. I'd say WR is a more glaring need currently. Apart from the obvious OL issues.

edit: its the PFF player of the month not the NFL according to grade.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/01/pro-football-focus-texans-cb-johnathan-joseph/

#Texans CB Johnathan Joseph receives @PFF's AFC Defensive Player of the Month award for October!

In that time, Joseph's overall grade (91.9) and coverage grade (91.9) both ranked 1st among all corners. He also produced an INT, 3 PBU's and allowed a passer rating of just 37.7!

Last edited:
JJO was the defensive player of the month in the AFC for October. Just sayin. Also Kareem Jackson is the 4th best graded CB in the NFL this year. I wouldnt say our CB situation is dire at all. Needs depth? Sure. I'd say WR is a more glaring need currently. Apart from the obvious OL issues.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/01/pro-football-focus-texans-cb-johnathan-joseph/
Situations that hurt us and expose our weakness at corner is when we play a team with a wr like T Y Hilton. We just can't cover those guys. That is where we need a faster, quicker, more athletic corner.

Situations that hurt us and expose our weakness at corner is when we play a team with a wr like T Y Hilton. We just can't cover those guys. That is where we need a faster, quicker, more athletic corner.

I would start by NOT putting the 3rd sting CB on the star WR ... against any primetime wideout I'd have KJAX shadow and let JJO keep taking half of the field away. Shareece Wright should be only a special teamer .. where the hell is Colvin? Such a waste for the highest paid FA we picked up last year. Nice job Gaine .. first screw up! Ideally you would have KJAX-JJO-MAthieu-Reid-Colvin out there, but for whatever reason Wright and some other JAGS are getting a bunch of playing time.

the only reason J joe is playing is the guy behind him Wright was getting torched and beat like a drum none of the younger guys ...could not even play good enough to over take J joe and we have a decent amount of DB depth

I would start by NOT putting the 3rd sting CB on the star WR ... against any primetime wideout I'd have KJAX shadow and let JJO keep taking half of the field away. Shareece Wright should be only a special teamer .. where the hell is Colvin? Such a waste for the highest paid FA we picked up last year. Nice job Gaine .. first screw up! Ideally you would have KJAX-JJO-MAthieu-Reid-Colvin out there, but for whatever reason Wright and some other JAGS are getting a bunch of playing time.

Is Colvin healthy yet?

The problem with Colvin is he has been injured most the year. Kind of hard to gauge what we have. I wont say he is a miss by Gaine, but we have no idea if he is a hit.

but we do know how well he played last year and what we were expecting to get .. its not GAines fault that Colvin couldnt get stay healthy I understand that, but its still a results orientated business. Im hoping he can become a consistent piece of the secondary, I liked what he did for JAX last year.

KJax was playing lights out at safety. I kinda chuckle anymore when I see pro football focus being used as a reference. Houston is 26th in passing defense, If you're ok with that, I'll start chuckling at you too.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/position/defense

Yup JJO is so washed up:

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/1075088203902840832

and so @DocBar since you discount any PFF related stat (wierd its a pretty standard measuring tool across many platforms) what do you use to assess? The eye test? Just curious. Maybe you use another metric.

Is he older and near the end? Absolutely. Is he a liability and a reason for struggle? No way whatsoever. Prone to injury at times sure, but hes been solid for this team this year.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-pass-defenses

JJO sitting in a group with 12 passes defensed so far this year.

Yup JJO is so washed up:

and so @DocBar since you discount any PFF related stat (wierd its a pretty standard measuring tool across many platforms) what do you use to assess? The eye test? Just curious. Maybe you use another metric.

Is he older and near the end? Absolutely. Is he a liability and a reason for struggle? No way whatsoever. Prone to injury at times sure, but hes been solid for this team this year.

I think JJo is still a very good corner, mainly because he is a very smart and experienced corner. His age is catching up with him, though. He doesn't play as tight to the line because he has to give himself more cushion and he is more susceptible to the short, underneath, passing game. His high football IQ allows him to compensate for his declining physical abilities. It doesn't help that we lack depth at CB and I would add that it is the third CB who his hurting us much more than JJo and KJax.

Yup JJO is so washed up:

I mostly use the eyeball test after watching each game multiple times.

I think JJo is still a very good corner, mainly because he is a very smart and experienced corner. His age is catching up with him, though. He doesn't play as tight to the line because he has to give himself more cushion and he is more susceptible to the short, underneath, passing game. His high football IQ allows him to compensate for his declining physical abilities. It doesn't help that we lack depth at CB and I would add that it is the third CB who his hurting us much more than JJo and KJax.
I heard Stanford Rout the other day and he said Jjo does what he has done since he was in the league and that is give a cushion, using his IQ to anticipate. Limits the big play. In my time watching him since he has been here, the cushion has been there. Sure he may not be a 4.2 cover guy anymore, but his approach has not changed that much. I think we should bring in a young guy to learn from him, as others have said, Jjo would be a great mentor or coach with his habits and off the field mentality

I heard Stanford Rout the other day and he said Jjo does what he has done since he was in the league and that is give a cushion, using his IQ to anticipate. Limits the big play. In my time watching him since he has been here, the cushion has been there. Sure he may not be a 4.2 cover guy anymore, but his approach has not changed that much. I think we should bring in a young guy to learn from him, as others have said, Jjo would be a great mentor or coach with his habits and off the field mentality

yeah, he coached up Bouye pretty good... :kitten:

I think JJo works when the pass rush is cooking and they are not playing quick pass teams .

Well a lot of that cap space would be on the defensive side of the ball if we tagged and kept him, and we still need OL and CB.

I don’t know what a franchise tag price would be for next year. Is he going to be classified as DE or OLB? That could be anywhere 16-19 million for one year.

I just want to explore all of the options.

His tag number would be between 12-14m. Not a terrible sum for a player of his quality / ability.

I think J joe and Jackson have 2 go its the patriot way a year early rather then late our CB depth is actually quite large we have 9 other CB's behind them ..its just either they all are not good or just havent been given any time

there comes a time were u just gotta roll the dice and hope for the best LOL

It will be a 20% increase on this year, so $14.767 mil.

Not ground breaking numbers at all.

I'd much rather see them come to a 4 year agreement at those numbers than trading him …. you can do that next year after tagging him a second time if it comes to that.

Actually, little too old to toy with Madden.....this is my reality. I would make moves to better this team and with a draft this deep in defensive talent, those traded can be replaced and kept for less money over the next 4-5 years. Yeah, these moves could be reality....nothing too far fetched.

I get the idea of preparing the roster for when Watson is a huge percentage of the cap …. but what happens when the majority of those draft picks you got as compensation for quality players bust or take two years to develop ?

The next two years are the Texans window , after that , Watson goes from being 1.7% of the cap to 17% (or more) of the cap and its much harder to fill the roster with good players. This is the time we splurge in free agency and retain our good veteran players within reason and supplement that with the draft.

You replace all those vets with rookies and we're taking a step back. That's what rebuilding teams do …. not teams that are looking to win it all.

I'm concerned with the next two years , beyond that …. things change with that monster QB contract looming.

First things first , free agency …. Who are the best CB and OT on the market ?! I'm knocking on their door ….

I get the idea of preparing the roster for when Watson is a huge percentage of the cap …. but what happens when the majority of those draft picks you got as compensation for quality players bust or take two years to develop ?

The next two years are the Texans window , after that , Watson goes from being 1.7% of the cap to 17% (or more) of the cap and its much harder to fill the roster with good players. This is the time we splurge in free agency and retain our good veteran players within reason and supplement that with the draft.

You replace all those vets with rookies and we're taking a step back. That's what rebuilding teams do …. not teams that are looking to win it all.

I'm concerned with the next two years , beyond that …. things change with that monster QB contract looming.

First things first , free agency …. Who are the best CB and OT on the market ?! I'm knocking on their door ….

I agree but this organization has gone about building the Texans all wrong. They've missed so many drafts that their quality depth is non-existent. They have far too many holes to repair via FA.....not to mention, this team just hasn't been the type to make a big splash in FA from a financial standpoint.

I didn't buy into this season's 11-5 record and have a hard time feeling that with next season's schedule, getting to 8 wins could be a major achievement. I just don't think the Texans are a few band-aids away from competing in the SB much less knocking off a team like the Colts. Jags might be a completely different team next season, when they're healthy and possibly have Nick Foles at QB.

Last edited:
Not ground breaking numbers at all.

I'd much rather see them come to a 4 year agreement at those numbers than trading him …. you can do that next year after tagging him a second time if it comes to that.

I just don't see Clowney as a 15M a season OLB. He can fade out of games as quick as he can impact a game. I see the potential of a Cushing situation arising with Clowney and that makes a 4 year deal tough. I'm also a little worried about how Clowney will handle his new contract.....does he really commit to becoming better or does he just relax knowing he just got paid.

If that Clowney money could help make a deal for Patrick Peterson more viable.....I'd be fine with the move knowing that adding Peterson at CB could pay bigger dividends than having Clowney at OLB in 2019. I wonder if the Cardinals would have any interest in a Clowney for Peterson deal?

Back