Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ideal Offseason Scenario

This is why I think it is always a combination of talent and coaching - is the Colts OL more talented than the Texans, uhh YEAH - no question. But when the Colts played the Evil Mastermind (Patriots coach - you know who I mean) that Oline didn't look nearly so good.

The Evil Mastermind is brilliant at a game plan for each opponent, it says quite a bit about him that he can still confuse Luck with coverages and line calls.

Do I expect BoB to = the Evil Mastermind, no - but I would like to actually see some of this game plan for each opponent stuff - to me it just always looks like old school "we're going to line up and do what we do, and if we can't beat you that way we didn't deserve to win" mentality. It didn't even look like we tried to get to Luck our brilliant scheme was to every now and then move Clowney inside.

Could have been a talent issue - but as many on here pointed out, at least for a play - one damn play, try and jam the receivers at the line, maybe it would have failed and they got a TD off of you, but your normal plan wasn't working either.

What do I know - it's way to dang early and I am severely caffeine deficient - in simple terms, I don't really see the Texans try and do enough to be innovative during a game, I haven't quit on BoB yet I think he is a mediocre HC/OC at the moment but give him another draft, if the talent from that draft sucks or he fails to use it (after having his hand-picked GM) then he has to go.

edit: by innovative - I want to be clear I'm not talking about trick plays and gadgets, but specifically in a game, move away from what they normally do and try something else. Again as an example - our DB's are back peddling and being run by - let's try and jam that 'tiny' receiver Ty Hilton, just knock him on his ass at the line and see if we can throw off their timing - something.
I recall much tighter coverage in the playoff game against the Colts. I guess I can rewatch, but it was like crap, we are up on these guys. We lost because our offense stunk it up and DW4 picked a bad day to have a bad day. Defense was not great, but to say RAC did not try something different is not true, or my memory fails me now. RAC did not get enough heat on Luck as well. I want someone who can push the middle and not just the edges, and this is not with Clowney stunts

This is why I think it is always a combination of talent and coaching - is the Colts OL more talented than the Texans, uhh YEAH - no question. But when the Colts played the Evil Mastermind (Patriots coach - you know who I mean) that Oline didn't look nearly so good.

The Evil Mastermind is brilliant at a game plan for each opponent, it says quite a bit about him that he can still confuse Luck with coverages and line calls.

Do I expect BoB to = the Evil Mastermind, no - but I would like to actually see some of this game plan for each opponent stuff - to me it just always looks like old school "we're going to line up and do what we do, and if we can't beat you that way we didn't deserve to win" mentality. It didn't even look like we tried to get to Luck our brilliant scheme was to every now and then move Clowney inside.

Could have been a talent issue - but as many on here pointed out, at least for a play - one damn play, try and jam the receivers at the line, maybe it would have failed and they got a TD off of you, but your normal plan wasn't working either.

What do I know - it's way to dang early and I am severely caffeine deficient - in simple terms, I don't really see the Texans try and do enough to be innovative during a game, I haven't quit on BoB yet I think he is a mediocre HC/OC at the moment but give him another draft, if the talent from that draft sucks or he fails to use it (after having his hand-picked GM) then he has to go.

edit: by innovative - I want to be clear I'm not talking about trick plays and gadgets, but specifically in a game, move away from what they normally do and try something else. Again as an example - our DB's are back peddling and being run by - let's try and jam that 'tiny' receiver Ty Hilton, just knock him on his ass at the line and see if we can throw off their timing - something.
I recall much tighter coverage in the playoff game against the Colts. I guess I can rewatch, but it was like crap, we are up on these guys. We lost because our offense stunk it up and DW4 picked a bad day to have a bad day. Defense was not great, but to say RAC did not try something different is not true, or my memory fails me now. RAC did not get enough heat on Luck as well. I want someone who can push the middle and not just the edges, and this is not with Clowney stunts

Did you watch the Colts game? because they didn't play the Patriots in the playoffs lol. They played the Pats in week 5, but we had quite a bit more success against their line in week 4(4 sacks) then the Patriots did in week 5(1 sack).

I guess you might be talking about KC who the Colts actually played after us. Their defense finished #1 in sacks last season though with 52, we finished tied for 11th with 43. Chiefs had the best pass rush in the league last year, mainly because Chris Jones is a beast up the middle, so QBs can't step up and it allows guys like Dee Ford and Justin Houston to feast.

At least for my part, I was referring to when the Colts played the Pats week 5 - maybe not the fairest comparison as I think the Colts were 1-3 at the time, but people were already commenting on how improved their Oline was - and I'm not specifically talking about sacks, that's one way to disrupt Luck for sure, but a lot of times when we play the Colt's it looks like pitch and catch Luck knows exactly where his receiver (often his first read) will be and exactly when he needs to throw the ball - why? Because he knows we are going to cut them loose at the line and just let them run their route, and they are faster than we are. When I watch Pat's game they mix the coverages and Luck has to come off his primary read etc. etc. etc.

At least for my part, I was referring to when the Colts played the Pats week 5 - maybe not the fairest comparison as I think the Colts were 1-3 at the time, but people were already commenting on how improved their Oline was - and I'm not specifically talking about sacks, that's one way to disrupt Luck for sure, but a lot of times when we play the Colt's it looks like pitch and catch Luck knows exactly where his receiver (often his first read) will be and exactly when he needs to throw the ball - why? Because he knows we are going to cut them loose at the line and just let them run their route, and they are faster than we are. When I watch Pat's game they mix the coverages and Luck has to come off his primary read etc. etc. etc.

To mix coverages you have to have the guys who can play both. OB was pretty clear in one of his last pressers that we need guys who can play man. We just didn't have guys really capable of playing man and sticking with their receivers, so we were forced to play zone against them, and Luck can and did pick us apart with it.

Yeah I'm not really disagreeing with anything you say here - I was focused on one piece instead of writing a treatise on why the Texans lost to the Colts (twice in a short period of time) more of just an I don't see a game plan per opponent type thing happening which is what's been preached.

However I don't recall us doing much to disrupt Luck (and not just Luck here, any good QB we play - and we were a bad defensive against above average QB's). Again nothing is ever as black or white as it is on a message forum and I would make a horrible coach - but if your plan is not working let's try something else, did we blitz yeah, did it work, no - so try and blitz where everyone but the CB's come, hell have RAC himself charge off the sideline, throw a damn chair at him (e.g. do something CRAZY, or at least unexpected).

On the receiver playing tighter at the line - that isn't what I mean, even with 'tight' coverage at the line TY just runs by our guys - I mean JAM them, especially Ty, someone in his face and when the ball is snapped plant him on his butt type of thing.

During the playoff game - on the offensive side, different scenario but my same concern Watson was horrible, what exactly did we change to help the young QB out?

Two players on the trade block I would prioritize:

Trae Waynes starting CB Minnesota Vikings.

John Ross WR Cincinnati Bengals.

Both former first round picks that haven’t lived up to expectations and can likely be had for mid round picks. The ability is there just hasn’t worked out for various reasons. The Patriots pick up underperforming talented players at a discount every offseason (Trent Brown and Danny Shelton last season for example). It’s time the Texans do the same!

Waynes especially do to need at the position. But Ross would make excellent insurance for Fuller in terms of need for scheme. Every team needs a field stretcher!

To mix coverages you have to have the guys who can play both. OB was pretty clear in one of his last pressers that we need guys who can play man. We just didn't have guys really capable of playing man and sticking with their receivers, so we were forced to play zone against them, and Luck can and did pick us apart with it.

Again - I don't really want to reopen this entire can of worms - and this isn't directed at you but at BoB's answer.

But I find his answer to be a bullsh*t excuse - by the end of the season they didn't have guys who could play either, but you stuck with one - it wasn't working, try something different, it may also not work, but at least you tried.

Like I said I would make a horrible coach and I understand the NFL is a different type of beast - but in my line of work if I have staff who have a set of deliverables and what they are doing IS NOT working, I have two options continue to do what we know isn't working, or make a change. Making that change may be a complete failure, and I have to change again. But I can not just keep doing the same thing that isn't working, regardless of the skillsets I have at my disposal. Adapt, adjust, overcome or be replaced by people who will.

Did you watch the Colts game? because they didn't play the Patriots in the playoffs lol. They played the Pats in week 5, but we had quite a bit more success against their line in week 4(4 sacks) then the Patriots did in week 5(1 sack).

I guess you might be talking about KC who the Colts actually played after us. Their defense finished #1 in sacks last season though with 52, we finished tied for 11th with 43. Chiefs had the best pass rush in the league last year, mainly because Chris Jones is a beast up the middle, so QBs can't step up and it allows guys like Dee Ford and Justin Houston to feast.

Whoops,

I guess that kind of kills that narrative.

Figures you would say this.

I dont think you really believe this.

Main difference in the last 2 Colts games was Luck outplayed Watson.

Texans CB's were pathetic. Colts OL was dominant.

Man that rookie coach made game time adjustments , exploited the hell out of our weaknesses. He had his team better prepared knowing Obrien was going to to run the same lame duck crap. Knowing RAC wasn't going to bring any type of heat, other than rush 4. Did you not watch those freaking games.

And guess what the Colts CBs were pathetic against the Chiefs and a lot of other teams. Obrien ran a skit load of vanilla crap in the beginning. Once we got deep into the grand canyon is when lame duck decided to open skit up.

Yeah I'm not really disagreeing with anything you say here - I was focused on one piece instead of writing a treatise on why the Texans lost to the Colts (twice in a short period of time) more of just an I don't see a game plan per opponent type thing happening which is what's been preached.

However I don't recall us doing much to disrupt Luck (and not just Luck here, any good QB we play - and we were a bad defensive against above average QB's). Again nothing is ever as black or white as it is on a message forum and I would make a horrible coach - but if your plan is not working let's try something else, did we blitz yeah, did it work, no - so try and blitz where everyone but the CB's come, hell have RAC himself charge off the sideline, throw a damn chair at him (e.g. do something CRAZY, or at least unexpected).

On the receiver playing tighter at the line - that isn't what I mean, even with 'tight' coverage at the line TY just runs by our guys - I mean JAM them, especially Ty, someone in his face and when the ball is snapped plant him on his butt type of thing.

During the playoff game - on the offensive side, different scenario but my same concern Watson was horrible, what exactly did we change to help the young QB out?
Yeah, we are on the same page, game plan offense, really, don't see it. We need better man CB's who can press and be physical, current guys limit what you can do. Agree, our defense is lethal against average to below average QBs but cannot stop the elite passers, thus I want the bigger more physical corners and a push up the middle.

I know we have Coutee for the slot but Cobb is a seasoned vet and I believe he runs decent routes.
Last years Colts.
It's an arms race.
Yes, last years Colts. We have no idea what next year's Colts will be. My point is, we are just a couple of pieces away from jumping ahead of them. Even with the bad oline, add a shutdown corner and last season's matchups are much different. We don't lose the second game and there wouldnt be a third. Next years Colts don't scare me. If we make the right moves this off season we should be able to compete with them. We are just a couple pieces away from being able to hang any team. With a decent oline, this offense will be deadly; fix the cornerbacks and this should be a legitimate shutdown defense.

Man that rookie coach made game time adjustments , exploited the hell out of our weaknesses. He had his team better prepared knowing Obrien was going to to run the same lame duck crap. Knowing RAC wasn't going to bring any type of heat, other than rush 4. Did you not watch those freaking games.

And guess what the Colts CBs were pathetic against the Chiefs and a lot of other teams. Obrien ran a skit load of vanilla crap in the beginning. Once we got deep into the grand canyon is when lame duck decided to open skit up.

This would be correct if the Colts hadn't scored 21 pts in the 1st half.

The offenses issues could've had something to do with
1. Watson not playing well
2. Look at the weapons that Mahomes has to work with vs Watson.

Houston- Watson/Miller/Hopkins/Coutee/V. Smith/Ryan F'n Griffin

K. C.- Mahomes/Williams/Hill/Kelce/Watkins/Conley. 2 all pro's and 2 productive vets with playoff experience. For god's sake, the Texans were starting 2 rookie WR's, a banged up Miller and Ryan F'n Griffin.

Nowhere did I mention the OL playing like crap, which is the biggest reason for the offenses ineptitude.

Yeah, dat's it, dat's it, yeah. It was the next team that the Colts played. I watched the game for the sole purpose of admiring and appreciating the line play of the Colts. Maybe the issue for me, was the fact that Luck hadn't been able to play, in forever. They hoped he would come back at some point, with some portion of his effectiveness remaining, and they made it a priority to protect him. If he turned out to be a mere shell of his former self, they would be forced to find a new QB .... but for whomsoever was throwing the passes, or running the ball, they made a commitment to improve their effectiveness through the foundation, er .... line. I enjoy watching a good offensive line. I loved watching the Texan's line under Kubiak .... I like offense, and plenty of it. The beauty of Kubiak's line was, it didn't have to be made up of all 1st and 2nd round picks. He used 2nd and 3rd round picks who weren't the rare, 1st round behemoths .... but rather - smaller, more athletic players who worked together like a well-oiled machine .... fun to watch ! Problem is, much of the league has gone back to collegiate offenses - zone, spread, west coast, and are scoring more and more points. So the value of the smaller lineman has risen a round or two .... more competition and earlier draft picks for smaller players .... but really, can you put a price tag on immortality ?

Yeah, dat's it, dat's it, yeah. It was the next team that the Colts played. I watched the game for the sole purpose of admiring and appreciating the line play of the Colts. Maybe the issue for me, was the fact that Luck hadn't been able to play, in forever. They hoped he would come back at some point, with some portion of his effectiveness remaining, and they made it a priority to protect him. If he turned out to be a mere shell of his former self, they would be forced to find a new QB .... but for whomsoever was throwing the passes, or running the ball, they made a commitment to improve their effectiveness through the foundation, er .... line. I enjoy watching a good offensive line. I loved watching the Texan's line under Kubiak .... I like offense, and plenty of it. The beauty of Kubiak's line was, it didn't have to be made up of all 1st and 2nd round picks. He used 2nd and 3rd round picks who weren't the rare, 1st round behemoths .... but rather - smaller, more athletic players who worked together like a well-oiled machine .... fun to watch ! Problem is, much of the league has gone back to collegiate offenses - zone, spread, west coast, and are scoring more and more points. So the value of the smaller lineman has risen a round or two .... more competition and earlier draft picks for smaller players .... but really, can you put a price tag on immortality ?

Yet those beautiful Gibbs OL's (I agree with you) didn't help the Texans score more points than last yrs crap OL did.

Yes, last years Colts. We have no idea what next year's Colts will be. My point is, we are just a couple of pieces away from jumping ahead of them. Even with the bad oline, add a shutdown corner and last season's matchups are much different. We don't lose the second game and there wouldnt be a third. Next years Colts don't scare me. If we make the right moves this off season we should be able to compete with them. We are just a couple pieces away from being able to hang any team. With a decent oline, this offense will be deadly; fix the cornerbacks and this should be a legitimate shutdown defense.
Generally agree although I personally would like to see us pushing to go over the top.
Fixing the oline is paramount.
Getting Watson more hot reads will help the line and prevent a lot of sacks so some wideout help would be wise.
And a strong ground game. This cannot be stressed enough - when you have both, it opens up the offense and takes pressure off the QB - really helpful when developing a younger guy.
Add a couple of good CBs and all this would make this a dangerous team indeed.

Generally agree although I personally would like to see us pushing to go over the top.
Fixing the oline is paramount.
Getting Watson more hot reads will help the line and prevent a lot of sacks so some wideout help would be wise.
And a strong ground game. This cannot be stressed enough - when you have both, it opens up the offense and takes pressure off the QB - really helpful when developing a younger guy.
Add a couple of good CBs and all this would make this a dangerous team indeed.
Watson will enter the season one year wiser than last season. I think this will make a big impact on the offense. He will have had the off-season, train camp and preseason to digest and learn from last year.

I would like to see them add two CBs, but one young, fast, agressive, shutdown corner will make a huge difference IMHO.

They have got to fix the oline. Hopefully they do, but I will believe it when I see it. Not that I don't think they can, but they haven't had much success in then past and it is too early to form an opinion of how this BOB/Gaine thing is going to workout. I am optimistically skeptical.

Derek Foreman, D'Onta' father, was on the triple threat yesterday afternoon
I caught the segment as it was ending so I went back to listen to it today.

The only thing that really stood out to me was, D’Onta and Bill had a private sit down meeting before D’Onta came back. I’m guessing it was Bill having a little heart to heart with Foreman. But supposedly both sides left with a better understanding of each other, Foreman was happy with how the meeting went and knew what he needed to do going forward. Now with reports of how dedicated he is so far this off season, and how great of shape he is in(apparently he is also taking boxing classes) it would appear Bill’s message sunk in.

This is the type of stuff that makes players respect their coach, he identified an issue, didn’t just give up on the kid but sat him down like a man and told him what needed to be done.

https://www.battleredblog.com/battl...3821/houston-texans-news-february-28-2019-nfl

Bell reportedly wants $17M annually and $48M guaranteed. There's no way, IMO, that he settles for a $10M a year cap hit.

He wants a bigger contract than Gurley. Gurley's cap hits are...

Year 1 - $17.25M
Year 2 - $13.20M
Year 3 - $14.20M
Year 4 - $12.45M
to be clear Gurley's $45 million gtd has almost $23 million pushed to future seasons beginning in 2020 with roster bonuses for 2020 thru 2023 avg $5 m plus. IF he's unable to meet roster there will be no GTD; same could be done with Bell reducing risk. If Gurley out after 2019 for any reason dead money is about $13m. The $21 million signing bonus made up the rest and that was prorated at $4.2 each with small amounts pushed back into 2018 and 2019; so a six year spread not four. I think Bell can be given a lesser but comparable deal that offers lower caps with his GTD paid off at end of 2022 when he is 30 and that is a reasonable age for a RB in his prime. Similar roster bonuses could reduced Bell dead money to after this season to very similar and probably less than Gurley.

The first game we got to Luck but the last two games the Colts adjusted and we didn't touch him. That's what you call coaching with a legitimate game plan.

Two players on the trade block I would prioritize:

Trae Waynes starting CB Minnesota Vikings.

John Ross WR Cincinnati Bengals.

Both former first round picks that haven’t lived up to expectations and can likely be had for mid round picks. The ability is there just hasn’t worked out for various reasons. The Patriots pick up underperforming talented players at a discount every offseason (Trent Brown and Danny Shelton last season for example). It’s time the Texans do the same!

Waynes especially do to need at the position. But Ross would make excellent insurance for Fuller in terms of need for scheme. Every team needs a field stretcher!
2nd round tender has been placed on Ross.

Tender? He's under contract thru 2020
let me try to find link I saw for this.

edit: I think what I did was read the info about Ross a possible trade and comparing Amari Cooper who got a first to Oakland from Dallas and another player who got a third. My mind went to second rounder possibility but have no clue why I typed tender.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
With a 5th year option for any team who trades for him.
yes that and speed makes him interesting if we could get him for a second rounder and if he could catch a pass 21 of 58 targets 2018 in ten starts. He had ACL in 2016 and shoulder labrum 2017 after declaring for draft. Hands at 8 3/4 at combine.

Watson will enter the season one year wiser than last season. I think this will make a big impact on the offense. He will have had the off-season, train camp and preseason to digest and learn from last year.

I would like to see them add two CBs, but one young, fast, agressive, shutdown corner will make a huge difference IMHO.

They have got to fix the oline. Hopefully they do, but I will believe it when I see it. Not that I don't think they can, but they haven't had much success in then past and it is too early to form an opinion of how this BOB/Gaine thing is going to workout. I am optimistically skeptical.
Another option that could help and kill two birds with one stone is a good receiving/blocking TE - a good TE is a QB's best friend.
T.J. Hockenson is being hailed as the best TE to come out for some time and is adept at both skills but it is going to be a miracle if he falls to us. Perhaps some sort of trade up to get him will be required.

Another option that could help and kill two birds with one stone is a good receiving/blocking TE - a good TE is a QB's best friend.
T.J. Hockenson is being hailed as the best TE to come out for some time and is adept at both skills but it is going to be a miracle if he falls to us. Perhaps some sort of trade up to get him will be required.
TE is not a position I would target in this draft. Too many other, more pressing, needs and I think that with some work Jordan Thomas could be that TE you are looking for.

Doubt It. Hear 49ers join Buccaneers amongst his serious suitors. Hear Texans discussing parameters / deal on other potential FA Safeties. REAL interest on Bears Adrian Amos Jr.

— Chad Forbes (@NFLDraftBites) March 1, 2019

Moderation edit: This in reference to Tyrann Mathieu or Honey Badger

Last edited by a moderator:
TE is not a position I would target in this draft. Too many other, more pressing, needs and I think that with some work Jordan Thomas could be that TE you are looking for.

Certainly not with the 1st, and a trade up for him would be ludicrous

Better pure blocking TE's available... Hockenson may be the next Gronk, but he is not the best blocker. I agree, add depth, but don't be ridiculous

I'd take Amos over Mathieu. And I quite like Mathieu.

Only concern there though is whether Amos is that much better a safety than Tyrann is a lockerroom leader.

Reactions: JB
I agree somewhat - considering how bad our line and secondary are. However, a blocking TE also helps the line and a good receiving one Watson's hot reads.
Having a potential Travis Kelce on this team would change the dynamic big time.
I fail to see how that would not be a good thing.

I agree somewhat - considering how bad our line and secondary are. However, a blocking TE also helps the line and a good receiving one Watson's hot reads.
Having a potential Travis Kelce on this team would change the dynamic big time.
I fail to see how that would not be a good thing.

what part of his statement do you not agree with?

Not bothering with the TE position at all.
If Hockenson is there, I say take him.

Not targeting is not the same as not taking if he fell. Don't know if I'd spend 1-23 on him if a top 3 CB or OL fell

Not targeting is not the same as not taking if he fell. Don't know if I'd spend 1-23 on him if a top 3 CB or OL fell
The CB they will take will have to be very good at man if OB has any say in it. The best man cover CB is Greedy Williams and he happens to have the size they covet too so if he is there then he is a strong possible target. Do they take him over an Andre Dillard, Cody Ford or Jawaan Taylor if they fall?

I have seen Hockeson mocked as one of the five best PLAYERS in the draft, not picked that high, but a stud and already a good blocker and ace receiver. So if he is on the board at 23, take him. NFL.COM has only one tackle taken before we pick. Cody Ford, most of the left OT's, CB all on the board. Wealth of guys available we need. Could be a trade down scenario..... Still get good talent at position of need and extra picks. Seems like when we have the top pick, never the clear #1 available, could be a year where our needs are not run on in the first and we get a steal

I have seen Hockeson mocked as one of the five best PLAYERS in the draft, not picked that high, but a stud and already a good blocker and ace receiver. So if he is on the board at 23, take him. NFL.COM has only one tackle taken before we pick. Cody Ford, most of the left OT's, CB all on the board. Wealth of guys available we need. Could be a trade down scenario..... Still get good talent at position of need and extra picks. Seems like when we have the top pick, never the clear #1 available, could be a year where our needs are not run on in the first and we get a steal
I think Williams, Dillard and Taylor definitely go before our pick. Ford could be there strangely enough.

The CB they will take will have to be very good at man if OB has any say in it. The best man cover CB is Greedy Williams and he happens to have the size they covet too so if he is there then he is a strong possible target. Do they take him over an Andre Dillard, Cody Ford or Jawaan Taylor if they fall?

Depends on what they do in FA and how the draft falls.

If they dont sign Brown in FA then Dillard is the pick. (Gotta protect Watson) If they sign Brown, I would probably still pick Dillard and secure the OL positions for the next 5 yrs. But there's certainly a case for picking Greedy.

Now that I think about it I would pick Greedy and trade back up into the late 1st/top of the 2nd and pick the best OT available if Brown is signed in FA.

Latest ideal offseason:
Trade our 3rd round pick to Minnesota for Trae Waynes
Sign OT Trent Brown, QB Brett Hundley, SS Adrian Amos & WR Jordan Matthews
Re-sign Mathieu, JD, Covington, Dunn and Fairbairn

1: Best offensive player available (Hockenson, Metcalf or Harmon would be my picks)
2: Yodny Cajuste: if he is better at LT than Henderson is at RT then move Trent Brown back to RT for Cajuste to start at LT
2: Kendall Sheffield: fastest player in the draft? With Waynes covering the bigger receivers, Sheffield is brought on to match up with the TY Hiltons of the world
5: Jalen Jelks: Edge athlete to groom as a potential Mercilus/Clowney replacement down the road
6: Mike Weber: 3rd down back who is an underrated athlete
7: Davante Davis: Will apprentice under Bademosi as a special teams difference maker

Depends on what they do in FA and how the draft falls.

If they dont sign Brown in FA then Dillard is the pick. (Gotta protect Watson) If they sign Brown, I would probably still pick Dillard and secure the OL positions for the next 5 yrs. But there's certainly a case for picking Greedy.

Now that I think about it I would pick Greedy and trade back up into the late 1st/top of the 2nd and pick the best OT available if Brown is signed in FA.
You wouldn't consider Daryl Williams Ja'Wuan James or Donovan Smith? I'm not sure if either are left or right tackles.

You wouldn't consider Daryl Williams or Donovan Smith? I'm not sure if either are left or right tackles.

Smith is supposedly getting the tag if the Bucs can't sign him to a long term deal. Williams is a RT, I wouldn't be oppose to signing him, although he is coming off and injury so you have to be aware of that.

Also kind of a little worried about Brown. He wants to be(and probably will be) the highest paid OT in football. The talent level with him is immense, no question about it. But Dante Scarnecchia had an interesting quote about Brown, at least according to the AM guys on 610(I can't find it anywhere), it was something like "It was an interesting process trying to get Brown to adjust to the Patriots level of practice and preparation" I heard this after I saw some Bay are reporters tweets about how the players and the coaches with the 49ers were less than enthused with Browns work ethic.

I've since read a quotes from Scarnecchia saying how hard Brown has worked to get to where he is, so if there was an adjustment to get him in the right mindset you just hope he keeps that same mindset after getting paid. With that being said I'd still go after him, just something to be aware of

Back