Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans 2018 Playoff Thread

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If Baltimore loses, which I think they will and Pittsburgh wins who will the Texans face if they finish with the 3rd seed?
Pittsburgh would be the AFC North winner and have the 4 seed. If the Texans win, they win the AFC South and the winner of the Colts-tAcks game gets the 6 seed. I just drove 1,200 miles listening to the NFL channel.

I see the seeding as follows
1. Chiefs (They are showing some holes on the team, especially on the D)
2. Patriots (Brady and Gronk don't seem like their normal selves. Not sure about their D, either.)
3. Texans (An OL and secondary away from being elite. Looking forward to FA and the draft. Unless Watson does what Watson does. I keep "what iffing" if "in the grasp hadn't been called last Sunday.)
4. Ravens (I'm torn on this one. I'd really like to see Mayfield set the record for rookie TDs and get the win, but the Steelers scare me more than the Ravens. This is why I've never really had two favorite teams in one sport.)
5. Chargers (If they're smart, they rest everyone in week 17.)
6. Colts (They actually seem like the most complete team of the 6. That pisses me off)
I see a repeat of the last meeting between the Colts and Texans which, oddly enough, was also played in Houston.

The Chargers make the proper adjustments and beat the Ravens.

To cut to the chase, I think we'll see an all AFC West AFCCG. The Patriots may pull off a win over the Chargers, but I just don't see it.

If the Texans win against the Colts, they get to travel back to Foxboro where....yeah. We'll just stop there.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
That could have something to do with the Bears having a larger national fan base than the Texans do since they were an original NFL franchise that would make sense. If you could get over your hate of all things BOB maybe you could see this.

BTW, if you think that last weeks game was boring then you must not like watching football.
It also has to do with Snow Birds retiring to warmer climes. That's why Northern teams seem to have so many fans across the country. Fans get old, move where it's warm and keep their loyalty with the hometown team.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Ehh, You guys act like the Colts beat us by 30 the last time we played them...3 pt loss. Time before that 4 pt loss. Zero fear of them if we match up in the playoffs.

There were a few plays in that 2nd game I know DW4 would like to have back. I also Have to believe Clowney would like to redeem himself for how that 2nd game ended.

Yes they know us but we know them too. They’ve also been blanked by the jags recently so they’re not unstoppable.
We finally agree on something. Hilton and Luck scare me but I think we can take them down at home

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I think it depends on the NFC; our game is likely more attractive than the NFC game if it turns out to be Vikings @ Bears; but if its Eagles @ Bears, we're likely in Saturday afternoon.
I don't know. You could be right but I think the Bears command more national attention.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I think we can go to Foxboro and win. The Patriots are vulnerable.
They were vulnerable when we played them two years ago. A team with even 20 percent better offensive output would have won that game. But we didn't because our coach is impotent.

You're right though. They are vulnerable. But wouldn't surprise me if they're just playing possum.

Texas Jake

Rookie
They were vulnerable when we played them two years ago. A team with even 20 percent better offensive output would have won that game. But we didn't because our coach is impotent.

You're right though. They are vulnerable. But wouldn't surprise me if they're just playing possum.
Sometimes opossums get run over and become roadkill.

Texas Jake

Rookie
Patriots home record this year is...? Patriots home playoff record under BB is what now...? That game is not winnable with the team we're fielding this year.
Without the injuries to key players, I would be fairly confident we could go into Foxboro and win. The present state of the team, not so much, but I still think we have a shot if players and coaches step up with their "A" game.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Not really how that works "They were more than a handful for us" doesn't make them not a weak team - they have lost 10 games in the NFL this year - they ARE a weak team.
Its a very strong league this year was my point.
The only "weak" teams I see are the Cards, Bucs, Bengals, Jets, Bills, 49ers and the Raiders.
But that just another subjective opinion. ;)
Without the injuries to key players, I would be fairly confident we could go into Foxboro and win. The present state of the team, not so much, but I still think we have a shot if players and coaches step up with their "A" game.
Its been a while since we have seen this sort of vulnerability in the Pats.
Bur having said that, they probably bounce back with a vengeance against their next hapless opponent.

Insideop

All Pro
That only seems to happen when the Texans play the Bengals in the playoffs and I don't see the Bengals anywhere on the playoff schedule. :D

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
Belichick is 5-0 against Obrien. Patriots are 8-0 at home this year. Belichick/Brady are 21-6 at home overall in the playoffs, with two of those losses coming in back to back wildcard years in 09/10. We do not have the weapons or coaching staff to beat him in January at Foxboro.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Belichick is 5-0 against Obrien. Patriots are 8-0 at home this year. Belichick/Brady are 21-6 at home overall in the playoffs, with two of those losses coming in back to back wildcard years in 09/10. We do not have the weapons or coaching staff to beat him in January at Foxboro.
Cool, so you can go on vacation now while the rest of still have the futility of hope?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Nope, I'll still be at work, and still watching. I sincerely hope Obrien can prove me wrong. Until he does otherwise, we're losing that game.
'That game' isn't even a game yet, but even so, like I said...

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
'That game' isn't even a game yet, but even so, like I said...
Dude I sincerely hope you come in here, point, laugh, and tell me how wrong I was. The writing is on the wall IF we go to Foxboro. We won't even get there though, we losing at home to the clots.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Dude I sincerely hope you come in here, point, laugh, and tell me how wrong I was. The writing is on the wall IF we go to Foxboro. We won't even get there though, we losing at home to the clots.
I am calling it right now -

We beat Indy with defense.

We beat NE with Watson.

We lose to Chargers/Chiefs inspite of a strong defensive showing and Watson heroics. There will be a series of play calls and timeouts that leave us arguing if OB lost the game.

We will argue it all offseason.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I think the Texan’s best matchup in playoffs would be the Ravens. They can’t run the ball on the Texans D and their limitations passing would play well with our limitations at CB. Then it comes down to DW4/Hopkins making enough plays against their elite defense to get the win.

I feel better playing the Ravens on the road than I would playing Colts (or any other team in the hunt) at home.

So witb that I say rest our stars and if we happen to win with Weeden and the preseason team then I guess it’s an ok consolation to host a playoff game with our stars getting a little rest.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Colts kick the Texans ass at NRG. T.Y. Hilton is the second coming of (insert most bad ass HOF WR) against this secondary.

Luck is playing good ball right now. I just don’t see a victory against the Colts.

I’m more confident the Texans beat the Brady’s than the Colts.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Colts kick the Texans ass at NRG. T.Y. Hilton is the second coming of (insert most bad ass HOF WR) against this secondary.

Luck is playing good ball right now. I just don’t see a victory against the Colts.

I’m more confident the Texans beat the Brady’s than the Colts.
Everyone talks about the Colts scoring points like we can’t.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Do the colts have a better qb and hc then the texans....... with growth...at this point I'd rather have a matured/vet Watson over a Luck of today.

I say yes
I'd say the sample size isnt big enough to agree with you on QB.... time will tell.

HC though I'd most definitely agree.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Whelp, it looks like Texans need help at the WR position and there are still some names out there.
Jeff Janis - also a decent return guy; Jeremy Maclin; Malcolm Mitchell - Ex Pats; Breshaud Perriman - has issues with drops.
Offer a Vet minimum, incentivised package.
We gotta try something - what if we beat Jags but one of our receivers goes down late in the game?
We definitely need some help on the bench.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
From PFT:

Texans (10-5): Already in the playoffs, the Texans now need a win over the Jaguars to clinch the AFC South; a loss on Sunday instantly drops Houston to the No. 6 seed, unless the Colts and Titans tie. A win over the Jaguars and a loss by the Patriots to the Jets would secure Houston’s first ever first-round bye. If the Chiefs and the Patriots lose and the Texans win, the Texans would be the No. 1 seed if enough other games go their way to take the strength of victory tiebreaker over the Chiefs.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Whelp, it looks like Texans need help at the WR position and there are still some names out there.
Jeff Janis - also a decent return guy; Jeremy Maclin; Malcolm Mitchell - Ex Pats; Breshaud Perriman - has issues with drops.
Offer a Vet minimum, incentivised package.
We gotta try something - what if we beat Jags but one of our receivers goes down late in the game?
We definitely need some help on the bench.
Perriman is with the Browns. Mitchell filed an injury grievance against the Pats and may not be healthy enough to play. Maclin is still nursing a bad hamstring. I have nothing on Janis, other than he has 17 receptions for 200 yards in his 4 year career.

Terrelle Pryor is a FA. Also, Kendall Wright, Chad Hansen, and Jeremy Kerley. Braxton Miller is on the Eagles practice squad.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
If the Chiefs and the Patriots lose and the Texans win, the Texans would be the No. 1 seed if enough other games go their way to take the strength of victory tiebreaker over the Chiefs.
The Chargers also have to lose.

#1 seed - Texans win + Chiefs lose + Chargers lose + Patriots lose or tie.

#2 seed - Texans win + Patriots lose or tie or,
Texans win + Chiefs lose + Chargers lose or,
Texans lose + Patriots lose + Ravens win + Colts and Titans tie.

#3 seed - Texans win + Patriots win + Chiefs and Chargers both not losing or,
Texans lose + Colts and Titans tie.

#4 seed - not possible.

#5 seed - not possible.

#6 seed - Texans lose + Colts and Titans DON'T tie.

I didn't put all the tie scenarios in there but that's basically what we're looking at.

badboy

Hall of Fame
AFC east and NFC east. Duh.

Do you not know how the schedule rotation works. It worked in our favor and we drew two weak divisions
Its nfl science. Next year won't be the same. 10 wins next year will be dope.

So right now we get indi in playoffs?

Steelers not making the playoffs would be so awesome. Bell wasn't worth the cash lol
If I knew Foreman would have Connor stats 2019 I would pass on Bell..but I do not. Also we have cap for Bell that Steelers didn't.

badboy

Hall of Fame
BOB needs to get it UP!
Stop acting like Fools!

This ain't no prom and you got no clue how to undo a BRA!!!! BOB!!!!

Got to get the hype and start beating fools!

PS. I am high......... cause watching texans makes you want to get high.
Are you going to start going by Bobdabra?

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I know it’s still early but the Texans may play the Colts. Titans don’t look good without Mariota.