Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins traded to Cardinals?

Actually, I want Tunsil signed b/c Watson needs him at LT. I suspect Tunsil will get his false starts in order with a full off-season with Watson and the Texans. I think the deal will be closer to the 21M per season mark but if he elevates his game another notch or two it will pay dividends for the left side of the line. My problem is always going to be OB's, day late, dollar short approach to his GM duties. If OB had negotiated up front, I think he gets his man for 18M per season and trades Clowney straight-up for Tunsil but that's just me. He could keep his 2 RD1 picks and his RD2 pick. We lost Clowney at below market value and obtained Tunsil for much higher than his market value....all the while Miami had a keen interest in Clowney.

Tunsil was never going to sign with the new CBA coming up.

Clowney'refusing to go to Miami is why the deal with Seattle happened. After the Miami deal failed BOB took what he could get .

I’m not telling anyone what to do and I’m damn sure not shitting on Hopkins. And I hate O’Brien as a coach and even more so as a GM. I’m just not going to spend a fraction of amount of time now as I was before in beating this dead horse. Hopkins is gone and there’s nothing I can do about it.

No I get it. He's gone. Au revoire! Im at peace, what can you really do?

You wanna know what I wont do though? Make up and cherry pick stats to somehow quantify how this team can be better off without a future Hall of Famer and better with a concussion risk, and 30 year old running back.

I wont hope beyond hope that all these recently acquired pieces have career years in order for this team to take a step forward and slander or diminish the guys who made this team relevant for years and downplay their production.

Its okay to say you didnt feel Hopkins brought enough to the table to be a player in a SB or even contribute in a SB run. I disagree - simple as that.

Be safe out there.

Its too bad DeAndre Hopkins was never a "game breaker"

“I think he defines NFL receiver,” said Belichick on Wednesday at Gillette Stadium. “If you’re going to put ‘NFL receiver’ in the dictionary, put his picture next to it. He gets open and catches the ball. Doesn’t matter what the route is. Doesn’t matter what the coverage is. Doesn’t matter where the ball is thrown or what the situation is... He’s very, very productive. And he has such a variety of skills and routes. He can really do it all.”

Belichick added that Hopkins has a, “catch radius and hands that are elite, elite.” It’s clear the Patriots are expecting the best from Hopkins on Sunday.

“It’s a big challenge to try and handle him,” Belichick said. “He’s clearly one of the top guys in the league. He gets a lot of coverage and still has an enormous amount of production.”

take it with a grain of salt what does Belichek know about the game anyway right?

You wanna know what I wont do though? Make up and cherry pick stats to somehow quantify how this team can be better off without a future Hall of Famer and better with a concussion risk, and 30 year old running back.

I wont hope beyond hope that all these recently acquired pieces have career years in order for this team to take a step forward and slander or diminish the guys who made this team relevant for years and downplay their production.

Its okay to say you didnt feel Hopkins brought enough to the table to be a player in a SB or even contribute in a SB run. I disagree - simple as that.

Be safe out there.

Your ignore list speaks more about you than any post you could possibly make.

I'm proudly 1st on that misguided list.

As well as being crowned king of the W.B. Club.

Thanks powda.

Its too bad DeAndre Hopkins was never a "game breaker"

take it with a grain of salt what does Belichek know about the game anyway right?

Nobody said Nuk wasn't a good WR.

He's not worth 5 yrs 100 mil with 50-60 guaranteed. IMHO

Be safe out there.
You’re reading things that aren’t there. Of course Hopkins is a super bowl caliber wide receiver. Do you think O’Brien is going to be a winning super bowl head coach? Me neither. Not w/o some weird, freakish luck.

All I’m doing is trying to find a reason to still be interested in the Texans. So I found some stats, and cherry picked the hell out of them. Because i sincerely believe the only person that can get O’Brien out of here is O’Brien.

You’re reading things that aren’t there. Of course Hopkins is a super bowl caliber wide receiver. Do you think O’Brien is going to be a winning super bowl head coach? Me neither. Not w/o some weird, freakish luck.

All I’m doing is trying to find a reason to still be interested in the Texans. So I found some stats, and cherry picked the hell out of them. Because i sincerely believe the only person that can get O’Brien out of here is O’Brien.

Just be interested because it's Houston Texans football. We know how it felt when the Oilers bounced.

Julio Jones who is 31.

Jones' contract extension adds three seasons and $66 million to his current deal, ESPN reported. Of that new money, $64 million is guaranteed at signing, NFL Network reported. The Falcons signed Jones to a five-year contract extension worth $71,256,045 in 2015.Sep 7, 2019

Yeah only in your world.

Julio Jones who is 31.

Jones' contract extension adds three seasons and $66 million to his current deal, ESPN reported. Of that new money, $64 million is guaranteed at signing, NFL Network reported. The Falcons signed Jones to a five-year contract extension worth $71,256,045 in 2015.Sep 7, 2019

Yeah only in your world.

Nuk is a great WR but he's no Julio.

I get it bro I know where you stand on OBrien. Im just irritated in reading posts trying to rationalize getting rid of a franchise icon in his prime because you didnt want to pay him (publicly) but the reality was the coach/gm/Emperor didnt like him. There is no room for vindictiveness and these petty arguments in the boardroom. Business is never personal. If you allow it to become personal you will lose. Further to try and use stats and obscure anecdotal quibs to further that thought along is where it really ruffles me.

Im still a fan believe it or not, getting harder to be, but at this point the ousting of OBrien will be just like celebrating a SB so either way I feel like i'll win! Its just strange to feel the dystopian OBrien Is Dear Leader vibes in random posts - I just cant dig the Stockholm Syndrome where we are made to accept, support and ultimately sympathize and invent rationale to prop up this guy.

Be cool and stay safe!

reminded me of this: (makes a little more sense to me - Obrien felt threatened by Nuk and his confidence because it was too authentic - it encroached on his fake self absorbed cockiness! LOL)

FO has a metric they call (DYAR)
DYAR: Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. A Football Outsiders stat which compares the performance of each player, in terms of DVOA, to a replacement-level baseline rather than the league average for that position, then translates that total into yardage. Because DYAR is a total stat, not a rate stat, it helps show the importance of workhorse running backs and receivers who can draw the attention of the defense away from other players. DYAR replaced DPAR as our method for measuring individual players with the publication of Pro Football Prospectus 2008 in July 2008. The method and the computation of replacement level are discussed further here.

Last year was the first year since the Trashweiler season that Nuk was not in the top 5 in this metric. Coincidence that it coincides with a move to the slot? Nope. Complete correlation, and he still found himself in the top 20 in that role.

Not to boost Nuk's resume further - to continue to try and open eyes how much he left an imprint on the passing game just by occupying defenders.

Who wants to convince me that Brandin Cooks needs to be double teamed every play? Or any other receiver we have currently?

You could argue that Hopkins may be better than Jones had he played in the exact same situation as Jones for his entire career. Obviously we will never know but put Jones on the Texans the past few years and I guarantee he would not be looked at the same way he is now after playing with Matt Ryan and the Falcons.

You can't make an absolute statement like that. We will never know.

What we do know is Julio is the most physically gifted WRs in the NFL in addition to being a great route runner.

FO has a metric they call (DYAR)

Last year was the first year since the Trashweiler season that Nuk was not in the top 5 in this metric. Coincidence that it coincides with a move to the slot? Nope. Complete correlation, and he still found himself in the top 20 in that role.

Not to boost Nuk's resume further - to continue to try and open eyes how much he left an imprint on the passing game just by occupying defenders.

Who wants to convince me that Brandin Cooks needs to be double teamed every play? Or any other receiver we have currently?

If DVOA was all that how have the Texans been a regular playoff participant?

Coaching? LMAO we know it's not that. DVOA is a very overrated stat. This isn't baseball.

This is for all the "DeAndre is slow, his stats will be easy to replace - he isnt THAT big of a factor in a SB run" guys. Keep in mind this is Hopkins working vs what is probably the best CB in football right now ... AND HE HAD TOM SAVAGE THROWING HIM THE BALL!!

edit: that might have been TJ Yates?

edit edit: yep its TJ - Here's the CB matchups using game highlights for that snippet:

Last edited:
This is for all the "DeAndre is slow, his stats will be easy to replace - he isnt THAT big of a factor in a SB run" guys. Keep in mind this is Hopkins working vs what is probably the best CB in football right now ... AND HE HAD TOM SAVAGE THROWING HIM THE BALL!!

edit: that might have been TJ Yates?

Nobody is saying Nuk isn't good. It's just he's not worth paying 100 mil too. Plus walking out of a practice because you dont agree with your boss isn't a good look. I truly hope Nuk gets the $$$$ he wants and is happier in Glendale.

Tunsil was never going to sign with the new CBA coming up.

Clowney'refusing to go to Miami is why the deal with Seattle happened. After the Miami deal failed BOB took what he could get .

Clowney and Tunsil were both in the same position and neither had any real say in where they would've been traded....other than they could try to sit out the season. I don't think Clowney ever even met with the Dolphins. Tunsil didn't mind coming to Houston since he knew he had them over the barrel. If Clowney had been told, hey pack your bags you're going to Miami, I think he shows up with the same attitude as Tunsil.

Nobody is saying Nuk isn't good. It's just he's not worth paying 100 mil too. Plus walking out of a practice because you dont agree with your boss isn't a good look. I truly hope Nuk gets the $$$$ he wants and is happier in Glendale.
The reason he is not worth paying 100 mil to is because the coaching won't let him reach his potential, not because he isn't good enough. He is definitely worth 100 mil in a better system.

Ya'll are putting way too much into this all pro thing. Anyone who has objectively watched both guys over the years knows Julio is the overall better specimen at the WR position and you could make the case that he's the better WR based on the numbers as his are either comparable or are better. look at his numbers from both 2018 and 2019. Yet Nuk was the guy voted all pro in both those years. Why? the only logical conclusion is b/c in those years the Texans were 11-5 and 10-6 & we got a bunch of prime time games for Nuk to showcase that he was at least on the level of the best in the game. By comparison everyone already knew Julio was a monster. ATL in both those years also only went 7-9. To be honest in 2018 you could've given an All pro designation to any number of guys and not necessarily been wrong. Antonio Brown's numbers in 2018 were also right there with Nuk, Julio and Micheal Thomas. but b/c the Steelers were just a slightly better than mediocore team.......& the fact that he was emerging as a knucklehead in Pitt he wasn't considered either.

I say all that to say that i would take all but 1 of the 4 guys i listed above over Nuk..and if we're talking about who of the 4 deserves 100 mil? probably would only be Julio b/c he's the better specimen and Thomas b/c he's younger. The rest, i'll pass. but like the pro bowl, the All-Pro designation is basically just a popularity contest for player and team. The only real difference is that there are less slots available than there is for the pro bowl.

Last edited:
The reason he is not worth paying 100 mil to is because the coaching won't let him reach his potential, not because he isn't good enough. He is definitely worth 100 mil in a better system.

I hate BO'b, but... what? He's a 3 time all pro with BO'b (who I hate). How much higher is his ceiling?

I hate BO'b, but... what? He's a 3 time all pro with BO'b (who I hate). How much higher is his ceiling?
On a team, who was a Super Bowl contender, and had a Super Bowl QB, they’d be paying him the money to keep him. We know we aren’t good enough to justify paying him the money because he won’t win us a Super Bowl on his own.

Clowney and Tunsil were both in the same position and neither had any real say in where they would've been traded....other than they could try to sit out the season. I don't think Clowney ever even met with the Dolphins. Tunsil didn't mind coming to Houston since he knew he had them over the barrel. If Clowney had been told, hey pack your bags you're going to Miami, I think he shows up with the same attitude as Tunsil.

He said he didn't want to play for Miami, he only wanted to play for a contender and wouldn't sign his tender if he was traded to Miami. These articles are out there somewhere.

In true karma fashion that decision is going to cost Clowney alot of $$$$. Clowney cost the Texans atleast a 2021 2nd, but in $$$$ terms Clowney was the big loser in that deal. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

If we had made it further in the playoffs this year and not had a meltdown, I’m pretty sure Hopkins would still be here.
Hopkins just signed an extension to his contract before the 2017 season. 2017 was his 5th year rookie option.

2018 was the first year of his extension & he was already asking for another raise.

2019 was the second year of his extension & he's threatening a hold out.

It really has nothing to do with how much they want to pay Hopkins. He just got paid, a contract that made him the 2nd highest paid receiver at the time. A contract that guaranteed more money than ever before.

I personally would have had a hard time finding the "want to" to pay him. We're not going to cut him a new deal every time the bar is raised. Just not going to do it.

I wish him luck in Cleveland... I mean Arizona, I still love him, just can't do it.

Hopkins just signed an extension to his contract before the 2017 season. 2017 was his 5th year rookie option.

2018 was the first year of his extension & he was already asking for another raise.

It really has nothing to do with how much they want to pay Hopkins. He just got paid, a contract that made him the 2nd highest paid receiver at the time. A contract that guaranteed more money than ever before.

I personally would have had a hard time finding the "want to" to pay him. We're not going to cut him a new deal every time the bar is raised. Just not going to do it.

I wish him luck in Cleveland... I mean Arizona, I still love him, just can't do it.

This is a good, reasonable post and opinion. However, I still feel there were other options besides extending his contract or trading him for David Johnson.

I do not like that trade. I wasn't looking to trade Hopkins for anything before it happened. I just think it's obvious money wasn't the issue.
agreed.
seems to me that O'Brien and Hopkins didn't get along.
The only way for Hop to leave Houston was to ask for another "raise". I'm sure he knew that wouldn't go over well with our coach/GM.

...of course this is speculation.
I may have missed it but I've yet to see a link quoting Hopkins actually asking for a new contract.

Irrelevant to my initial point.

What was your point? You brought up Zeke/Cooper into the discuss

Dont blame McNair/BOB for getting rid of him at all if this was the case.

He said he didn't want to play for Miami, he only wanted to play for a contender and wouldn't sign his tender if he was traded to Miami. These articles are out there somewhere.

In true karma fashion that decision is going to cost Clowney alot of $$$$. Clowney cost the Texans atleast a 2021 2nd, but in $$$$ terms Clowney was the big loser in that deal. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Until Tunsil's name is on the dotted line of a new contract.....their 2019 moves could be extremely costly to both Clowney and OB.

I think it was more than the money. This was a personal decision that was hasty AF.

.....OB is trying to bury him on a crappy team that he feels would prevent Hopkins from having an I told you season. I'm not buying OB's line of shite either in regards to Hopkins being on the market since last season. If that were truly real......there's no chance a rumor doesn't sprout up from somewhere. Trade rumors were all quite until the deal with the Cardinals was announced. OB is a fool if he thinks Texans fans are going to buy his BS>

Back