Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins traded to Cardinals?

I'm going to miss Hopkins' production but looking back at past seasons SB winners and their leading receivers I found this:

2019 Chiefs - Travis Kelce 136 receptions on the year
2018 Patriots - Julian Edelman 74
2017 Eagles - Zach Ertz 74
2016 Patriots - Edelman 98
2015 Broncos - Damyrius Thomas 105
2014 Patriots - Edelman 92
2013 Seahawks - Golden Tate 64
2012 Baltimore Ravens - Anquan Boldin 65
2011 New York Giants - Victor Cruz 82
2010 Green Bay Packers - Greg Jennings 76

As much as I'm going to miss the 100+ receptions every year, the amazing catches, losing Hopkins isn't the death nail to the Super Bowl hope for the Texans. All of the receivers above were good those years but it wasn't for them that got the team where it wanted to go; it was spreading the ball around and playing good defense.

I'm getting over the Hopkins thing. I still believe the Texans could have received more for him, it wasn't a balanced trade. But it's over and I'm on to looking for silver linings.

I'm going to miss Hopkins' production but looking back at past seasons SB winners and their leading receivers I found this:

As much as I'm going to miss the 100+ receptions every year, the amazing catches, losing Hopkins isn't the death nail to the Super Bowl hope for the Texans. All of the receivers above were good those years but it wasn't for them that got the team where it wanted to go; it was spreading the ball around and playing good defense.

I'm getting over the Hopkins thing. I still believe the Texans could have received more for him, it wasn't a balanced trade. But it's over and I'm on to looking for silver linings.
This is just wrong from the get-go. I did not examine all of your stats, but Travis Kelce did NOT have 136 receptions last year. He could have had 136 TARGETS, but not 136 receptions as you posted.

This is just wrong from the get-go. I did not examine all of your stats, but Travis Kelce did NOT have 136 receptions last year. He could have had 136 TARGETS, but not 136 receptions as you posted.
Kelce had 97 regular season receptions and 19 post season receptions according to the NFL site

Either way, my point was that he did not have 136 receptions in 2019 as the poster stated.
Wasn't disputing you, actual backed you up by looking it up so people can clarify or know the facts. I thought wow when I saw that high of number for a TE as well. I think this is a good topic to delve into though as we are now discussing the whole is "spreading" it around bad now that Nuk is gone so wanted to just clarify

Unless you're looking for more speed at WR.

One things for sure, the WR corps is going to look more like the Chiefs WR corps than anything the Texans have ever had.

This is BOB's vision of what he wants his WR/team to look like. You can disagree with his vision if you like, but it's not going to change anything. You should be hoping for the best.
I was a DHop fan, but I really like our offense more with Fuller and Cooks at the X and Z and Cobb/Stills in the slot. Stills can also move outside. It'll all be in the hands of Watson. IMO, his future with the Texans should be on the line this season

Fuller and Cooks are redundant in both play style and injury concern. Cobb and Stills are redundant. Cover six and the “rule of 3” will cancel out a deep passing attack and you have nobody that can “go up and get it” - all guys needing space and perfect passes to be effective.

Fuller and Cooks are redundant in both play style and injury concern. Cobb and Stills are redundant. Cover six and the “rule of 3” will cancel out a deep passing attack and you have nobody that can “go up and get it” - all guys needing space and perfect passes to be effective.

It’s going to be a challenge for darn show.

Numbers I disagree with your statement about Watson job on the line.

It’s going to be a challenge for darn show.

Numbers I disagree with your statement about Watson job on the line.

The Chiefs offense/Ravens offense disagree with his post.

The Chiefs offense is this generation Greatest Show on Turf.

The Texans are trying to replicate this and NO Stills/Cobb aren't redundant WR's. They are very different WR's and this says alot about the poster who thinks this is true.

The Chiefs offense/Ravens offense disagree with his post.

The Chiefs offense is this generation Greatest Show on Turf.

The Texans are trying to replicate this and NO Stills/Cobb aren't redundant WR's. They are very different WR's and this says alot about the poster who thinks this is true.

I like Cobb, we paid too much.

I like Cooks, Hopkins is better. If he stays we paid too much, if he goes we paid too much (2nd).

I like David Johnson, we paid too much.

This mismanagement is going to come due and we will be in a hole, losing Hopkins made WR get worse.

We over paid for every incriment and each one is a gamble.

Hopkins is a slam dunk.

If DJ can still play he will be an upgrade but at what cost to the franchise.

I like Cooks, Hopkins is better. If he stays we paid too much, if he goes we paid too much (2nd).

This mismanagement is going to come due and we will be in a hole, losing Hopkins made WR get worse.

Hopkins is a slam dunk.

And will be out from underneath all of this supposed overpayment by next offseason if the Texans org wishes, minus Cobb. But I bet you were more than willing to give Nuk 100 mil with 50/60 mil guaranteed.

And will be out from underneath all of this supposed overpayment by next offseason if the Texans org wishes, minus Cobb. But I bet you were more than willing to give Nuk 100 mil with 50/60 mil guaranteed.

Give me the faster guys that if they get hurt it will be easy to get out from under their contracts, rather than a 28 yr old Nuk at that cost.

Hopkins is a slam dunk.

Good post. This is the classic team building exercise. The short term roster management of a HC versus the long term, contract management, roster building of a GM.

There is not any depth, cheap backups or draft picks waiting on the roster to replace aging or too expensive veterans. We are in full Chip Kelly mode. Time will tell.

Out from underneath?

If we get rid of Johnson then it cost us one of the best wide receivers in the game for a rental.

If we get rid of Cooks it costs us a 2nd round pick for his 1 year rental.

This is mismanagement.

And Nuk is worth the money he wanted.

Out from underneath?

If we get rid of Johnson then it cost us one of the best wide receivers in the game for a rental.

If we get rid of Cooks it costs us a 2nd round pick for his 1 year rental.

This is mismanagement.

And Nuk is worth the money he wanted.

You missed the point.

They have flexibility that they wouldn't have after this yr that they wouldn't have if they signed Nuk long term. Where we disagree is whether Nuk is worth 5 yrs 100 mil with 50/60 guaranteed at 28 yrs old.

I'm hopeful that Cooks stays after this yr at 12 mil per but since there's no guaranteed $$$$ left on his contract this yr they could always renegotiate a new deal for cheaper but more guaranteed $$$$.

Johnson is on a 1 yr 10 mil prove it deal. Since they have the cap space I dont see this as having a problem. Geez you would think BOB's spending your $$$$ and not Cal's.

Good post. This is the classic team building exercise. The short term roster management of a HC versus the long term, contract management, roster building of a GM.

There is not any depth, cheap backups or draft picks waiting on the roster to replace aging or too expensive veterans. We are in full Chip Kelly mode. Time will tell.

Yes it is, but not for the reasons you think.

These trades have given the team cap flexibility after next yr that they wouldn't have if they had re-signed Nuk. You're right this is what Chip Kelly did and that cap space was what allowed the Eagles the room to make moves to add talent to win a SB.

Of course Kelly got fired for losing after he cleaned up the mess but he left a much better situation for Roseman/Pederson. I suspect this will end up being BOB's fate in 2-3 yrs. That should make you happy.

You understand that it's not going to be a good situation in 2021 if everyone bails....that can. OB doesn't have a pick until RD3 and he could be looking at the same holes to fix as the one's he thought he was fixing this season. OB's moves make me think of guy who was given this season to turn it around b/c if this season were to go flat and the Texans jettison Johnson and Cooks, that's not good. He's in an even bigger hole if Tunsil doesn't sign this season b/c OB doesn't want to designate 21M per season to keep him. Watson and Cunningham come up in 2021. If they have big seasons, where's the money coming from to retain their services? If Watson doesn't have a big season, then he's out and the Texans will have to hope McCarron signs again.....if he doesn't, who's the QB going to be?

Last edited:
You understand that it's not going to be a good situation in 2021 if everyone bails....who can. OB doesn't have a pick until RD3 and he could be looking at the same holes to fix as the one's he thought he was fixing this season. OB's moves make me think of guy who was given this season to turn it around b/c if this season were to go flat and the Texans jettison Johnson and Cooks, that's not good. He's in an even bigger hole if Tunsil doesn't sign this season b/c OB doesn't want to designate 21M per season to keep him. Watson and Cunningham come up in 2021. If they have big seasons, where's the money coming from to retain their services? If Watson doesn't have a big season, then he's out and the Texans will have to hope McCarron signs again.....if he doesn't, who's the QB going to be?

Exactly I don’t understand why some struggles with things like this. It’s not hating either but stating the other possibilities/ scenarios.

Exactly I don’t understand why some struggles with things like this. It’s not hating either but stating the other possibilities/ scenarios.

.....the other issue I have, OB hasn't built a SB contender for 2020. He's robbing Peter to pay Paul and it doesn't look to be paying off. If Tunsil walks, this is going to be a massive mess. What good is speed if there's no time in the pocket.....I'll take 5 yard slants for 100.

.....the other issue I have, OB hasn't built a SB contender for 2020. He's robbing Peter to pay Paul and it doesn't look to be paying off. If Tunsil walks, this is going to be a massive mess. What good is speed if there's no time in the pocket.....I'll take 5 yard slants for 100.

There’s so much that could go wrong for sure after this season. These decisions are strictly personal with no thoughts for the future. Now the defense will suffer for years. Crazy thing is we are destroying our draft capital so they have to hope these youngster take the next step or bargain FA will come in and hopefully do something they did years ago.

I think I said "should be", that is, my opinion. On this I'm close to Steelb's position on Watson. This is a minority opinion.

I had my ideas for trading Clowney, Watson and even Hopkins before it was popular. First time I brought up the idea of trading Hopkins....man we're folks irked. My moves would've been sooner and with far....far better returns. OB knee-jerked late in the game and each move cost him greatly. He better hope like hail that these moves payoff with another division title. If not, the exodus of talent could be mind numbing.

Yes it is, but not for the reasons you think.

These trades have given the team cap flexibility after next yr that they wouldn't have if they had re-signed Nuk. You're right this is what Chip Kelly did and that cap space was what allowed the Eagles the room to make moves to add talent to win a SB.

Of course Kelly got fired for losing after he cleaned up the mess but he left a much better situation for Roseman/Pederson. I suspect this will end up being BOB's fate in 2-3 yrs. That should make you happy.

My favorite NFL team winning makes me happy. Going more than one and done in the playoffs makes me happy. Not blowing 24-0 leads makes me happy. The Chip Kelly experiment was a total disaster and is one of the reasons I don't believe in the HC/GM model. Like I said. Time will tell.

I understand it’s your opinion but my question is why?
He has three years experience, going into his 4th season. The Texans have finally put in place a good OL and have given Watson the skill players to execute a high octane offense.

He has this year and next year left on his contract and this season should determine if the organization wants to sign him to a new contract next off season. If not, our 2022 first round draft should be anticipated to be a QB.

If his 2020 season doesn't meet expectations, would the organization consider trading him? Good question that I'm not ready to entertain.

He has three years experience, going into his 4th season. The Texans have finally put in place a good OL and have given Watson the skill players to execute a high octane offense.

He has this year and next year left on his contract and this season should determine if the organization wants to sign him to a new contract next off season. If not, our 2022 first round draft should be anticipated to be a QB.

If his 2020 season doesn't meet expectations, would the organization consider trading him? Good question that I'm not ready to entertain.

The offensive line is ranked 27th in pass pro. How in the world is that considered good in your book? And before you bring up the injuries, the Chiefs line was banged up too, the big difference was they were able to stay the course and ended up with a top 4 offensive line ( pass pro)

So again imo it’s not just on Watson. It’s on Bill O’Brien, Delvin, Kelly and that entire offensive unit. The offensive philosophy needs to be consistent. That way that unit can actually build great chemistry.

The offensive line is ranked 27th in pass pro. How in the world is that considered good in your book? And before you bring up the injuries, the Chiefs line was banged up too, the big difference was they were able to stay the course and ended up with a top 4 offensive line ( pass pro)

So again imo it’s not just on Watson. It’s on Bill O’Brien, Delvin, Kelly and that entire offensive unit. The offensive philosophy needs to be consistent. That way that unit can actually build great chemistry.

Well, the Texans were playing with either 2 rookies on the OL and worse Clark at RT. Plus Duke/Hyde weren't good at pass pro. Tunsil had a really good yr in pass pro, Scharping improved as the yr progressed, Marin was good in pass pro. Fulton had an off yr and Howard was good and improving before he got hurt. The problem was 2 fold. 1. Devlin sucks 2. There's no depth on the OL.

I want to add that DW4 holding onto the ball to long didn't help the situation. You can blame the long developing routes if you want too, but with the addition of Cooks speed to the WR Corps this shouldn't be as big of an issue next season. The faster the player/the faster the routes, so DW4 should have somebody open to throw the ball to next yr. It's really going to be up to DW4 to find the open guys if the WR corps stays healthy. This is a very dangerous WR Corps if healthy.

You understand that it's not going to be a good situation in 2021 if everyone bails....that can. OB doesn't have a pick until RD3 and he could be looking at the same holes to fix as the one's he thought he was fixing this season. OB's moves make me think of guy who was given this season to turn it around b/c if this season were to go flat and the Texans jettison Johnson and Cooks, that's not good. He's in an even bigger hole if Tunsil doesn't sign this season b/c OB doesn't want to designate 21M per season to keep him. Watson and Cunningham come up in 2021. If they have big seasons, where's the money coming from to retain their services? If Watson doesn't have a big season, then he's out and the Texans will have to hope McCarron signs again.....if he doesn't, who's the QB going to be?

Dont worry Tunsil will be back.

Cooks will still be under contract

DJ will be gone if he performs like most on here think he will and that's to mil towards Cunningham plus if you let one of Stills/WFV go you have more than enough to sign Cunningham and you draft another WR or sign a cheap vet WR to be your 4th WR. Finding a RB shouldn't be the hard to do look at Hyde as an example.

With the total disregard for draft picks or value. It seems like it's all in for the next season without thinking of the future and if he gets fired, it will be someone else's responsibility to rebuild the roster.

Either way, my point was that he did not have 136 receptions in 2019 as the poster stated.
So I made a mistake, I posted the targets by mistake. Can you possibly ever forgive me? In all seriousness though, I’m not going to actually ask anyone to forgive me for looking at a situation, I have no control over anyway, in a more favorable light. It beats banging my head against the wall.

Last edited:
So I made a mistake, I posted the targets by mistake. Can you possibly ever forgive me? In all seriousness though, I’m not going to actually ask anyone to forgive me for looking at a situation, I have no control over anyway, in a more favorable light. It beats banging my head against the wall.
You messed up so I corrected you. End of story.

With the total disregard for draft picks or value. It seems like it's all in for the next season without thinking of the future and if he gets fired, it will be someone else's responsibility to rebuild the roster.

Yep, with this and saving cap money after BOB'S gone in a couple of years. The franchise will be setup perfectly for a new regime. (This includes firing everybody) to come in and finally start anew like they should've done in 2010.

If you actually think Cal's going to do this then I've gotta LMAO. Let's hope either 1. Cal sells the team 2. BOB suceeds because if 1 doesn't happen, you're not going to like opinion number 2 much better. #Cletus

Why do I get the feeling that the same guys defending the trades to assemble this great cast of offensive weapons are going to be the same ones defending BOB when these weapons are misused?

Actaully I'm looking forward to seeing what Kelly/DW4 look like with these new weapons.

Tell me, how likely do you think it is that everyone bails?

Particularly because Tunsil/Cooks are under contract/Franchised for the next 2 yrs or in Cooks case even longer. DJ is even under contract for 2 yrs even though his guaranteed big $$$$ comes off of the books after this season.

Isn't that what some posters were saying after the Tunsil trade? If I can remember the world was coming to an end then too.

So BOB's already off the hook and Kelly's the fall guy? I'm not buying it. It's on BOB if these moves don't work out.

How did you take that post as letting anybody off of the hook?

I do believe Kelly will be allowed to run the offense he wants to run and they've added players to help him have success. But if this doesn't work out and being injury free is the key to this working out then everybody is going to get fired. That's what everybody wants anyway.

the hardest part is GETTING TO THE SUPER BOWL - LOL.

Its not going to be EASIER without Hopkins. Leading in receptions does not equate to #1 options. Would you say that defending Edelman took precedence in the defensive meetings of whoever they played over Gronk??

We could probably go year by year and breakdown those teams nuances and reach a fairly certain conclusion, and in glancing at your list I can already see several (offensive systems, HOF QBs, Run 1st offense/Defense Led, teams that got hot at the perfect time.) and then the particularities of each Super Bowl game itself.

Its a fairly large disservice to sweep what Nuk Hopkins brought under the rug like this, and that everyone has to "get over it" which they have and will, but to create storylines and fake news in order to shine a negative light on Hopkins and diminish what he did and what we can expect from this offense moving forward is just an exercise in social thinking and not being completely honest with what is unfolding.

Its okay to hope for the best, but lets not love the logo so much that we are willing to **** on guys who have been the face of the team for years just to coalesce with the "flat and aligned' coaching direction.

How did you take that post as letting anybody off of the hook?
I said folks would come to BOB's defense if the offense does poorly and you responded that you're looking forward to seeing how Kelly/Watson do - felt like you are already shifting the blame. Glad to hear that you're not letting him off the hook. BOB's been out of excuses for a little while now.

I said folks would come to BOB's defense if the offense does poorly and you responded that you're looking forward to seeing how Kelly/Watson do - felt like you are already shifting the blame. Glad to hear that you're not letting him off the hook. BOB's been out of excuses for a little while now.

51-7

Dont worry Tunsil will be back.

Cooks will still be under contract

DJ will be gone if he performs like most on here think he will and that's to mil towards Cunningham plus if you let one of Stills/WFV go you have more than enough to sign Cunningham and you draft another WR or sign a cheap vet WR to be your 4th WR. Finding a RB shouldn't be the hard to do look at Hyde as an example.

Tunsil hasn't signed anything, nor has their been much info that a deal is getting hammered out. If Tunsil wants 21M and wont settle for anything less, OB may blow an o-ring since that probably goes against his plans. Personally, I don't see Tunsil budging from 21M per season and demanding a fat up front signing bonus with a healthy amount guaranteed.

Hopkins has been nothing less than the consummate professional while wearing the Texans uniform. He's been one of the most durable top producing NFL WR's in the game. To have anyone say less than that (Bill O'Brien) is someone just trying to cover their tracks from a horrible trade.

the hardest part is GETTING TO THE SUPER BOWL - LOL.

Its not going to be EASIER without Hopkins. Leading in receptions does not equate to #1 options. Would you say that defending Edelman took precedence in the defensive meetings of whoever they played over Gronk??

We could probably go year by year and breakdown those teams nuances and reach a fairly certain conclusion, and in glancing at your list I can already see several (offensive systems, HOF QBs, Run 1st offense/Defense Led, teams that got hot at the perfect time.) and then the particularities of each Super Bowl game itself.

Its a fairly large disservice to sweep what Nuk Hopkins brought under the rug like this, and that everyone has to "get over it" which they have and will, but to create storylines and fake news in order to shine a negative light on Hopkins and diminish what he did and what we can expect from this offense moving forward is just an exercise in social thinking and not being completely honest with what is unfolding.

Its okay to hope for the best, but lets not love the logo so much that we are willing to **** on guys who have been the face of the team for years just to coalesce with the "flat and aligned' coaching direction.
I’m not telling anyone what to do and I’m damn sure not shitting on Hopkins. And I hate O’Brien as a coach and even more so as a GM. I’m just not going to spend a fraction of amount of time now as I was before in beating this dead horse. Hopkins is gone and there’s nothing I can do about it.

Tunsil hasn't signed anything, nor has their been much info that a deal is getting hammered out. If Tunsil wants 21M and wont settle for anything less, OB may blow an o-ring since that probably goes against his plans. Personally, I don't see Tunsil budging from 21M per season and demanding a fat up front signing bonus with a healthy amount guaranteed.

Last I heard was progress was being made and somewhere around 20 mil was the point a deal would get done.

You're worrying over nothing. Even if a deal doesn't get done ( unlikely) Tunsil will be here for at least 2 more yrs.

Or are you just hoping Tunsil doesn't re-sign and BPB trades him so the deal will be a failure.

Last I heard was progress was being made and somewhere around 20 mil was the point a deal would get done.

You're worrying over nothing. Even if a deal doesn't get done ( unlikely) Tunsil will be here for at least 2 more yrs.

Or are you just hoping Tunsil doesn't re-sign and BPB trades him so the deal will be a failure.

Actually, I want Tunsil signed b/c Watson needs him at LT. I suspect Tunsil will get his false starts in order with a full off-season with Watson and the Texans. I think the deal will be closer to the 21M per season mark but if he elevates his game another notch or two it will pay dividends for the left side of the line. My problem is always going to be OB's, day late, dollar short approach to his GM duties. If OB had negotiated up front, I think he gets his man for 18M per season and trades Clowney straight-up for Tunsil but that's just me. He could keep his 2 RD1 picks and his RD2 pick. We lost Clowney at below market value and obtained Tunsil for much higher than his market value....all the while Miami had a keen interest in Clowney.

Back