Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins traded to Cardinals?

Well if you’re a fan get over this **** and move on...ruining and otherwise pleasant board to be on with the same **** we‘ve basically been talking about for a whole year.
Sorry for ruining your 'pleasant board' experience. News flash, we just traded the best receiver in the game for peanuts. Whatever **** has been talked about for a whole year just got taken to a new level of ****. Folks are going to talk about it and vent about it. Get over it.

Watt went public about his feelings on the new CBA which of course he was critical of so therefor I'm being hopeful he will
comment about what's going on in the front office here in town if he's got issues, and as his life with his new wife and her career being relocated to another city is going thru lots of changes maybe he'd like a fresh start himself elsewhere ?
Maybe he wants to join both of his brothers who are now in Pittsburgh?

Maybe I missed it in the previous 13 pages but is anyone happy we made this trade? Does anyone actually know someone happy about this?

“ONLY” lol

It would have required an annual raise of 6Ms per year to get Nuk up to the pack.

That’s IF he would have requested more money ... which he never did.

This was 100% Bill OBrien the tyrant hurting his team to console his ego.

You know he didn't request this how?

Did he request a new contract from the Cards but not the Texans? You sure do know alot. It must be very special being you.

Honestly, I’m used to overacting to some news of the Texans or after a tough loss. When that happens, within 24 hours I’ve processed it and have started to move on. No matter how much I process the Hopkins trade, I simply cannot rationalize it or move on. I keep trying to think that there’s more to this, there has to be, there must be a master plan. But that’s foolish thinking on my part. O’Brien just is a middle aged man with a dominant ID personality. He has the emotional maturity of a toddler. Remember, he would have cut Ryan Mallet for missing the plane to Miami, which would have left the Texans with no backup Quarterback in that game had Rick Smith not talked him out of it.

It must be hell working for him.

"At the end of the day, the Houston Texans have been a laughingstock on social media. If Bill O’Brien actually wins with this group of players, we’ve got to give him Coach of the Year."

I’m so glad Cal is illiterate. Otherwise he might do something drastic & really mess up the stability of the organization.

There is no logical explanation or validation to what Bill O’Brien did to this team.

last time, I’m not trying to validate this deal.

had we traded Hopkins to Buffalo for their 1st, 5th, & 6th round pick we’d be screaming we got robbed. It’s only in light of our trade that the Diggs deal sounds like a “haul.”

we should have got a 1st for Clowney. Two 1sts & some filler for Hopkins, regardless of his “contract situation.”

Maybe I missed it in the previous 13 pages but is anyone happy we made this trade? Does anyone actually know someone happy about this?

HAPPYGM.jpg

Well if you’re a fan get over this **** and move on...ruining and otherwise pleasant board to be on with the same **** we‘ve basically been talking about for a whole year.
Haven’t seen such belly aching and bitching since the VY draft saga back in 2006.

The VY fanboys are a great analogy.

They're called WOF's now.

Texans screwed the pooch by sticking with bill after another throttling in the playoffs.. hard to have confidence in a "leader" leading you when he can't hang with the big boys when its money time

Texans slit that poor pooches throat, set it on fire, and drop kicked it off a bridge...

had we traded Hopkins to Buffalo for their 1st, 5th, & 6th round pick we’d be screaming we got robbed. It’s only in light of our trade that the Diggs deal sounds like a “haul.”
Not sure about that .

However i think we would be screaming why?. Esp with Hopkins has 3 years left and still in his prime

last time, I’m not trying to validate this deal.

we should have got a 1st for Clowney. Two 1sts & some filler for Hopkins, regardless of his “contract situation.”

Somebody went through all the guys who got 1sts in return recently, Amari Cooper, Brandon Cooks TWICE are a couple I remember of the top of my head. Now add Diggs to the list. DeForest Buckner just got traded for a 1st. Hell a TE just got traded for a 2nd and a 5th, and we got what for Hopkins? A 2nd, a 4th NEXT year, and a $13M broken down RB who's started fewer games than Watt and Fuller the last 3 seasons, and who got benched last year.

It's not just the Diggs deal that makes the trade stupid. They were robbed before anyone even knew about the Diggs trade.

What you are right about though, is that we likely would have been screaming still had we made the Buffalo deal. But that's because why in the effing world would you trade away one of the best players in the game, if you're trying to ******* win now????? But if some dumbass is going to do that, GET SOMETHING BACK FOR AN ELITE TALENT!!!!!!!!

What I don't get is the mixed signals. We pay big to get an elite LT to protect our franchise QB then trade away one of the weapons that helped our franchise QB BE a franchise QB.

What is the actual goal for this team? Are we in win now mode or rebuild mode?

Here's the text of Diana Russini from ESPN's NFL Live, speaking with Suzy Kolber and Ian Rappaport about the Hopkins debacle:

"I've been texting with a lot of Deandre Hopkins' now former teammates about their reaction to it, and they can't believe it. I actually had one assistant coach say if it wasn't for this coronavirus situation, I swear the fans here in Houston would be showing up to this facility to knock on the doors, to talk to head coach Bill O'Brien and find out what is going on."

"I've covered the Houston Texans for many games this past season, I had the opportunity to work the sideline for ESPN radio... And oftentimes, late in games, specifically in the 3rd or 4th quarter, is when you started to see the frustration between Deandre Hopkins and their play caller, Bill O'Brien. And we've all covered enough football to know the difference between a wide receiver being frustrated with their head coach in just the normal way that players and coaches kind of get into it, and then this was just different... But it was very, very clear that there was a problem between head coach Bill O'Brien and Deandre Hopkins, and it seemed that this relationship at this point probably needed to move on and they needed a change, both Bill O'Brien and Deandre Hopkins."

Source:

This proves it wasn't about the contract. It was O'Brien's inadequate play calling and the resulting personality conflict. This inflexible mediocrity is why Houston just lost one of the greatest athletes in the history of the city.

Mediocrity won. Houston lost.

But Mike Devlin is still a member of O'Brien's staff, so at least we didn't let that generational talent slip through our fingers.

What's going to be interesting is watching O'Brien navigate this unexpected player-favoritism grudge with the fans that he predicted about as well as the Chiefs' punt defense. If the fans got to vote which man to ship out of town, which one do you think it would've been?

"Do your job!" O'Brien's role model always says. After six years of watching Hopkins and O'Brien, we know which one did his. He's the one no longer in Houston.

Two silver linings here:

1) I always said the talent of our elite players keeps bailing out O'Brien. Well now we have less talent to bail him out.

2) Hopkins was the sacrifice to the football gods that has ended all sympathy for Bill O'Brien. His sacrifice will finally free us.

Last edited:
Who would that be? Certainly not me.

However since I cant do anything about the Texans org. (They've been mismanaged since their inception) I'm hoping everything works out for the best. I'm a fan of the team winning and not individual players.
If this were true, you'd be demanding OBs head on a pike. He is the single most obstruction to the Texans being a winning team. He's a mediocre football coach, benefitting from playing in a weak division.
Quit defending this loser and go back to bashing the McNair's.

This trade shows why coaches shouldn't have total control. BOB makes emotional decisions without thinking of the long term harm it does to the team.
This trade shows why Bill O'Brien shouldn't be given total control. Others have made it work just fine because they weren't little teapots always ready to blow up.

If this were true, you'd be demanding OBs head on a pike. He is the single most obstruction to the Texans being a winning team. He's a mediocre football coach, benefitting from playing in a weak division.
Quit defending this loser and go back to bashing the McNair's.

1. He's not the most single thing that keeps them from being a winning team. The McNairs are
2. They're a winning team but don't have the talent to beat the upper echelon teams, due to the goody2 shoes policy the McNairs have in place. I mean look at K.C. as an example of what I'm talking about. There will be no championship's until this policy changes.
3. I've called for BOB to be fired after 51-7 and said he's a a mediocre HC numerous times. Im just not emotional about it.
4. The division isn't weak, the Titans made it to the AFCCG and beat the vaunted Ravens, in addition to hanging with the Chiefs for 3 quarters.

Maybe he put me back on ignore since my last visit, but I am LOVING this defensive quote "Or that I'm defending the trade/BOB?"
Steel's version of defending is aggressively deflecting onto others, and has been his entire tenure. "I know the difference between what Diggs and Hopkins want". Avatar. Money - even though O'b has the checkbook. Couldn't actually get a comeback to the success of Kubiak/Smith.

That fella has a serious mental issue just like Bill Obrien.

LMAO @ the notion that a player coming off his 3rd FIRST TEAM ALL PRO selection was somehow easy to trade because he 'wanted a new contract' .. "thought too much of himself" .. those are baseless and crass observations from a minority position that is stumbling on themselves trying to validate their emperor - you know similar to what North Koreans have to do for their "fearless leader".

Sad beyond measure to have to read these takes from fans .. of course you have the typical OBrien Apologists who have already chimed in with their undying support, but to just blurt out things like these just shows everyone how poorly this team is lead and followed.

Just because a player wants a new deal doesnt mean he gets a new deal, and at the very least someone of Nuk's tenure and status would deserve much better treatment .. if he sat out, then he sat out, but to throw him away in a temper tantrum is despicable. To try and make sense of the situation by painting OBrien in a positive light and Hopkins as a disgruntled employee is even further askew since all that rhetoric is behind closed doors. What we DO KNOW is that Hopkins was on social media pumping up other people as LEADERS and laughing at the trade.

This is a time when people are laughing at us, not with us. No need to compound matters by trying to make sense of it.

Hopkins was in no way/shape/form on a decline. He will have his best professional years to date with Arizona.

Your reading comprehension is lacking because he would say he doesn't support, back up or defend Obrien. Lol

Here's the text of Diana Russini from ESPN's NFL Live, speaking with Suzy Kolber and Ian Rappaport about the Hopkins debacle:

"I've been texting with a lot of Deandre Hopkins' now former teammates about their reaction to it, and they can't believe it. I actually had one assistant coach say if it wasn't for this coronavirus situation, I swear the fans here in Houston would be showing up to this facility to knock on the doors, to talk to head coach Bill O'Brien and find out what is going on."

"I've covered the Houston Texans for many games this past season, I had the opportunity to work the sideline for ESPN radio... And oftentimes, late in games, specifically in the 3rd or 4th quarter, is when you started to see the frustration between Deandre Hopkins and their play caller, Bill O'Brien. And we've all covered enough football to know the difference between a wide receiver being frustrated with their head coach in just the normal way that players and coaches kind of get into it, and then this was just different... But it was very, very clear that there was a problem between head coach Bill O'Brien and Deandre Hopkins, and it seemed that this relationship at this point probably needed to move on and they needed a change, both Bill O'Brien and Deandre Hopkins."

Source:

This proves it wasn't about the contract. It was O'Brien's inadequate play calling and the resulting personality conflict. This inflexible mediocrity is why Houston just lost one of the greatest athletes in the history of the city.

Mediocrity won. Houston lost.

But Mike Devlin is still a member of O'Brien's staff, so at least we didn't let that generational talent slip through our fingers.

What's going to be interesting is watching O'Brien navigate this unexpected player-favoritism grudge with the fans that he predicted about as well as the Chiefs' punt defense. If the fans got to vote which man to ship out of town, which one do you think it would've been?

"Do your job!" O'Brien's role model always says. After six years of watching Hopkins and O'Brien, we know which one did his. He's the one no longer in Houston.

Two silver linings here:

1) I always said the talent of our elite players keeps bailing out O'Brien. Well now we have less talent to bail him out.

2) Hopkins was the sacrifice to the football gods that has ended all sympathy for Bill O'Brien. His sacrifice will finally free us.
I had mentioned there was more to the story and had heard a few rumblings of deeper discontent, but not details. This begins to fill in the blanks. It was obviously time for Hop to go.

This trade shows why Bill O'Brien shouldn't be given total control. Others have made it work just fine because they weren't little teapots always ready to blow up.

In most cases, giving a HC total control fails more times than it's successful. Also, most coaches with total control accomplished something. Whether it's sustained playoff success, Super Bowl appearance(s) or something besides one and done playoff seasons.

If you look at any objective criteria, measurements, qualifications or achievements that should be a prerequisite for giving a HC total control of an NFL franchise, O'Brien would not meet them. Then you add his demeanor and people skills and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Again, even if it was, you don’t give him away.
I am not connected to the Texans and unless you are, you have no say in how they conduct business. What transpired is subjective. The team lost a great receiver in exchange for the 40 pick. If OB chooses, we can pick up a pretty good receiver with that selection and move on. And if Watson is the QB he is supposed to be, the Texans will compete in our division. Look forward, not back.

I don't know why, but this point keeps getting overlooked.
Is it? We don't know all that transpired, but we got a RB that OB seems to have wanted. We also got a #40 pick in the draft. If, and it's a big if, we were to use that pick to take a quality receiver, say Mims, then we may have a bit of drop off at the receiver position, but overall, the prospects going forward are not that dire. Watson's play is the key. Hop? He was a fan favorite but the sucess of a team seldom revolves around one player (excepting QB).

@AaronWilson_NFL: On former Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins' contractual outlook, desire for new deal, multiple league sources said Cardinals All-Pro wide receiver wants to make $3M to $4M more in annual compensation over current $16.2M APY. He's due base salaries of $12.5M, $13.5M, $13.915M

ROFL. What a dumbass is O'Brien.

@AaronWilson_NFL: On former Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins' contractual outlook, desire for new deal, multiple league sources said Cardinals All-Pro wide receiver wants to make $3M to $4M more in annual compensation over current $16.2M APY. He's due base salaries of $12.5M, $13.5M, $13.915M

ROFL. What a dumbass is O'Brien.
:gun:

1. He's not the most single thing that keeps them from being a winning team. The McNairs are
2. They're a winning team but don't have the talent to beat the upper echelon teams, due to the goody2 shoes policy the McNairs have in place. I mean look at K.C. as an example of what I'm talking about. There will be no championship's until this policy changes.
3. I've called for BOB to be fired after 51-7 and said he's a a mediocre HC numerous times. Im just not emotional about it.
4. The division isn't weak, the Titans made it to the AFCCG and beat the vaunted Ravens, in addition to hanging with the Chiefs for 3 quarters.
The Texans have pretty much moved on from the goody 2 shoes. Laremy Tunsil and Honey Badger.
I'll give you #1. The McNair's keep promoting this imbecile instead of firing him.
The Titans were a complete surprise last season. No one saw that coming.
As for #3, why do you keep defending him if you see him as mediocre? It's OK to bash OB and the McNair's. You know this from years of bashing RS and the McNair's.

In most cases, giving a HC total control fails more times than it's successful. Also, most coaches with total control accomplished something. Whether it's sustained playoff success, Super Bowl appearance(s) or something besides one and done playoff seasons.

If you look at any objective criteria, measurements, qualifications or achievements that should be a prerequisite for giving a HC total control of an NFL franchise, O'Brien would not meet them. Then you add his demeanor and people skills and it's a disaster waiting to happen.
100% agree with you. Few have been able to pull it off successfully. Oddly enough, the GOAT HC of all time (my opinion) didn't have any great accomplishments to his name, as a HC, when he was given full authority by Robert Kraft.

Is it just a coincidence that the year O’Brien hands over play calling duties to someone else he also trades away the teams far and away best weapon on offense?

1. Overall, I agree. It was the McNair's that gave O'Brien this much power.
2. Meh, they beat upper echelon teams with the ball boy playing secondary last year, it just didn't hold up throughout the playoffs. The "upstanding citizen" requirement died with Bob McNair.
3. You're emotional about our QB, not the HC. Then again, you've decided that it was the QB holding us back, so that's not much of a surprise.
4. The Division as a whole was weak, but the Titans came on late with Tannehill to make it a respectable 5th place overall. (and a .500 record)

I am not connected to the Texans and unless you are, you have no say in how they conduct business. What transpired is subjective. The team lost a great receiver in exchange for the 40 pick. If OB chooses, we can pick up a pretty good receiver with that selection and move on. And if Watson is the QB he is supposed to be, the Texans will compete in our division. Look forward, not back.

And we wonder how OB gets the power he does.

Let’s give away a guy who’s in the prime of what will likely be a HOF career, replace him with a rookie with the 40th, and march forward. Never mind needing that pick for a multitude of other needs on your team that you can’t address with the limited picks you have.

And then you’re going to take away that player in the prime of a HOF career away from Watson, and expect that Watson just needs to overcome if he’s as good as people say? What a crapload of BS that is.

The Texans have pretty much moved on from the goody 2 shoes. Laremy Tunsil and Honey Badger.
I'll give you #1. The McNair's keep promoting this imbecile instead of firing him.
The Titans were a complete surprise last season. No one saw that coming.
As for #3, why do you keep defending him if you see him as mediocre? It's OK to bash OB and the McNair's. You know this from years of bashing RS and the McNair's.

Until they start drafting guys like Tunsil/HB I don't believe things have changed.

The Titans were a QB away from being a very good team. They are very talented.

How have I defended BOB, I said he should've been fired, what more do you want.

And yes, BOB should have held onto Nuk until he got a better return, or made Nuk play out his contract.

Back