Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins traded to Cardinals?

Best deal
but pulls the trigger on the first day..

Trading for people that were going to probably be cut anyway.

However seeing how bill operates. I can see why he is making trades. Because he knows as FA they won't come. He doesnt have the clout that NE has where players will take lower deals for a chance (was a chance) to play with brady and a superbowl

Now that I think about it, O’Brien has one other thing going for him - he’s a coach and GM in the AFC South, where dumbass moves have become business as usual. But really, the dumb contract that the Titans gave Ryan Tannehill absolutely pales in comparison to the Hopkins trade. He’s #1 in bad decisions in a division ripe with them.

The entire roster needs to band together and march straight into Cal’s office and say it’s either O’Brien or them! That clown has got to go!

This just in - Texans players (in their snazzy lettermen's jackets) in Cal's office turning in their jerseys and refusing to play unless OB is fired!

1584459078893.png

(silently to myself - Rudy, Ruuudddyy, Ruuuudddyyy etc. etc.)

Last edited:
Do you think this deal was done because of $$$$? The Cards are saying they're going to redo Nuk's deal and the McNair's weren't willing to do a new deal.
And does that imply that the McNairs also won't open up the checkbook for Watson and Tunsil, so in other words do you expect O'Brien to also ship them out on the best and quickest deals he can get ?

The fact that Lombardi is friends with BOB has nothing to do with whether he shopped Nuk or not. In fact Lombardi would know if Nuk was shopped and reported it. Is Pelesserio (SP?) friends with BOB too?

Is BOB vain? Of course he is. It's what turns fans off.

The fact that 1. You think BOB was the GM when DB was traded 2. BOB had anything to do with that trade (Bob McNair did) tells me you cant be objective.

Look, I dont like this trade either and BOB should be roasted for making the trade. But the facts dont change. You are worth what you're worth in trade and since professional reporters who I trust reported he was shopped it's fair to assume this was the best deal BOB could make. Which is why the deal shouldn' have been made.

Do you think this deal was done because of $$$$? The Cards are saying they're going to redo Nuk's deal and the McNair's weren't willing to do a new deal.
It is hard to be objective when the trade was one of the worst in history. I will never believe that the Texans did their due diligence in any of the above trades. There is nothing wrong with you defending Obrien, everybody has their right to their opinion. "Professional reporters" do not hold any more esteem as bearers of the truth for me than anyone else but that is my opinion. As far as the deal being about money, why did they take on an oft injured older RB that has base salaries of $10,200,000 and $7,950,000 the next 2 years in exchange for Hopkins? Does that money not matter, or if it was a good deal, why?

You Know, I try very hard to look at moves this team makes logically and try to see the reason behind them. I don’t buy into the “it’s his ego” or “they won’t spend money” arguments because neither of those have any real bases. Likewise I understand there is a lot behind the scenes we don’t know or see so I try to factor that in as well.

All this means I have drawn a lot of fire as an OB defender and such but really I don’t care because the argument that is being called “defending OB” is simply the most logical and reasonable argument I can think of given the facts I have. The fact that it seems to defend OB more than not is just how the chips fall.

All that being said I can’t think of one damn logical reason for this trade other than either OB has lost his mind or they wanted to be sure and have a story to top Brady leaving the Pats.

Replacing draft capital: I could buy this if we got even one 1st round pick but we didn’t so they didn’t replace any draft capital.

Deep WR class: Again this only matters if you have the ability to get that player. To get any player that has a realistic chance at being Hopkins level will require we sell what’s left of the farm.

Issues between Hop and OB: This doesn’t even make sense to me because they’ve been together for 6 years and hung tough through the Hoyer and Osweiler years so why would they have problems now when things are actually looking up.

Hopkins wants a bigger contract: I don’t doubt Nuk wants paid more, who doesn’t, but he and his agent knows they signed a good deal for the time and that the price on players was going to go up. He also knew that his next contract would be huge and reset the market and at 26 there was no reason he wouldn’t have a next one. Let’s say though that he wanted a new contract now, they know we have to pay Watson and Tunsil so you're saying a guy that was a team player through the bad years is now not willing to wait even a year to get paid?

Try as I might I cannot come up with a single logical reason for this. I can think of excuses for it but they all require a certain suspension of disbelief that I’m not willing to make.

It is hard to be objective when the trade was one of the worst in history. I will never believe that the Texans did their due diligence in any of the above trades. There is nothing wrong with you defending Obrien, everybody has their right to their opinion. "Professional reporters" do not hold any more esteem as bearers of the truth for me than anyone else but that is my opinion. As far as the deal being about money, why did they take on an oft injured older RB that has base salaries of $10,200,000 and $7,950,000 the next 2 years in exchange for Hopkins? Does that money not matter, or if it was a good deal, why?

Even more than that look at the PETTY contract OBrien gave Cobb .. a thumb at Nuk no doubt .. no way you can justify happily giving Cobb 9Ms per year in the twilight of his career and scoffing at Hopkins 13.5 that should be HIGHER due to 3 consecutive 1st team ALL PRO seasons!!!

This is an obvious personal vendetta judging by what Hopkins has released on social media (calling Sylvester Turner a REAL LEADER LOL) and the contract for Cobb speaking for itself.

There is no doubt that OBrien has an anger management problem and having a man like that in charge of EVERYTHING is destined to implode .. didnt take a billionaire daddy's boy to see the light. Shame on Janice too for allowing her husbands team to get drug through the mud the way it is with this nitwit at the helm.

This was linked right off CNN.com

wow. im pulling quotes so the OBrien Cult can soak it all in.

O'Brien the general manager seems to react personally and with hostility to player demands for more money. That's a counterproductive tendency for a general manager, whose job includes handling player demands for more money.

Of course, O'Brien isn't a full-time general manager. He's also the head coach. Head coaches don't want to hear about money or holdouts; they want to (to borrow a phrase from every coach ever asked about a player holding out during camp) focus on the guys who are here. O'Brien appears to have a hard time switching hats, which would be more excusable if he wore the head-coaching hat well at all.

In 2018, the Texans went 11-5 with Hopkins, Clowney, Watson and J.J. Watt leading an otherwise ordinary roster before O'Brien became team emperor. Last year, they went 10-6 with Hopkins, Watson and Watt leading the charge. This year, they are down to Watson and Watt, with no first-round pick thanks to Tunsil.

What happens if Tunsil begins exercising his leverage as the player O'Brien mortgaged the future for? What happens if the Watson contract situation turns into something Dak Prescott-like? Will O'Brien trade them both in a fit of pique for middle-round picks and spare parts? Could Watt lead the Texans to a 9-8 record and the seventh wild-card slot (see how seamlessly we adjusted to the new CBA rules?) supported by nobody but running backs named D. Johnson?

Even O'Brien cannot be so shortsighted that he would continue dealing away assets for pennies on the dollar. But the Texans are clearly an organization with no plan whatsoever, and O'Brien doesn't appear to realize just how hard it is to replace talent like Hopkins and Clowney. Hopkins was nearly irreplaceable for a playoff team with no other top-tier offensive weapons and no first-round pick with which to grab one. He knew it. We knew it. O'Brien didn't.

There is a silver lining and good news about trading Nuk Hopkins. This will be the straw that shows O'Brien the door and pushes Cal's siblings to force the sell of the Houston Texans. They want their piece of the $4 Billion McNair pie and end their association with the community embarrassment known as the Houston Texans.

"The Texans just traded DeAndre Hopkins for a 2nd round pick"

ETUpFQFWsAAjC9D

The fact that Diggs was dealt for much better compensation suggests otherwise. You know damn well that deal was ****. Doesnt matter now any way. This team remains in purgatory until O'Brien is gone

The difference was in the contracts. Diggs has one he's happy with. Nuk wants a new one.

Agreed

You Know, I try very hard to look at moves this team makes logically and try to see the reason behind them. I don’t buy into the “it’s his ego” or “they won’t spend money” arguments because neither of those have any real bases. Likewise I understand there is a lot behind the scenes we don’t know or see so I try to factor that in as well.

All this means I have drawn a lot of fire as an OB defender and such but really I don’t care because the argument that is being called “defending OB” is simply the most logical and reasonable argument I can think of given the facts I have. The fact that it seems to defend OB more than not is just how the chips fall.

All that being said I can’t think of one damn logical reason for this trade other than either OB has lost his mind or they wanted to be sure and have a story to top Brady leaving the Pats.

Replacing draft capital: I could buy this if we got even one 1st round pick but we didn’t so they didn’t replace any draft capital.

Deep WR class: Again this only matters if you have the ability to get that player. To get any player that has a realistic chance at being Hopkins level will require we sell what’s left of the farm.

Issues between Hop and OB: This doesn’t even make sense to me because they’ve been together for 6 years and hung tough through the Hoyer and Osweiler years so why would they have problems now when things are actually looking up.

Hopkins wants a bigger contract: I don’t doubt Nuk wants paid more, who doesn’t, but he and his agent knows they signed a good deal for the time and that the price on players was going to go up. He also knew that his next contract would be huge and reset the market and at 26 there was no reason he wouldn’t have a next one. Let’s say though that he wanted a new contract now, they know we have to pay Watson and Tunsil so you're saying a guy that was a team player through the bad years is now not willing to wait even a year to get paid?

Try as I might I cannot come up with a single logical reason for this. I can think of excuses for it but they all require a certain suspension of disbelief that I’m not willing to make.
If you would stop assuming that OB is competent at either job he is doing, the answers all become the same: extreme incompetence from the HC, GM and owner.

There is a silver lining and good news about trading Nuk Hopkins. This will be the straw that shows O'Brien the door and pushes Cal's siblings to force the sell of the Houston Texans. They want their piece of the $4 Billion McNair pie and end their association with the community embarrassment known as the Houston Texans.

Hopefully this happens.

Good to see you back.

What QB's do you like in this draft?

He just killed mine. I’m starting to wonder if he just wants to tear the team apart on purpose.

It‘s elementary anyway. I don’t think the NFL will play this season anyway, and I’m also finally, finally done here on the board. And it’s about time.

We've heard this so many times from you. :bigboss:

You aren't going anywhere. You'll be back by pre season "hate watching" the Texans if nothing else.

O'Brien will be gone soon enough.

If this has already been said then I apologize but it's pretty simple here folks. Hop wanted out and probably threatened to sit as he's already loaded and hey, win win if he sits and saves himself a few concussions so, there was no recourse other than to get whatever the team could for him. The rest is academic.

Point is.. if you're looking for someone to blame on the worst trade ever et al including the Clowney trade, and they're both up there, the people you should be blaming are the players. They forced the situation.
I'd take him up on the threat. I love Nuk, but with 3 years left, he has no leverage at all. This trade smacks of O'Brien personality clash and not having a real GM who can take the ego out of the equation.

Do you think I like this trade

Or that I'm defending the trade/BOB?

Boy oh boy. I was coming here to discuss this with everyone, but what else is left to say ??

Well, as a Bengals fan it's nice to know another team's front office has decided to step up to the stupid plate and not only take a swing, but knock one out of the park.
For a moment in time, I get to sit back and marvel at another team doing something so completely idiotic, that words cannot be found.
It's like the movie "Liar Liar" where Jim Carey amusingly asks himself in the elevator, "I've had better" ?? and then chuckles to himself.
"You didn't get a first" ?? All you can do is chuckle because if you spend time thinking about it, as a fan, you might go kicking kittens or something.

Seriously, this has to rate right up there as one of, if not THE, worst trade in the history of the NFL.
Leave David Johnson (who is a problem by himself) out of the conversation. Hopkins is one of the best WR's in the game.
Who is Watson going to throw to ?? Fine, it's a deep WR class. That's subjective however and only helps if you hit on the right one.
What are the odds of your boy O'Brien being that coach/GM that is going to hit on that pick ??

My son was devastated when he heard the news yesterday.
Hunkered down in the basement, hiding from Corona, his yells of "NOOOOOOOOO" echoed eerily through the house.
He said, "Dad.... my jersey, my poster, my signed helmet from Hop" ?? Seeing your kid that sad is horrible.

I told him we can put it next to my helmet signed by Carson Palmer and he got a laugh out of that one...

Sorry my Texas friends. I hated to see this move. It cut deep in our house !!

Maybe he put me back on ignore since my last visit, but I am LOVING this defensive quote "Or that I'm defending the trade/BOB?"
Steel's version of defending is aggressively deflecting onto others, and has been his entire tenure. "I know the difference between what Diggs and Hopkins want". Avatar. Money - even though O'b has the checkbook. Couldn't actually get a comeback to the success of Kubiak/Smith.

And then take a look at what the Vikings just got for Diggs, nowhere near the same caliber receiver as Nuk.

This is what I'm saying.

Again, not defending the trade just adding some perspective. Their first round pick is 18 spots higher than the 40th overall we got.

A 5th & 6th is not a major haul. Had they got a 3rd & 4th then I could say, "Look at the haul they got for Diggs"

I agree, we should have got more for Hop. I don't agree the Vikings haul is substantially more than the compensation we received

I agree, we should have got more for Hop. I don't agree the Vikings haul is substantially more than the compensation we received
Still a considerable haul for a 2nd tier WR. Compared to what the Texans got back for an ELITE WR, I’d say that’s a significant difference. Especially if you’re dealing from assets to stockpile picks, which the Texans need and is the only way you even consider trading an elite player. And 18 spots is a big difference. The Texans had to move what, 13 spots to get Watson? That’s a big deal. It was a complete and total fail all the way around.

And didn’t somebody just trade a 1st for a TE?

Thanks, it was time to completely come out of the closet. :pirate:

Looks like they're going to get Brady.

How do you think they're going to do next yr.

I think after seeing them play at the end of last yr they're contenders. Jamies to Brady is a franchise changer.

What other weaknesses do the Bucs have?

I woke up depressed about this whole ordeal this morning. I'm embarrassed for my team. Embarrassed for the legacy of great players who have graced us with their play here. I was sick when AJ left, I'm just upset and really don't hardly care anymore at this point. It was refreshing to watch the Roughnecks do it the way we yearn for the Texans to be able to do. Oh well...waiting for total collapse now so we can start over...again.

My only guess is Nuk did something to really piss BOB off. We all know once you get on BOB's bad side, he's willing to do something drastic to get rid of you. We saw it with Ryan Mallet. We saw it again with Clowney. And now, with Nuk. Now that he doesn't have a GM to provide as a check-balance, things could get worse.

What we haven't even dug into is how will this effect morale w/in the team. Everyone loved Nuk, especially DW4. This portrays a horrible message to your team.

LMAO

Pick 22 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pick 40

whats so hard to understand about that? why the lame justification that the deals for Diggs/Hopkins were "similar" ???

Sad.

The difference in the picks is the contract situations.

Is that so hard to understand.

Does anyone know if the Texans organization, ownership, General Manager or Head Coach has made a public statement regarding this trade yet? I searched and can't find anything. Normally a player Hops caliber warrants a statement of some sort?

I just need answers....an explanation. A glimmer of hope..a plan and direction...

"Bill O’Brien has the power to pretty much do what he wants in this organization," Peter King told @TikiAndTierney. "That’s not going away any time soon." #Texanshttps://t.co/dmzizgnzxp
— CBS Sports Radio (@CBSSportsRadio) March 17, 2020

In a stunning move, the Houston Texans traded DeAndre Hopkins and a 2020 fourth-round pick to Arizona for David Johnson, a 2020 second-round pick, and a 2021 fourth-round pick.

What. In. The. World.

"I don’t want to say it was sort of long overdue," NFL analyst Peter King said on Tiki & Tierney. "But I think the interesting thing is people didn’t really know when it happened today – everybody said, ‘Hey, DeAndre Hopkins has three years and $50 million left. That’s really reasonable for maybe the best receiver in football.’"

Hopkins, who turns 28 in June, averaged 105 catches for 1,371 yards and 10.3 touchdowns over the last three seasons.

"In all ways, he’s better than Julio Jones over the last three years," King said. "But the problem was he wanted a new contract. There was a lot of question [about] whether he was going to play this year, whether he was going to come to camp. So that was part of it. When you look at the deal, the deal doesn’t make very much sense other than the fact that Bill O’Brien absolutely unequivocally was frothing for draft picks this year to start to rebuild his team, which he desperately needed to do."

O’Brien, who became Texans general manager in January, was harshly criticized for the trade.

"Bill O’Brien has solidified himself atop this franchise," King said. "In being now the coach and general manager of this team, he basically has tremendous power. . . Bill O’Brien has the power to pretty much do what he wants in this organization. That’s not going away any time soon."

Really not much to add to what has already been written, except I'm more in line with SteelB than all the other negativity.

Not paying much attention to football right now, I only read about the trade in this morning's Chronicle, which had four writers bloviating on the trade. After reading all, my initial thought was that it was time to let Hop go.

I don't particularly care for players who think too much of themselves.

In 2017 Hop signed a contract with the highest guarantee in NFL history, for a receiver at the time. With three years remaining on this contract, he now wants more money. Sorry, kiddo, the NFL is a business and teams have the long term team salary cap to budget for.

I haven't and won't read this intire thread, but from the pages I have read, I haven't seen anyone comment on the possibility that this trade was done out of respect for Hopkins' contributions to the team. Maybe. Maybe not.

But Hop was an unhappy camper. The team was not going to renegotiate his contract to pay him more. It was in Hop's best interest to move on and the team did what was best for him.

Sure, I'd have liked the team to have gotten more in the trade. But that is what it is. Rather than moan and complain, I look forward to this coming season and seeing how we adapt and improve.

One more comment. Johnson is supposedly an excellant receiver out of the backfield. If his ankle and knee problems are in the past, he should be a good fit.

Remember when the Texans were a brand new expansion team and couldn't sign a big time FA for any amount of money? Welcome back to the good old days.
Belicheck can pull off the "tough on players" act because he's the best coach to ever coach and players will deal with that to get a shot at a ring. OB can't even sniff the AFCCG. Well, he almost sniffed it in the playoffs this year but immediately and monumentally collapsed. Players look at that and chuckle to themselves.

Last edited:
Back