Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't believe there is a single "Easterboy" on this forum .... Wouldn't bother anyone if he was canned. Most would be thrilled.
Yes & no... I don't care for Easterby. But I don't know if firing him would be the best for this organization in the long term. Ownership just can't give this kind of power to the players. Texans, imo, are in a no win situation with this Easterby thing.

Best thing to do may be to build a wall around him, put him in a closet & promise the players (& follow through) he won't have influence on anything. Make him share an office with Vandemeer & Harris. Then part ways next year, or the year after.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Yes & no... I don't care for Easterby. But I don't know if firing him would be the best for this organization in the long term. Ownership just can't give this kind of power to the players. Texans, imo, are in a no win situation with this Easterby thing.

Best thing to do may be to build a wall around him, put him in a closet & promise the players (& follow through) he won't have influence on anything. Make him share an office with Vandemeer & Harris. Then part ways next year, or the year after.
id just go ahead and can him now simply b/c as long as he’s there, you’re gonna have this soap opera every other week with the leaks. & it’ll be a talking point with the media and every remotely semi-controversial move Caserio’s makes will be scrutinized under the guise of his proximity to Easterby.

we can’t have that going into the season next year.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

I hope this isn't just to cater to Watson.
Honestly I'm ok if it is, if all it takes to make Watson happy is just interview the guy then so be it. I mean Hell I have interviewed coworkers kids just to keep the office peace even if I knew they had no shot in Hell. Now if it comes to pushing to hire him just to make Watson happy thats a whole different ballgame.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
id just go ahead and can him now simply b/c as long as he’s there, you’re gonna have this soap opera every other week with the leaks. & it’ll be a talking point with the media and every remotely semi-controversial move Caserio’s makes will be scrutinized under the guise of his proximity to Easterby.

we can’t have that going into the season next year.
You're going to have that anyway, media doesn't like Houston and they don't like the fact we have Watson. Hell the NFL would prefer Watson was on a bigger market team. If the fire Easterby then there will be a new face of everything wrong and likely it will also be someone else we haven't really heard of unless they just go all in and start blaming Cal. Caserio is still a little to new so they'll give it a year before he is to blame for everything.

banned1976

sleeper mode
If EB takes the interview and gets the job, even though he's not my top candidate I'll root for him as much as I would anyone else. I'll give him a chance, 2-3 years just like I gave OB. But I know some will be ultra critical of him from the jump because "he's Watson's pick".

Now I kind of want him to get the job just for the reaction...lol

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
I don't believe there is a single "Easterboy" on this forum .... Wouldn't bother anyone if he was canned. Most would be thrilled.
That's what I thought but he's got a few ride-or-dies around here. God bless 'em for keeping things interesting.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
1. Joe Brady
2. Doug Pedersen
3. Eric Bienemy
4. Robert Saleh

But what do I know?
that’s the other thing. Saleh is the other “hot” candidate that the FO has not requested an interview with...not a damn peep from the media and folks about not interviewing him....shits a joke honestly

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If EB takes the interview and gets the job, even though he's not my top candidate I'll root for him as much as I would anyone else. I'll give him a chance, 2-3 years just like I gave OB. But I know some will be ultra critical of him from the jump because "he's Watson's pick".

Now I kind of want him to get the job just for the reaction...lol
I don't think that's the only reason to be "ultra critical" of EB .... there's a whole lot of other stuff and "who Watson wants" is really irrelevant.

What isn't is the stuff in his past and who's really dialing up the plays in KC.

Honestly I kinda want him to get the job ..... If he's going to design an offense similar to that of KC - assuming he can learn these dudes how to execute an RB screen.

I'm really leery of Brady's offense , after digging thru a few hours of tape , I see a lot of similarities to OB's , particularly the deep route combinations. That stuff works when you are LSU and have the best athletes / skilled players , I dunno how its going to translate to the NFL.
I want to see an offense that protects Watson , gets the ball out early more often than not.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I don't think that's the only reason to be "ultra critical" of EB .... there's a whole lot of other stuff and "who Watson wants" is really irrelevant.

What isn't is the stuff in his past and who's really dialing up the plays in KC.

Honestly I kinda want him to get the job ..... If he's going to design an offense similar to that of KC - assuming he can learn these dudes how to execute an RB screen.

I'm really leery of Brady's offense , after digging thru a few hours of tape , I see a lot of similarities to OB's , particularly the deep route combinations. That stuff works when you are LSU and have the best athletes / skilled players , I dunno how its going to translate to the NFL.
I want to see an offense that protects Watson , gets the ball out early more often than not.
Brady’s success with Burrow landed him the Panthers offensive coordinator job last offseason under Matt Rhule. Carolina was limited on offense this year, with Christian McCaffrey missing 13 games due to injuries, but they had two 1,000 yard receivers with Teddy Bridgewater at quarterback.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Except it isn't just players having issues with this dude. Look at all the in-season firings that took place this year. Now, to be fair, I have no clue if that's the norm for other teams as we don't hear about non-football personnel, but from the surface it seems odd to be cleaning house in-season.

And though I agree with the asylum not giving power to the prisoners, I can't recall a revolt like this ever taking place anywhere else. SI getting involved they way they have. There's just way too much smoke there for there not to be a fire.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Except it isn't just players having issues with this dude. Look at all the in-season firings that took place this year.
Players/employees... doesn’t matter. Either the CEO is running this or he’s not. If he can find a way to navigate this without cutting his throat & confirming he is the sole decision maker in Houston, I’ll be impressed.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Players/employees... doesn’t matter. Either the CEO is running this or he’s not. If he can find a way to navigate this without cutting his throat & confirming he is the sole decision maker in Houston, I’ll be impressed.
Well, considering this CEO has a ton of disgruntled employees, ex-employees, and rumored to be ex-employees (Rootes), it appears he's not running it. Or he is but he's not very good at it.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Brady’s success with Burrow landed him the Panthers offensive coordinator job last offseason under Matt Rhule. Carolina was limited on offense this year, with Christian McCaffrey missing 13 games due to injuries, but they had two 1,000 yard receivers with Teddy Bridgewater at quarterback.

I looked at quite a bit of footage of both LSU and this year in Carolina.

Hard to knock Bridgewater - he went 8-1 with the Saints last year ....

And two 1000 yard receivers didn't add up to much in terms of scoring - Carolina was 24th in points scored.

I was specifically looking at concepts , route combinations and depth of routes in general - What I saw reminded me an awful lot of OB's offense.

I'd prefer Daboll. What he did with Josh Allen in Buffalo is pretty remarkable ...

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Other than calling plays, what does an OC do?
Controls the other coaches for the offense. I really think he might be a good HC. However, I am not sure if he will fit here. The FO is by what I am seeing, is being run mainly by Easterby. They say that isn't the case, however it just seems like he tells Cal to do something because it is a good idea and it happens. Hopkins trade for example. We blamed OB but I don't think he was wanting to trade his best WR for a few cast off WRs. Meanwhile, Easterby has been quoted as saying Hopkins was not the type of person he wanted. He didn't say it in so many words but it came across that way. All because Hopkins was wanting a new deal. Plus, OB may not have been the best GM but minus the LT deal...can't imagine that he wanted to dump all the picks that were dumped. JJ was unhappy with things and so was OB. They got into it and Easterby used that as a scapegoat for moves he made. Remember, he was doing a lot with contracts.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I would be more than open to get Schottenheimer as OC. I don't know if Kelly is safe - our passing game was pretty good our run game historically awful. I wouldn't mind a change here under a new HC.
Well we didn't have a good RB either. If we can snag a good one in the draft, I think it will alter our run game. And a couple good RBs will be around in the 3rd to 5th rounds. Some are studs that played behind the top RBs around. The top 2 round pick type RBs. Meaning that they are fresher and not as beaten up. A few showed in small doses of time they could lead a run game in college and NFL if given the chance

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I don't disagree with you, but they should never have given Watson the impression that his opinion mattered if they did not want him upset that he was left out of it.

I thought it was absolutely bush league when we were learning about the ad hoc group surrounding McNair included a current player on the roster, especially as it pertains to hiring a GM. I've never ever heard of such a thing, including the GOAT players.

Perhaps listen to him about a head coach, schemes, etc., but I doubt any current player has the qualifications to hire a front office executive running football operations. That was just stupid pandering on McNair's part, something Bob McNair never would have done (especially considering his rather contentious public views about owners vs. players).

That’s dumb. Houston is one of the most diverse and welcoming cities. Did you see us during Harvey? We welcome and help our neighbors.

That’s the media stirring the pot.

Or Easterby leading a religious crusade.
I agree completely. Religious philosophy should be completely irrelevant to the Xs & Os.

But, it appears that Jack has a righteous crusade that the owner believes in, and it's a cause that seems to serve much higher purposes than winning mere championships.

This, of course, is speculation, but it's the only thing that makes any sort of sense to me. Either that, or Cal is so freakin' stupid that he's got to remind himself to blink every once in a while (and I don't think he's an ignoramus, so it's got to be the other thing. . .you know, the thing).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
& that’s the knock. I would have loved any of the New England offensive iterations. But BO’b wasn’t able to make it a reality in Houston.

& why should we have thought he would? The only offense he ever installed was at Penn State. & I honestly have no idea what that looked like.

So it is with Bieniemy. What offenses has he installed from the ground up?

If the idea was for him to come here & help Watson & Kelly fix their offense, maybe. But I’d feel a lot better if he had a Schottenheimer (not him specifically) to come with him.

I could be wrong. He may very well be capable of building a brand new offense with DeShaun. But right now I have no idea.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I agree completely. Religious philosophy should be completely irrelevant to the Xs & Os.

But, it appears that Jack has a righteous crusade that the owner believes in, and it's a cause that seems to serve much higher purposes than winning mere championships.
Excellent points. An ex-minister called one of the sports radio shows and he made the point that during the Caserio press conference. Neither Caserio or Cal mentioned winning a Super Bowl. They mentioned culture at least six times. He mentioned that players look at winning games and Super Bowls. Where running a football team with a religious philosophy in your personnel department is not the same.

In other words, the players see good players being shipped out for lesser players that fit the culture but reduces their chances of winning. While Cal and Easterby sees great Texans' worthy players.

Last edited:

Decim8

Veteran
I looked at quite a bit of footage of both LSU and this year in Carolina.

Hard to knock Bridgewater - he went 8-1 with the Saints last year ....

And two 1000 yard receivers didn't add up to much in terms of scoring - Carolina was 24th in points scored.

I was specifically looking at concepts , route combinations and depth of routes in general - What I saw reminded me an awful lot of OB's offense.

I'd prefer Daboll. What he did with Josh Allen in Buffalo is pretty remarkable ...
Oh damn really the same as OB? I was actually quite impressed when looking at Brady’s scheme and didn’t think it looked anywhere near OBs but then again I’m a noob when it comes to the Xs and Os of the game :confused:

Texazan

Our HOF 34
So it is with Bieniemy. What offenses has he installed from the ground up?
Technically he hasn't from what I've read. As far as picking plays this gives me not much confidence either. I'm not sure what to think....if he's making the calls then say it but if not then you can't hide it by saying we all take part...

Bieniemy has interviewed with multiple teams over the last two hiring cycles without landing a position, which has led to a couple of frequent responses. One of them is that Bieniemy is held back by the fact that Chiefs head coach Andy Reid calls the offensive plays. Reid has pushed back on that by saying everyone is involved with picking plays and that “my energy” is devoted to making sure there are good plays to pick. Bieniemy also downplayed the notion that he’s a bystander while Reid runs the show

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
they should never have given Watson the impression that his opinion mattered if they did not want him upset that he was left out of it.
Right now we don’t know if that was ever a problem. We don’t know DeShaun is mad because he was left out. We don’t know that he was told he was going to have any more input than what he had.

I thought it was absolutely bush league when we were learning about the ad hoc group surrounding McNair included a current player on the roster, especially as it pertains to hiring a GM.
I think we need to go back & look at that. I thought that was only pertaining to the HC.

Maybe. I agree 100% with the Texans about Clowney & the Honey Badger.

Not so much with Hopkins & Reader.

But I don’t know how involved Easterby was in any of them except Hopkins & if this Righteous crusade includes Hopkins, then our anger is misplaced.

I understand how it looks, all fingers pointing to Easterby. But that’s just wrong, plain wrong.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I'm just bracing for the next (clown) shoe to drop. I read that Jeff Fisher is thinking about returning to coaching. But he was behind drafting Michael Sam so I'm not sure he'd fit in with the "culture".

Who could the Texans hire as HC to make you just walk away?

whodknee

Working Class Hero
I'm just bracing for the next (clown) shoe to drop. I read that Jeff Fisher is thinking about returning to coaching. But he was behind drafting Michael Sam so I'm not sure he'd fit in with the "culture".

I can't think of any off hand. There are some I would rather not see here. I probably prefer someone under 50 that can stay awhile

Texazan

Our HOF 34

Jerry effin’ Glanville. I couldn’t stand that smug little ****

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Honestly can’t think of one. I like to think I’m pretty open minded. I can’t stand Jim Harbaugh, but if he were here, I’d back him 100% until he starts loosing.
Other than some despicable human being, woman beater, pedophile, tossing cats into the wood chipper, stuff like that, all I care about is winning. Not a fan of Harbaugh or McDaniels, just to name a couple, but I would give them the benefit of doubt and judge them by their results, just as I did for OB, Kubiak, any coordinators they've ever hired, so on and so forth. You won't see me being a "they didn't pick my guy so I'm going to trash him no matter what" like some here are.

Caserio will be judged by what talent he can bring in here. The new HC will be judged by what he can do with that talent and the staff he puts together. End of story.

A whole lot of stuff .... The OC generally designs the offense from the ground up , play design / concept / blocking scheme / blocking assignments on a given play. Then there's game plan & actual play calling and a million other details.
In other words, he coordinates, hence the name coordinator. RB coach, OL coach, WR coach, QB coach, he gets all of those guys working on the same page and coming together. He's not just a play caller. That's why I didn't think OB handing the play calling duties to Kelly was going to make much difference. It was the same offense, same design, same coaches. I mean, yeah, not calling a run up the middle and going with something else can help a little, but everything else is the same. That's why Kelly can't stay. He's simply OB Jr. in that regard.

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Winning is not a priority to Cal which was evident by the lack of "super bowl" or "championships" mentioned by Caserio. He mentioned culture like 10 times in his interview, but never once mentioned winning championships or super bowls. This team is so disconnected from the fan base and winning that it makes me second guess my fandom every day. I don't live in Texas, I live in Wisconsin. I could easily be a Packers fan and all of my friends would be happy. But no, I choose disappointment and weakness instead.

wildroot

Rookie

wildroot

Rookie
I'd be curious who EB'd choose for coordinators. The OC would probably be the person who would run the offense and would have to be on the same page as EB. Any ideas on DCs?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I'd be curious who EB'd choose for coordinators. The OC would probably be the person who would run the offense and would have to be on the same page as EB. Any ideas on DCs?
For offense, I am not sure who KC would promote and I have no idea what or how involved Andy Heck is, but he is the OL coach and I think we could use a good OL coach. Maybe he would be qualified to be OC with EB being heavily involved like Andy is. Another guy who might work is Mike Kafka, QB/Passing game coach.

For defense, I am not sure who EB knows or has worked with. You would assume he would stick to what he knows. Maybe Caserio can sway him to take an outsider as DC. I would love for them to get a younger innovative DC. Even if it is a risk. The old retreads are becoming outdated IMO.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Winning is not a priority to Cal which was evident by the lack of "super bowl" or "championships" mentioned by Caserio. He mentioned culture like 10 times in his interview, but never once mentioned winning championships or super bowls.
Did you watch the press conference yourself or are you basing this off something you heard some dumas say on the radio?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Check out 1:45
Below is the entire transcript. Cal mentioned championships twice in his opening remarks, culture twice.

Caserio mentioned super bowls or championships, zero times. He mentioned relative 8 times lol.

To be fair, Caserio did not mention culture one time. So he mentioned neither.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Oh damn really the same as OB? I was actually quite impressed when looking at Brady’s scheme and didn’t think it looked anywhere near OBs but then again I’m a noob when it comes to the Xs and Os of the game :confused:

It's not "the same" but what I was able to find was almost exclusively deeper routes , very little in the short throws / mid range.
Maybe that's just what makes the highlight reels / videos.

Basically what I get out of what I've seen is he'd let Watson do exactly what OB did as far as in the pocket / holding the ball until he's got to move around.
I's rather see quicker routes with those deep shots mixed in when down and distance allows or when they catch the defense in a bad alignment. Not as a staple of the offense like it has been.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Right now we don’t know if that was ever a problem. We don’t know DeShaun is mad because he was left out. We don’t know that he was told he was going to have any more input than what he had.

I think we need to go back & look at that. I thought that was only pertaining to the HC.

Maybe. I agree 100% with the Texans about Clowney & the Honey Badger.

Not so much with Hopkins & Reader.

But I don’t know how involved Easterby was in any of them except Hopkins & if this Righteous crusade includes Hopkins, then our anger is misplaced.

I understand how it looks, all fingers pointing to Easterby. But that’s just wrong, plain wrong.
Easterby and Cal. That's who is running this show. And Watson may very well want out thanks to he can't trust the FO. That is on them if it happens. Because teams are or will start calling.