Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

Mike Kafka is who I want as OC

he is the guy rumored to be more responsible for Mahomes’ development than EB.....which makes more sense b/c he’s a former QB. He’s also currently their passing game coordinator. Unless EB pulls him over with him to be the OC for us, he will ascend to be KC’s.

If we’re gonna get EB, I want Doug Pederson brought in as the OC.

Last edited:
They could do this and EB still back out of the interview, leaving Houston with whatever scraps are left.
Hire Joe Brady already. Lets start getting a plan together for the draft and figure out how to fix the cap issues.
If Watson wants to be a part of it, great, lets get to work.
If he doesn't, we have time to seek out an equitable trade partner.

So they don’t get the guy they want, whether that’s Bieniemy, Daboll, whoever, because they can’t wait until he’s done in the playoffs? If they’ve got to wait until Feb. 8 to get who they feel is the right guy, then so be it.

Getting the GM quickly, that needed to be done ASAP. I don’t see the need to rush to get the HC. Yeah they’re coming off the board, but the ones who have are obviously not who they wanted. I’m OK with waiting.

So they don’t get the guy they want, whether that’s Bieniemy, Daboll, whoever, because they can’t wait until he’s done in the playoffs? If they’ve got to wait until Feb. 8 to get who they feel is the right guy, then so be it.

Getting the GM quickly, that needed to be done ASAP. I don’t see the need to rush to get the HC. Yeah they’re coming off the board, but the ones who have are obviously not who they wanted. I’m OK with waiting.
So let's say they want Daboll & he's available Monday, but they wait for Bieniemy. The Chargers hire Daboll on Friday.

Feb 9, Bieniemy is available he decides he wants to go to Detroit.

We don't get Daboll. We don't get Bieniemy. We hire Marvin Lewis.

The longer they wait the longer they miss out on coordinators and position coaches. That's the problem. We can get the best hc out there but if he's forced to surround himself with a sub par staff he's not going to have success.

The real irony here is we were the first to fire a hc in week 4. They had all this time to figure it out and they're still behind the curve.

Wtf have they been doing since October when a succession plan was necessary? And why the hell pay "corn faires" so much just to ignore them?

Brian Cornelius Schottenheimer
Sure...he fell off a proverbial cliff, but he knows what he is doing. And it helps that Russel Wilson was not happy with him getting fired.

The Seahawks announced the decision Tuesday, citing "philosophical differences" as the reason for the parting, while calling Schottenheimer, 47, a "fantastic person and coach."

The decision comes after a disappointing end to an odd season in which the Seahawks scored the most points in franchise history but slogged their way through the second half.

Wilson ~ "Schotty... I'm grateful for how much you meant to me over the past three years," Wilson tweeted Tuesday night. "God blessed me with you, we won a lot of games, threw a lot of touchdowns and had a blast in meetings and our bible studies. The best days are ahead for you. Go be Great. God first. Love. 3"

Russell Wilson says he enjoys bible studies with Brian Schottenheimer...

No one tell Easterby. Schottenheimer would be out next HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So let's say they want Daboll & he's available Monday, but they wait for Bieniemy. The Chargers hire Daboll on Friday.

Feb 9, Bieniemy is available he decides he wants to go to Detroit.

We don't get Daboll. We don't get Bieniemy. We hire Marvin Lewis.

Culley
Staley
Lewis
Caldwell

If you hire someone now you still don’t get Daboll or Bieniemy. So what difference does that make?

I was just working on the assumption that the Bieniemy interview was simply to appease Watson and that the front office has already narrowed its search to Joe Brady. I just hate to see Caserio wait for the Bieniemy interview and possibly lose the candidate they are targeting all in an attempt to smooth things over with their QB.

This is all assumptions and heresay. The optics from the outside looking in are that 1) Joe Brady nailed the interview 2) Joe Brady wants to speak with Watson before making a decision 3) The Texans dragged their feet on interviewing Bieniemy indicating lack of interest 4) Requested an interview a little too late only after Watson's tweets and the media frenzy 5) The reports that Bieniemy has already said he wants nothing to do with Houston.

If Brady (or another) is the Texans choice, that decision needs to be made without waiting for a Bieniemy interview, even if that further upsets Watson. It is very possible that Bieniemy chooses another team when it's all said and done, which would leave Houston picking a HC and staff from the scrap bin at that point.

I was just working on the assumption that the Bieniemy interview was simply to appease Watson and that the front office has already narrowed its search to Joe Brady. I just hate to see Caserio wait for the Bieniemy interview and possibly lose the candidate they are targeting all in an attempt to smooth things over with their QB.

This is all assumptions and heresay. The optics from the outside looking in are that 1) Joe Brady nailed the interview 2) Joe Brady wants to speak with Watson before making a decision 3) The Texans dragged their feet on interviewing Bieniemy indicating lack of interest 4) Requested an interview a little too late only after Watson's tweets and the media frenzy 5) The reports that Bieniemy has already said he wants nothing to do with Houston.

If Brady (or another) is the Texans choice, that decision needs to be made without waiting for a Bieniemy interview, even if that further upsets Watson. It is very possible that Bieniemy chooses another team when it's all said and done, which would leave Houston picking a HC and staff from the scrap bin at that point.

Brady doesn’t have at lot on his resume so I don’t know how coveted he really is around the league. Sounds like a perfect Texans hire though, right? Even if they wait around for a token Bieniemy interview to appease Watson, Brady is still probably going to be there.

I do agree though that if Brady is who you want, go ahead and get it done, but with the mess they’ve created in all of this, I think you have to at least interview Bieniemy just to get right with your franchise QB.

Amazing how the Texans have had a 4 month head start to put a plan together, and have done an absolutely incredible job of botching it up like no other.

I'd really like to see Watson and Brady have a meeting. I'd like to see Watson and Daboll have a meeting. As for Bieniemy....has he said anything publicly since the Texans added him to their list? He did say he had no interest in Houston but I could see him waiting to see if he gets any offers. If he doesn't.....then there's always the Texans job. I'd hate landing a HC who had the Texans as his "absolute" last resort.

I'd really like to see Watson and Brady have a meeting. I'd like to see Watson and Daboll have a meeting. As for Bieniemy....has he said anything publicly since the Texans added him to their list? He did say he had no interest in Houston but I could see him waiting to see if he gets any offers. If he doesn't.....then there's always the Texans job. I'd hate landing a HC who had the Texans as his "absolute" last resort.

I fully expect to start hearing about these face to face meetings early this week. We should have already heard about a face to face meeting between Watson and Caserio. The fact we haven't bothers me.

The majority of the open hc spots may be filled before he's truly available. He and we may not have much choice.

He did say he had no interest in Houston
Bieniemy didn't say that publicly. There were reports that said Bieniemy didn't want to come to Houston. And that was before the Caserio hiring.

Still, I doubt he wants to interview here until the Watson mess is cleared up. Only someone desperate (Lewis, Caldwell) would take this job as it stands.

Well, if GB can knock off the Rams today, we can interview Staley next week. Same goes for Daboll if the Ravens can beat the Bills.
I guess it's too much to hope for that the Browns can pull one off on the Chiefs today to free up Bienemy...

I'm pulling for the Brownies, but not necessarily for that reason.

Well, if GB can knock off the Rams today, we can interview Staley next week. Same goes for Daboll if the Ravens can beat the Bills.
I guess it's too much to hope for that the Browns can pull one off on the Chiefs today to free up Bienemy...

Any of them can be interviewed now, they just can't be hired until they are out of the playoffs

Any of them can be interviewed now, they just can't be hired until they are out of the playoffs
Oh shoot, I thought I read all over this Board that no one could be contacted now until they were eliminated or the SB was over and done.

All 4 AFC teams left are from Reid's coaching tree (with 1 being Reid). Seems like his coaching tree is pretty damn solid to me.

honestly too much is made of the coaching tree thing. Kyle Shanahan was 1st an OC under Kubiak when he was here but was also an OC under his dad so whose coaching tree does he go under?
Ron Rivera is considered to be in Reid’s coaching tree b/c he was a LB coach for the eagles, but he 1st became a coordinator under John Fox. Why is that?

a lot of times those tree things don’t make a whole lot of sense. All of these guys have coached under good HC’s at 1 point or another.

honestly too much is made of the coaching tree thing. Kyle Shanahan was 1st an OC under Kubiak when he was here but was also an OC under his dad so whose coaching tree does he go under?
Ron Rivera is considered to be in Reid’s coaching tree b/c he was a LB coach for the eagles, but he 1st became a coordinator under John Fox. Why is that?

a lot of times those tree things don’t make a whole lot of sense. All of these guys have coached under good HC’s at 1 point or another.
I would say Gary and Kyle are under Mike's tree, which is impressive as well.

My point was that we seem to have overly criticized Andy's tree. Nagy made the playoffs with a bum QB. Doug won a SB with a backup QB. Add in the other impressive coaches under his tree and most have had success. Not sure why the consensus is opposite

Eberflus was at Kirby today...Maybe things are going on

He changed his mind and interviewed

Les Frazier too will be here this weekend

Back