Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

Easterby and Cal. That's who is running this show. And Watson may very well want out thanks to he can't trust the FO. That is on them if it happens. Because teams are or will start calling.
If Cleveland loses this week I bet Baker would be pleased knowing his season ended in January & not December.

If Buffalo loses this week I bet Josh Allen would think this season ended better than last season. Same for Lamar Jackson.

Right now they’re all happy about getting to do something DeShaun Watson did last year, play in the divisional round.

Steelbtexan, try to refrain from commenting on this.

I say that, just to say Watson hasn’t got a dang thing to complain about. He’s been in the playoffs two of the last three years & if he could have found a way to score more than 7 points while the other team put up 51 he wouldn’t have to worry about the Texans wasting his years.

Trust... pffft

If Cleveland loses this week I bet Baker would be pleased knowing his season ended in January & not December.

If Buffalo loses this week I bet Josh Allen would think this season ended better than last season. Same for Lamar Jackson.

Right now they’re all happy about getting to do something DeShaun Watson did last year, play in the divisional round.

Steelbtexan, try to refrain from commenting on this.

I say that, just to say Watson hasn’t got a dang thing to complain about. He’s been in the playoffs two of the last three years & if he could have found a way to score more than 7 points while the other team put up 51 he wouldn’t have to worry about the Texans wasting his years.

Trust... pffft
That’s great but completely irrelevant as to why Watson doesn’t trust the front office. His gripe is with being told something and then not following through from management. Something we all would be irritated with.

The same front office who you are praising for getting to the playoffs are the same people who dismantled the team and threw away the future. Watson should be frustrated.

I also want to remind everyone to stop jumping to conclusions. There is no proof Watson is even considering a trade. After all 8 months ago he wanted a no trade clause. I think he is just letting the media pressure ownership Into doing what it should have been doing all along.

I also want to remind everyone to stop jumping to conclusions.
Exactly. This conclusion that it's about trust, about being told one thing (that nobody knows he's been told) & the Texans doing another is way off base.

Andre spelled it out, it's about Easterby's influence.

The same front office who you are praising for getting to the playoffs are the same people who dismantled the team and threw away the future. Watson should be frustrated.
Watson should be frustrated they traded Hopkins yet he had the most prolific season of his career to date?

Watson should be frustrated they threw away the future to protect his blindside & paid him $140M?

Yes, some of the conclusions we're drawing would frustrate me too. But not if I was Watson.

Last edited:
Well, considering this CEO has a ton of disgruntled employees, ex-employees, and rumored to be ex-employees (Rootes), it appears he's not running it. Or he is but he's not very good at it.

So we've called for the Texans to clean house now for 10 years, they start cleaning house and now we question why so many are being fired. Cleaning house doesn't just mean they look to see who is unpopular or even just who isn't preforming at their best. It means a fundamental shift in the way a business is ran and, usually, a complete turnover because the vision of the company has changed. This is very common when a new owner takes over, for example the company my dad works out was just bought out and they came in and told everyone that by the end of the year some people would be rolled over but most would be replaced. Not because they had done a bad job but because the new owner has a different vision and doesn't want the old one conflicting with it. I've said it before but if people want to understand how the Texans do business stop thinking of them as a football team and start thinking of them as a corporation. All the moves Cal and the Texans have made is very much in line with cooperate SOPs.

Winning is not a priority to Cal which was evident by the lack of "super bowl" or "championships" mentioned by Caserio. He mentioned culture like 10 times in his interview, but never once mentioned winning championships or super bowls. This team is so disconnected from the fan base and winning that it makes me second guess my fandom every day. I don't live in Texas, I live in Wisconsin. I could easily be a Packers fan and all of my friends would be happy. But no, I choose disappointment and weakness instead.

Think you are trying to read between the lines a little to much. No real life adult GM is going to get up there and basically do nothing but hold a pep rally about how "We're going to win super bowls and championships." they would be mocked everyday for the next year and they would deserve it. Everyone would look at them and say "So winning is just now your goal? So what was it before?"

Exactly. This conclusion that it's about trust, about being told one thing (that nobody knows he's been told) & the Texans doing another is way off base.

Watson should be frustrated they traded Hopkins yet he had the most prolific season of career to date?
Watson should be frustrated they threw away the future to protect his blindside & paid him $140M?
Yes, some of the conclusions we're drawing would frustrate me too. But not if I was Watson.
From a selfish standpoint, Watson shouldn't be frustrated. However, Watson seems to also be trying to represent his teammates. To your point on Easterby's influence. Because of Fuller's suspension. Will they not even entertain the idea of retaining him because he doesn't fit the culture? Does the suspension discard his previous years with the team? Can you trust the front office to do what is needed to win a Super Bowl? Are they going to constantly ignore or release players who can't pass the Patriots Way/ Easterby sniff test?

This is speculation on my part. But, Watson has his money and he could easily keep quiet. Obviously, this is a point he's trying to make and based on Johnson's comments it all starts with the perception of Easterby's impact on the roster and organization.

Last edited:

Watson should be frustrated they traded Hopkins yet he had the most prolific season of career to date?

Bingo, as much as we hate to admit it, and I know I'm going to get rake over the coals for this, OB's plan to force Watson to target more than Hopkins worked. Now where OB screwed up is he took away the safety net but didn't make sure the tight rope was secured. In other words before he traded Hopkins, and don't even get me started on the craptastic value he got for him, he should have made sure there were other targets worth throwing to not named Fuller who hasn't finished a season yet. Likewise the defense needed some major work so that any gains the offense made were not lost. The plan itself was solid, the execution was wrong.

Likewise people talk about the Tunsil trade as though it was a first resort but truth was it was a last resort. We tried everyone lineman we had at that spot, we drafted a rookie we hoped would be able to do it quickly, and nobody start about Dillard because he hasn't been any better than Howard and thats after sitting behind a HoF LT and with a real line coach, and then we handed a big contract, with escape clauses, to a vet that we hoped still had some good games left in him but turned out to be the worst of the bunch. Even then they waited till the 11th hour before trading for Tunsil which I think is a big reason he had so many penalties the first year. He got to Houston and was pretty much playing that week.

So yeah people can talk about how the Texans have treated Watson badly but fact is they have not been afraid to make big moves or spend big to give him every chance to succeed. Granted it hasn't always worked out and some of the moves are very much "What were they thinking" but if you look at it without emotion and bias you can't say they haven't tried.

From a selfish standpoint, Watson shouldn't be frustrated. However, Watson seems to also be trying to represent his teammates. To your point on Easterby's influence. Because of Fuller's suspension. Will they not even entertain the idea of retaining him because he doesn't fit the culture? Does the suspension discard his previous years with the team? Can you trust the front office to do what is needed to win a Super Bowl? Are they going to constantly ignore or release players who can't pass the Patriots Way/ Easterby sniff test?

This is speculation on my part. But, Watson has his money and he could easily keep quiet. Obviously, this is a point he's trying to make and based on Dre's comments it all starts with the perception of Easterby's impact on the roster and organization.

So if they don't keep Fuller its because of Easterby? If they don't keep him its because they are disregarding his years with the team and they don't like his suspension? Ok lets talk about his years with the team, lets talk about how everyone of those years he has been injured and not finished a season yet. Even on the suspension the first year Fuller is WR1 and he knows the team is counting on him he takes some hooky meds and gets suspended so again he still doesn't finish the season, and on his contract year, but this time due to his own stupidity and not an injury. Pretty sure most teams wouldn't resign a guy like that Easterby or no Easterby.

Ok so finally got around to doing a very basic checkout of the Chiefs OC & prominent NFL HC prospects background and there's a couple of things that folks like the McNairs would find lets say probably unsavory, but nothing real serious, not like he's a serial rapist or something and he's been clean for almost 20 years but I dunno if he's clean enough for Cal and mommy Janice.
Probably one of the reasons the Hunt family and Andy Reid are the current world/SB champs is that they can tolerate a couple of unsavory types in their organization if they are successful and productive and I just dunno if the McNairs can handle that ?

Tony Dungy says Jim Caldwell has what it takes to lead Texans

Jan. 13, 2021 Updated: Jan. 13, 2021 9:07 p.m.

Jim Caldwell, shown coaching the Detroit Lions in against the Texans at NRG Stadium in 2016, is known for getting the best out his quarterbacks.
Photo: Brett Coomer, Staff / Houston Chronicle
Jim Caldwell built his NFL reputation through his partnerships with successful quarterbacks, including Peyton Manning through their shared love for routine.

For Caldwell, among the candidates who have interviewed for the Texans’ head coaching vacancy, it’s always been about sweating the details and having the ability to connect within the locker room.

Caldwell, a former head coach in Indianapolis and Detroit, receives a strong reference from Tony Dungy, who he worked for as quarterbacks coach in Tampa Bay and Indianapolis. Caldwell also has been a quarterbacks coach in Baltimore and Miami

“Jim is a fantastic person who knows offense, knows quarterbacks and he knows how to get people to work together,” Dungy said in a telephone interview. “He’s been in tough situations. Even before he was in Detroit, going into Baltimore and taking over the play-calling and getting Joe Flacco going and then going to Detroit and going to the playoffs, Jim has been able to fix things and he’s been able to get quarterbacks to play at the highest level.

“Whether that was Peyton Manning or Joe Flacco or Matthew Stafford, he’s been exceptional. I think it would be a great fit with Deshaun (Watson). I know he would be able to bring the locker room together. I think he would be sensational.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

I'm hearing that Joe Brady is going to be the Falcons next HC. That probably takes him off the Texans list.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brian Daboll rise to the top of the list. He did cut his NFL coaching teeth with the Patriots at the same time their dynasty was starting (2001-2006) before moving on to several other coaching jobs before coming back to the Patriots as TE Coach from 2013-2016. He was OC at Cleveland, Miami, and KC from 2009-2013. His big return came with Alabama as OC/QB Coach in 2017 and the Tides CFB Championship season. That success has continued with Buffalo (2018-Current) as their OC.

Sure, Daboll has a history with the Patriots and Caserio....but even Caserio can see Daboll has had success away from the "Patriots Way". It's up to no one else but Caserio who he wants to coach this team and in all honesty, why would he go with someone he's never mown versus someone he not only knows but has enjoyed success at both the CFB and NFL levels.

Daboll has been in the CFB and NFL coaching ranks since 1997, so I think between himself and Caserio....they could put together a pretty good coaching staff.

Last edited:
I'm hearing the Joe Brady is going to be the Falcons next HC. That probably takes him off the Texans list.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brian Daboll rise to the top of the list. He did cut his NFL coaching teeth with the Patriots at the same time their dynasty was starting (2001-2006) before moving on to several other coaching jobs before coming back to the Patriots as TE Coach from 2013-2016. He was OC at Cleveland, Miami, and KC from 2009-2013. His big return came with Alabama as OC/QB Coach in 2017 and the Tides CFB Championship season. That success has continued with Buffalo (2018-Current) as their OC.

Sure, Daboll has a history with the Patriots and Caserio....but even Caserio can see Daboll has had success away from the "Patriots Way". It's up to no one else but Caserio who he wants to coach this team and in all honesty, why would he go with someone he's never mown versus someone he not only knows but has enjoyed success at both the CFB and NFL levels.

Daboll has been in the CFB and NFL coaching ranks since 1997, so I think between himself and Caserio....they could put together a pretty good coaching staff.

I'm convinced it's gonna be Daboll. All these other "requested" interviews are bad PR stunts.

So we've called for the Texans to clean house now for 10 years, they start cleaning house and now we question why so many are being fired. Cleaning house doesn't just mean they look to see who is unpopular or even just who isn't preforming at their best. It means a fundamental shift in the way a business is ran and, usually, a complete turnover because the vision of the company has changed. This is very common when a new owner takes over, for example the company my dad works out was just bought out and they came in and told everyone that by the end of the year some people would be rolled over but most would be replaced. Not because they had done a bad job but because the new owner has a different vision and doesn't want the old one conflicting with it. I've said it before but if people want to understand how the Texans do business stop thinking of them as a football team and start thinking of them as a corporation. All the moves Cal and the Texans have made is very much in line with cooperate SOPs.

When fans talk about cleaning house they’re not generally talking about PR personnel and cap guys and security guards or whatever.

And if Cal wants to put his stamp on it, that’s fine. I just question the timing. Not that any of it really matters, but as it pertains to the Pastor, it’s been 2 years after dad has passed, it’s in-season, and it’s after the Pastor has been elevated to the position he has.

And normally it happens where we don’t know who any of these people are, or we never even hear about it at all, yet now we all know who Amy Palcic is. Then there’s the outpouring of player reaction to it, and of course the word lawsuit got thrown into the mix as well, which I never heard what came of that. Just a bunch of stuff that never should have gotten the public run that it did. I know that isn’t how it typically goes when teams clean house on the business side.

Again none of that should matter to any of us, until it spills over to the football side.

Yes & no... I don't care for Easterby. But I don't know if firing him would be the best for this organization in the long term. Ownership just can't give this kind of power to the players. Texans, imo, are in a no win situation with this Easterby thing.

Best thing to do may be to build a wall around him, put him in a closet & promise the players (& follow through) he won't have influence on anything. Make him share an office with Vandemeer & Harris. Then part ways next year, or the year after.

They have to bro. Has to clean this crap up. Can't let it linger on and on.

I have a sneaking suspicion we’re going to end up with Caldwell given the praise from Dungy and the “worthiness“ of what Dungy stands for. Especially if Easterby still has Cletus’ ear. Which may not necessarily be a horrible hire all things considered and it may placate DWs wishes but may blow the roof off this BBS. Otherwise my bet would be Daboll at this point. I just don’t see EB here at this point.

Jeff Fisher is the most overrated coach in league history and it would be such a Texan thing to hire someone like that too.

I still think the job is Daboll's to lose given his agent/ previous working relationship with Caserio and Rev Fowl.

So...any news on the Texans narrowing their HC search?

Far as I can see,
Robert Saleh to the Jets
Urban Meyer to the Jaguars
Arthur Smith almost to the Falcons

Moves are being made.

Has there ever been more pressure on an organization to get the head coach hire right?

No, not really. Sadly, even a HC who is amazing in other stops could come here and be worse than Capers (true he had nothing much to start) was his first 2-3 years. Meaning that a great HC still can be awful.

I say go with Brady or another younger coach. Leave Romeo as assistant HC/advisor. And pray that they figure out how to get it together and make everything work for the NFL.

So...any news on the Texans narrowing their HC search?

Far as I can see,
Robert Saleh to the Jets
Urban Meyer to the Jaguars
Arthur Smith almost to the Falcons

Moves are being made.

Just not by us for a reason unknown. True, some have said that they are not interested. Probably due to Cal and Easterby

No, not really. Sadly, even a HC who is amazing in other stops could come here and be worse than Capers (true he had nothing much to start) was his first 2-3 years. Meaning that a great HC still can be awful.

I say go with Brady or another younger coach. Leave Romeo as assistant HC/advisor. And pray that they figure out how to get it together and make everything work for the NFL.

Good on the first part....RC needs to retire.

Manhattan Project also said Joe Brady is still the top choice so far in the building, but EB is picking up steam.

EB is gaining because of Watson. He really likes him after talking with Mahomes. And with the way he is acting about the GM, a smart idea is hire the HC he likes most. That is as long as after the interview he still wants him. Don't get me wrong, EB has a knack for good ideas. But, we still don't know if Reid or EB is the one calling the plays or doing the game plan. For all we know EB isn't doing either or he is doing both. I think he was promoted to OC seeing Reid likes the guy and being a top HC candidate it could up the offers he gets.

I guess the Smith signing in Atlanta brings Joe Brady back into the picture. I just don't see the Texans and Caserio waiting until KC is done playing so they can interview EB and appease Watson. Waiting on EB could be a 4 week venture....essentially showing the Texans would be willing to put all their eggs into the EB basket.

I guess the Smith signing in Atlanta brings Joe Brady back into the picture. I just don't see the Texans and Caserio waiting until KC is done playing so they can interview EB and appease Watson. Waiting on EB could be a 4 week venture....essentially showing the Texans would be willing to put all their eggs into the EB basket.
They could do this and EB still back out of the interview, leaving Houston with whatever scraps are left.
Hire Joe Brady already. Lets start getting a plan together for the draft and figure out how to fix the cap issues.
If Watson wants to be a part of it, great, lets get to work.
If he doesn't, we have time to seek out an equitable trade partner.

They could do this and EB still back out of the interview, leaving Houston with whatever scraps are left.
Hire Joe Brady already. Lets start getting a plan together for the draft and figure out how to fix the cap issues.
If Watson wants to be a part of it, great, lets get to work.
If he doesn't, we have time to seek out an equitable trade partner.

BAM!!!! I do like how you think.

What if we went for a defensive guy like Brandon Staley, any ideas who may be the hot potential OCs out there?
Brian Cornelius Schottenheimer
Sure...he fell off a proverbial cliff, but he knows what he is doing. And it helps that Russel Wilson was not happy with him getting fired.

The Seahawks announced the decision Tuesday, citing "philosophical differences" as the reason for the parting, while calling Schottenheimer, 47, a "fantastic person and coach."

The decision comes after a disappointing end to an odd season in which the Seahawks scored the most points in franchise history but slogged their way through the second half.

Wilson ~ "Schotty... I'm grateful for how much you meant to me over the past three years," Wilson tweeted Tuesday night. "God blessed me with you, we won a lot of games, threw a lot of touchdowns and had a blast in meetings and our bible studies. The best days are ahead for you. Go be Great. God first. Love. 3"

Back