Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

Let’s just bring in previous players and staffers to build a coaching roster.

Demeco HC
JJ Watt DL
AJ80 as WR coach
TJ Yates QB coach
Schaub OC

Just go wild and see what happens 😂
Owen Daniels for OC. Move Schaub upstairs, passing game coordinator or some "honorary" title like that.

Owen Daniels for OC. Move Schaub upstairs, passing game coordinator or some "honorary" title like that.
Schaub knows the WCO better than any of them and while I was never the biggest Schaub fan because of his limitations, I trusted him as a field general. He is incredibly knowledgeable and I think would be able to help mold an offense.

Demeco HC
Schaub OC
Yates QB coach
Rosenfels Passing game coordinator
AJ WR coach
Foster RB coach
Daniels TE coach
C Meyers OL coach

Demeco DC (he will have to pick someone to mentor for future DC)
Watt DL coach
Cushing LB coach
JJO DB coach

Brooks Reed Special Teams Coordinator

Yeah, I know this will never happen lol, but honestly, I would trust this group more than any other group. They would be so hungry to win as coaches since they didn't win it all as players.

Schaub knows the WCO better than any of them and while I was never the biggest Schaub fan because of his limitations, I trusted him as a field general. He is incredibly knowledgeable and I think would be able to help mold an offense.

Demeco HC
Schaub OC
Yates QB coach
Rosenfels Passing game coordinator
AJ WR coach
Foster RB coach
Daniels TE coach
C Meyers OL coach

Demeco DC (he will have to pick someone to mentor for future DC)
Watt DL coach
Cushing LB coach
JJO DB coach

Brooks Reed Special Teams Coordinator

Yeah, I know this will never happen lol, but honestly, I would trust this group more than any other group. They would be so hungry to win as coaches since they didn't win it all as players.

The Dream Team 2.0!

Eh... does not scream "leader of men" to me. But it's your world.
He's an OC not head coach. He never had a problem leading our offense. We never had complaints by other players of his leadership style. Maybe he would never get poached to be HC somewhere lol.

Seriously though, imagine Stroud incorporating some of Schaub's skills. Play action, ability to read defenses and make quick decisions, protecting the ball etc. Plus you have the athleticism, accuracy, and deep ball from Stroud. I think it's just crazy enough to work

He's an OC not head coach. He never had a problem leading our offense. We never had complaints by other players of his leadership style. Maybe he would never get poached to be HC somewhere lol.

Seriously though, imagine Stroud incorporating some of Schaub's skills. Play action, ability to read defenses and make quick decisions, protecting the ball etc. Plus you have the athleticism, accuracy, and deep ball from Stroud. I think it's just crazy enough to work
Don't forget about Schaubs play action game...that fake was so good.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Tell u what, Kafka was integral in developing Mahomes..Has seemingly resurrected Jones’ career……If he can keep Jones from looking like a complete klusterf&@# against Philly in this game but they wind up losing…he’s my guy over Gannon. i’d LOVE to get him here as the HC and let him develop Young/Stroud or even Levis.

I am still really surprised Brian Callahan isn't getting much attention or interviews. The guy has a really solid track record with QBs and has the Bengals offense humming the past few years. Listening to interviews with Demeco and hearing him mic'd up coaching, gets me pumped. I think he is creeping up as my favorite, especially if he can assemble a WCO staff. I think my current ranks would be this.

Demeco
Brian Callahan (no interview with him at this time)
Shane Steichen
Mike Kafka
Jonathan Gannon

I'm out on Payton. I guess I'm out on DeMeco also. I really like DeMeco, and he's a fan favorite, but I don't want his first HC job to be in Houston. At least not now. This is going to be a tough gig, and I don't want him to fail here, and ruin fan's opinion of him. If he's to become the Texans HC, I want it to be a few years down the road when we are a better team, and he has more experience.

Fair point.

The Houston Texans Head Coach Bowl is about to start. Jonathan Gannon, Shane Steichen, Mike Kafka are about to tee it up and their respective responsibilities will be on display. Mike Kafka is set to interview with the Texans tomorrow.

My bet is Kafka will sign with the Colts or Carolina.

My question is, who's the Leader of Men out there.

We need that.

Yes you need talent and smarts otherwise, but that leadership and drive is most important. Your players need to want to march behind you through the gates of hell to win consistently in this league.

No, Gannon is highly regarded in the coaching ranks as one of the top HC candidates out there.
No Deja Vu.
See post 2754.
If Gannon is highly regarded then why do only (2) teams want to do an interview? Gannon had 3 interviews last year, one being Denver, which has no interest in talking with Gannon in 2023. Post-2754 confirms my earlier comments that Gannon has bounced around quite a bit spending a couple of years at each stop (aka Pep Hamilton) and his coaching tree is not that spectacular. Unlike Kafka who spent 7 years under Andy Reid's tutelage.

I don't know about fallback guy as they have Supposedly been interested in him sent lovey was fired.
In the coaching carousel of 2023, Gannon as a prospect has one of the weaker resumes with fewer interviews. If the Texans cannot do better there is always Gannon. Maybe?

There are a couple of interesting names here
Although I'm not sure where they get these names from
Everyone know that this twitter guy is just pulling names out of his arse, right?

DC- Zimmer

Absolutely not. This guys has been flamed roasted by just about every player that's played under him. Cannot bring this toxic attitude into the building. Makes O'Brien look like a puppy dog.

If Gannon is highly regarded then why do only (2) teams want to do an interview? Gannon had 3 interviews last year, one being Denver, which has no interest in talking with Gannon in 2023. Post-2754 confirms my earlier comments that Gannon has bounced around quite a bit spending a couple of years at each stop (aka Pep Hamilton) and his coaching tree is not that spectacular. Unlike Kafka who spent 7 years under Andy Reid's tutelage.

Have you ever looked at Kyle Shannahan’s record of bouncing around?

It is normal unless you get on a staff that has a coach like Reid or Belicheck he stays the coach for several years. Most coaches only last 3-4 years (unless your the Texans) and the best assistants get routinely picked off of other staffs. Coaching in the NFL is riddled with nepotism. To make a name for yourself when you weren’t an x-player or son of a coach is a hard thing to do. Not that is a dig at Shanahan,, Kafka, or Demeco.

Nagy and Pederson stayed with Reid for a number of years.

It’s a crap shoot and you can’t just apply simplistic rules to screen a candidate. Jumping around may expose you to different teams and strategies instead of being boxed into one.

Ahhh...so the Gannon candidacy assasination starts. Who knew it would be you.
So you must know that in many cases that's how assistant coaches are promoted, based on their performance on Team A, Team B hires them away from Team A by way of a promotion. You must know that an assistant under contract can't make a lateral move to a different team just because.
I know you know this.
I look at it like he was/is a hot commodity around the league, thus all the stops.
2 request for interviews is better than none, which is the number of interview requests 100's of assistants got for Head Coaching gigs in the NFL this year.
Could be the lack of interviews are because those in the know think Houston is going to make him an offer he can't refuse and more than other teams would be willing to pay. Or not.
Or perhaps Gannon has made it know that he wants to coach Houston. Or not. On the other hand who gives a $hit, less competition for us to sign him if that's our choice. Suits me fine.

I think the bigger question is why
it took Kafka 6 or 7 years for a Team B to take notice of him and offer him a promotion.

I'd be pretty much equally happy with the lot of them, which ever one we snag and that includes Kafdka, as long as it's not Peyton. Don't want to give away draft capital.

Last edited:
Ahhh...so the Gannon candidacy assasination starts. Who knew it would be you.
So you must know that in many cases that's how assistant coaches are promoted, based on their performance on Team A, Team B hires them away from Team A by way of a promotion. You must know that an assistant under contract can't make a lateral move to a different team just because.
I know you know this.
I look at it like he was/is a hot commodity around the league, thus all the stops.
2 request for interviews is better than none, which is the number of interview requests 100's of assistants got for Head Coaching gigs in the NFL this year.
Could be the lack of interviews are because those in the know think Houston is going to make him an offer he can't refuse and more than other teams would be willing to pay. Or not.
Or perhaps Gannon has made it know that he wants to coach Houston. Or not. On the other hand who gives a $hit, less competition for us to sign him if that's our choice. Suits me fine.

I think the bigger question is why
it took Kafka 6 or 7 years for a Team B to take notice of him and offer him a promotion.

I'd be pretty much equally happy with the lot of them, which ever one we snag and that includes Kafdka, as long as it's not Peyton. Don't want to give away draft capital.
You only wish you knew what I know. :)

No candidate assassination, just a statement of fact. I do understand why you feel this way

Its the weaker resume.

Actually Kafka played for Reid for two years. Coached for 5 years. Which is just about right to pay your dues and learn your trade. And Reid said he called Kafka to coach because he was very smart.

Tell the boys in the Kool Aid Brigade I said hi. Adios.

This is pretty awesome. JJ and Payne praising him, saying things we already know.

This is what seems to be setting DeMeco apart. Guy has never not been great, that's the thing. And when you hear this almost universal reverence, it's hard to turn that down.

I don't want Lynn as OC but hopefully if we go with Ryans we can get him to pick someone else.

This is pretty awesome. JJ and Payne praising him, saying things we already know.

This is what seems to be setting DeMeco apart. Guy has never not been great, that's the thing. And when you hear this almost universal reverence, it's hard to turn that down.

I don't want Lynn as OC but hopefully if we go with Ryans we can get him to pick someone else.
Organize a GoFundMe bribe?

No candidate assassination, just a statement of fact. I do understand why you feel this way

Its the weaker resume.

Actually Kafka played for Reid for two years. Coached for 5 years. Which is just about right to pay your dues and learn your trade. And Reid said he called Kafka to coach because he was very smart.

Kalfka is my #1 guy after Payton

I like Gannon's proposed staff a lot too though.

Ross Tucker on both Jonathan Gannon and Shane Steichen. Go to the 5:00 minute mark for the start of his breakdown

Pretty interesting. According to Tucker they would both be great hires.
At this point, I’m on the same train as some others here, just don’t hire Payton due to losing too much draft capital.

I’m surprised no one is bring up that Kafka’s offense was only able to score 7 tonight in the playoffs.
I wasn’t able to watch the game. Was it the playing calling or Jones?
That's Daboll's offense. Are you suggesting the Giants should dump him & start over?

The Giants were blessed to be in the situation they were in last night and they made several plays. They just couldn't rise to the moment against a better team.

Ross Tucker on both Jonathan Gannon and Shane Steichen. Go to the 5:00 minute mark for the start of his breakdown

Excellent podcast and very interesting indeed…thanks for sharing.

That's Daboll's offense. Are you suggesting the Giants should dump him & start over?
Where do you get that? I stated nothing about Daboll.

No matter whose offense it is, the OC can be creative with the play calling. Now I recognize that the Giants have limited offensive talent outside of Barkley. Since I didn’t watch the game I asked if it was the play calling or Jones. Or it could possibly just be because the Eagles have a very talented squad.

Demeco and Mike LaFluer. LaFluer spent a few years in Shannhan’s offense. He went with Saleh to the Jets but got let go because of the QB( name escapes me). Saleh didn’t want to let him go but owners made him. LaFluer made White look good but couldn’t do it for the milf Hunter. ( only thing that comes to mind about qb).

We would have a real leader and a good offensive mind.

IMHO.

Where do you get that? I stated nothing about Daboll.

No matter whose offense it is, the OC can be creative with the play calling. Now I recognize that the Giants have limited offensive talent outside of Barkley. Since I didn’t watch the game I asked if it was the play calling or Jones. Or it could possibly just be because the Eagles have a very talented squad.
Jones made some bad decisions especially in the first half. But Phillys defense was on point. It was a mixture of everything. Jones was under pressure a lot. Running for his life a lot of the game. I don’t think the scheme or play calling was actually bad. Mostly one team out performing the other by a large margin.
Whether or not you liked Kafka before the game, your opinion should not be swayed by that performance.

Steichen and Gannon both seemed to cement their place but I also don’t think they showed anything different. The first half of that game was pure domination by Philly. It wasn’t even a little close. 28-0 might as well have been 1000-0.

Its the weaker resume.

When you’re ready, please go ahead and post your resume so we can all understand how you know what you know.

Nobody is proposing the obvious. Texans will hire nobody on their initial interview list.
Could be some random dude but what i see is,

“At this time, texans have decided not to hire any of the potential candidates and Nick Casario will be taking over the head coaching duties.”

Back