Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidates

So, if Gannon ends up being the Texan's pick for head coach, then who might be his OC & DC? Brian Callahan is scheduled to interview for the Titan's head coach & no one else as of yet. If he doesn't get the Titan's job, I'd love to see the Texans bring him in as the OC/Assistant Head Coach. He's had great success turning offenses around everywhere he's gone & the OC/AHC would be a promotion for him. I definitely don't want Gannon to be the DC, because he's going to have enough on his plate just being a head coach for the first time. So, who would make a good DC that hasn't been one before? Or, should we steal Wade Phillips away from the XFL (or, whatever they call themselves)?

I give Daboll all the credit in the world for selecting Mike Kafka to be his offensive coordinator. It is Mike Kafka who is sitting in the booth calling the plays.
Just an observation. But, I always find it funny that when you have a former OC as a HC, who do you give the credit for developing his QB? Supposedly, it's the HC's offensive system, but if you like or dislike the OC who runs the HC system, their contributions get either overstated or understated.

With a former DC as HC, I can see the OC and QB coach getting full credit for developing a QB. However, when the HC is a former OC and the team is running his system, I'm not sure you can give the OC or QB coach full credit for developing that QB.

Last edited:
So, if Gannon ends up being the Texan's pick for head coach, then who might be his OC & DC? Brian Callahan is scheduled to interview for the Titan's head coach & no one else as of yet. If he doesn't get the Titan's job, I'd love to see the Texans bring him in as the OC/Assistant Head Coach. He's had great success turning offenses around everywhere he's gone & the OC/AHC would be a promotion for him. I definitely don't want Gannon to be the DC, because he's going to have enough on his plate just being a head coach for the first time. So, who would make a good DC that hasn't been one before? Or, should we steal Wade Phillips away from the XFL (or, whatever they call themselves)?
I found this really insightful on staffing possibilities. The guy is doing one of these for each candidate I think. Steichen’s options were really good too.

Have you been there? You'd rather look at Exxon refineries than the Rocky Mountains? Not to mention, give me snow any day of the week and twice on Sunday over 100 with 95% humidity.

I love the smell of refineries in the morning.

At night they look like miniature cities.

Snow? Shoveling. Black ice. Tires. Ugh. Give me humidity any day of the week and people that don’t know how to drive in normal conditions.

That was a very nice video.

And if it convinces you that Jones is all of a sudden a franchise QB, well, okie doke I guess..
No, trust my own eyes but added for confirmation purposes. Seriously some point if you see enough, everyone’s threshold is different, is he?

Last edited:
We'll know the Texans are getting fixed when they finally make it past the divisional round of the playoffs. That might be next century though.

Resumes are a list of previous work history:

Jonathan Gannon resume:
As a coach:
VS

Mike Kafka resume:
As a player:
As a coach:
* Offseason and/or practice squad member only

Is Kafka a job hopper?
Right because a couple of talking head experts are already infatuated with Gannon. I know people put a lot of faith in public commentators. Just keep in mind that Lance Zierlein gets it wrong over 30% of the time.
I put little faith in what any of the 610 “experts” have to say. More knowledgeable peeps here imho

I wonder the same about Payton..

I wonder why Frank Ross isn’t a HC candidate? Can’t be any worse than his last two bosses and maybe he’s the next John Harbaugh?

The league’s 32 teams are ranked in 22 kicking-game categories and assigned points according to their standing – one for best, 32 for worst. The Texans compiled 255 points to finish 14 1/2 better than the runnerup Seattle Seahawks at 269.5. The top 12 finishers included two division champions – Buffalo and Jacksonville – and four wild-card playoff teams: Seattle, Baltimore, the Chargers and Dallas.

I wonder why Frank Ross isn’t a HC candidate? Can’t be any worse than his last two bosses and maybe he’s the next John Harbaugh?

The league’s 32 teams are ranked in 22 kicking-game categories and assigned points according to their standing – one for best, 32 for worst. The Texans compiled 255 points to finish 14 1/2 better than the runnerup Seattle Seahawks at 269.5. The top 12 finishers included two division champions – Buffalo and Jacksonville – and four wild-card playoff teams: Seattle, Baltimore, the Chargers and Dallas.

From the article:
The Texans finished first in three categories – kickoff coverage, opponent starting point and takeaways. They ranked in the Top 5 in seven categories and the Top 10 in nine categories.

I'll take the one-year OC where major improvements were made after he arrived over a 2 year DC where the Defense was very good before he arrived.
In your efforts to boost Kafka, you keep minimizing/ignoring Daboll's impact.

Based on your criteria. Tim Kelly called plays after BOB was fired and "developed" Watson to the point where he led the NFL in passing. Under Kelly's tutelage, Davis Mills had a five game stretch where he played as well as any QB in his draft class. Maybe Kelly should be on the interview list. :kitten:

In your efforts to boost Kafka, you keep minimizing/ignoring Daboll's impact.

Based on your criteria. Tim Kelly called plays after BOB was fired and "developed" Watson to the point where he led the NFL in passing. Under Kelly's tutelage, Davis Mills had a five game stretch where he played as well as any QB in his draft class. Maybe Kelly should be on the interview list. :kitten:
Kafka is my favorite as well. I understand Daboll was there. But Kafka spending so much time with Ried, then being there with Daboll as they fixed that offense...

Got nothing against whoever the other guy in this conversation, but I liked Kafka when he was in KC, the stuff we read about him.

Then going out from under Reid & building something new... that's the guy I'm most excited about

Not in my book. Kafka has been with 2 NFL teams. Gannon has been with 5 NFL teams, more than twice as many as Kafka. Kafka meteoric rise was done in 5 years. Gannon has bounced around for 14 years. Gannon inherited a top defense. Kafka inherited a losing offense.
Not sure which of 5 defenses you're refering to. He became Phili's D Cordinator in 2020, in 2019 that defense was ranked 15th, right smack in the middle, certainly not a Top Denfense.

So far Gannon's reported proposed staff includes

OC- Reich
DC- Zimmer
QB- Johnson
ST's Ross

Vets that know what they're doing that have the connections to add quality assistants that know how these work and how to maximize the talent on hand. (Teach) Sign me up for this if you cant get Kalfka/Payton)

I'll take the one-year OC where major improvements were made after he arrived over a 2 year DC where the Defense was very good before he arrived.
I skimmed a lot of the thread and missed a lot more of the stuff you spouted. Damn man, you just intentionally spread misinformation to boost the guy you like and poop on the guy you don’t. Put the numbers up so everyone can see if you are being as factual as you think you are in your head.

So? The Saints finished outside the top 10 in points scored in 3 times during Payton's 16 seasons as head coach.

2020 - 19th
2010 - 11th
2007 - 12th

That means in the other 13 seasons, the Saints finished top 10 in points scored. 3 times they were over 500 points. How many times have the Texans finished in the top 10 in scoring?

2012 - 8th
2011 - 10th
2010 - 9th
2009 - 10th

The Texans franchise record for points scored was 416 points in 2012. Payton's teams have scored more than 416 points in 9 of 16 seasons. He's been considered one of the premier offensive coaches in the game for nearly 2 decades. Why is there even a debate about this? The more people try to find issues with Payton, the more you realize what an outstanding coach he has been.

we just gonna act like he didnt have a HOF qb pulling the trigger for him that whole time? A guy who was by all accounts a made man before Payton.

So what does DeMeco Ryans know about running offenses, and/or who would he have as his OC? Because that's kinda important.

If Cal agrees to fire Caserio, give Kafka control and allow him to hire (Mike Borgonzi???) his own GM (ala Carroll & Schnieder, Reid & Veach) then, and only then, the Texans might have a chance at hiring Kafka.

Cal needs to fire up the plane to fly to New York City (without Nick Caserio), get him a Suite at The Plaza Hotel, and sit down and spend a couple of hours with Mike Kafka (i know Cal, right). Cal needs to promise Kafka everything he needs to be successful and not leave without Kafka becoming the next HC of the Houston Texans.
Becoming more interested in Mike Kafaka as process continues.
Kafaka has no personality at all. Dudes a boring to listen to. Just doesn’t seem like a leader of men. To soft spoken.

No thanks, ill take Shane Steichen.

The same can be said of your disdain for Nick Caserio. Me, I absolutely think Caserio and Payton could come together for a mutually agreed upon plan for the Texans success.

Payton will come at a cost, and that’s something the McNair’s have to agree on paying. If they decide to pay the ransom, the Texans get a HC with the pedigree and respect they’ve never enjoyed during their short existence. Payton will attract top coordinators and position coaches to the organization along with top FA players. The Texans have never really enjoyed this type of image.

As for Caserio, he would finally have a coaching staff that could implement a system that appeals to veterans and should allow for development of the players he brings to the team. Caserio getting his job done would become a much easier task with Payton on board.

SB pedigree argument is hit or miss. This is the best case i’ve heard made for Payton yet..

The same can be said of your disdain for Nick Caserio. Me, I absolutely think Caserio and Payton could come together for a mutually agreed upon plan for the Texans success.

Payton will come at a cost, and that’s something the McNair’s have to agree on paying. If they decide to pay the ransom, the Texans get a HC with the pedigree and respect they’ve never enjoyed during their short existence. Payton will attract top coordinators and position coaches to the organization along with top FA players. The Texans have never really enjoyed this type of image.

As for Caserio, he would finally have a coaching staff that could implement a system that appeals to veterans and should allow for development of the players he brings to the team. Caserio getting his job done would become a much easier task with Payton on board.
I just can't get excited on bringing in a 60 yr old coach to lead these 24 year olds...He was a HC for 16 years, won a SB 13 years ago, yeah, I know he coulda, shoulda, woulda but he didn't. He won 1 SB. He got burnt out and quit the game and now wants to come back. I don't think his heart's in it, think he wants a final pay-day. He was a good coach in N.O., but he had what turned out to be a HOF QB playin for him! Those are few and far between.
I'd rather have someone that can relate to these players, Gannon, Ryans, Steichen, Mayo, Kafka...what about about Bieniemy?!? Someone that can grow with the team and may be here for 15-20 yrs. I want our own HC, don't want people saying we had to had to poach N.O.'s HC to get good, that's BS, we'll get our own guy! And we'll keep our draft picks too!
Nick, give one of these young guys a shot! They won't cost us a 1st round draft pick and more either! We'll get a brand new shiny HC and 3 of the TOP 34 picks in the draft! I'm pumped!

So far Gannon's reported proposed staff includes

OC- Reich
DC- Zimmer
QB- Johnson
ST's Ross

Vets that know what they're doing that have the connections to add quality assistants that know how these work and how to maximize the talent on hand. (Teach) Sign me up for this if you cant get Kalfka/Payton)
He'd keep Ross? I'm glad to hear that, Ross'll be a HC someday.

Last edited:
If Cal agrees to fire Caserio, give Kafka control and allow him to hire (Mike Borgonzi???) his own GM (ala Carroll & Schnieder, Reid & Veach) then, and only then, the Texans might have a chance at hiring Kafka.

Cal needs to fire up the plane to fly to New York City (without Nick Caserio), get him a Suite at The Plaza Hotel, and sit down and spend a couple of hours with Mike Kafka (i know Cal, right). Cal needs to promise Kafka everything he needs to be successful and not leave without Kafka becoming the next HC of the Houston Texans.
Firing Caserio, that ain't happenin'...We need to start having some stability on this team. If Caserio got canned and we hired someone else as GM, that would be 5 GMs since 2017. If you count Romeo, we'll have 5 Head Coaches since 2020 including whoever we hire in the next few days. 10 GMs and HCs since 2017? Yeah, that'll make us look good.
NC's still stickin' this one out after coming into a major dumpster fire! He's got our Cap under control, got a great return for Watson, he's been building this team thru the draft...we all said this rebuild was going to take several years, so give the man a chance. He's gone through the $hit part of it, now he should see some smooth sailing...he's earned it!

Firing Caserio, that ain't happenin'...We need to start having some stability on this team. If Caserio got canned and we hired someone else as GM, that would be 5 GMs since 2017. If you count Romeo, we'll have 5 Head Coaches since 2020 including whoever we hire in the next few days. 10 GMs and HCs since 2017? Yeah, that'll make us look good.
NC's still stickin' this one out after coming into a major dumpster fire! He's got our Cap under control, got a great return for Watson, he's been building this team thru the draft...we all said this rebuild was going to take several years, so give the man a chance. He's gone through the $hit part of it, now he should see some smooth sailing...he's earned it!
Preach. Quoted from nothing but the truth

Back