Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

Texian

Hall of Fame
Nope, that happened when Caserio let Gannon know that Lovie was the hire a day or 2 before Lovie was hired.
Now, this is what you call wishful thinking or revising history or BOTH! I believe there is a very strong possibility that you have some bad mushrooms growing in your backyard. You should stop eating them. They are having some very bad side effects that cause hallucinations and seeing and hearing things that simply are not so. :)

Texian

Hall of Fame
You dont know the language in the contract so you dont know this. You believe what you're going to believe. Truth is it's doubtful that if Caserio didn't do what the McNair's and they fired Caserio that the McNair's would have to pay off Caserio's contract. I think you've got a case of wishful thinking, since you didn't like the Caserio hire from the beginning.
Cal hired Lovie less than 48 hours after Gannon withdrew his name from consideration. This was the exact point where Cal came to fully understand that after two major FUBARS Caserio WAS NOT the GM that Bill O'Brien and Jack Eastery promised Caserio would be. For $36 million is easy for Nick Caserio to agree to relinquish many of his GM duties and responsibilities and become the facilitator he had been for Bill Belichick and the Patriots. To be honest Caserio looks happier and more competent in his new role with Lovie.

I 1st started noticing the dysfunction in 2010.

The McNair's overruling their football people on who they could and couldn't draft/add in FA.
Have you figured out what it was that caused you to lose your way in 2020 and become as dysfunctional as the McNairs? :)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Cal hired Lovie less than 48 hours after Gannon withdrew his name from consideration. This was the exact point where Cal came to fully understand that after two major FUBARS Caserio WAS NOT the GM that Bill O'Brien and Jack Eastery promised Caserio would be. For $36 million is easy for Nick Caserio to agree to relinquish many of his GM duties and responsibilities and become the facilitator he had been for Bill Belichick and the Patriots. To be honest Caserio looks happier and more competent in his new role with Lovie.

Have you figured out what it was that caused you to lose your way in 2020 and become as dysfunctional as the McNairs? :)
The 48 hours comment made my point.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Then the Texans have never had a real GM because this the way the McNair's have always operated and probably will continue to operate
yes.

They’ve always let someone influence them. Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith, Bill O’Brien, Jack Easterby….

there have been some success, Kubiak/Rick Smith but not good enough.

Some failures Bill O’Brien/Easterby.

Now, we don’t know who is telling them what to think Lovie/Caserio/Cal

Caserio hasn’t been the guy, we know that. Hopefully he comes out on top. If he can’t present options that makes more sense to Cal & Janice, then he’s just not the guy we hoped him to be.

Again, we know Kubiak, Rick, BO’b, & Easterby have been able to influence them.

Surely the firing of Easterby signals that era is over & there’s a new influence. But we don’t know who it is.

Texian

Hall of Fame
The 48 hours comment made my point.
Less than 48 hours includes Gannon's rebuke of the Texans and Lovie explaining to Cal the conditions and demands under which he would agree to be the next HC of the Texans which included hiring his own staff and final say on player personnel. Caserio would report to Lovie and Lovie had no use for Easterby.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Then the Texans have never had a real GM because this the way the McNair's have always operated and probably will continue to operate until Janice takes the ultimate dirt nap.
The Texans had a real GM in Casserly and by definition and practical purposes Nick Caserio was a real GM in 2021.

Doc108

Waterboy
Less than 48 hours includes Gannon's rebuke of the Texans and Lovie explaining to Cal the conditions and demands under which he would agree to be the next HC of the Texans which included hiring his own staff and final say on player personnel. Caserio would report to Lovie and Lovie had no use for Easterby.
Typically a good way to convince people of your side of things is to provide some sort of evidence or source. Note that this does not include the personal guesses of someone with no actual insight into the organization. Is there any kind of source for this that you’ve provided and I’ve missed? If there is that would likely go a long way towards convincing people

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Texans had a real GM in Casserly and by definition and practical purposes Nick Caserio was a real GM in 2021.
And still the McNair's put restrictions on what they could do within their job titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB

Texian

Hall of Fame
Do you think Culley was a Caserio hire? Smelled of Easterby, to me.
Well to answer your question, I believe that Culley was a Caserio hire that was highly influenced by Jack Easterby. This only reinforces my opinion that Caserio was not prepared or really knew what he was doing as the GM.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well to answer your question, I believe that Culley was a Caserio hire that was highly influenced by Jack Easterby. This only reinforces my opinion that Caserio was not prepared or really knew what he was doing as the GM.
Shocking,

What GM has hired the HC while with the Texans.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Typically a good way to convince people of your side of things is to provide some sort of evidence or source. Note that this does not include the personal guesses of someone with no actual insight into the organization. Is there any kind of source for this that you’ve provided and I’ve missed? If there is that would likely go a long way towards convincing people
It's called paying attention and following the timeline. AKA common sense and logic. Objective thinking without bias or only believing what you want to believe or want to happen.

Examples
Easterby goes to Boston to attend Patriots ring ceremony. Spends the evening sitting next to Caserio. Returns to Houston the next day and fires GM Brian Gaine because Texans plan to hire Caserio as the new GM. Now how do you come to this reasonable conclusion? The Patriots filed tampering charges against the Texans for trying to hire Caserio.

Another case where you are unsure is Caserio being in control of the process of hiring his 2nd HC. Why do we know Caserio was in charge? Because he told us he was, which you would know if you had been paying attention. After going through and repeating a 2nd circus of hiring a head coach and Gannon withdrawing his name from consideration putting the Texans back at square one, it was Cal, not Nick who released the news a day later that Lovie was his new HC. A few days later Lovie says Nick will not be in the coaches box wearing headphones on gameday. After RD 1, Caserio tells the press that Lovie and coaches were going back and forth right up until the pick on which players to draft and selections could have gone in a different way and Lovie would've been OK with that. So Nick just told you it's Lovie and his coaches who are making the draft picks, not Nick. Then there is the picture of Lovie and Nick hugging. We learned later that was a result of Lovie wanting to move up to draft the LB Harris who Lovie coveted and Nick was able to make the trade for Lovie to get his guy. Now if you're drinking a lot of Kool-Aid and are a member in good standing of the Kool-Aid Brigade then none of this will probably make any sense to you and you will continue to post a bunch of uninformed nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: JB

Doc108

Waterboy
It's called paying attention and following the timeline. AKA common sense and logic. Objective thinking without bias or only believing what you want to believe or want to happen.

Examples
Easterby goes to Boston to attend Patriots ring ceremony. Spends the evening sitting next to Caserio. Returns to Houston the next day and fires GM Brian Gaine because Texans plan to hire Caserio as the new GM. Now how do you come to this reasonable conclusion? The Patriots filed tampering charges against the Texans for trying to hire Caserio.

Another case where you are unsure is Caserio being in control of the process of hiring his 2nd HC. Why do we know Caserio was in charge? Because he told us he was, which you would know if you had been paying attention. After going through and repeating a 2nd circus of hiring a head coach and Gannon withdrawing his name from consideration putting the Texans back at square one, it was Cal, not Nick who released the news a day later that Lovie was his new HC. A few days later Lovie says Nick will not be in the coaches box wearing headphones on gameday. After RD 1, Caserio tells the press that Lovie and coaches were going back and forth right up until the pick on which players to draft and selections could have gone in a different way and Lovie would've been OK with that. So Nick just told you it's Lovie and his coaches who are making the draft picks, not Nick. Then there is the picture of Lovie and Nick hugging. We learned later that was a result of Lovie wanting to move up to draft the LB Harris who Lovie coveted and Nick was able to make the trade for Lovie to get his guy. Now if you're drinking a lot of Kool-Aid and are a member in good standing of the Kool-Aid Brigade then none of this will probably make any sense to you and you will continue to post a bunch of uninformed nonsense.
Man that was a ton of writing to just say “no I’m doing the next best thing to blind speculation”. It’s reasonable to have an opinion it’s not reasonable to be so sure of your opinion with so little to actually back it up.

Also your attempt at writing off those who disagree using ad hominem is admirable you should be a politician.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Could the team get away with firing Lovie and naming Mc Cown as interim HC? Not PC enough?

I think Mc Cown could help Mills better than anyone on this staff.

Take a look at him the same way we are looking at every player who hits the w w.

What the hell we got to lose, other than our present loser h c.
I'm tired of the chit these coaches are trotting out there. Disgusting!! I don't believe our players are that sorry.

:coffee:

Could the team get away with firing Lovie and naming Mc Cown as interim HC? Not PC enough?

I think Mc Cown could help Mills better than anyone on this staff.

Take a look at him the same way we are looking at every player who hits the w w.

What the hell we got to lose, other than our present loser h c.
I'm tired of the chit these coaches are trotting out there. Disgusting!! I don't believe our players are that sorry.

:coffee:
If Lovie's contract is the reported 5yrs/$25M, that would be another big chunk of mismanaged $$$ if he is fired during or after 1 season.

So what? It's not our money and doesn't count against the cap. McNair is a billionaire, a few lousy million ain't no thang
Of course it's not against the cap, if Lovie is let go this year do you think $47M in 2 years is something that wouldn't be looked at by Cal? That reason alone could keep Lovie around longer than he should. But if they did let him go, I definitely wouldn't be mad.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Of course it's not against the cap, if Lovie is let go this year do you think $47M in 2 years is something that wouldn't be looked at by Cal? That reason alone could keep Lovie around longer than he should. But if they did let him go, I definitely wouldn't be mad.
wouldn't be looked at by Cal? Cal is the one that would be making the decision to spend the money

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It’s all about perspective. Cut him loose, waste $25M

keep him & waste $25M & the $187M or whatever the cap is now

Texian

Hall of Fame
Culley netted 22 million for one years work, Lovie would be 25 million if fired after one, that’s 47 million paid to head coaches for two years.
O'Brien was under contract with the Texans til 2022, so it's probably closer to $60 million. I don't see how Cal fires Lovie without firing Caserio so that would be another $24MM. IMO I think Cal sits tight for another year to keep from flushing another $50mm down the toilet. Cal has been thru 2 years of HC search FUBARS. I don't think he's ready to go back-to-back-to-back.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
O'Brien was under contract with the Texans til 2022, so it's probably closer to $60 million. I don't see how Cal fires Lovie without firing Caserio so that would be another $24MM. IMO I think Cal sits tight for another year to keep from flushing another $50mm down the toilet. Cal has been thru 2 years of HC search FUBARS. I don't think he's ready to go back-to-back-to-back.
Cal is his own worst enemy
:texans:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Which is pretty much pocket change to people worth over 5 billion dollars.
I keep hearing people say 5 billion dollars and it's only $50 million but it's not against the cap. When all is said and done a team in a good year probably makes $50MM to $100MM a year. If constantly flushing $50mm a year down the toilet, they are not making that much if not losing some money.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I keep hearing people say 5 billion dollars and it's only $50 million but it's not against the cap. When all is said and done a team in a good year probably makes $50MM to $100MM a year. If constantly flushing $50mm a year down the toilet, they are not making that much if not losing some money.
That is the Packers revenue for the period of 4/21-3/22. Not a great year league wide I don't think. According to Forbes the Packers are the 16th most valuable franchise with an operating income of $138M
Texans are the 11th most valuable franchise with an operating income of $211.5M

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If Lovie's contract is the reported 5yrs/$25M, that would be another big chunk of mismanaged $$$ if he is fired during or after 1 season.
Another Cal screw up.

This is just the price for incompetence. Who hires a HC that's 64 yrs old and gives him a 5 yr deal, particularly when his last 2 stops he was awful at. (Tampa/Illinois)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Culley netted 22 million for one years work, Lovie would be 25 million if fired after one, that’s 47 million paid to head coaches for two years.
I see you're good at math. LOL

Your post is most likely why Lovie will be here next yr. I wonder how much of the 25 mil is guaranteed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The 3rd option is to bump him upstairs and keep him in the organization. I hear the Executive Vice President of Football Operations is open and doesn't require any experience.
Lovie is a religious man.

He would be a great fit in this org.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Culley yes, Lovie no.
Makes no sense to me? You just hired Caserio, you were willing to wait out the reign of King Bill, as he dismantled roster, just to get Nick, pay him 6 year deal, then pull the rug from under him only one year in for a Culley hire, from a losing College Football program just to hand over decision making to LS? This just gets weirder and weirder 🤡