Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I like this mind set of a very physical team, it causes QBS and teams to be very gun shy because they can't afford to get hurt. Plus fact is most franchise QBs are use to being completely protected and tend to get thrown when they get tackled or pressured alot. With a lot of vets like Brees, Brady and Big Ben retiring you'll have a lot of young guns that may not be use to having 300 lb gorillas charging at them every play. Should be fun to watch.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I like this mind set of a very physical team, it causes QBS and teams to be very gun shy because they can't afford to get hurt. Plus fact is most franchise QBs are use to being completely protected and tend to get thrown when they get tackled or pressured alot. With a lot of vets like Brees, Brady and Big Ben retiring you'll have a lot of young guns that may not be use to having 300 lb gorillas charging at them every play. Should be fun to watch.
After 50 yrs, I'm still waiting for the 1st HC to say he's looking to build a slow/finesse team. I suspect I will never see this.

What I want a GM/HC to say is we're going to draft and sign in FA the best players possible and short of murder/sexual assaults, character will be secondary to talent level of said players.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
After 50 yrs, I'm still waiting for the 1st HC to say he's looking to build a slow/finesse team. I suspect I will never see this.

What I want a GM/HC to say is we're going to draft and sign in FA the best players possible and short of murder/sexual assaults, character will be secondary to talent level of said players.
Yes because so many GM/HC are out there saying "No we don't want the best players possible and we don't care how they play as long as they have good character."

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes but Schaub isn’t on the team any more so no clue why you keep quoting him.
The philosophy has always been long before Schaub and will remain until Janice takes a dirt nap.aybe even longer.

This is one reason I find the Calhoun's current situation with Derrick to be quite entertaining. Watching greedy sanctimonious billionaires having to twist in the wind over a Sexual Predator when they have avoided improving the team because they value morality ( As if they can pass judgement on this) over talent is freaking hilarious.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Lovie is letting Pep install the offense and Pep has a history of a version of the WCO.
It has also been commented on that he also has a history in the power run Air Coryell offense. Combine this with comments from Lovie as well as other members of the coaching staff that they want a physical run game, there is speculation that this will be the direction the offense takes. Plus, Mills seems to be a perfect fit for this offense.

frethack

Rookie
It has also been commented on that he also has a history in the power run Air Coryell offense. Combine this with comments from Lovie as well as other members of the coaching staff that they want a physical run game, there is speculation that this will be the direction the offense takes. Plus, Mills seems to be a perfect fit for this offense.
And Pep is ideally suited to help Mills translate the EP terminology of the past to whatever we use next. I'm interested to see how it works out. My only concern is abandoning the run (a la the Luck Era Colts) if we don't have a respectable run game again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Number19

Hall of Fame
And Pep is ideally suited to help Mills translate the EP terminology of the past to whatever we use next. I'm interested to see how it works out. My only concern is abandoning the run (a la the Luck Era Colts) if we don't have a respectable run game again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I really have no concern about our run game. It will be much improved over last year. The Texans will be drafting a RB and OL'men. If there is a concern, it would be the inexperience of the new-built line. We might have 3 rookies starting, or if Morrissey starts, he'll be on his second year. Air Coryell depends on a strong inside run game, so we'll see two OG's taken in the draft, who should be starting right away.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I really have no concern about our run game. It will be much improved over last year. The Texans will be drafting a RB and OL'men. If there is a concern, it would be the inexperience of the new-built line. We might have 3 rookies starting, or if Morrissey starts, he'll be on his second year. Air Coryell depends on a strong inside run game, so we'll see two OG's taken in the draft, who should be starting right away.
Ikem and Tyler Smith would go a long way to providing the offense with a power run game.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Lovie is probably a good coach. No doubt. I think I’ve mentioned it before, I’m ok with him “coaching guys up” but I want a coach that will chew a fool out when he doesn’t do his job. And continue to coach em up.

I think Lovie knows he’s a place holder
Lovie is a good defensive coach, but his system is outdated and not effective anymore.

He is a terrible head coach. Always has been

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Speaking of game plans.

Do any of you know what the hell the Texans were attempting to do?

What phase of the Chargers offensive game did we attempt to "take away".

Is it too late? Will Spurrier come in and give Pep a few lessons on offensive play design/calling?

Fire the Defensive Coordinator before Pitre and Stingley "get coached" up beyond repair.

That's a start.

Or will we be forced to just sit back and accept the status quo?

Why do we always need to do more "next year".

This coach makes Hugh 'Bones' Taylor look like a G.O.A.T. coach.

Our players are not dregs. They are better than what they are being allowed to be.

PC coaching sucks! 0-3-1. Does anyone here really think Josh McCown would have done worse? I'd bet my SS check that he wouldn't have played for the tie.

Now for the good parts.

:coffee:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't know how you can type this with a straight pen...
Who is better? Who would be starting on another team?
Cooks, Tunsil,Green, M. Collins, Greenard, Pitre/Stingley, Nelson.

8 starters on playoff teams. Hopefully we can add Harris and Metchie to this list. So they've gotta add 6-7 guys in the draft and fa next year and finish out the rebuild with the QB and hopefully a couple of more starters in 2024.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
GM needs to go too and start over
Not just yet. He didn't do to bad on his first real draft. He should definitely get a chance to continue IMO.

Lovie isn't going anywhere. The McNairs are not firing another 1 year coach after the Culley debacle.

Embrace the suck, because hope is futile at this point.
I think Lovie will be here next year, but after that and another (hopefully) decent draft this team should get to the 7-8 win range next season or Lovie isn't cutting it.

This year is BS, like the one before it and the one before that. If they can't manage to get their sh!t together for a 7 to 8 win season next year then whatever the plan is, isn't working.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Not just yet. He didn't do to bad on his first real draft. He should definitely get a chance to continue IMO.

I think Lovie will be here next year, but after that and another (hopefully) decent draft this team should get to the 7-8 win range next season or Lovie isn't cutting it.

This year is BS, like the one before it and the one before that. If they can't manage to get their sh!t together for a 7 to 8 win season next year then whatever the plan is, isn't working.
So 2 head coaches and the and the gm gets a 3rd. That's new

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

The NFL is evolving quickly, and hiring old coaches with conservative perspectives using outdated schemes is a sign of clueless ownership. It's been the McNair family's M.O. for two decades.

I see absolutely nothing in the McNairs that would lead me to believe that they will ever be anything but Johnny-come-lately owners that simply cannot conceive a vision that would include young, bold, and innovative leadership in their head coaching position.

I ain't even upset about it. It is what it is. If I want to watch good, competent football, I watch just about anything else that does not involve the Houston Texans.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
So 2 head coaches and the and the gm gets a 3rd. That's new
If he is better than good at drafting and picking up FA players, which is should be the main focus of his job, you don’t fire him because of the coaching thing. Especially when one coach was to stay out of lawsuit and the other was a place holder for a job no one wanted.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
The NFL is evolving quickly, and hiring old coaches with conservative perspectives using outdated schemes is a sign of clueless ownership. It's been the McNair family's M.O. for two decades.

I see absolutely nothing in the McNairs that would lead me to believe that they will ever be anything but Johnny-come-lately owners that simply cannot conceive a vision that would include young, bold, and innovative leadership in their head coaching position.

I ain't even upset about it. It is what it is. If I want to watch good, competent football, I watch just about anything else that does not involve the Houston Texans.
The McNairs hired the safe pick the first time with Capers. The second was an offensive coordinator that was due for the position with having two super Bowl wins. The third was the hottest name out there at the time. The last two were because of Watson and Flores. I don’t think that fits the description you are painting.

If you want that “young, bold, and innovative leadership in their head coaching position” then you don’t need to look any further than Josh McCown. That sounds a lot like what they were trying to do.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Cooks, Tunsil,Green, M. Collins, Greenard, Pitre/Stingley, Nelson.

8 starters on playoff teams. Hopefully we can add Harris and Metchie to this list. So they've gotta add 6-7 guys in the draft and fa next year and finish out the rebuild with the QB and hopefully a couple of more starters in 2024.
So 8 of 22 by your estimation... 36% are starters on any team? I doubt that Collins, Greenard, Nelson are more than depth pieces. At this point Cooks is a WR3 maybe. Point is this team is devoid of talent for all intents and purposes. It's better than it was last year and hopefully will be better next year. The coaches are failing but I don't know that they are holding the players down

Thorn

Dirty Old Man

The ownership of this team has definitely proven itself to be clueless, I don't think anybody would argue that point. And that isn't going to change anytime soon.

But lets just say Caserio continues to draft well, they could have a talented team in a few years. Lovie probably wouldn't be around to coach it though. And the Texans history of HC hirings should scare anyone. But, they could accidently luck into a good HC as random events do occur in the universe.

Reactions: JB

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Let's not forget that Lovie was the emergency desperation hire after another botched head coaching search. He wasn't supposed to be the guy. And I don't think he will be once the rebuild launches .... if it ever does.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So 8 of 22 by your estimation... 36% are starters on any team? I doubt that Collins, Greenard, Nelson are more than depth pieces. At this point Cooks is a WR3 maybe. Point is this team is devoid of talent for all intents and purposes. It's better than it was last year and hopefully will be better next year. The coaches are failing but I don't know that they are holding the players down
8 out of 22 seems about right.

The coaching has been below par. But Lovie/Caserio added some upper level talent in those drafts and I expect them to add even more in the 2023 draft.