Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Hey

Hey man I'm willing to admit I'm wrong. Being a fan I hoped times were changing. Calhoun is nothing but a worse version of his daddy. Must be some of the best inbreds the South Carolina has to offer.

This franchise has had way to many of the South Carolina trash from ownership down for far to long. Time to clear the decks.
And the preacher man is from South Carolina as well. Now it all it makes sense - sort of.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
In classic Texans fashion they gave me what I wanted in the way I didn’t want it. I wanted Lovie to stay as DC and have full control of the defense. I didn’t want him as HC because I think he is best as DC. So the only way to get what I wanted was to also give me what I didn’t want.

Oh well, pass the kool aid and let’s play football. Just don’t expect me to spend any money on the team.

Max

Veteran
Can anyone explain how the Texans put themselves in the stupidest possible position of naming Flores as one of the finalists after his lawsuit against the NFL? And then one upped the stupid by naming the other finalist as a white dude with no experience. Has this situation not confirmed that the team is being run by idiots? How is it possible to deny this at this point? You literally couldn't dream up a more stupid position that an organization could put themselves in.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Dang, Forgot about that.

It’s like all of our star players leave with a bad taste in their mouth and sour words about the team.

Well, except Cushing since they stood by him during his pregnancy. Heard he’s due any day now.
Seriously whatever happened to Cushing ? I've googled him once or twice since he left the Texans since he was released after O'Brien left, and found nothing of his where abouts. Maybe he's living someplace back in his Jersey home area these days ?
But I expect being somebodys HC is in DeMeco Ryans future.

The question is....... can his beard draft good players? TBH this has been one of the better news in for the texans franchise since Watson stuck his finger in people butts!
57474674.gif

Seriously whatever happened to Cushing ? I've googled him once or twice since he left the Texans since he was released after O'Brien left, and found nothing of his where abouts. Maybe he's living someplace back in his Jersey home area these days ?
He was the weight and conditioning coach for the Texans like 2 years ago when Fuller and another player got their PDE suspensions.

Don't know if he is still around or fired.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He was the weight and conditioning coach for the Texans like 2 years ago when Fuller and another player got their PDE suspensions.

Don't know if he is still around or fired.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
He's taken a break and is busy with his 1 year-old (Jan 12) and the rest of his family.

1644414154835.png

1644414238341.png

Mariotexan

Practice Squad
Nick gave me the impression that he was looking for the next young Mike Tomlin. He referenced Mike when beginning his coaching search. I was excited, I mean at least Mike had some NFL coaching experience and your main choice was Josh Mccown. I hope I never hear Josh’s name come up as a candidate for head coach job unless he pays his dues like any other head coaching candidates. I don’t dislike Lovie but it’s obvious that they messed up and I guess no one really wanted to interview with us?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Hey

Hey man I'm willing to admit I'm wrong. Being a fan I hoped times were changing. Calhoun is nothing but a worse version of his daddy. Must be some of the best inbreds the South Carolina has to offer.

This franchise has had way to many of the South Carolina trash from ownership down for far to long. Time to clear the decks.
Josh McCown was the guy, was going to be the guy. The Brian Flores lawsuit put the kabash on that. There was no way they could hire the white guy with no experience after the lawsuit dropped. Texans were getting an earful from every direction. Nothing would give the Flores lawsuit against the NFL more gasoline than the Texans hiring Josh McCown. Especially after the Texans were mentioned in the lawsuit. The NFL lawyers got to Cal (apparently Sunday evening) and convinced him the Texans could not do this now.

I watched the entire Lovie Smith press conference. Nick Caserio really made everything about him. Embarrassingly so. He really is a narcissist of the highest order. It is far worse in 2022 than it was in 2021. Funny to watch him do minutes of me and I, and then say there is no I in team. Caserio reminds me of a person who runs around like a chicken with its head cut off, busy as heck and never accomplishes anything. He's very good at the rhetoric and word salad but there is never any real substance and meaning in anything he says.

Last year I said Caserio would create a worse situation in Houston that Scott Pioli did in KC. According to several ex-players this appears to be case. Stalag 2 NRG surpasses anything Pioli did in Kansas City.
Culture of fear and secrecy permeates Kansas City Chiefs, employees say | The Star

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Josh McCown was the guy, was going to be the guy. The Brian Flores lawsuit put the kabash on that. There was no way they could hire the white guy with no experience after the lawsuit dropped. Texans were getting an earful from every direction. Nothing would give the Flores lawsuit against the NFL more gasoline than the Texans hiring Josh McCown. Especially after the Texans were mentioned in the lawsuit. The NFL lawyers got to Cal (apparently Sunday evening) and convinced him the Texans could not do this now.

I watched the entire Lovie Smith press conference. Nick Caserio really made everything about him. Embarrassingly so. He really is a narcissist of the highest order. It is far worse in 2022 than it was in 2021. Funny to watch him do minutes of me and I, and then say there is no I in team. Caserio reminds me of a person who runs around like a chicken with its head cut off, busy as heck and never accomplishes anything. He's very good at the rhetoric and word salad but there is never any real substance and meaning in anything he says.

Last year I said Caserio would create a worse situation in Houston that Scott Pioli did in KC. According to several ex-players this appears to be case. Stalag 2 NRG surpasses anything Pioli did in Kansas City.
Culture of fear and secrecy permeates Kansas City Chiefs, employees say | The Star
We see Caserio differently.

You're right in how things will probably turn out. Because Calhoun wont let the guy he hired to run football opps even hire the HC he wants. Dysfunction at it's finest. Nothing has changed down on Kirby.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
We see Caserio differently.
Did you listen to entire press conference? How many times did he say "I"? It's about me? Not sure how you could listen to that press conference and still take up residence in the File Clerk's jock strap? :) This is comedy TK.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Did you listen to entire press conference? How many times did he say "I"? It's about me? Not sure how you could listen to that press conference and still take up residence in the File Clerk's jock strap? :) This is comedy TK.
Nope

Doesn't bother me though

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
You're upset because Cal didn't let him hire McCown?
I'm confused by that to. I get the idea of hiring someone and then letting them do their job but that doesn't mean you give them complete free reign. If Caserio couldn't sell Cal on McCown being a good idea then if I'm Cal I would be wondering how the hell he's going to sell tickets based on it being a good idea. You add the Flores lawsuit and I don't blame Cal a bit for pumping the breaks.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I believe Steel is talking about Gannon…hope I’m right in assuming Steel?
McCown was 1st choice. Gannon was 2nd. Cal said no to McCown, then said no to Gannon. Basically I'm asking how can you be upset Cal didn't allow Nick to hire Gannon if you're OK with Cal shutting down McCown.

Nick has been selling his "process" for over a year now. That process includes being actively selective in coordinator & position coach hiring. He's been advocating Josh McCown overseeing Lovie & Pep (we've been led to believe) as the right structure to win games.

The law suit threw a monkey wrench in that plan. I get that. So the next logical thing to do is to get someone "qualified" to put over Lovie & Pep. Gannon didn't want to do that.

Now you can either compromise & let Lovie go. But that's drastically different from the plan you worked towards for an entire year.

Or you do without the ceremonial figure head (which is really Nick's avatar) & go forward with Lovie & Pep.

To me it sounds like Cal holding Caserio closer to the "plan" he sold that led to Cal signing a $22M check for a guy to coach his team for 1 year.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Great looking family, thanks for the pic Doc, but where the hell is Cushing living these days ? Is he still living in Houston, or now in another part of the country and
is he coaching someplace, what's he doing with his time ?
He is living in Missouri City. He is not coaching. With ~$60 million, he has turned his attention to investments in which he is involved.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Nick has been selling his "process" for over a year now. That process includes being actively selective in coordinator & position coach hiring. He's been advocating Josh McCown overseeing Lovie & Pep (we've been led to believe) as the right structure to win games.
I don't think Caserio would have had a problem kicking Lovie and Pep to the curb. It was Cal that had the affection for Lovie, which ultimately quashed the Gannon hiring. McCown would have had no problem with either Lovie or Pep. Or anyone Nick had come up with, for that matter.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It was Cal that had the affection for Lovie, which ultimately quashed the Gannon hiring. McCown would have had no problem with either Lovie or Pep.
That's what I'm saying. I don't think it matters to Cal who the defensive coordinator is, or the offensive coordinator is.

But Nick convinced him now was the time to give Culley $22M & put McCown over Lovie & Pep. I admit there's a lot of "imagination" on my part where Caserio pumped up Pep & Lovie as part of the package that will help McCown be a successful HC.

Then Caserio tries to convince McNair that Gannon could be that guy. But Gannon wants to remove a major factor Nick sold as important & beneficial to the success of the Texans.

I don't think this is McNair overruling Nick as much as McNair keeping Caserio on the track he laid.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You're upset because Cal didn't let him hire McCown?
I dont think he wanted to hire McCown. I think he wanted to hire Gannon. But if he's running the football opps side like Calhoun said he was then if he wanted to hire McCown he should've been allowed to hire his guy and if McCown failed everybody gets fired and you move on.

What Calhoun did is just another extension of what his daddy did. Which is he will tell Caserio, you've got full control then when he wants to do something Calhoun will step in just like his daddy did and say you've got full control except for this. I hate this kind of mgmt style. It leads to the Os type of mistakes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's what I'm saying. I don't think it matters to Cal who the defensive coordinator is, or the offensive coordinator is.

But Nick convinced him now was the time to give Culley $22M & put McCown over Lovie & Pep. I admit there's a lot of "imagination" on my part where Caserio pumped up Pep & Lovie as part of the package that will help McCown be a successful HC.

Then Caserio tries to convince McNair that Gannon could be that guy. But Gannon wants to remove a major factor Nick sold as important & beneficial to the success of the Texans.

I don't think this is McNair overruling Nick as much as McNair keeping Caserio on the track he laid.
If you hire a guy to do a job, then you let him do his job. Very simple.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.

The me, myself, and I is purely intentional. Yes, the focus of the day was Lovie. Aside from that Caserio wanted the light because they want as little attention on Cal, Easterby, and Watson as possible.

Just maneuvering.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What Calhoun did is just another extension of what his daddy did. Which is he will tell Caserio, you've got full control then when he wants to do something Calhoun will step in just like his daddy did and say you've got full control except for this. I hate this kind of mgmt style. It leads to the Os type of mistakes.
I understand & agree with the gist of what you're saying. But, I don't understand why you believe McNair has any feelings whatsoever about Lovie other than what Nick told him in the 1st place.

I don't think McNair said, "I really like Lovie, make him the HC."

I think it was more, "Firing Lovie doesn't fit with the 'it's the right time to fire Culley' plan. I'm not signing off on this, come up with something else. Something that fits with the plan you sold me 4 weeks ago."

Then Nick came up with the promoting Lovie plan & McNair approved it.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Lovie was the safe play. He actually accomplished a lot more with a defense barren of talent then I thought he would. And not promoting him meant they'd risk losing one of the few coaches they had with name recognition.

(Imo) The Texans didn't get to pick who they wanted this year. The coaching candidates picked the Team THEY wanted and we were not on the list.

Gannon who?
McCown really?

This team was already catching hell for rumors of McCown. Just mear rumors. When the Flores fiasco kicked off he was automatically off the list and it cemented McCown out of the race. The Texans pivoted and made the best they could of a bad scenario.

I actually think Lovie and Pep were probably better then anything else we could've got. That said, he's still on a short 2-3 year leash.

I know a lot folks say last year was a throw away season because of the Watson drama and I agree. Unfortunately, this year may be as well. Until that's done we're in limbo. In the meantime:

-establish a new identity
-draft well (I'm almost always in favor of trading back and getting as much rookie talent as possible cheap.)
-manage the cap so we have a windfall of $ available in 23 and 24

Right now this franchise has footlong fingernails and is pissing in Mason jars. This team has lost a lot of the fan base. Let's fix that.

Texian

Hall of Fame
The me, myself, and I is purely intentional. Yes, the focus of the day was Lovie. Aside from that Caserio wanted the light because they want as little attention on Cal, Easterby, and Watson as possible.

Just maneuvering.
I knew there was a lot of lying going on in the press conference. If the maneuvering is true, it wouldn't surprise me. It would fit right in with all of the rest of the deceit and dishonesty that was going on.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He is living in Missouri City. He is not coaching. With ~$60 million, he has turned his attention to investments in which he is involved.
Well Doc you too of course are in that tax bracket but you've also got your day job, your professional career in medicine.
That's what I'm wondering about with Cushing because he's a young man, a very young man who should be into another career by now after football
unless he's invested in something like a franchise or dealership which requires in addition to a financial commitment his personal attention and managerial efforts.

Dejaview

All Pro
Well Doc you too of course are in that tax bracket but you've also got your day job, your professional career in medicine.
That's what I'm wondering about with Cushing because he's a young man, a very young man who should be into another career by now after football
unless he's invested in something like a franchise or dealership which requires in addition to a financial commitment his personal attention and managerial efforts.
If I had $60mm I sure as hell wouldn’t live in Missouri City.

Dejaview

All Pro

Not sure I’m buying any of these intrigues promoted on the MB So far. Both Smith and NC have indicated they’ve had discussions throughout the search. Being an insider he just was following an internal path Under the radar. Furthermore Lovie seems to have full ability to hire his position coaches, call his defensive plays, etc. Seems to me like someone with the full respect of the FO. And if Flores thinks he didnt get the Texans job because he is black then he needs to understand what equality really means….it means you may not be the best guy for the job.