Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

For the record, Corrosion didn't mentioned Easterby either way. I don't know what his connection to the Texans is - perhaps he knows a FO employee, because his takes have a certainty to them.

But there's no way in hell McCown gets 3 interviews without Easterby. Name the other team that has interviewed him for anything. Name his qualifications without saying he played QB. Because if playing QB is the qualifier, we should be on the phone with Schaub, Brady, Big Ben, Yates, and a whole slew of others.
Well now, I wouldn't exactly be against them calling Brady to interview for the OC or QB coach position. I really think that is all McCown is in consideration for.

But there's no way in hell McCown gets 3 interviews without Easterby. Name the other team that has interviewed him for anything. Name his qualifications without saying he played QB. Because if playing QB is the qualifier, we should be on the phone with Schaub, Brady, Big Ben, Yates, and a whole slew of others.

The only reason it is known he interviewed here is bascially b/c it was announced; There's clearly been a concerted effort on their part to be more transparent with the fan base after what many here called a "sham search" when we hired Caserio. But truthfully noone knows how often these types of convos happen around the league. Furthermore, from what i remember reading, his reported 1st interview, they offered him an assistant position, NOT HC....and he declined.

Gannon was going to be announced today. That may have been on hold because of the Flores lawsuit.

Unsure yet if McCown comes along or Pep stays or Gannon interviews KOC for offensive side.
Is this a wishful thinking kinda thing or do you have an insider source thingy goin' on, cause this would sure make my day!

The only reason it is known he interviewed here is bascially b/c it was announced; There's clearly been a concerted effort on their part to be more transparent with the fan base after what many here called a "sham search" when we hired Caserio. But truthfully noone knows how often these types of convos happen around the league. Furthermore, from what i remember reading, his reported 1st interview, they offered him an assistant position, NOT HC....and he declined.

Because (according to Corrosion) Cal wouldn't sign off on McCown as HC last year. I mean this idea that he's really only being interviewed for some asst coach spot doesn't comport at all with the record. You should look into Washington DC because you know how to spin.

For the record, Corrosion didn't mentioned Easterby either way. I don't know what his connection to the Texans is - perhaps he knows a FO employee, because his takes have a certainty to them.

According to comments on 610, McCown has had at least two opportunities to coach, made while he was still playing. Not interviews, but just "offers of a position", which he refused because he still wanted to play. He's only been out of football for one year. He refused the Texans offer because he wanted to take a year off to be with his family. And he's derided for this decision. Now that he's made it clear he's ready to get back into football as a coach, it remains to be seen how soon he begins to get interviews or offers.

At least you admit to the blackened soul :splits:

I embrace it. It's good inspiration for writing my heavy metal tunes. :headbang:

It hasn't happened yet because Cal is reluctant to make the hire. Caserio & Janice love some McCown.

Gameboy is the voice of reason in the Texans sea of insanity.

If true, good to hear. Tommy Boy had a happy ending, too, iirc.

Jack could be fired today and nothing would change with this franchise going forward.

Jack is irrelevant as I've said all along. He's just an easy target to blame for all the problems this team has had.

Regardless of his "actual power" in the building, the public perception is very simple: His employment and position is indicative of meddling and incompetent ownership and he was given a high profile executive job with an NFL franchise with no discernible qualifications.

And that public perception is only going to get worse if they give the HC job to a backup QB that has never paid his dues as an NFL coach at any level. His prayer group connection to Easterby will only strengthen that perception, right or wrong.

And public perception matters to an entertainment company that is trying to sell a product and merch, regardless if it is substantiated or not.

All these leaks to Aaron Wilson go right back to this FO. What exactly IS Easterby's job? You tell me since you seem to know so much.

According to the Houston Texans website: Easterby manages all football operations and directs the overall culture of the organization.

WTF all that of that corporate speak actually means is anyone's guess, but it's is mind-boggling naive/oblivious/denial that anyone believes that he has absolutely no influence within the organization considering the known history of their boardroom mentality for the last two decades.

He's there for a reason, but as always, the Texans duplicity has been well established to keep the narrative they are trying to market to their customer base. They send Nick out there to deflect, and like a good GM, he says what the bosses need him to say so he can try to run a franchise.

WTF all that of that corporate speak actually means is anyone's guess, but it's is mind-boggling naive/oblivious/denial that anyone believes that he has absolutely no influence within the organization considering the known history of their boardroom mentality for the last two decades.
The bolded is the part that gets me. This is the way this group does business. Always has been, always will be. With or without Easterby.

I don't understand how posters on this board who know, can think Easterby is the driving force behind this. Easterby is a sprag that fit their machine. Not the other way around.

The bolded is the part that gets me. This is the way this group does business. Always has been, always will be. With or without Easterby.

I don't understand how posters on this board who know, can think Easterby is the driving force behind this. Easterby is a sprag that fit their machine. Not the other way around.

I like to poke fun of the guy, mainly because I think he's fake and I just don't like him.

But I don't think he's the driving force. That would be, as always, the McNairs.

That said, it's sort of like piss in your beer. Just one drop ruins it, so his one drop of pee at the boardroom is enough to concern some fans simply because he's not trusted and has absolutely zero credibility with running a football team or evaluating coaching hires and talent.

But, maybe he's just there to whisper sweet nothings to Janice and rub her bunions. I could see why they would not let that get out.

According to the Houston Texans website: Easterby manages all football operations and directs the overall culture of the organization.

I think the big thing here is the title...People are hung up on the title & it has them thinking that his role with the actual players & team is perhaps bigger than what it actually is. In our world the VP title means a whole lot more (not really). As far as the job description...That could literally mean a whole broad range of things. He could in fact have real say and pull like everyone fears...but I doubt it and take the word "operations" to mean things going on with the actuall football facility and logistical workings of the team and things like that. Dude could just be the guy charged with taking care of NRG stadium and everything that goes into making sure that that facility and everyone in it is on point....which im sure is a massive endeavor in itself. He could just be the guy that handles the little things NC doesn't want to waste time on like scheduling flights and creating itenaries for road trips etc.... May have very little to do with or literally nothing to do with the football team itself outside of some other extraneous stuff unrelated to actual personnel and the decisions around that personnel.

At some point I was supposed to answer a response about these three persons and why the Texans didn't contact

Daboll- the Texans were connected to him last year.
Jim Harbaugh -He has one top 10 coaching jobs in college. He is only going to a situation that he wants.
d. Ryans- Vikings were the only one that I can find who interviewed him.

I think the big thing here is the title...People are hung up on the title & it has them thinking that his role with the actual players & team is perhaps bigger than what it actually is. In our world the VP title means a whole lot more (not really). As far as the job description...That could literally mean a whole broad range of things. He could in fact have real say and pull like everyone fears...but I doubt it and take the word "operations" to mean things going on with the actuall football facility and logistical workings of the team and things like that. Dude could just be the guy charged with taking care of NRG stadium and everything that goes into making sure that that facility and everyone in it is on point....which im sure is a massive endeavor in itself. He could just be the guy that handles the little things NC doesn't want to waste time on like scheduling flights and creating itenaries for road trips etc.... May have very little to do with or literally nothing to do with the football team itself outside of some other extraneous stuff unrelated to actual personnel and the decisions around that personnel.

You may be right. I don't have any insider access so I'm solely speaking about the optics and public perception of the situation.

We do know that he was a guy that was very influential in the power structure just a year and a half ago. That's not disputed.

What has happened since then is a mystery, but I hope that you can at least admit that you can understand why fans perceive things even if you don't agree with them.

Their focus on "culture" and making that focus part of Easterby's job description as a front office executive certainly plays into that perception, as well.

You may be right. I don't have any insider access so I'm solely speaking about the optics and public perception of the situation.

We do know that he was a guy that was very influential in the power structure just a year and a half ago. That's not disputed.

What has happened since then is a mystery, but I hope that you can at least admit that you can understand why fans perceive things even if you don't agree with them.

Their focus on "culture" and making that focus part of Easterby's job description as a front office executive certainly plays into that perception, as well.

No i agree & can definitely understand why some fans see it the way they do..I just think alot of the fans' perception has been shaped by the media fanning the flames...both locally and nationally. & he's not the type to take to twitter and put folks on blast..Dude is meek.

For whatever you take his word to mean, Cal himself has come out and said that anything said about that dude was "unjustified"...Likely b/c he knows what the real deal was & knows Easterby was probably railroaded/used by others who were out for self *cough* BoB *cough*

And yeah im sure he worked closely with BoB on some recent unpopular moves..but i think the extent of his "influence" on him was probably just him being a good soldier and allowing BoB to use him as a shield to deflect some of the criticism he took for some of his unorthodox and downright wacked out moves. When BoB was finally removed from the GM/HC spot and Easterby now had FULL control as the interim guy....he did literally nothing.

So the perception doesn't really line up with what makes the most sense.

I have a corporate board/groupthink signature forever just to remind me.

Well now, I wouldn't exactly be against them calling Brady to interview for the OC or QB coach position. I really think that is all McCown is in consideration for.

I actually would be, Brady is a complete natural to whom the QB job is as easy as breathing. Those type of people rarely actually make good teachers because they can't teach what to them is just common sense. Its like a math genius showing how they arrived at an answer, yeah they might can show you how they got the answer but that doesn't mean you can get the same answer.

No. That isn’t what I said.

The point is that we have limited amount of coaches wanting to coach here. You aren’t going to get a Harbaugh or DeMeco or a Daboll.

Given the relationships between Schoem/Daboll and Ryans lawsuit then you're right. Harbaugh wants more control than Caserio is willing to give. This shouldn't reflect poorly on Caserio.

To be fair almost all major corporations talk about their culture. I work for Exxon and believe me every single meeting we hear about the culture of the company. Its become one of the new buzz words in the business world.

I wonder if Goodell has called the Texans.

"What are you doing you idiots? You cannot hire McCown. Have you seen the lawsuit? You will be proving his point!!!"

I wonder if Goodell has called the Texans.

"What are you doing you idiots? You cannot hire McCown. Have you seen the lawsuit? You will be proving his point!!!"

Goodell is not about to tell any of his bosses what they can or can't do and he certainly not about to call them idiots. People seem to forget Goodell works for and reports to the owners, including the McNairs, not the other way around. This Flores lawsuit will create a little noise in the media, give Kapernickel another chance to be on TV, and basically be TV filler for the talking heads for a couple of months then the draft will happen and its back to business as usual.

I actually would be, Brady is a complete natural to whom the QB job is as easy as breathing. Those type of people rarely actually make good teachers because they can't teach what to them is just common sense. Its like a math genius showing how they arrived at an answer, yeah they might can show you how they got the answer but that doesn't mean you can get the same answer.
It still wouldn't hurt to interview him.

I don't see Brady as a complete natural.

He was a 6th round pick because he wasn't a natural.

He didn't start his first year and wasn't expected to be on the team his second because he wasn't a natural.

He's a guy who saw his own evaluation going into the offseason and busted his ass to improve, on his arm strength, on his quickness in going through his progressions, on his reading of defenses, on his health and conditioning. He's a guy who put in the work to improve himself, and was successful at it.

I think he'd make a great QB coach and probably a very good OC.

... you hear Stanford Routt?
Yeah. Lost all respect for him & Landry & Lopez are exactly who I thought they were.

Route's acting like there are no minority owners & the owners act a certain way.

Imo, Landry & Lopez should have pointed out there is a minority owner & demanded he drop names of who in particular he believes act that certain way

They are reporting Gannon is getting it?
No, they commented that the decision on the hire was scheduled for today and that we may hear something today, but was questioning whether the Flores news might postpone the announcement. I believe most of the expectation leaned toward McCown being the choice.

No, they commented that the decision on the hire was scheduled for today and that we may hear something today, but was questioning whether the Flores news might postpone the announcement. I believe most of the expectation leaned toward McCown being the choice.

"Most of the expectation" is basically 610 speculation.
Those guys want the drama of a McCown hire so bad, they're not going to even consider any alternatives to that narrative.
The main driver, in my opinion is John Lopez. He seems to be heading more and more in the direction of being a shock jock.
Seems like he only chooses to take the more controversial stances on topics lately.

"Most of the expectation" is basically 610 speculation.
Those guys want the drama of a McCown hire so bad, they're not going to even consider any alternatives to that narrative.
The main driver, in my opinion is John Lopez. He seems to be heading more and more in the direction of being a shock jock.
Seems like he only chooses to take the more controversial stances on topics lately.
You need to filter who and what you listen to or pay attention to. Don't listen to speculation without recognizing what it is. If you listen carefully they do have some solid reporting. This doesn't mean it is necessarily accurate, but is a step above speculation. For me, it's having to listen to so much crap/speculation for the small bits I think worthwhile.

You need to filter who and what you listen to or pay attention to. Don't listen to speculation without recognizing what it is. If you listen carefully they do have some solid reporting. This doesn't mean it is necessarily accurate, but is a step above speculation. For me, it's having to listen to so much crap/speculation for the small bits I think worthwhile.

I get the privledge of listening to Seth and Sean every morning...and there's really nothing but speculation there. Sean Salisbury is a little bit better in how he just states the obvious and more common sense type stuff, but that other dude on with him with the annoying, swarmy ass voice and comments, he typically gets on my nerves and i gotta flip it. John & Lance are ok sometimes.........as long as they're not being too silly and stupid.

There's just not alot of meat on that bone...Most of these dudes just come off hoping for chaos so that they can get the Larry in Staffords to call in with idiotic takes so they can laugh and/or get their complaining on.....

I'm always wondering about this "Easterby has no influence" angle. For example. If I walk into an auto dealership to buy a convertible. The salesman recognizes that although I'm exploring a convertible, I was open minded and willing to look at other options. The salesman suggests trying out a minivan and as we test drive, he reiterates it's my decision, but gives his humble opinion and makes a compelling case for the minivan. Also, during the test drive of the convertible, when discussing the features, although he didn't bash the convertible, he was less enthusiastic in his sales pitch/opinion/comments.

I think about it and then purchase the minivan. Although it's my decision, I made the final decision and happy with my decision, did the salesman influence my decision? Especially when you consider a minivan was not even on my radar?
Then you are an uninformed buyer who made your decision based on the salesman and not on any research of your own. Not to be rude as this is just your example but you deserve what you get talked into.

The only thing I have against the McNairs at this point is being talked in
to trading Hopkins by DeShaun Watson's mother. I think Janice has come to question if not regret that decision.

On reflection I also hold it against Janice that she did not fire O'Brien sooner.

So then do you blame the salesman when you realize that the mini-van wasn't what you actually wanted? Ok lets say I agree and the salesman had an influence, so what? What caused you to want to buy the convertible in the first place? Something influenced that choice so are you sure that influence was a better one than the salesman? The Browns owner has famously said that he drafted Johnny Football on the advice of a homeless man. Does that mean the homeless man is to blame for that train wreck? What you are not factoring into premise is that everything around us influences every decision we make and it it on the person to decide if those influences are good or bad.

Saying Easterby is to blame because he influenced Cal or Caserio or Janice or whomever doesn't change the fact that ultimately is was not his decision. I've had people tell me to go jump off a building but that wasn't enough to make me do it. To many on here are acting like the McNair's are dumb people that are led around by their noses. News flash they are not, in fact even Cal is highly educated from an Ivy league. Just because we don't agree with the way they do business or their priorities does not mean that they are under some evil spell and can't make their own decisions.

I couldn't care less about Easterby but I'm getting the sense that the main reason people want him gone is in the vain hope that it will fix all the problems because they know while he can be fired the McNairs can't. Like @Corrosion said Easterby or no Easterby the McNairs will still do business the way they always have because thats who they are. Its like patching up a bullet wound without taking the bullet out, yeah you may stop the bleeding but doesn't solve the problem.
Good analogy but I think most here believe that by not removing easterby the bullet will continue to fester and eventually kill the body.

I do listen to and filter what they say. And my personal conclusion is that the majority of what I hear is speculation. Which is fine, except most of the time they frame it as fact, and don't acknowledge that it's speculation at worst, or semi-educated guesswork at best.

Back