Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

McCown's only qualification is being Jack's buddy.

No serious candidate is going to consider the Texans if the GM is hiring all the coaches, etc. Leftwich passed on the Jags because of a similar situation.

If they hire McCown just to placate Littlefinger, it proves what a poverty franchise this is.

Caserio and Littlefinger kind of come off as pro wrestlers playing a "money mark" promoter for everything they can grab. Good for them, but that always leads to an awful product.

Last edited:
Oh boy talk about insensitive people. Jokers are truly funny around these parts. The Texans end up hiring Flores, man some of these people truly colors will standout. The hate will be strong

After today I doubt Flores will ever be able to ever get any job in the NFL. However if he was named the Texans HC tomorrow my thought process wouldn't change. Not who I would hire but the safest hire out there and I would root for Flores to be successful.

Because homeboy has been a part in wrecking this franchise. This team is partly to largely in the state it is due to JE. The fact that you can't or don't see that is not my problem. It's all right there. You don't think he had any role in things like selling Hopkins for a pack of gum? Nah, he's totally blameless for the sorry state of this franchise. If you're going to clean house, sweep the trash out with it. Cal didn't do it, he's let this situation fester, and here we are.

What did Easterby have to do with trading Hopkins?

Is it Easterby's fault that Derrick is in the position he's in and that Derrick put the franchise in?

Easterby did lead to the firings of Rootes/Palcic and that needed to happen after they allowed a pervasive situation of sexual harassment in the FO. Easterby did his job very well you should be mad at what was going on with Derrick/Hopkins and in the FO. Not what Easterby reported back to Cal and did what he was hired to do. In short it looks like you've bought into the media narrative. Why is the media doing this? Because where they were getting their info got fired. Dont believe me, how many leaks have gotten out during the HC search? The media doesn't like this at all.

Last edited:
It hasn't happened yet because Cal is reluctant to make the hire. Caserio & Janice love some McCown.

Gameboy is the voice of reason in the Texans sea of insanity.
Sort of difficult for me to believe but hope it is true. Somebody in the organization needs to step up and be sane.

Is it Easterby's fault that Derrick is in the position he's in and that Derrick put the franchise in?

Easterby did lead to the firings of Rootes/Palcic and that needed to happen after they allowed a pervasive situation of sexual harassment in the FO. Easterby did his job very well you should be mad at what was going on with Derrick/Hopkins and in the FO. Not what Easterby reported back to Cal and did what he was hired to do. In short it looks like you've bought into the media narrative. Why is the media doing this? Because where they were getting their info got fired. Dont believe me, how many leaks have gotten out during the HC search? The media doesn't like this at all.
You make this and similar posts with such certainty. Out of curiosity, how do you know what Easterby was hired to do? Based on my observations, he was hired as VP team development. I take that to mean player development not dabbling with the PR or business departments. So, is this your opinion or fact?

I really don't care, either. I don't keep track of who says what. I tend to gloss over names and just read the thoughts.

I just find it funny that anyone would embrace "drinking koolaid" as a metaphor for blindly following anything considering the origin of the term was a bunch of brainwashed dead people from believing a lying preacher man. It's an. . .interesting parallel. :hmmm: OBLIGATORY lol

Would we hear? I mean, it's not like the Texans would brag about it. idonno:

None of us ever understood your burning hatred for Deshaun Watson (pre-2021), your scorching hatred of Rick Smith, or your raging hatred of Gary Kubiak.

And now you're simping for Easterby? It's very odd, to say the least. :thinking:

I dont think Derrick is what most on this MB think he is. I dont think you can win with him. Particularly making 35 mil per yr. That doesn't even take into account he's a perverted sexual predator.

RS, I knew since 2010 the Texans would win a championship with this politician GM. He was spending more time politicking than finding talent for the team. He should've been fired when Kubiak was fired. Same as BOB should've been fired when RS was fired.

Kubiak, I love him as a man and as a QB/OC. As a HC he was far to conservative for my taste.

Easterby- I'm not buying the media narrative, but if he was fired tomorrow I wouldn't care one bit. Easterby's insignificant. IMHO

You make this and similar posts with such certainty. Out of curiosity, how do you know what Easterby was hired to do? Based on my observations, he was hired as VP team development. I take that to mean player development not dabbling with the PR or business departments. So, is this your opinion or fact?

Well, you're right I dont know what Easterby does. But I believe what Cal/Caserio have said, Caserio is making the final calls over football opps. According to Corrosion and I believe him, Caserio is the guy who wants to hire McCown not Easterby and Cal shot down the idea last yr and again this yr. Easterby has very little to do with this decision.

Did he say specifically that Easterby didn't want to hire McCown? How did Caserio and Janice McNair meet Josh McCown? Who brought Josh McCown into the Texans organization?

No but he did specifically say Janice/Caserio wanted to hire McCown. Why would he leave Easterby's name out of his post. It appears Easterby is on a few posters minds who believe the media narrative. I dont believe the media narrative. Obviously you do.

It’s a little more to that buddy.

its the fact that the text Beli meant to send to Daboll was before Flores even completed his interview…basically saying his interview was only to satisfy the Rooney rule and they had no intentions of hiring him.

I find the stuff about Steven Ross to be even more damning.he might be forced to sell……..much to the delight of Dolphins fans.

And for the record, I believe every damn thing he alleges.
Same here. I hope they make Ross sale and violate Giants .
Well, you're right I dont know what Easterby does. But I believe what Cal/Caserio have said, Caserio is making the final calls over football opps. According to Corrosion and I believe him, Caserio is the guy who wants to hire McCown not Easterby and Cal shot down the idea last yr and again this yr. Easterby has very little to do with this decision.
I'm not picking on you, but how did McCown even get in the conversation last year before Caserio even was hired? Think about it during the coaching search pre Caserio and the 30 minute press conference for the 3rd string qb with 3 games left in the season. Then he gets an announced interview before all the legitimate candidates pre Caserio. Yet ,Caserio wanted to hire him?

I dont think Derrick is what most on this MB think he is. I dont think you can win with him. Particularly making 35 mil per yr. That doesn't even take into account he's a perverted sexual predator.

RS, I knew since 2010 the Texans would win a championship with this politician GM. He was spending more time politicking than finding talent for the team. He should've been fired when Kubiak was fired. Same as BOB should've been fired when RS was fired.

Kubiak, I love him as a man and as a QB/OC. As a HC he was far to conservative for my taste.

Easterby- I'm not buying the media narrative, but if he was fired tomorrow I wouldn't care one bit. Easterby's insignificant. IMHO
Except he's as close to the owner as anyone possible. You know who used to have the same position as Jack? Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville, think about that. A 2 time sb champion coach and a guy who almost had an expansion team in a sb has the same duties as Jack Easterby.

Except he's as close to the owner as anyone possible. You know who used to have the same position as Jack? Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville, think about that. A 2 time sb champion coach and a guy who almost had an expansion team in a sb has the same duties as Jack Easterby.

If Jack had that much sway over Cal. Then Cal would be on board with Janice/Caserio in hiring McCown. The fact that Cal's the disscenting voice in the room (Per Corrosion) should tell you that Caserio is going to make the final call but he needs Cal's blessings.

Did he say specifically that Easterby didn't want to hire McCown? How did Caserio and Janice McNair meet Josh McCown? Who brought Josh McCown into the Texans organization?

Jack could be fired today and nothing would change with this franchise going forward.

Jack is irrelevant as I've said all along. He's just an easy target to blame for all the problems this team has had.

Why haven’t the Texans brought in Aaron Glenn for an interview? One of the best former Texan players ever and now has 8 seasons of NFL coaching experience to go with his 15 season playing career.

Sounds like the Saints are making a run at him and I think the Texans job looks nicer right now (odd to say that).

Have you thought about following the yellow brick road across your beautiful Bridge in San Francisco to get to his oceanfront property? Not many people have such an opportunity..
If you decide to, I know a guy in Florida who has access to dolphins.

Don't want anything to do with Dolphins in Florida. Bad karma. :(

:coffee:

So your information indicates that Easterby has no influence on the decision making of Cal, Janice, or Casario? The selection of Josh McCown as a head coach candidate was the brainchild of Nick and Janice?
I'm always wondering about this "Easterby has no influence" angle. For example. If I walk into an auto dealership to buy a convertible. The salesman recognizes that although I'm exploring a convertible, I was open minded and willing to look at other options. The salesman suggests trying out a minivan and as we test drive, he reiterates it's my decision, but gives his humble opinion and makes a compelling case for the minivan. Also, during the test drive of the convertible, when discussing the features, although he didn't bash the convertible, he was less enthusiastic in his sales pitch/opinion/comments.

I think about it and then purchase the minivan. Although it's my decision, I made the final decision and happy with my decision, did the salesman influence my decision? Especially when you consider a minivan was not even on my radar?

I'm always wondering about this "Easterby has no influence" angle. For example. If I walk into an auto dealership to buy a convertible. The salesman recognizes that although I'm exploring a convertible, I was open minded and willing to look at other options. The salesman suggests trying out a minivan and as we test drive, he reiterates it's my decision, but gives his humble opinion and makes a compelling case for the minivan. Also, during the test drive of the convertible, when discussing the features, although he didn't bash the convertible, he was less enthusiastic in his sales pitch/opinion/comments.

I think about it and then purchase the minivan. Although it's my decision, I made the final decision and happy with my decision, did the salesman influence my decision? Especially when you consider a minivan was not even on my radar?
There are pictures of Jack Easterby being front and center in the draft room, sidelines and press conferences (still no pictures of him in the cafeteria). Cal has made him Vice President of Football Operations and has said Easterby occupies one of the all-important four seats in the Kirby Boardroom. To think that Jack Easterby has no say or input, is an exercise in denial and naivete. This brain trust looks to Jack Easterby as their voice of reason.

Last edited:
Jack could be fired today and nothing would change with this franchise going forward.

Jack is irrelevant as I've said all along. He's just an easy target to blame for all the problems this team has had.

Then WTH is his purpose on this team? Why is he getting paid millions of bucks? He's a public detriment to this team, but yet they keep him on staff. To the McNair's at least, he must have some importance to this franchise?

Same here. I hope they make Ross sale and violate Giants .

I'm not picking on you, but how did McCown even get in the conversation last year before Caserio even was hired? Think about it during the coaching search pre Caserio and the 30 minute press conference for the 3rd string qb with 3 games left in the season. Then he gets an announced interview before all the legitimate candidates pre Caserio. Yet ,Caserio wanted to hire him?
I didn't see this responded to, so I'll take a go at it. I verified my understanding by googling. The story is, MCCown was making his coaching aspirations known during the last years of his playing career. He and Easterby had become friends through their mutual association with the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). When Easterby was appointed to the position of interim GM late in 2020, he hired McCown to the teams practice squad. Two months later after Caserio was hired as the GM, he interviewed McCown for the HC position. These are the facts as known.

Now, opinion only, Caserio must have really been impressed during the interview. And from Steelb's posts, Janice must have been impressed. And Cal was the one who nixed hiring him to the HC position, with Caserio later offering him the position of associate hc position under Culley.

I didn't see this responded to, so I'll take a go at it. I verified my understanding by googling. The story is, MCCown was making his coaching aspirations known during the last years of his playing career. He and Easterby had become friends through their mutual association with the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). When Easterby was appointed to the position of interim GM late in 2020, he hired McCown to the teams practice squad. Two months later after Caserio was hired as the GM, he interviewed McCown for the HC position. These are the facts as known.

Now, opinion only, Caserio must have really been impressed during the interview. And from Steelb's posts, Janice must have been impressed. And Cal was the one who nixed hiring him to the HC position, with Caserio later offering him the position of associate hc position under Culley.
What appears to be the common denominator and a deciding factor to be the HC of the Houston Texans is being a member in good standing the FCA, Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

The legend of Easterby is reaching mystical rasputin level ridiculousness & your analogy is some Cambridge Analytica, Jedi mind trick nonsense.

If You’re happy with your decision...............& it was ultimately YOUR decision why are you still worried about how you may have been influenced by someone else b/c they weren’t excited to sell you what you may have thought you came in there to buy?

IF the salesman had bent over backwards trying to get you into the convertible then you found out later that he upsold the hell out of you and/or fudged the numbers in such a way that allowed you to get it where you otherwise wouldn't have, you'd be talking about predatory lending practices.

At some point, you gotta take responsibility for your own decision making & what i get from your analogy is that you wouldn't be willing to do that; You're looking for a hypeman to validate what you may already know you don't want to do.

Furthermore, i wouldn't want a guy like that in charge of making big decisions for my team & i doubt NC WOULD be in charge if he couldn't keep bias from creeping into his decision making.

The legend of Easterby is reaching mystical rasputin level ridiculousness & your analogy is some Cambridge Analytica, Jedi mind trick nonsense.

If You’re happy with your decision...............& it was ultimately YOUR decision why are you still worried about how you may have been influenced by someone else b/c they weren’t excited to sell you what you may have thought you came in there to buy?

IF the salesman had bent over backwards trying to get you into the convertible then you found out later that he upsold the hell out of you and/or fudged the numbers in such a way that allowed you to get it where you otherwise wouldn't have, you'd be talking about predatory lending practices.

At some point, you gotta take responsibility for your own decision making & what i get from your analogy is that you wouldn't be willing to do that; You're looking for a hypeman to validate what you may already know you don't want to do.

Furthermore, i wouldn't want a guy like that in charge of making big decisions for my team & i doubt NC WOULD be in charge if he couldn't keep bias from creeping into his decision making.
Cambridge Analytica. That cracked me up. The analogy is based on the premise that the salesman does not have any influence.

If I am a decision maker and take full responsibility. If I'm getting solicited or unsolicited feedback to make my final decisions. Regardless if only 1% or 95% of the feedback I received influenced my decision, I cannot make the blanket statement that the salesman providing that unsolicited or solicited feedback has no influence. That's the point. It's naive to think the salesman does not have any influence.

Cambridge Analytica. That cracked me up. The analogy is based on the premise that the salesman does not have any influence.

If I am a decision maker and take full responsibility. If I'm getting solicited or unsolicited feedback to make my final decisions. Regardless if only 1% or 95% of the feedback I received influenced my decision, I cannot make the blanket statement that the salesman providing that unsolicited or solicited feedback has no influence. That's the point. It's naive to think the salesman does not have any influence.

Its also naive to believe that Easterby is the only 1 who may be exerting influence or that his influence is so strong that it just can't be overcome....Like dude is Professor X or something.....whether its Cal/Janice McNair, the media......or yes even us fans we are all exerting influence on some level. Best believe he/they hear it too. Just b/c we all don't get to call up NC or Cal and directly give them our own INDIVIDUAL thoughts or get face time with NC doesn't mean that collectively we aren't influencing decision making.

The point is, at the end of the day, as a sound decision maker, you have to be able to put all that to the side and take ownership of what you decide. However the thought around here is that Easterby is on some Jean Grey mind control S&^% any time the Texans do or in this case consider things that the fans don't agree with. Its nonsense.

Last edited:

So then do you blame the salesman when you realize that the mini-van wasn't what you actually wanted? Ok lets say I agree and the salesman had an influence, so what? What caused you to want to buy the convertible in the first place? Something influenced that choice so are you sure that influence was a better one than the salesman? The Browns owner has famously said that he drafted Johnny Football on the advice of a homeless man. Does that mean the homeless man is to blame for that train wreck? What you are not factoring into premise is that everything around us influences every decision we make and it it on the person to decide if those influences are good or bad.

Saying Easterby is to blame because he influenced Cal or Caserio or Janice or whomever doesn't change the fact that ultimately is was not his decision. I've had people tell me to go jump off a building but that wasn't enough to make me do it. To many on here are acting like the McNair's are dumb people that are led around by their noses. News flash they are not, in fact even Cal is highly educated from an Ivy league. Just because we don't agree with the way they do business or their priorities does not mean that they are under some evil spell and can't make their own decisions.

I couldn't care less about Easterby but I'm getting the sense that the main reason people want him gone is in the vain hope that it will fix all the problems because they know while he can be fired the McNairs can't. Like @Corrosion said Easterby or no Easterby the McNairs will still do business the way they always have because thats who they are. Its like patching up a bullet wound without taking the bullet out, yeah you may stop the bleeding but doesn't solve the problem.

So then do you blame the salesman when you realize that the mini-van wasn't what you actually wanted? Ok lets say I agree and the salesman had an influence, so what? What caused you to want to buy the convertible in the first place? Something influenced that choice so are you sure that influence was a better one than the salesman? The Browns owner has famously said that he drafted Johnny Football on the advice of a homeless man. Does that mean the homeless man is to blame for that train wreck? What you are not factoring into premise is that everything around us influences every decision we make and it it on the person to decide if those influences are good or bad.

Saying Easterby is to blame because he influenced Cal or Caserio or Janice or whomever doesn't change the fact that ultimately is was not his decision. I've had people tell me to go jump off a building but that wasn't enough to make me do it. To many on here are acting like the McNair's are dumb people that are led around by their noses. News flash they are not, in fact even Cal is highly educated from an Ivy league. Just because we don't agree with the way they do business or their priorities does not mean that they are under some evil spell and can't make their own decisions.

I couldn't care less about Easterby but I'm getting the sense that the main reason people want him gone is in the vain hope that it will fix all the problems because they know while he can be fired the McNairs can't. Like @Corrosion said Easterby or no Easterby the McNairs will still do business the way they always have because thats who they are. Its like patching up a bullet wound without taking the bullet out, yeah you may stop the bleeding but doesn't solve the problem.
You are actually making the point. You are correct. Everything around us influences our decisions. So, to say Easterby has no influence, is incorrect and naive. It's not a matter of blame. It's a matter of influence. The final decision maker is to blame not the influencer. So, what are you disagreeing with? I didn't blame Easterby the salesman and as your Browns example shows, these billionaires will take bad advice from anyone. If they didn't take the bad advice from the homeless man, they would probably take it from a preacher or someone else.

Last edited:
Gannon was going to be announced today. That may have been on hold because of the Flores lawsuit.

Unsure yet if McCown comes along or Pep stays or Gannon interviews KOC for offensive side.
As The Show would say, this is a move that just makes sense. Need to string a few more of these decisions together and we'll be on the right track in no time.

You are actually making the point. You are correct. Everything around us influences our decisions. So, to say Easterby has no influence, is incorrect and naive. It's not a matter of blame. It's a matter of influence. The final decision maker is to blame not the influencer.

Yeah but, you guys over-prescribe (is that a word lol) the level of his influence on decisions being made.....without any proof. That is the issue. & i think NC has done a good job of pushing that notion to the side...but its like that wack-a-mole game with the fans and the media. He addressed it at the outset...continues to address it, but you guys keep popping up with it as a talking point every time something comes up y'all don't like.

Hopefully as CnD has stated Gannon will be announced soon so folks can calm down about the easterby influence deal.

All these leaks to Aaron Wilson go right back to this FO. What exactly IS Easterby's job? You tell me since you seem to know so much.

Gannon was going to be announced today. That may have been on hold because of the Flores lawsuit.

Unsure yet if McCown comes along or Pep stays or Gannon interviews KOC for offensive side.
Went back and doubled checked. I was on board with an offensive minded hc, McDaniels was my first choice, but I also stated that if the Texans decided on a defensive hc, Gannon was my top choice.

My really liking a Gannon hire is dependent on who is hired as OC. Also, the choice as OL coach will be interesting. Gannon may have an opinion on this choice.

Yeah but, you guys over-prescribe (is that a word lol) the level of his influence on decisions being made.....without any proof
I think their definition of influence appears to be more like control.

Let's say Easterby said, "I think we need to do something about the influence of Hopkins on Deshaun."

Then Easterby traded Hopkins for David Johnson. That doesn't make sense.

Likewise, if Easterby says, "Josh McCown is going to be a great coach one day."

Somehow they believe he heavy handed Caserio into making Josh the HC.

Never mind that Nick interviewed Josh 3 times & got to form his own opinion.

For the record, Corrosion didn't mentioned Easterby either way. I don't know what his connection to the Texans is - perhaps he knows a FO employee, because his takes have a certainty to them.

But there's no way in hell McCown gets 3 interviews without Easterby. Name the other team that has interviewed him for anything. Name his qualifications without saying he played QB. Because if playing QB is the qualifier, we should be on the phone with Schaub, Brady, Big Ben, Yates, and a whole slew of others.

All these leaks to Aaron Wilson go right back to this FO. What exactly IS Easterby's job? You tell me since you seem to know so much.

Lol, this is a dumb question from a string of dumb questions people keep asking as if:

a: it really matters to them for anything other than to criticise the dude......
b. they had ANY idea who did his job before him...
c. they knew what the qualifications for said job would be/are/were....
d. they'd actually believe ANYONE who did tell them what he does if it was anything remotely involved, important....

So just stick to the "preacher man" narrative.

Back