Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

Was just given this info: Caserio has been trying to broker a package deal for Gannon as HC and McCown or Kevin O'Connell as OC. Maybe AHC titles, too.

Not sure it'll work. Not sure how Gannon works with Lovie (who Cal wants to keep)... very different mindsets.

Like Quote Reply
So by mid season Gannon will be fired by Cal and McClown can take over. 8 games should be enough experience to get their clown into the top spot.

Was just given this info: Caserio has been trying to broker a package deal for Gannon as HC and McCown or Kevin O'Connell as OC. Maybe AHC titles, too.

Not sure it'll work. Not sure how Gannon works with Lovie (who Cal wants to keep)... very different mindsets.

Like Quote Reply

Not sure who your source is but this makes little sense for multiple reasons. I am skeptical of this info. If it is true, this might be even worse than just hiring McCown as HC. And why the hell would KOC make a lateral move from a SB quality team with a high quality organization to this dumpster fire?

Last edited:
I thought Josh McDaniels was a given??? A done deal! If not Josh, then Mayo was supposed to be in the house. What the heck is going on out there? Was this a double case of thanks but no thanks?
Was it reported that McDaniels was a done deal?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I thought Josh McDaniels was a given??? A done deal! If not Josh, then Mayo was supposed to be in the house. What the heck is going on out there? Was this a double case of thanks but no thanks?
I think it's pretty simple to understand. Nick doesn't have the authority to make these decisions on his own. And he's the 4th wheel in the McCown-Jack-Cal love triangle.

If McClown is indeed hired, it’s time to start making smoke about these idiots selling the team. That’s it for me.
Id expect the media to jump on board too at that point.
This idea is actually moving along quicker than I first thought. I originally thought this might be a 4-to-5-year process. Still might. Here we are a couple of weeks into year 2 and the incompetence that is running the Houston Texans is already at an all-time high. The other McNair siblings should begin to start voicing their displeasure about the McNair family name being the butt of nonstop jokes, being constantly raked thru the mud and being an embarrassment to the city of Houston. If they haven't already. It should not be too long before the other 3 siblings start demanding their piece of the $2.5 BILLION pie from Mama so they can move on with their lives and divorce themselves from this family embarrassment.

If they haven't already. It should not be too long before the other 3 siblings start demanding their piece of the $2.5 BILLION pie from Mama so they can move on with their lives and divorce themselves from this family embarrassment.
This will eventually have to be sorted out. I'm sure Janice McNair would love to see her Baby Huey continue on as CEO. And I'm not so sure the other McNairs will be so ready to sell. An NFL franchise is a cash cow, and you can't buy a better investment. This has to hit rock bottom before a move to oust Cal is made. We're not there yet. But we can see rock bottom from here.

I'm not sure if that's the case, but I am fairly certain that without irrefutable evidence to the contrary, this will be your be your narrative for the situation.
Everybody in the football world knew McDaniels, Mayo or another member of the New England fraternity would be the next Texans HC. It doesn't take a high IQ to figure out why no one from the New England fraternity has shown up for their interview. Some thought McDaniel wouldn't even have to interview. The way this works is if you've been requested to interview for the HC job with the Houston Texans, it is common procedure and professional protocol to respond with a yes or no. If the answer is yes, we would know about it. If the answer is no, we would not.

This idea is actually moving along quicker than I first thought. I originally thought this might be a 4-to-5-year process. Still might. Here we are a couple of weeks into year 2 and the incompetence that is running the Houston Texans is already at an all-time high. The other McNair siblings should begin to start voicing their displeasure about the McNair family name being the butt of nonstop jokes, being constantly raked thru the mud and being an embarrassment to the city of Houston. If they haven't already. It should not be too long before the other 3 siblings start demanding their piece of the $2.5 BILLION pie from Mama so they can move on with their lives and divorce themselves from this family embarrassment.
Agreed. This has become a massive embarrassment.
It’s time to sell. And there are investors who are ready.
Call the Manning’s and get it done.

This will eventually have to be sorted out. I'm sure Janice McNair would love to see her Baby Huey continue on as CEO. And I'm not so sure the other McNairs will be so ready to sell. An NFL franchise is a cash cow, and you can't buy a better investment. This has to hit rock bottom before a move to oust Cal is made. We're not there yet. But we can see rock bottom from here.
Look at it from a McNair sibling point of view. Would you want to continue with this constant cash cow embarrassing headache? Or would you want your $500,000,000 and move on from this nightmare? Their share could be closer to $1 Billion if they were to get $4 Billion for the franchise. As the saying goes, money talks and BS walks.

The big concern for me is Janice and Game Boy might think everything is wonderful, moving in the right direction and are oblivious to all outside noise. Then I'm back at my 4-to-5-year prediction.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if that's the case, but I am fairly certain that without irrefutable evidence to the contrary, this will be your be your narrative for the situation.

There is an avid group of people who are part of the Chicken Little Peckers Group. The sky is always falling. Always making up stuff.

If that means I am Kool Aid member i really don’t care.

giphy.gif

Or would you want your $500,000,000 and move on from this nightmare?
Where am I putting my $$$$ that would be better than an NFL franchise? I would expect the rest of the siblings to attempt to convince Mom that a new leader for the organization is needed for the sake of the franchise's value. If that doesn't work, then wait until the team is bequeathed to the heirs and oust Cal on their own.

Reactions: JB
Everybody in the football world knew McDaniels, Mayo or another member of the New England fraternity would be the next Texans HC. It doesn't take a high IQ to figure out why no one from the New England fraternity has shown up for their interview. Some thought McDaniel wouldn't even have to interview. The way this works is if you've been requested to interview for the HC job with the Houston Texans, it is common procedure and professional protocol to respond with a yes or no. If the answer is yes, we would know about it. If the answer is no, we would not.

"Everybody in the football world knew"
You misspelled "I have no evidence"

You act like you actually believe this board runs the Texans

What makes you think this will happen. McCown as OC or QB coach with Gannon as HC, I think I would be on board with that.
The whole time Gannon is looking over his shoulder waiting for that tap by Easterby to come have a talk in his office, knowing he’s getting the axe so McClown can be installed.

The whole thing is a fustercluck, and it’s because of the owners ineptitude and loon personal ideology.

Question.
Was their any other NFL teams that interviewed McClown for ANY positions?
Was their a college who interviewed McClown for ANY positions?
Was their even a high school who interviewed McClown for ANY coaching positions?

Yes, this is ridiculously stupid.
Yes, the owners are idiots and need to sell the team.

And the football world is wrong.

The way you're setting up this narrative, if Caserio had hired 1 of the Foxboro guys you would be against it, but since Caserio didn't (As of now) hire a Foxboro guy the Texans org is a bunch of babbling idiots.

Me I'm just gonna wait and see who Cal/Caserio hires before I even start to make a judgement, and probably wont make that judgement for 2 or 3 yrs.

The whole time Gannon is looking over his shoulder waiting for that tap by Easterby to come have a talk in his office, knowing he’s getting the axe so McClown can be installed.

The whole thing is a fustercluck, and it’s because of the owners ineptitude and loon personal ideology.

Question.
Was their even a high school who interviewed McClown for ANY coaching positions?

I dont think Gannon will be looking over his shoulder. As a 39 yr old HC I think this is a long term hire and just remember, right or wrong Gannon is a John Carroll graduate.

There was no ? in your post.

It as directed at Jack Burton, he said if Gannon was hired that he would always be looking over his shoulder and would be fired 8 games into the season if McCown was hired as OC/QB coach.

I thought since you got in on that conversation you would give us your thoughts. Sorry about that.

Of course, do any AHC titles mean that Gannon is short lived as HC? If so, why even bring him in, and more importantly, why would he take the job?
I doubt Harbaugh or Reid felt threatened by Culley when he was AHC.

I know we're talking about all the unconventional things this franchise does, but so far it looks like all the speculation was false.

They did not bring Culley in as a place holder for McDaniels, or Mayo. They did not at any time consider Josh McCown as a HC candidate.

That is if they bring in Gannon in & McCown under him.

Likewise, if they do this, the expectation would be just as conventional. Meaning Gannon is not a place holder. They expect him to win championships in Houston.

They're not looking forward to the day McCown becomes their HC anymore than Kyle Shanahan was expecting Demeco to replace Saleh.

It might happen, but it's not the plan.

If O Connell is the OC at the Rams, and going on HC interviews why would he leave the Rams who may have him under contract to just be an OC with a vastly less talented team. Doesn’t make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he gets the ASST HC title its technically a promotion and not a lateral move. I think he would be receptive to the move assuming he is not a final candidate from other teams this hiring cycle for another major reason… control of play calling.

There is a reason Bienemy hasn’t been hired besides allegedly being a poor interview. Reid calls the plays and that aint changing.

O’Connell would be thought of as a one or two year rental depending on how the Texans play. Gets the playcalling experience and hopefully much improved Texans offense on his resume and he’ll get a HC job faster than someone like Bienemy who we all know is less highly regarded because the Chiefs offense runs through Reid, Mahomes, Hill and Kelce (which 31 other teams don’t have).

Sounds like we’re playing Madden with a coaching staff and in that case i’d like Mccown to get his foot in the door as the QB coach to take over for O’Connell when he moves on in a year or two. I don’t think too many folks would object to that triumvirate.

If he gets the ASST HC title its technically a promotion and not a lateral move. I think he would be receptive to the move assuming he is not a final candidate from other teams this hiring cycle for another major reason… control of play calling.

There is a reason Bienemy hasn’t been hired besides allegedly being a poor interview. Reid calls the plays and that aint changing.

O’Connell would be thought of as a one or two year rental depending on how the Texans play. Gets the playcalling experience and hopefully much improved Texans offense on his resume and he’ll get a HC job faster than someone like Bienemy who we all know is less highly regarded because the Chiefs offense runs through Reid, Mahomes, Hill and Kelce (which 31 other teams don’t have).

Sounds like we’re playing Madden with a coaching staff and in that case i’d like Mccown to get his foot in the door as the QB coach to take over for O’Connell when he moves on in a year or two. I don’t think too many folks would object to that triumvirate.

Honest question, has there ever been a OC or DC that moved to a new team, being elevated to Asst HC?
I can't think of any

Maybe there was a typo.

Maybe it’s with Gannon or O’Connell as HC with MCCown as OC with the assistant HC title.
Remember our previous coaches, Kubiak & O'Brien were pretty much HC of the offense. Wade or Romeo were pretty much HC defense. Both Romeo & Wade had the AHC title.

Maybe that's what Caserio is is trying to build & the HC title is only ceremonial

Last edited:

Question.

100% correct. As to your first point, I've made it a couple of times elsewhere in this discussion. Easter Bunny will be working to undermine the HC and get McClown installed as HC ASAP. Not a single doubt in my mind on that point. This is why I've stated the only thing worse than naming McCown as HC is to name him as QB coach/OC.

* To be clear, my reference to McClown is not a personal knock on JM. It's a nod to the clusterf*ck and clown show aka as the Houston Texans and their HC search.

And why the hell would KOC make a lateral move from a SB quality team with a high quality organization to this dumpster fire?
Money & if he's given the AHC title it is not a lateral move, even though it is.

This guy spent a lot of time with the WFT. He might be one of those guys who don't feel right unless he's dodging bullets.

Agreed. This has become a massive embarrassment.
It’s time to sell. And there are investors who are ready.
Call the Manning’s and get it done.
They could have knocked off the dust on Urban Meyer & made him our HC & you guys would manage to paint that as a "massive embarrassment.

:thinking:

Wait a minute

Money & if he's given the AHC title it is not a lateral move, even though it is.

This guy spent a lot of time with the WFT. He might be one of those guys who don't feel right unless he's dodging bullets.

Are any of the other prospective head coach applicants promoters of the West Coast offense ?

If Gannon takes the job & McCown is given the AHC title I'm going to believe, as I already do, that this paradigm in which you speculate is utter nonsense.

No way Gannon takes this job if that were the atmosphere in Houston

My feeling…..if Bald Heysus forces Caserio to accept McCown as HC and gets the McNair’s on board, this just might be the time Caserio tells Cal to go duck himself. Bald Heysus becomes the new GM and is making the calls come the 2022 NFL Draft.

My feeling…..if Bald Heysus forces Caserio to accept McCown as HC and gets the McNair’s on board, this just might be the time Caserio tells Cal to go duck himself. Bald Heysus becomes the new GM and is making the calls come the 2022 NFL Draft.
GameBoy may be dense, but he'll never make Easterby GM again. Janice would slit his throat with her own hands.

Not saying I think Josh should be the pick, but probably don't need to call a 20 year NFL player who played with a hamstring off the bone Mcclown. It ain't his fault someone is offering him a job with no experience, so let's use the fun names on Cal and Casserio if we all need to vent. On his playing career, most coaches in the NFL were crappy players. They could not cut it, so Josh used his marginal talent to stick around for 20 years, I see that as a positive to build his knowledge, network, and respect of many players. I think those lower talent guys know the game well and better than some guys that are uber talented who get away with less effort. Probably sounds like I am defending him or the pick, I am not, just wanted to add .02 and refocus the vile at Tommy Boy
I’ve always called him McClown and will continue to.
And your grasping desperately.
He has no business in any capacity as a HC and it’s a laughably bad take.
[/QUOTE]
Not reaching, just stating facts. I did not say I wanted him as a head coach, just correcting you on bad players are generally better coaches (with experience), and I think his resume as a human/player does not justify calling him a clown. Cal is the clown. You do you, this is a message board so every take is valid, but think he would be a good coach with experience, which he should get before being the head coach

Here are the public approval ratings for each known Texans head coach candidate survey by 610 Radio. There may be other candidates not covered in this survey. This just goes to show that this forum is a pretty good indication how the fans in Houston feel. At least the fans that listen to 610 sports radio. You can read the entire article here.

BRIAN FLORES, former Miami Dolphin HC (interviewed 1/14) - Yes: 84.2% | No: 15.8% | Votes Cast: 866
DeMECO RYANS, Texans LB (no interview requested yet) - Yes: 80.8% | No: 19.2% | Votes Cast: 1555
KEVIN O'CONNELL, Los Angeles Rams OC (interviewed unknown) - Yes: 53.8% | No: 46.2% | Votes Cast: 688
JONATHAN GANNON, Philadelphia Eagles DC (interviewed 1/18) - Yes: 39.6% | No: 60.4% | Votes Cast: 979
JOE LOMBARDI, Los Angeles Chargers OC (interviewed 1/15) - Yes: 32.3% | No: 67.7% | Votes Cast: 820
JOSH McCOWN, journeyman QB (interviewed 1/20) - Yes: 11.2% | No: 88.8% | Votes Cast: 1014
HINES WARD, former WR and current WR coach (interviewed 1/15) - Yes: 10.3% | No: 89.7% | Votes Cast: 769

Out of everyone available I'd take DeMeco Ryans. Not being a homer, he's just proven to have the intellect and instinct to be a HC.

Back