Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

I'm just saying. You really don't know if he wasn't a good fit. It really isn't worth arguing about.

"It is with great regret that Houston Dynamo Football Club announce that Jamey Rootes will step down, effective immediately, as CEO," the team's statement reads. "Due to personal reasons, Jamey will take a leave of absence from the organization. We ask that Jamey’s privacy be respected during this time. "

Jamey Rootes steps down as Dynamo CEO after just 18 days (chron.com)
What happened in those 18 days? Did a family member become I'll?

I choose to believe we were a QB away for a long time. We went to the playoffs all but a couple years (or so) of Jj Watt's career.

Yeah, no Championship Games. I'm not saying we were ever true contenders, but I agree with TB74. Kubiak & Rick made this a true playoff contender. BO'b was supposed to lead us to the next level. Failed miserably.

But .. a step above mediocrity for a little while

Yeah but being a true "playoff contender" was never the ultimate goal, it was a bullet point.......... and it took them too long just to scratch that off the list. They toiled away for 5 years with those late season win streak just in time to juuussst miss the playoffs.......making everyone think that they were close.....Reality was the bad teams had checked out & the good teams were resting starters...& that was when they weren't just flat out bad. Hell we didn't even beat Indy in Indianapolis until BoB's 2nd-3rd year! which means Kubiak NEVER beat him there as the HC of the Texans. It wasn't until Kubiak got his card pulled by daddy McNair and made him bring in Wade that they were able to achieve that bullet point of getting to the playoffs.....which technically, they shouldn't have even been here to achieve...Should've been fired before then.

Maybe not intentionally...& not for the reasons Steelb asserts (drafting of DW4)...but c'mon TB....The Kubiak era save for 2 seasons was the definition of mediocrity...Just getting into & ultimately out of the Osweiler deal by itself set us back a ton..Our draft history from 2007-2010......no all pros, only 1 player from those drafts made a pro bowl...Duane Brown. 1. Unless you count Cush's rookie season...............which we know he was juicing. That kinda stuff catches up to you after a while bro.

BoB was definitely worse as a GM but Smith wasn't exactly bringing in all kinds of talent that we were just squandering either. i won't pile on the guy b/c of what we found out after the fact with his wife's illness, but towards the end he kinda did screw the team over a bit.
Brother we had a lot of bad luck and it took Kubiak too long to find his DC. But those teams had talent. But the main point was Rick did not help destroy this team of today. That was all Bill O’Brien. I also blame Cal for allowing that crap.

They did not have 12 years of mediocrity. You really need to stop that nonsense whenever RS name is brought up.

If 12-4 is mediocrity then please sign me up.

Again Rick did not mess over this franchise.
Might sound odd but that 12-4 season was one of the biggest gut punches I’ve seen. That season told me for sure that RS and Kubiak had no more room to grow. Why? They folded down the stretch losing an almost impossible to lose #1 playoff seed. They just could never play with the big boys.

We have different definitions of the word mediocrity. Did you ever feel like they were championship contenders in those 12 years? I didn't.

Is Derrick the main reason the franchise is where it's at today, stuck in limbo? Who brought him to Kirby?
He is not the main reason lol. Bill O’Brien is the main reason why this team is in a major funk.

Might sound odd but that 12-4 season was one of the biggest gut punches I’ve seen. That season told me for sure that RS and Kubiak had no more room to grow. Why? They folded down the stretch losing an almost impossible to lose #1 playoff seed. They just could never play with the big boys.
They folded because of injuries at the wrong time. Mainly to Matt Schaub.

I choose to believe we were a QB away for a long time. We went to the playoffs all but a couple years (or so) of Jj Watt's career.

Yeah, no Championship Games. I'm not saying we were ever true contenders, but I agree with TB74. Kubiak & Rick made this a true playoff contender. BO'b was supposed to lead us to the next level. Failed miserably.

But .. a step above mediocrity for a little while

A playoff team, yes

A true contender? Nope

Both the Kubiak/BOB regimes we're mediocre at best. What were the 2 commonalities? McNairs and RS.

A playoff team, yes

A true contender? Nope

Both the Kubiak/BOB regimes we're mediocre at best. What were the 2 commonalities? McNairs and RS.
If Matt would’ve stayed healthy, they were true contenders. They won I believe 10 or 11 in a row that year. Matt got hurt and the rest is history. Even the big time experts had picked them to make it to the SB.

If Matt would’ve stayed healthy, they were true contenders. They won I believe 10 or 11 in a row that year. Matt got hurt and the rest is history. Even the big time experts had picked them to make it to the SB.

Tell me how many playoff games did Matt win? There's no assurances what would have happened if Matt would have played.

Everything else is wishful thinking.

Can you please stop that crap. Hindsight is 50/50 dude and nobody knew Watson would pull this type of crap.

Just remember I didn't want Derrick to be picked at the time.

They should have known before giving him 160 mil. Fact is 1 man wanted to bring Derrick to Kirby and that's the reason why the franchise is where it's at today. If he would have listened to me or anybody that said to trade up for Mahomes the franchise would be in a much better place today. Instead they are where they are and frankly they are getting what they deserve as an org.

You're mixing and matching seasons. 2011 is when Schaub got hurt...but upon him coming back in 2012 we did win like 6-7 in a row...but most everyone saw us as paper tigers..& we didn't disappoint. A-aron had already laid the blueprint for beating us in that prime time ass whipping against where he tossed 6 TD's on us before i could even get 1 beer down. Lost 3 of 4 down the stretch that year..the last 2 to 2 horrible teams in Indy and a Christian Ponder led Viking team b/c Kubiak thought it was a good idea to rest his starters.

If you aren't a true contender then that's the definition of mediocrity.

Texans fans don't realize this because it's all they've ever known.
yelena-yelena-belova.gif

If you aren't a true contender then that's the definition of mediocrity.

Texans fans don't realize this because it's all they've ever known.

I think there is another tier and that is perennial loser.

Texans are good being stuck at average.

Jags are losers. They always seem to suck badly more than they are good.

Does anyone really think Caserio would bring in a forward thinking, high ceiling head coaching candidate? That would threaten his tenure and power hold over Cal and Jack.

Y’all arguing about Rick Smith vs OB like it matters.

Some of us sitting around wondering if we are going to get a head coach that has actually coached in the NFL.

Reality is its not gonna matter...There are those among us who are going to complain no matter who it is. You don't have to look any further than the Caserio hire. A guy who is as qualified as you can possibly be to be a GM...Its nonsensical really.

You're mixing and matching seasons. 2011 is when Schaub got hurt...but upon him coming back in 2012 we did win like 6-7 in a row...but most everyone saw us as paper tigers..& we didn't disappoint. A-aron had already laid the blueprint for beating us in that prime time ass whipping against where he tossed 6 TD's on us before i could even get 1 beer down. Lost 3 of 4 down the stretch that year..the last 2 to 2 horrible teams in Indy and a Christian Ponder led Viking team b/c Kubiak thought it was a good idea to rest his starters.
Was just going to post this. he was injured in 2011. Wasn’t 2012 also the letter jacket year? They both had to go at that point IMO.

Does anyone really think Caserio would bring in a forward thinking, high ceiling head coaching candidate? That would threaten his tenure and power hold over Cal and Jack.

No such thing partner....History says you can't be considered that unless you win. I'm sure Belichick was the same forward thinking football mind he is considered today when he was in Cleveland too.

Not saying he's moved to the top of my list, but I could get on board with McCown as HC. I was OK with Culley for one more year or two and McCown would not be any worse and would likely be an upgrade.

From what I've heard, McCown has high reviews for his ability to work with people. So for the team management responsibilities of a HC he would likely be as capable as any young hire. And as a 20 yr qb in the NFL, in multiple schemes, and although unproven, he very well could have a high ceiling in the X's and O's of an offense. For game management, there is not any reason to believe he would do any worse than any of the other young candidates being mentioned. He definitely may need help on the defensive side of the ball, but the Texans have Lovie.

With a capable OC, McCown could be a solid risk if the Texans were to go forward with youth. Two other young, inexperienced names being mentioned are Jarod Mayo and DeMeco Ryans, both on the defensive side of the ball. I've said I'd prefer a HC with an offensive background. McCown just could be the one and I'd be OK with that.
:toropalm:
You know, people around here like to bring in the real business world from time to time. If you're running a company and you're looking to hire someone for an upper management position, and you pick up a resume that has no experience for what you're hiring for, forget calling that person in for an interview and eventually hiring them. You're putting that resume in the shredder and moving to the next.

Not saying that someone with no experience can't learn and grow on the job and eventually succeed, but who's taking that chance? I mean, other than the ******* Texans. It's hard enough for people with more on their resumes.

Can you please stop that crap. Hindsight is 50/50 dude and nobody knew Watson would pull this type of crap.
Time to get out of this steel made rabbit hole. SteelB is all in on the greatness of Nick Caserio. Yet, Caserio and the Patriots drafted a known gang member who ended up committing murder. I bet if Caserio signs another gang member. It will be either Ricky's fault or Caserio is doing things different at NRG and he is not sticking to Ricky's Texans worthy crap. In other words, it's not worth it.

You know, people around here like to bring in the real business world from time to time. If you're running a company and you're looking to hire someone for an upper management position, and you pick up a resume that has no experience for what you're hiring for, forget calling that person in for an interview and eventually hiring them. You're putting that resume in the shredder and moving to the next.

Not saying that someone with no experience can't learn and grow on the job and eventually succeed, but who's taking that chance? I mean, other than the ******* Texans. It's hard enough for people with more on their resumes.

You make a good point but (and I am no proponent of hiring McCown) McCown has industry experience with an interesting background looking at this from a business perspective. He is basically the dark horse type of candidate that recruiters bring in to see what the board of directors think because he is different than the other candidates. I was one of those candidates once. Did not have the direct experience but was brought in anyway because I had indirect industry experience and leadership experience in the military. Have been that person a few times. Never got the job, but it was always an interesting experience.

Kinda playing devil's advocate because it seems pretty obvious why McCown was brought in and it wasn't likely because he was the out of the box dark horse candidate.

Lol, clearly you've never worked in the real business world then

The media heads ( most of them) picked us to make it to the Super Bowl that year we went 12-4. I remember because I was like wow the Texans are finally getting some love.

My bad they went 11-1 that year. They were the hottest team.

Pete Prisco: Texans vs. Packers-- Even though Green Bay lost to the 49ers, I think the defensive improvement against Chicago makes them the favorite still. What can't the Texans do? They can run it. Throw it. And play great defense.

Mike Freeman: Ravens vs. Packers -- The Ravens finally have an offense. Or at least an offense that allows Joe Flacco more freedom something I've wanted the Ravens organization to do for some time. The offense has the potential to produce some serious firepower to go along with an already dominant defense.

Will Brinson: Texans vs. Falcons -- Why? Because I picked it before the season and thus far, both teams have looked quite good. The NFC will be tough to navigate, but as long Atlanta doesn't get crushed with big-time injuries like Brent Grimes all season, they can pull it off. Houston's kicked the mess out of two inferior opponents, but that doesn't make them any less well-rounded or talented.

Josh Katzowitz: Texans vs. Packers -- While 2-0 might not sound like much, there are only two teams in the AFC that have accomplished it -- Houston and the Chargers. So far, the Texans defense, running game and quarterbacking have come together to make this the best team in the conference. Hey, Green Bay lost in Week 1. It happens. But that doesn't mean the Packers won't win the NFC North and then outlast San Francisco in their rematch from Week 1 to make their second Super Bowl in three years. That Green Bay offense is just too good.

Ryan Wilson: Texans vs. 49ers -- Despite the preseason hype the Texans are easily the most under-the-radar 2-0 team. While folks are wondering how the Eagles and Cardinals managed to win two games, it's business as usual for the Texans. I don't expect San Francisco to play at this level for the entire season but through two weeks they've been the NFL's best team with convincing wins over Green Bay and Detroit.

The media heads ( most of them) picked us to make it to the Super Bowl that year we went 12-4. I remember because I was like wow the Texans are finally getting some love.

Must've been local media guys.....had to be considering how we finished that year & how Kubiak's teams had shown the tendency to not perform in prime time and how they were famous for not beating elite qbs...it was literally the hallmark of his teams for years here. That particular year we only faced 3 elite qbs & went 1-2...not counting the playoffs (1-3).

Peyton Manning..that was his 1st year in Denver after sitting out 2011 with the surgery.......we caught him early in the season when he was still getting back in to the swing of it all......we barely hung on to win that 1....
The aforementioned GB monday night massacre Rodgers put on us....Made us look like children...but that was our 1st loss that year..
Then the late season shlacking Brady put on us that gave us our 2nd loss that year......before the end of season meltdown against Indy and Minny.

Must've been local media guys.....had to be considering how we finished that year & how Kubiak's teams had shown the tendency to not perform in prime time and how they were famous for not beating elite qbs...it was literally the hallmark of his teams for years here. That particular year we only faced 3 elite qbs & went 1-2...not counting the playoffs (1-3).

Peyton Manning..that was his 1st year in Denver after sitting out 2011 with the surgery.......we caught him early in the season when he was still getting back in to the swing of it all......we barely hung on to win that 1....
The aforementioned GB monday night massacre Rodgers put on us....Made us look like children...but that was our 1st loss that year..
Then the late season shlacking Brady put on us that gave us our 2nd loss that year......before the end of season meltdown against Indy and Minny.
No sir

Falcons-Texans in Super Bowl XLVII? Quarter-pole predictions
Published: Oct 01, 2012 at 06:25 AM
matt-ryan-matt-schaub-121001-wide.jpg

With the first four Sundays of the 2012 campaign in the books, it's time to start thinking about New Orleans. No, not the 0-4 Saints; we're talking about the location for Super Bowl XLVII. At the quarter pole, which two teams do you think will square off in the Big Easy in February?
  • steve_wyche_HS_09_65x90.jpg
  • Steve Wyche NFL.com
  • Battle of the birds: Falcons vs. Ravens
I am going to stick with my preseason AFC pick: the Baltimore Ravens. It just seems like such a complete team, but it might take getting home-field advantage to withstand the Houston Texans.

• charlie_casserly_HS_12_65.jpg
  • Charley Casserly NFL.com
  • Texans and Falcons are NFL's most complete teams at quarter pole
In the AFC, I will go with the Houston Texans. They are the most balanced team in the NFL. On offense, they can both run and pass with great efficiency. They can control the clock and be explosive, on the ground or through the air. This is rare. If Matt Schaubhad been healthy for last season's playoffs, the Texans definitely could have made Super Bowl XLVI. I think they will be unbeatable at home in the postseason this time around.

She had made some public comments supporting Joe Biden for POTUS and she was fired right after the election. Probably upset the McNairs as well, there is a history of that. Bob McNair voiced his displeasure when Obama was elected in 08'.
OK didn't know she'd gone public for Biden, but I do remember when the ole man complained about Barrys election.

Can't really tell if you are discounting ALL inexperienced candidates, or only McCown. There are quite a few positive comments supporting DeMeco and Jarod. Are you discounting them as well? These two have little more experience than Josh. I've listed three long established experienced coaches at the top of my list. But if inexperienced resumes are being considered, then McCown is at the top of this list, for me.

What you are ignoring is that the Texans may be shooting for a strong, hands on, GM model. If an inexperienced HC is hired, Caserio may be running the show from the top and the coordinators running the offense and defense from below.

The run on candidates have begun, with two teams hiring today. The Texans have not had a long list of interviewed candidates. Kevin O'Connell and Mike McDaniel are still involved in the playoffs. One will become available next week. We don't know if either of these will be interviewed, but my point is that McCown seems to be on any short list the Texans may have and I, for one, would be OK if he was hired. My emotion would be one of curiosity to see how Caserio's plan for the Texans work out going into the draft, OTA's, training camp and the season. McCown would be something different. The Texans have gotten it wrong in the past. Something different may be good.

No sir

Falcons-Texans in Super Bowl XLVII? Quarter-pole predictions
Published: Oct 01, 2012 at 06:25 AM
matt-ryan-matt-schaub-121001-wide.jpg

With the first four Sundays of the 2012 campaign in the books, it's time to start thinking about New Orleans. No, not the 0-4 Saints; we're talking about the location for Super Bowl XLVII. At the quarter pole, which two teams do you think will square off in the Big Easy in February?
  • steve_wyche_HS_09_65x90.jpg
  • Steve Wyche NFL.com
  • Battle of the birds: Falcons vs. Ravens
I am going to stick with my preseason AFC pick: the Baltimore Ravens. It just seems like such a complete team, but it might take getting home-field advantage to withstand the Houston Texans.
lol, if these media types were so prescient and astute then why were they not aware of our perennial inability to take the next step? This was the year I knew the HC and GM didn’t know how to do it. I originally was on their bandwagon until year after year I never saw that next step taken. I mentioned in another post that I feel that our next HC must understand how to maintain tempo in an offense and how to manage momentum. Never felt like any progress was made in those respect with those guys.

[
But you know what, for the sake of argument lets say you are right and all the bad contracts the Texans handed out Easterby was lockstep with OB on. First its Janice's fault for putting someone over contracts that has no business being there just like its Her fault for giving OB the power she did. Do you really think its fair to blame and fire someone that was completely set up for failure when they, surprise, fail? Now Caserio has said that Easterby has nothing to do with contracts and other football decisions and, putting emotion and baseless things thrown around here and on media aside, all evidence points to that being true. So what does it matter if he is still there as long as he's not actually making football decisions?

Edited for clarity

Whatever you think of Easterby and his potential effects on the Texans organization if any, the problem truly isn't Easterby. It's McNair. If you get rid of Easterby it won't be long before another just like him gets into McNair's ear (just like Rick Smith) because he is obviously a very gullible individual with more money than sense.

This is what I've been saying all along.

Folks get worked up about my ridicule of Easterby - and I do it mainly because it's fun and he's low hanging fruit - but ultimately Jack is just a symptom of something much more fundamentally dysfunctional: bad ownership.

Cal is the moron that gave O'Brien ultimate power after a historical playoff choke and flipping the bird at fans. What successful owner does such a thing? And he's the owner that ultimately signed off on trading away a star player for [insert random reasons here].

At the end of the day, we have a baby Bud Adams here that will ultimately be the source of continued failure simply because he is clueless and is easy to manipulate.

So expecting this owner to do anything more than continue the folly that he's already displayed is. . .well, wishful thinking.

I just look forward to the day when he starts groveling for taxpayer money to renovate the stadium we built. It's only a matter of time.

Just remember I didn't want Derrick to be picked at the time.

They should have known before giving him 160 mil. Fact is 1 man wanted to bring Derrick to Kirby and that's the reason why the franchise is where it's at today. If he would have listened to me or anybody that said to trade up for Mahomes the franchise would be in a much better place today. Instead they are where they are and frankly they are getting what they deserve as an org.
If Rick Smith had listened to you. He would have drafted Nate Peterman and not Watson.

That looks like a pretty good mock draft and I said so at the time.

We Texans fans dont want to admit this, but Peterman has looked better than Watson this preseason.

Time to get out of this steel made rabbit hole. SteelB is all in on the greatness of Nick Caserio. Yet, Caserio and the Patriots drafted a known gang member who ended up committing murder. I bet if Caserio signs another gang member. It will be either Ricky's fault or Caserio is doing things different at NRG and he is not sticking to Ricky's Texans worthy crap. In other words, it's not worth it.

Nice diversion from the truth.

I really wouldn't mind giving guys 2nd chances and ending the Texans Worthy BS. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Big difference from making these guys the face of your franchise and giving them 160 mil.

Exactly, anybody who by the end of the regular season thought the Texans were contenders were fooling themselves or didn't watch the team play over the last month of the regular season.

BTW, That season was Kubiak's finest coaching job down on Kirby. He got the most out of a top heavy but thin roster.

Back