Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

Looks like McDaniels to the Raiders, Leftwich to the Jags and Hacket to Denver. And here we sit doing absolutely nothing. WTF is Caserio doing everyday?!? Is there anything more important on his plate right now? He should be on a plane hitiing these cities conducting interviews in hotel rooms if need be. No one wants to come here? BS! Money talks. Offer whatever the going rate is + a guaranteed signing bonus that would be hard to refuse. It's not gonna happen if he's waiting on someone to knock on his door!

none of those guys were interviewed here or appear to be on their short list.

Rootes and Palcic needed to be pushed out whether Easterby was down on Kirby or not. IMHO This is more of the media pushing a narrative and I will bet you one of these people were the source behind the SI piece.

Who are these other good people that got pushed out?

BTW, I don't like how the coaching search is going. Something doesn't feel right.
Rootes left of his own volition because he was not qualified to be a clown and had never worked in a circus and didn't want to. Easterby fired Palcic because of her political views. Now I know you are going to say Rootes fired her but that is NOT what Amy told all of her media buddies. She blamed Easterby for her dismissal and that is why the media all went bat $hit crazy on the Preacherman. (so you can save yourself a post).

What exactly about the Culley hire was a disaster? He did exactly what he was suppose to do, be the anti-OB and be a cheerleader in a throwaway season. Or did you think they could have hired a coach, any coach, that would have had a good season?
Agreed. Outside of the run game, this team played well, which is what a head coach is supposed to do. Maybe we could have won two more games with better game management..... maybe. If anything we might have converted a couple of more 1st downs.

Rootes left of his own volition because he was not qualified to be a clown and had never worked in a circus and didn't want to. Easterby fired Palcic because of her political views. Now I know you are going to say Rootes fired her but that is NOT what Amy told all of her media buddies. She blamed Easterby for her dismissal and that is why the media all went bat $hit crazy on the Preacherman. (so you can save yourself a post).
Rootes was told to exit stage left and take Ms Palcic with him.

Notice how Rootes left his next job after only a couple of months. Rootes was part of the FO culture problem.

It's speculation. There is no evidence of anyone declining an interview with the Texans
The fact that the New England fraternity who was at the top of list and have not been interviewed can be considered evidence. A few other big names on that list that have also not been interviewed can also be construed as evidence.

I dunno what were Ms Pacics poly views that upset Easterby ?

I dunno what were Ms Pacics poly views that upset Easterby ?
She had made some public comments supporting Joe Biden for POTUS and she was fired right after the election. Probably upset the McNairs as well, there is a history of that. Bob McNair voiced his displeasure when Obama was elected in 08'.

Didn’t you read that Solomon was present and both BOB and Rasputin made it clear - meaning directly from their own God damned mouths that they were in lockstep and jointly responsible for the decisions they made. Why are you blind to the truth that is staring you in the face. Take a look at the carnage that he has caused and the people he has driven out. Those are FACTS. Amazing that you are willfully evading what is plainly evident to everyone who has a shred of knowledge about this team and the league in general.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize I was suppose to take the word of someone on blind faith just because they said "I was there." I especially love how this was, as you said, off the record which means a reporter gets to make up whatever they want. As far as the people he has driven out.

Rootes: The guy that kept raises prices every season and viewed the Texans as just a marketing tool

Palcic: The PR person that leaked like the post iceberg Titanic

Watson: Sure yeah Easterby is to blame for that.

The equipment guy that was loaning out massage tables: ...................LMAO

So did I miss anyone? You really need to chill out brother, you are getting far to worked up about this.

Take a deep breath….O’Connell and the Rams are still in the playoffs. I’m fairly sure that if the Texans have O’Connell on the radar….they’ve been asked to let him finish the season now that the Rams are just a game away from a Super Bowl.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize I was suppose to take the word of someone on blind faith just because they said "I was there." I especially love how this was, as you said, off the record which means a reporter gets to make up whatever they want. As fwar as the people he has driven out.

Rootes: The guy that kept raises prices every season and viewed the Texans as just a marketing tool

Palcic: The PR person that leaked like the post iceberg Titanic

Watson: Sure yeah Easterby is to blame for that.

The equipment guy that was loaning out massage tables: ...................LMAO

So did I miss anyone? You really need to chill out brother, you are getting far to worked up about this.
Solomon is more of a shock jock, not a reliable go-to guy for being informed. I can't remember a single article I've read written by Solomon that wasn't filled with hate, lacking facts, full of unfounded over the top innuendo and, above all else, that didn't follow a distinct agenda.

1643299200474.png

So is Matt Eberflus who the Bears have nabbed. And apparently it's only a matter of time until Leftwich is a done deal in Jacksonville.

Meanwhile we're interviewing Josh McCown and Hines Ward.

linkage on Eberflus

Urban Meyer

Beat me to it!

I was going to post this though:

urban-meyer.gif

Rootes was told to exit stage left and take Ms Palcic with him.

Notice how Rootes left his next job after only a couple of months. Rootes was part of the FO culture problem.
I'm not a fan of Rootes' approach where it appears he prioritized marketing and profits above winning. However, to be fair. After taking the new job, you don't know if the guy had a health or family crisis. He could have taken the job too quickly and realized that it wasn't for him.

Besides trying to make it fit a narrative. I don't get the correlation between Rootes' job with the Texans and leaving the new job after a couple of months.

Last edited:
Take a deep breath….O’Connell and the Rams are still in the playoffs. I’m fairly sure that if the Texans have O’Connell on the radar….they’ve been asked to let him finish the season now that the Rams are just a game away from a Super Bowl.
That could be true...........BUT..............be aware that O'Connell interviewed with the Broncos last week.

With his reputation and reports of his behavior with the 49ers, I'm surprised the Jaguars hired Baalke. I'm not surprised that any potential HC with options would have trust issues with him and would want control of the roster. Kudos to Leftwich for not just taking a job because it's 1 of 32 and trying to get the best working environment for him to succeed.

With his reputation and reports of his behavior with the 49ers, I'm surprised the Jaguars hired Baalke. I'm not surprised that any potential HC with options would have trust issues with him and would want control of the roster. Kudos to Leftwich for not just taking a job because it's 1 of 32 and trying to get the best working environment for him to succeed.

Yeah well, as i've said with fans here in wanting Smith/BoB/Culley out, be careful what you ask for. While its commendable, hes also laying the groundwork for a quicker demise too tho. If he winds up taking that gig, he's gonna be tied to Lawrence and if they continue to stink, there will be noone to blame but him if Baalke is out of there. Furthermore, he'd also be a 1st year HC & by default, the assumption with those guys is, they don't know what they don't know. He'll find that it ain't as easy being the guy when you don't have a HoF/GOAT qb taking alot of the load off you. Ask Kubiak.

Whatever you think of Easterby and his potential effects on the Texans organization if any, the problem truly isn't Easterby. It's McNair. If you get rid of Easterby it won't be long before another just like him gets into McNair's ear (just like Rick Smith) because he is obviously a very gullible individual with more money than sense.

I'm not a fan of Rootes' approach where it appears he prioritized marketing and profits above winning. However, to be fair. After taking the new job, you don't know if the guy had a health or family crisis. He could have taken job too quickly and realized that it wasn't for him.

Besides trying to make it fit a narrative. I don't get the correlation between Rootes' job with the Texans and leaving the new job after a couple of months.

Just saying there's a reason he wasn't a good fit at his next job.

Didn't take long for his new employer to figure out what he was all about.

Just saying there's a reason he wasn't a good fit at his next job.

Didn't take long for his new employer to figure out what he was all about.
I'm just saying. You really don't know if he wasn't a good fit. It really isn't worth arguing about.

"It is with great regret that Houston Dynamo Football Club announce that Jamey Rootes will step down, effective immediately, as CEO," the team's statement reads. "Due to personal reasons, Jamey will take a leave of absence from the organization. We ask that Jamey’s privacy be respected during this time. "

Jamey Rootes steps down as Dynamo CEO after just 18 days (chron.com)

McNair's ear (just like Rick Smith) because he is obviously a very gullible individual with more money than sense.
I don't know if I would go that far, "obviously very gullible" especially when referencing Rick Smith who was the hand of Cal's dad.

We're all saying the McNair's should find a football guy, put him in charge & get out of the way.

I & many hope that person is Caserio.

Whatever you think of Easterby and his potential effects on the Texans organization if any, the problem truly isn't Easterby. It's McNair. If you get rid of Easterby it won't be long before another just like him gets into McNair's ear (just like Rick Smith) because he is obviously a very gullible individual with more money than sense.
Not just those two, Bill O’Brien was the worst. Rick Smith didn’t f over this team like O’Brien and Easterby. So why bring his name up. Caserio so far isn’t doing them any justice either.

Yep, Baalke was not good at his job.

With that said, we don't have to worry about the Jags for the next 5-10 years.

Khan chose to follow the Cards model. LMAO.

Yeah well, as i've said with fans here in wanting Smith/BoB/Culley out, be careful what you ask for. While its commendable, hes also laying the groundwork for a quicker demise too tho. If he winds up taking that gig, he's gonna be tied to Lawrence and if they continue to stink, there will be noone to blame but him if Baalke is out of there. Furthermore, he'd also be a 1st year HC & by default, the assumption with those guys is, they don't know what they don't know. He'll find that it ain't as easy being the guy when you don't have a HoF/GOAT qb taking alot of the load off you. Ask Kubiak.
Quoted for truth.

Ehh i'm gonna stay neutral here. I know its popular to crap on Cal as this Tommy boy like dude whose.........well whose's an idiot.........but that dude ain't as clueless as y'all want to believe he is. He he had enough sense to realize that toxic entities within that organization needed to be rooted out. & just based on Rootes having already been fired by yet another professional team mere months into the job & Palcic landing at another franchise & that franchise IMMEDIATELY being immersed in controversy and turmoil.....................by the guy that hired her of all people, i don't think you can say that Cal is this bumbling idiot. Furthermore Smith, Rootes, Palcic and even Easterby to some extent, were daddy McNair hires...not Cal's. So if Cal is "gullible", then what does that say about Daddy McNair who kept these folks on staff for a decade plus?

Daddy McNair was the face of the franchise and the buck stopped with him but i'm pretty sure we can all agree, he wasn't a football guy & that was his weak spot. I honestly think Palcic and Rootes took full advantage of that & used that to their advantage for years while he was alive going over Cal's head (CEO since 2011) to daddy often to get their non football agenda's greenlit. BoB McNair dies, Cal ascends & suddenly its much tougher to get those non football ideas ok'ed.....& of course they didn't care for it. To top it off, He's got this Easterby character uncovering **** for him...which triggers all the leaks.

I have absolutely NO PROOF of any of this, but office politics is the same everywhere & its not hard for me to believe that when Cal took over in 2018 he told Rootes, Palcic and others in so many words and ways to get on board with him & how he wants to do things or GTFOH. Easterby is just the 1 guy that chose to stick with Cal.

Last edited:
Not just those two, Bill O’Brien was the worst. Rick Smith didn’t f over this team like O’Brien and Easterby. So why bring his name up. Caserio so far isn’t doing them any justice either.

12 yes of mediocrity and fostering Derrick upon this city set this franchise back further than BOB ever could dream of.

The Texans can't and won't improve until Derrick's either traded or in jail and we solely have RS to blame for this.

I'm just saying. You really don't know if he wasn't a good fit. It really isn't worth arguing about.

"It is with great regret that Houston Dynamo Football Club announce that Jamey Rootes will step down, effective immediately, as CEO," the team's statement reads. "Due to personal reasons, Jamey will take a leave of absence from the organization. We ask that Jamey’s privacy be respected during this time. "

Jamey Rootes steps down as Dynamo CEO after just 18 days (chron.com)

I'm sure you know, when you're operating in such a high and public position as he was for years, they pay people to craft these types of releases to not give away what the deal really is.

This is part of the press release from the Texans when he left here.

"The Houston Texans announced today that long-time president Jamey Rootes is leaving the organization to pursue his interests as a writer, public speaker, consultant and professor at the University of Houston."
https://www.houstontexans.com/news/press-release-jamey-rootes-leaves-texans-organization

From that 1 snippet it is implied by the reader that he left voluntarily and everything's all good......but we who follow this team & know it wasn't. Further he was supposed to be going to pursue this other stuff which implies he was tired of the whole senior leadership pro sports arena...& yet he ends up in a similar position with another pro ball club mere months later.

So i'm calling baloney. Something happened with the Dynamo, I just don't believe its in the manner in which you're asserting. That same press release you're quoting says this:

“At an appropriate point, we look forward to welcoming Jamey back to the Club as a senior advisor to Ted Segal and the organization,”....i.e. NOT CEO.

Dynamo just got bought out by a new guy. & what typically happens is just like on football teams and any larger organization, they look over the leadership structure and add/eliminate who they want where & in what capacity. What probably happened is that this Ted Segal guy looked over the org chart and said, Yeah, we definitely don't want him here in this position...he can go here tho.." (demotion) and Rootes was like "naw, i'm good"...which technically is a "personal reason"/not a good fit lol...it just doesn't speak to the real reasoning behind it. Never underestimate the ego of these people.

My point is this wasn't a burger king head burger-flipper position where you accept and quit after 2 weeks b/c you didn't know what the food service industry was really like. Most folks who circulate in those high level positions accept them knowing pretty much everything & its almost unheard of for someone to accept and then "quit" after 2 weeks. My guess is he was either going to be demoted or be removed all together as this new owner came in...Kinda like Morey and Fertitta.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
12 yes of mediocrity and fostering Derrick upon this city set this franchise back further than BOB ever could dream of.

The Texans can't and won't improve until Derrick's either traded or in jail and we solely have RS to blame for this.
They did not have 12 years of mediocrity. You really need to stop that nonsense whenever RS name is brought up.

If 12-4 is mediocrity then please sign me up.

Again Rick did not mess over this franchise.

They did not have 12 years of mediocrity. You really need to stop that nonsense whenever RS name is brought up.

Maybe not intentionally...& not for the reasons Steelb asserts (drafting of DW4)...but c'mon TB....The Kubiak era save for 2 seasons was the definition of mediocrity...Just getting into & ultimately out of the Osweiler deal by itself set us back a ton..Our draft history from 2007-2010......no all pros, only 1 player from those drafts made a pro bowl...Duane Brown. 1. Unless you count Cush's rookie season...............which we know he was juicing. That kinda stuff catches up to you after a while bro.

BoB was definitely worse as a GM but Smith wasn't exactly bringing in all kinds of talent that we were just squandering either. i won't pile on the guy b/c of what we found out after the fact with his wife's illness, but towards the end he kinda did screw the team over a bit.

BoB was definitely worse as a GM but Smith wasn't exactly bringing in all kinds of talent that we were just squandering either.
I choose to believe we were a QB away for a long time. We went to the playoffs all but a couple years (or so) of Jj Watt's career.

Yeah, no Championship Games. I'm not saying we were ever true contenders, but I agree with TB74. Kubiak & Rick made this a true playoff contender. BO'b was supposed to lead us to the next level. Failed miserably.

But .. a step above mediocrity for a little while

Not saying he's moved to the top of my list, but I could get on board with McCown as HC. I was OK with Culley for one more year or two and McCown would not be any worse and would likely be an upgrade.

From what I've heard, McCown has high reviews for his ability to work with people. So for the team management responsibilities of a HC he would likely be as capable as any young hire. And as a 20 yr qb in the NFL, in multiple schemes, and although unproven, he very well could have a high ceiling in the X's and O's of an offense. For game management, there is not any reason to believe he would do any worse than any of the other young candidates being mentioned. He definitely may need help on the defensive side of the ball, but the Texans have Lovie.

With a capable OC, McCown could be a solid risk if the Texans were to go forward with youth. Two other young, inexperienced names being mentioned are Jarod Mayo and DeMeco Ryans, both on the defensive side of the ball. I've said I'd prefer a HC with an offensive background. McCown just could be the one and I'd be OK with that.

Hey Earl, tell me what's not true about this post?

Facts are what they are. Cold hard truth.

We have different definitions of the word mediocrity. Did you ever feel like they were championship contenders in those 12 years? I didn't.

Is Derrick the main reason the franchise is where it's at today, stuck in limbo? Who brought him to Kirby?

Back