Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

I am back and interested during this search and this off-season. I was only mildly interested at best the last two years and more out of habit then any real interest. They have a chance to actually make wise choices and put the ship on the proper course this offseason and actually bring me back as a fan again. Do I expect that? Hell freaking no. They will do their usual stupid ****, make a crazy bad choice as HC, blow the Watson trade and then I will go back to posting here very infrequently and moving along. But forgive me for actually being interested at this particular moment in team history.

This is typical Houston Texans method of operations. I mean their Executive Vice President of Football Operations is Jack Easterby. Easterby has zero, nada experience for that job. Even Bill Belichick says Texans VP Jack Easterby is 'not a personnel person'.
Demeco will never work for the Texans org

Those kinds of things happen when you sue corps. Mayo? I thought you guys were against all things Foxboro? What's different about Mayo? Would you like some mustard with that Mayo?

I am back and interested during this search and this off-season. I was only mildly interested at best the last two years and more out of habit then any real interest. They have a chance to actually make wise choices and put the ship on the proper course this offseason and actually bring me back as a fan again. Do I expect that? Hell freaking no. They will do their usual stupid ****, make a crazy bad choice as HC, blow the Watson trade and then I will go back to posting here very infrequently and moving along. But forgive me for actually being interested at this particular moment in team history.

If this next HC search goes south, the rebuild flames out, etc. etc. I'll have my popcorn ready. I mean I really can't lose. Nothing like a pro sports team shiit show am I right?
Now if they do well with the HC, draft etc. and climb out of the hole even better. However if they continue to be a grand royal dumpster fire this should be a lot fun seeing what the intellectual braintrust of Cal and Janice do. Who goes? Who stays? Who comes in? Sell the team?

If this next HC search goes south, the rebuild flames out, etc. etc. I'll have my popcorn ready. I mean I really can't lose. Nothing like a pro sports team shiit show am I right?
Now if they do well with the HC, draft etc. and climb out of the hole even better. However if they continue to be a grand royal dumpster fire this should be a lot fun seeing what the intellectual braintrust of Cal and Janice do. Who goes? Who stays? Who comes in? Sell the team?

Yep, this is a win/ win.

If Caserio gets this right then the team should be good for a long time.

If he doesn't then most likely the McNair's sell the team.

Yep, this is a win/ win.

If Caserio gets this right then the team should be good for a long time.

Its why I continue to stick around and see how it plays out. In the end its just entertainment. I don't buy gear and I don't go to the games (in AZ) so I have no more invested then watching the games, the draft and shooting the shiit on these boards. Hopefully spring training is right around the corner.

Demeco will never work for the Texans org

Those kinds of things happen when you sue corps. Mayo? I thought you guys were against all things Foxboro? What's different about Mayo? Would you like some mustard with that Mayo?
IMO I think it was DeMeco and Mayo, and a few others, made the decision, not interested, and it was not so much a Texans ringmaster making that decision. This is based on none of them having been to clown school and therefore are not qualified to perform in this circus. This goes best with sauerkraut.

Let's make it clear..............Janice McNair is the co-founder, senior chairman and current owner of the Houston Texans, ... Cal is the current CEO and day-to-day operating head of the franchise. But his mother serves as principal owner and thus represents the Texans at owners’ meetings............No major decisions regarding the franchise is ever made without her input and approval.

My hunter friends tell me that during hunting season the mama deer will send their baby deer out first into clearings and the feeders.

They figure it's a natural selection sort of thing, being that mama deer can make more babies and the baby deer can't survive on its own anyway.

So is this what Janice is doing to her dolt of son here? Hide behind her Scrooge McDuckNair billions while her son and his trusty sidekick take the public beating?

Poor Cal is just a little innocent Bambi in all of this nonsense. Should I feel sorry for him now? lol

-------------------------------------------------

Oh, and an apparently necessary disclaimer for the general population, let me pop your football bubble that we're in here. It's just entertainment! lol :pop:

You owe Bud Adams an apology.

lol, nah I'll pass. He and Bob Lanier murdered the Houston Oilers, so let them both rot in h-e-double-hockey sticks. lol

That said, as much as a jackass as Bud was, at least he was self-made and would never allow the nonsense we've seen here lately (at least the Bud that moved to Tennessee, early Bud was pretty bad).

Yes. He’s a tabloid journalist chasing clicks. See: His Derrick reporting at the trade deadline.

Funny thing is he'd not only agree with you, but also tell you that he's just entertainment. He calls himself an idiot.

At least he's not self-flattering like all the talking heads on ESPN and NFLN. Those guys are just as full of crap but they take themselves seriously on top of it all.

There's so damn much misinformation in this thread that I don't know where to begin to try and untangle it and get to the truth.

Most of you have bought into the Houston sports radio story of things and really, none of its factual, they are just playing 6 degrees of bacon - Texan's version with a really terrible outcome.

No, the team isn't helping itself with coaching hires like Culley and McCown but that's really irrelevant to the story that's been fabricated.

Sports talk is just giving the people what they want at the end of the day. I don't hear any fans calling to defend this franchise.

The inherent thing is that the Texans known results speak for themselves. Reality is aligning with the speculation, and there's not much out there to refute any of it.

The honeymoon is long over and folks are realizing that these owners are incompetent. It's a results-driven business at the end of the day.

I don't believe that for a second. This is a golden goose with NFL revenue sharing. They could lose for the next two decades and still come out making hundreds of millions.

Ole Show lied yesterday lol

Its almost like he and Stoerner make it up as they go along. Never thought Id say this, but I miss Ted Johnson.

The sad part of all of this is Caserio is good with talent. I am excited to see what he can do with a full draft. However his willingness to see things in Cully and whoever comes in next has a whole lot of Easterby stink on it. His hands on approach may also be a huge turn-off to anyone even if Easterby wasn't here. This is a much bigger mess as a whole. I'm stating to think just firing Easterby isn't enough.

My hunter friends tell me that during hunting season the mama deer will send their baby deer out first into clearings and the feeders.

They figure it's a natural selection sort of thing, being that mama deer can make more babies and the baby deer can't survive on its own anyway.

So is this what Janice is doing to her dolt of son here? Hide behind her Scrooge McDuckNair billions while her son and his trusty sidekick take the public beating?

Poor Cal is just a little innocent Bambi in all of this nonsense. Should I feel sorry for him now? lol

-------------------------------------------------

Oh, and an apparently necessary disclaimer for the general population, let me pop your football bubble that we're in here. It's just entertainment! lol :pop:

I know she's a billionaire and everything, so maybe she has a time machine or a fountain of youth or whatever billionaires do, but if mama McNair thinks she can make more little Cals, I've got some news for her...

Introducing the head coach of your Houston Texans - Josh McCulley. The last time this team hired a woefully inexperienced man as head coach, it was a wildly successful decision. Let’s do again

cal McNumbnuts is responsible for firing Fat Travolta, Jack Osteensterby and Nick the worse case scenario Caserio. We are a laughingstock among laughingstocks.

we are without a doubt a twinky made of browns, wrapped in a Jaguar and sprinkled with Lion dust.

Introducing the head coach of your Houston Texans - Josh McCulley. The last time this team hired a woefully inexperienced man as head coach, it was a wildly successful decision. Let’s do again

cal McNumbnuts is responsible for firing Fat Travolta, Jack Osteensterby and Nick the worse case scenario Caserio. We are a laughingstock among laughingstocks.

we are without a doubt a twinky made of browns, wrapped in a Jaguar and sprinkled with Lion dust.
Culley was a more experienced hire than McCown..that is scary

Somebody's misdated their article then.

Josh McCown gets another interview with Texans for coaching job
Brooks Kubena, Staff writer
Jan. 28, 2022Updated: Jan. 28, 2022 1:36 p.m.

The Texans have brought former NFL quarterback Josh McCown in for a second interview for their vacant head coaching position, NFL Network reported Friday.

It is the third time the franchise has interviewed McCown dating back to last year, and his second interview indicates he’s a finalist for the job.

McCown, 42, retired from playing after 17 NFL seasons, and, although he’s never coached at the collegiate or professional level, he remains close with executive vice president of operations Jack Easterby from spending the 2020 season with the Texans.

Wasn't McCown the one that turned down an assistant HC job last year because he didn't want to be away from his family?
I don't think he has what it takes, the drive, the commitment to be a coach at any level. I mean I don't blame him for feeling that way, but you can't have both and be successful in this league.

I really don't care who they hire at this point as long as they don't bring OB back.
I'm here for it. The weirdness, stupidity... All of it.
They nail this draft and I might take my Texans blanket back from my dog.
I don't know... taking OB back would.... ALMOST be worth it from a comedic standpoint. I mean to see the stupidity go full circle..... a thing of incompetent beauty at its purest form.

As a fan... I think it would be the last straw. The one thing that made me walk away from professional football til the end of my days. That or they would have to lock me in a padded room.

Who on this board has said they are expecting the 2022 season to be much better than 2021. I think it's been pretty much unanimous that 2022 would still be a rebuilding year. Maybe some have been thinking we might begin to see results in 2023, but 2024, year four of the rebuild, is probably the more reasonable timeline to expect the team to start challenging for the division.

By the 2024 season, McCown will have had two years experience and growth as a HC. So if McCown becomes the HC then it should be clear that Caserio's plan is to groom the team's HC, as well as the team, into the vision the organization has in mind.

I believe we all, or at least most of us, believe Caserio will direct and be in charge of the draft. Right now it appears Lovie will be back for another year and in charge of the defense. So a McCown hire will need to be supplemented by the hire of a strong offensive coordinator who will implement the style of offense that Caserio wants the team to have.

So, given these points, what responsibilities will McCown, as a HC, have that might be effected by his inexperience. He's 42 yrs old and by all accounts has good people skills. He has a strong NFL level of football experience, as well as experience in different styles of offense.

Given that we all believe that Caserio is shaping the organization into one where the GM has primary control, then I don't see much downside to McCown's hiring and letting him grow into the position.

As I previously stated, I will be OK with this move and will be looking forward to the off season and the draft.

So, what were your expectations, a month ago, for the 2022 season and with a McCown hire, will this change your expectations? Why?

McCown might surprise y'all.

Dude's been around a lot of different football people. He's played a lot of NFL football. He held down a job for a long time. He's got to know something, right?

I think most are looking for more than knowing something.

I mean, we thought Urban Meyer would know more than something and we saw how that turned out.

Hiring somebody with less experience and knowledge coaching and expecting a better outcome isn’t logical to me.

And just cause the bar was set so low with Culley and Meyer that doesn’t mean that better success than them is an achievement.

Next year we aren’t doing much. But the following we should be competing for a wild card or division championship.

Note I said competing. Similar to Raider and Chargers this year. If we were the Chargers I wouldn’t say blow it up. I would say you met the definition of competing. (But that team under achieved.) You got another year.

Back