Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

Josh McCown is not qualified to be a head coach of an NFL team right now. Enough with the leader of men propaganda for a back up quarterback.
Reread his post. He did not say he supported McCown as HC. QB coach is the position where he should begin his coaching career.

It's reported McCown was interviewed. It's only click bait to infer it was for HC. No one really knows what he was interviewed for.

The main reason I think Gannon is the front runner: Scouting experience.

While i’d prefer an offensive minded HC, there is something to be said for a coach with scouting experience. The ability to convey to the scouts exactly what you’re looking for increases the chances of the players being brought in developing and being successful.

I suspect Gannon will be the HC here and hope for the best!

While Flores also has the scouting experience, Gannon does not come with the Mulughetta baggage.

I have been stewing on the whole Josh for head coach angle and trying to see how crazy like a fox or crazy it is. Obviously he would be a steal as a QB coach, but head coach… That is what they said the interview is for, but of course Casserio could be using this as a chance to check in on some potential staff

On the plus side, dude has 20 years across many teams and offenses and was a student of the game and leader in the rooms. He has watched more film then many of the hot 30 something coaches and seen more coaching styles, offenses etc. then many of them I bet, So from a what works on the field and game day intelligence, he should be ok and grow in the job (better suited than BOB or Culley). Relating to players, big check mark. QB’s are as close to the head coach as any player so he should also see a fair amount of up close on that too. I don’t believe what makes a good coordinator makes a good head coach, so not sure I am hung up on not being a OC or such. He has plenty of experience with the media as well.

On the down side, he missed all the BS coaches have to deal with in the back room, logistics, setting up the draft with the GM, self scouting, and most importantly building a diverse and strong staff. I suspect there would be some good coaches that may not buy in to him jumping the line, some may know and respect him, and some may just want their shot. Maybe if Pep and Lovie are cool with it, that could work, but not sure of that dynamic. I guess as Romeo rides off into the sunset, Lovie could help him with this stuff, hell even Culley could maybe help with NON GAME DAY stuff if he still is on payroll. I am worried as being a recent player he could be hard on players that need discipline or cut.

Anyway, I see it for a travelling QB more than Hines Ward or somebody that was in the WR room and mainly on one team. High risk for sure, but he is seen as a future coach around the league. If it was my money I try to get him on the staff and hire someone safer like Gannon or O’connell, but without being able to talk to them and see HC attributes, I don’t ever feel like I can see hire that great coordinator. Hell Demeco is killing it, and I think he is a leader of men, is he also a leader of an organization, don’t know without a chat. Too bad they don’t post the actual interviews, then we could all have a better informed opinion!

So Josh McCown is the only individual to get 2 interviews with the Texans. Not 1, but 2. Its not a coincidence when the 3rd string qb gets a 30 minute interview and speaks about the vision of the team when Esterby was the interim gm. Then the only candidate who wouldn't fire him is hired. C'mon bro, you cant be that dense.

You're worrying over nothing, McCown isn't going to be the next HC of the Texans. This is nothing more than the media getting the Easterby crowd all riled up. Hopefully this interview will lead to Pep becoming the new OC and McCown becoming the QB coach. Mills couldn't find 2 better guys to help in his development. IMHO

I have been stewing on the whole Josh for head coach angle and trying to see how crazy like a fox or crazy it is. Obviously he would be a steal as a QB coach, but head coach… That is what they said the interview is for, but of course Casserio could be using this as a chance to check in on some potential staff

On the plus side, dude has 20 years across many teams and offenses and was a student of the game and leader in the rooms. He has watched more film then many of the hot 30 something coaches and seen more coaching styles, offenses etc. then many of them I bet, So from a what works on the field and game day intelligence, he should be ok and grow in the job (better suited than BOB or Culley). Relating to players, big check mark. QB’s are as close to the head coach as any player so he should also see a fair amount of up close on that too. I don’t believe what makes a good coordinator makes a good head coach, so not sure I am hung up on not being a OC or such. He has plenty of experience with the media as well.

On the down side, he missed all the BS coaches have to deal with in the back room, logistics, setting up the draft with the GM, self scouting, and most importantly building a diverse and strong staff. I suspect there would be some good coaches that may not buy in to him jumping the line, some may know and respect him, and some may just want their shot. Maybe if Pep and Lovie are cool with it, that could work, but not sure of that dynamic. I guess as Romeo rides off into the sunset, Lovie could help him with this stuff, hell even Culley could maybe help with NON GAME DAY stuff if he still is on payroll. I am worried as being a recent player he could be hard on players that need discipline or cut.

Anyway, I see it for a travelling QB more than Hines Ward or somebody that was in the WR room and mainly on one team. High risk for sure, but he is seen as a future coach around the league. If it was my money I try to get him on the staff and hire someone safer like Gannon or O’connell, but without being able to talk to them and see HC attributes, I don’t ever feel like I can see hire that great coordinator. Hell Demeco is killing it, and I think he is a leader of men, is he also a leader of an organization, don’t know without a chat. Too bad they don’t post the actual interviews, then we could all have a better informed opinion!

My biggest downside would be the staff he would be able to hire. But the more I think about it, he's played for 12 teams in the NFL, he's bound to have run across some great coaches that would be wiling to come down to Kirby. When you play for 20 yrs, you should be connected to old and young coaches alike. If McCown was hired, (Not gonna happen) I'm hoping Lovie/Pep stay on as OC/DC. That would solve alot of these issues.

Demeco will be a HC soon. Most likely in this coaching cycle. I would imagine he's going to be a great interview. He wont be hired by the Texans most likely due to the previous lawsuit brought against the Texans org. I stand as good of a chance of being the next HC of the Texans as he does.

My biggest downside would be the staff he would be able to hire. But the more I think about it, he's played for 12 teams in the NFL, he's bound to have run across some great coaches that would be wiling to come down to Kirby. When you play for 20 yrs, you should be connected to old and young coaches alike. If McCown was hired, (Not gonna happen) I'm hoping Lovie/Pep stay on as OC/DC. That would solve alot of these issues.

Demeco will be a HC soon. Most likely in this coaching cycle. I would imagine he's going to be a great interview. He wont be hired by the Texans most likely due to the previous lawsuit brought against the Texans org. I stand as good of a chance of being the next HC of the Texans as he does.
You are probably correct about the lawsuit being a barrier, though it was needed to push ownership to exorcise our hungry turf monster.. A guy can hope, right?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

High risk for sure, but he is seen as a future coach around the league.

Who is seeing him as a future coach around the league? I don’t believe he’s been interviewed by a single team other than the Texans.

And if he has coaching aspirations, why isn’t he on a staff somewhere learning the ropes instead of volunteering at a North Carolina high school? And not even a HC at that.

Hell, I’d take a guy who’s been coaching for 27 years never being more than a position coach over that.

Maybe.

Plenty of young head coaches got opportunities early and have done well. Just like many have gotten the same chance and flopped. It’s a crap shoot either way. Ryans is intriguing but no connection to preacher man ensures he is not a candidate.

Aside from the Easterby nonsense I agree. But lots of people here ARE clamoring for Meco b/c of their fond memories of him as a player & his connection to this franchise in that capacity & that doesn’t really have anything to do with his viability as a serious candidate either.

I’m not saying that Meco isn’t a viable candidate……but if we’re using the same criteria, he’s only been a DC for 1 year & most of the players he’s using Saleh used and had the same type of success….& we see how he’s been faring with the Jets. So the logic of D’qing other candidates who have patriot/Easterby connections shouldnt take away from their legitimate candidacy.

I haven't paid any attention to Joe Lombardi as a candidate for HC. But in this morning's Chronicle, Brooks Kubena had a full page on the candidates already interviewed, and I was really taken with Lombardi.

Here's just a little bit:

"The Texans could overhaul a run-oriented offensive philosophy...(Lombardi) is calling plays from the front lines of modern NFL offensives...and has constructed his own playbook filled with West Coast route trees, pre-snap motions and up-tempo offensive schemes. In other words, a style that more closely resembles what the Texans used in the second half of the regular season finale against the Titans...".

Of the candidates with an offensive background, Lombardi is now at the top of my list and is my overall preference. If the Texans go with a defensive candidate, Jonathan Gannon remains my choice. And I'm liking Josh McCown as QB coach, with Pep Hamilton promoted to OC.

An already good defense got better under Ryans this season. Saleh deserved his shot with the Jets. I think Ryans is a good coach who is rising quickly.

If we pick someone else, I'm not going to poopoo the new HC as long as the hire makes sense. Lots of coaches deserving of their shot. DeMeco Ryans is just my preference. Mike McDaniel would be a good hire as well.

Tats false. The 49ers were just in the SB in 2019 primarily b/c of their defense. 2020 they were devastated by injuries. So they didn’t “get better” they just returned to form.

An already good defense got better under Ryans this season. Saleh deserved his shot with the Jets. I think Ryans is a good coach who is rising quickly.
San Francisco's defense dipped last season because of injuries. A rebound was expected.

I'm not down on Demeco, loved him as a player. I don't know him as a coach. Shanahan thought enough to promote him & Demeco didn't screw it up... so I guess that's good.

If the Preacher was making the final call McCown would be the hire. That ain't happening.
I'm not making any declarations involving the Kirby Cabal. The fact that we're even having this conversation (2 years in a row) shows just how dysfunctional it is over there.
I don’t believe he’s been interviewed by a single team other than the Texans.
It's reported that McCown had a "conversation" with the Jags. Whatever that means.

I'm not making any declarations involving the Kirby Cabal. The fact that we're even having this conversation (2 years in a row) shows just how dysfunctional it is over there.

It's reported that McCown had a "conversation" with the Jags. Whatever that means.

To me it just shows how much fans are buying into whatever the media tells them. Even though since Caserio's been down on Kirby after seeing the draft and FA that things are obviously being done differently than they were being done when BOB/Easterby was in charge.

Tats false. The 49ers were just in the SB in 2019 primarily b/c of their defense. 2020 they were devastated by injuries. So they didn’t “get better” they just returned to form.

San Francisco's defense dipped last season because of injuries. A rebound was expected.

I'm not down on Demeco, loved him as a player. I don't know him as a coach. Shanahan thought enough to promote him & Demeco didn't screw it up... so I guess that's good.

I'm definitely fond of Ryans bc of his time here, which is also how we know his character, work ethic, and leadership qualities. I'm not blind to that at all.

I also know that if we built the pieces, the defense has a good chance to be good to great. The 49ers defense has been good for a while...that shouldn't be a strike against him. They were elite this year, and in the playoffs, the defense has carried the team and handled two of the top offenses in the NFL...with Ryans at the helm.

As has been pointed out by others, the lawsuit will certainly prevent him from interviewing here, but I think he has a chance to be a good HC for another team. I didn't consider the lawsuit, so it's moot now anyway

Luckily there are a handful of other promising candidates that we can get.

Sorry, I can read. I can put 2 and 2 together. I'm not one of the 3 blind mice.

Dysfunction is what I see and what it adds up to.

There's a big difference between being a blind mouse and being in denial. Are you saying after the last draft and FA things aren't being done differently? When is the last time the Texans org signed 30 FA's to 1-2 yr deals in 1 offseason? Just because you dont like the way Caserio is rebuilding the team (I do) doesn't mean he's not doing things differently.

The Niners have done a fantastic job the past 3 weeks vs. top QBs (Stafford, Prescott, Rodgers). DeMeco is getting it done and should be considered a rising star. It absolutely sucks that the Texans can't get an interview.

The 49ers are the type of team to have around a QB like Mills. Strong defense and special teams. Other facets as well such as key role players.

That would make add to the case for a HC DeMeco.

The Niners have done a fantastic job the past 3 weeks vs. top QBs (Stafford, Prescott, Rodgers). DeMeco is getting it done and should be considered a rising star. It absolutely sucks that the Texans can't get an interview.
This could be more of a DeMeco decision than it is a Texans decision.

Got it. Texans should definitely look into him. I'm just saying a lot of work went into building that defense that Demeco wasn't part of. Things that we would expect him to do here on both sides of the ball.

Similar to O'Brien who did a good job when he's been installed into a turnkey offense. Expecting him to be able to install fundamental systems, to build an offense... regardless how much talent they bring in, was a stretch & beyond his ability.

Ryans has been there since Shanahan and Lynch took over.
But they weren't asking for his opinion, they were asking Saleh. Saleh was making all the decisions. Hopefully Demeco was shoulder to shoulder with him, understood the issues, & would have made the same decisions.

But we don't know. Hopefully, they can find out in an interview if they ever sit down with him.

How long has Bieniemy been in KC?

Aside from the Easterby nonsense I agree. But lots of people here ARE clamoring for Meco b/c of their fond memories of him as a player & his connection to this franchise in that capacity & that doesn’t really have anything to do with his viability as a serious candidate either.

I’m not saying that Meco isn’t a viable candidate……but if we’re using the same criteria, he’s only been a DC for 1 year & most of the players he’s using Saleh used and had the same type of success….& we see how he’s been faring with the Jets. So the logic of D’qing other candidates who have patriot/Easterby connections shouldnt take away from their legitimate candidacy.
Meco isn’t my preferred candidate but he’s no different than any other option they’ve been linked to. It’s fair for some on here to prefer him.

Hell Vrabel was a trash DC and got promoted to HC quickly and I’m sure Titans don’t regret it

If some are going to defend their interest in Josh mcCown than it’s fair to say Demeco is a better option.

Being a coordinator and putting together a great offense or defense, knowing the X's and O's, isn't the same as having what it takes to be a HC and be in charge of everything. I think Bieniemy, with all the interviews he's done, has shown he's not ready to handle all of that responsibility, which is why he's still not been hired as a HC. He might be great with the X's and O's, but a HC has a ton more on his plate.

I don't know if DeMeco is there yet either, but you never know until you interview him and unfortunately, that doesn't look to be a possibility in Houston. Just another example of the Texans taking people completely off the board for whatever their reasons are.

Last edited:
Meco isn’t my preferred candidate but he’s no different than any other option they’ve been linked to. It’s fair for some on here to prefer him.

Hell Vrabel was a trash DC and got promoted to HC quickly and I’m sure Titans don’t regret it

If some are going to defend their interest in Josh mcCown than it’s fair to say Demeco is a better option.

I haven’t seen anyone that has said McCown is their preferred option…this goes back to Culley for me. You can’t claim experience is a big determination in why he wasn’t a good candidate…then turn around and advocate for a guy with only 1 year experience in a leadership role…that’s basically 0 experience too.

I haven’t seen anyone that has said McCown is their preferred option…this goes back to Culley for me. You can’t claim experience is a big determination in why he wasn’t a good candidate…then turn around and advocate for a guy with only 1 year experience in a leadership role…that’s basically 0 experience too.
The main argument against Culley was that he had decades of coaching experience but had never been trusted with a leadership role beyond passing game coordinator.

That's very different than someone quickly gaining trust as a leader, having a good year as a coordinator, then getting snatched up by a team willing to take a chance on potential.

Was Vrabel bad? Have we had an avg defense since he left? Maybe a team could see past his limitations (the Texans) & saw a good coach.

I understand people thinking Coordinator is a stepping stone for HC, but it's a totally different job.

& i get it. 94% of HCs were coordinators before they were head coaches. But all the failed HCs (except Culley) were coordinators too.

The main argument against Culley was that he had decades of coaching experience but had never been trusted with a leadership role beyond passing game coordinator.

That's very different than someone quickly gaining trust as a leader, having a good year as a coordinator, then getting snatched up by a team willing to take a chance on potential.

“trusted” is a tricky word as it applies to Culley. The NFL wasn’t where it is now with the Rooney rule and whatnot for much of his early coaching life & career. Aside from that, I know people try to make light of his of Asst. HC title, but he had it at 2 different stops under some very highly regarded HC’s. That should count for something when it comes to being placed in a position of leadership.

Fact is too, NFL owners are still in the next great young mind and Culley basically got passed over b/c he wasnt young enough…not b/c of his experience. If he’s younger, he almost certainly gets at least 1 more year here…him getting the axe after 1 year is ageism at its core.

Demeco Ryans
2017 SF Quality Control Coach
2018-2020 ILB Coach
2021- Defensive Coordinator

He is a rising coach it wouldn't hurt to interview him and you don't know what he brings to the table if you don't talk to him.

My top five preferred HC candidates are:

1. Daboll
2. O’Connell
3. Gannon
4. Byron Leftwich (Now that TB is out of the playoffs)
5. Demeco Ryans.

I’d be happy with any of these guys landing the HC gig here in Houston, and hope Caserio scratches the McCown idea! Not gonna hold my breath though.

If Sean Payton is available, but wants control of his coaching staff and the game day roster. Would Caserio pass?

He's under contract through 2022. What would you give up to get him?

Most coaches get to choose their own staff & final say on GameDay roster just makes sense, I'd be shocked if Caserio would have a problem with either.
Early discussion is SP is retiring from coaching to go into the broadcaster's booth to replace Troy Aikman who may be leaving Fox to do Amazon Thursday Night football with Al Michaels.

He's under contract through 2022. What would you give up to get him?

Most coaches get to choose their own staff & final say on GameDay roster just makes sense, I'd be shocked if Caserio would have a problem with either.

I would trade Watson for Payton and two firsts.

Or something like that. I am bad at this.

Reread his post. He did not say he supported McCown as HC. QB coach is the position where he should begin his coaching career.

It's reported McCown was interviewed. It's only click bait to infer it was for HC. No one really knows what he was interviewed for.
Wait a minute. The Texans announced on their official Twitter page that they were interviewing McCown for HC. Where is the click bait? They even have a HC tracker on their website:
Head Coach Tracker | HoustonTexans.com

Ok, hadn't see
Wait a minute. The Texans announced on their official Twitter page that they were interviewing McCown for HC. Where is the click bait? They even have a HC tracker on their website:

OK, hadn't seen that posted. I don't do Twitter or any social media. So it may not be click bait but I'm not sure I believe it. Hiring someone with zero coaching experience at any level, to the highest coaching level in the sport?

Ok, hadn't see
OK, hadn't seen that posted. I don't do Twitter or any social media. So it may not be click bait but I'm not sure I believe it. Hiring someone with zero coaching experience at any level, to the highest coaching level in the sport?
Forget social media. Exactly what don't you believe? It's on the official Houston Texans website? See the link below. As far as your question. That's why the media and fans are either blaming Easterby for getting him an interview and/or laughing at the Texans.

Last edited:
Back