Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

Maybe if you look at the new NFL rules on interviewing, things can make a little more sense to you...They have also encourage the interviews specifically of ex-NFL players.
There have to be over 20 current NFL coaches that played in the league who are or have been coordinators. So no, these rules do not help me make sense of the McCown or Ward interviews.

Right now I'd be tickled pink if they hired any one of the other 4 they met with just to put the Ward and McCown crap behind us.

‘I don't have a scheme.’ And I believe that you have to be adaptable.
Well, that could be a problem.

“But the first thing is we've got to figure out what our players can do, and then we've got to put them in those situations as much as possible to utilize their strengths. The main thing for us is it's not what we play, it's how we play.
That's something the previous regime never did, so that's something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think McCown will be a good coach. He’s always been great in the locker room and good with players. When he was here in Tampa that was the positive that he brought. Some in the media here commented that he’s a better coach during the week than a player on the field. On the field he was a poor man’s Fitzmagic. I always thought his best role was backing up and mentoring a young QB with potential.

That said, he needs to be hired as a QB coach, pay his dues there and if he does well a promotion or hire somewhere else as an OC. If that works out well consideration as a HC. However, straight to HC is probably not going to be good for either party.

The Preacher Man, The File Clerk and The Game Boy convene in the Kirby board room. The preacher and the clerk tell gamer that they have found their guy to be HC, Josh McCown. Game Boy ask, how much is this going to cost? Preacher and clerk tell gamer it's only a 5 year $40MM guaranteed contract but don't worry it's not part of salary cap. So, Game Boy says, oh, OK, sign him up.

Yes, the Texans did overpay but that is because the The Preacher Man and Josh are very good friends.

Get back to me when McCown is hired as HC.

Did you have the same issue when Caserio interviewed Hines Ward?

Caserio's just doing his due diligence. A good thing, IHMO

I think McCown will be a good coach. He’s always been great in the locker room and good with players. When he was here in Tampa that was the positive that he brought. Some in the media here commented that he’s a better coach during the week than a player on the field. On the field he was a poor man’s Fitzmagic. I always thought his best role was backing up and mentoring a young QB with potential.

That said, he needs to be hired as a QB coach, pay his dues there and if he does well a promotion or hire somewhere else as an OC. If that works out well consideration as a HC. However, straight to HC is probably not going to be good for either party.
Spot on, as usual. I like McCown, too. He comes off as a genuine leader (unlike the rest of the cast on Kirby). But if I'm a head coach for the Texans, how do I feel about a guy on my staff who has been pushed hard for the head coaching spot by a major player in the organization? Do I want that breathing down my neck during a rebuild? With an organization that has an itchy trigger finger?

McCown deserves a shot as an assistant in the NFL. I think he will be successful. But right now, right here is not the time and place.

I agree wto ith @Hooken Horns. A "little more" season would help make sense. Here is McClain re. McCown making somewhat of an argument that McCown has had significant experience as a proxy QB coach, which is a coach that must understand the defense as well as the offense. If McCown gets the HC position, I may believe that he is not as ready as more experienced candidates, but I will not give into the inevitability that he will be a bust. He does have a sharp football mind and could just surprise the heck out of some people with an infusion of new blood into an apparently haplesss team.

McClain: Why the Texans are considering Josh McCown, another potential head coach with no experience
John McClain, Staff writer
Jan. 21, 2022Updated: Jan. 21, 2022 3:17 p.m.

Hiring a head coach with no experience at the college and pro level is preposterous.

Once longtime NFL quarterback Josh McCown enters the coaching profession as an offensive assistant or assistant position coach and works his way up to being a head coach, he might turn out to be Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichick or Don Shula.

I’ve heard nothing but glowing reports about McCown’s potential as a coach from those who worked with or covered him during his career with 12 organizations. He’s an impressive communicator and commands respect, but McCown needs seasoning, not a straight-to-the-top free ticket provided by Jack Easterby and Nick Caserio.

Late in the 2020 season, when McCown was on the Texans roster from Nov. 7 through March 1, several members of the organization, including two players, told me how close he and Easterby had become. They were BFFs.

They told me Easterby and McCown had bonded over religion and to not be surprised if Easterby tried to convince the new general manager and the McNair family to hire McCown as the new head coach.

I ridiculed that idea. No way, too outrageous, even for the Texans. But I was warned to just wait and see. Lo and behold, McCown got the interview. Man, was I wrong!

After Caserio was hired, Easterby convinced him to interview McCown for the head-coaching vacancy (that eventually went to David Culley). I was told they offered him a job coaching but that he was going to retire to watch his kids play football.

McCown had volunteered for several years at a North Carolina high school before returning to Texas, where he grew up in Jacksonville and played at SMU and Sam Houston State.

The current coaching search conducted by Caserio and Easterby — with Caserio having final say on the hire as well as all personnel decisions — is intriguing. They haven’t interviewed anyone with more than one year as a coordinator.
Brian Flores, who should be the leading candidate, was never a coordinator with New England. At least he had three years as a head coach at Miami to help evaluate him.

McCown has no experience beyond the high school level. Hines Ward, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, has one year as a college position coach after two years as a Jets’ offensive assistant.

Joe Lombardi (Chargers), Jonathan Gannon (Eagles) and Kevin O’Connell (Rams) have been coordinators for one season.
It’s almost as if lacking years of experience as a coordinator is a prerequisite to getting interviewed. Maybe they’ll consider more candidates with more experience as coordinators.

Now, let’s consider McCown because, obviously, Caserio and Easterby are. They’ve interviewed him a second time, and if he gets the job, it’ll tell us this was the plan all along, that Culley was only keeping the seat warm for McCown.

It would be ridiculous for Caserio and Easterby to hire McCown as the head coach. Adding him as an offensive coach under the new head coach would be a shrewd move.

Let’s look back at McCown’s career to see what the Texans would be getting if he returns to Houston.

As the Cardinals’ third-round pick in 2002, he played four years at Arizona, his longest tenure with any team. He also spent time with the Lions, Raiders, Dolphins, Panthers, Bears, Bucs, 49ers, Browns, Jets and Eagles before the Texans signed him off Philadelphia’s practice squad in 2020.

According to those close to the teams he played for, McCown mentored Sam Darnold in 2018 when he was so impressive as a rookie, and Carson Wentz in 2019, when he produced 4,000 yards, 27 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

In his brief time with the Texans, they were impressed with the way McCown worked with Deshaun Watson, who played the best season of his career.

Not only is McCown experienced working with NFL quarterbacks, but he’s also, smart, perceptive, insightful, fair and communicates well with everyone. He’s got to be intelligent considering how many systems he’s had to learn.

McCown also is known for being one tough hombre. At Cleveland, he suffered a broken left collarbone but finished the game. In the playoffs after the 2019 season, he replaced the injured Wentz and played the rest of the Seattle game, despite suffering an injury that tore his hamstring off the bone.

When McCown retired from the Jets, he was briefly hired by ESPN as an analyst, but then the Eagles offered him a job. After the 2019 season, they offered him a coaching job, but he still wanted to play. At 40, he was signed to their practice squad and stayed there until Easterby, the Texans’ interim GM, offered him a spot on the roster.

If McCown is ready to begin his coaching career, he can bypass college and go straight to the NFL. He’ll have multiple opportunities, including the Texans. Fans should be excited to have McCown on the offensive staff and interested in watching him grow into a head-coaching candidate.

But if McCown is offered the Texans’ head-coaching job, he’s got to take it, right? And if he does, Caserio and Easterby will be so far out on a limb it’ll be bent to the breaking point.

I will be the contrarian on McCown. As long as Easter Bunny is still employed, I definitely do not want McCown on this staff. The Preacher will do everything possible to undermine the new HC. Last thing needed is to have the HC looking in the mirror every night for stab wounds in his back.

if by some miracle the Preacher is let go, I would have a different POV but let Josh start his coaching career elsewhere away from his BFF.

That said, he needs to be hired as a QB coach, pay his dues there and if he does well a promotion or hire somewhere else as an OC. If that works out well consideration as a HC.
If the Texans want McCown I wish they would just pull the trigger & move forward.

If it's what they want to do, it's what they want to do.

I don't think they're any less rational than we are though, so I think people are rushing to judgement just because he's had two interviews in two years.

& just because they did something just as ludicrous last year with David Culley.

If these people wanted to make McCown the HC they'd have made him the HC. They've never seemed to care about anyone's opinion before.

If the Texans want McCown I wish they would just pull the trigger & move forward.

If it's what they want to do, it's what they want to do.

I don't think they're any less rational than we are though, so I think people are rushing to judgement just because he's had two interviews in two years.

& just because they did something just as ludicrous last year with David Culley.

If these people wanted to make McCown the HC they'd have made him the HC. They've never seemed to care about anyone's opinion before.
What rational thinking LED you to believe that they are no less rational than we are?

I've seen players go from retirement to GM with none of this second guessing. I wouldn't be shocked at all if McCown were to come here & lead the Texans to their most successful era ever.

I'm pretty sure there was some second guessing. I mean, I was second guessing the Lynch move and there have to be a helluva lot of Niners fans who felt more strongly about that than I did.

I will be the contrarian on McCown. As long as Easter Bunny is still employed, I definitely do not want McCown on this staff. The Preacher will do everything possible to undermine the new HC. Last thing needed is to have the HC looking in the mirror every night for stab wounds in his back.

if by some miracle the Preacher is let go, I would have a different POV but let Josh start his coaching career elsewhere away from his BFF.
I don't think it really matters who they hire as head coach because the File Clerk and the Preacher Man are the Defacto head coach and assistant head coach. Whoever occupies the HC spot on sidelines will have the File Clerk in his ear from the coach's booth and the Preacher Man stalking his every move on the sideline. Outside of Brian Flores (who would not put up with this $hit) the Kirby Boardroom has only been interviewing the very inexperienced. Is this a sign that clowns are in short supply?

I don't think it really matters who they hire as head coach because the File Clerk and the Preacher Man are the Defacto head coach and assistant head coach. Whoever occupies the HC spot on sidelines will have the File Clerk in his ear from the coach's booth and the Preacher Man stalking his every move on the sideline. Outside of Brian Flores (who would not put up with this $hit) the Kirby Boardroom has only been interviewing the very inexperienced. Is this a sign that clowns are in short supply?

Of course you dont.

I don’t follow your logic.

The only reason McCown would have the job is because of Easterby.

Yet as soon as McCown is hired, Easterby would undermine him and would stab him in the back at any chance? For what reason and why would it benefit Easterby to do that?

This is the type of reaching to find something wrong in any type of situation to blame on Easterby.

It’s beyond logic at this point.

Yet as soon as McCown is hired, Easterby would undermine him and would stab him in the back at any chance? For what reason and why would it benefit Easterby to do that?

This is the type of reaching to find something wrong in any type of situation to blame on Easterby.

The conspiracy theorists minds are working overtime.

He means if we hire someone else and bring McCown on the offensive staff.

So based on the recent interviews for Texans HC, you're more than qualified. When is your interview?

I actually like from what I've read Gannon

I'm a Lombardi guy, but wouldn't be what I've read about O'Connell and the Rams have a pretty good track record of assistants becoming HC's.

What is really interesting is to see who is hired. If it is McCown then the base will believe Easterby is more involved just as they thought. I wonder if/when Casario's self preservation will kick in (if Easterby is really this heavy handed) Not many GMs get a third shot at the head coach. If Casario is really being forced to or chooses to throw in with Easterby then his neck is on the line as well. I'd much rather be worrying about football than all the melodrama...but here we are.

Yes. It is.
He means if McCown is on the staff of a new HC, Easterby will undermine the new HC to give McCown a shot to move up

What’s Easterby going to do? Give all the paperclips to McCown and not the HC?

Is he going to put an out of order sign on the copier so the HC can’t use it? Then remove it for everyone else?

Is he going to cut the power to mic when the HC is speaking?

The stretch some of you guys make just because of a boogie man.

What is really interesting is to see who is hired. If it is McCown then the base will believe Easterby is more involved just as they thought. I wonder if/when Casario's self preservation will kick in (if Easterby is really this heavy handed) Not many GMs get a third shot at the head coach. If Casario is really being forced to or chooses to throw in with Easterby then his neck is on the line as well. I'd much rather be worrying about football than all the melodrama...but here we are.
Is it possible that Casserio just might agree with Easterby?

Really, a bright guy who has played QB in the NFL for 20 yrs.

I really hope whoever is hired can talk McCown into becoming the QB coach and Pep becomes the OC. McCown would be a great hire. IMHO
What happened to the New England fraternity everyone was so high on just a few days ago?

you misunderstood. I was referring to Mclames idea that McCown should be added to the coaching staff, perhaps as QB coach. Whomever is the HC will be looking over his shoulder as the Preacher constantly muddies the waters and works to undermine him at every turn in hopes his bestbud and fellow prayer circle devotee McCown gets the nod in a year or two. With the Preacher in place, it’s a very toxic environment and will never lead to a consistent winner. Game boy has to grow a pair and get rid of Easter Bunny, let NC be a real GM, and get a real HC not some guy volunteering at his kids HS.

Back