Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

O'Connell OC Rams

Breer also reports that the Texans have requested an interview with O’Connell. Texans General Manager Nick Caserio worked for the Patriots when the Patriots drafted him as a quarterback in the third round of the 2008 draft.

New York may be the safest place for Watson to disappear since New York appears to be on the side of actual and alleged criminals. How far up the ladder would Watson’s alleged activities go compared to tossing folks onto Subway tracks, stabbing random folks in public, looting businesses at gun point or beating the elderly? I couldn’t imagine city leaders or their constituents offended by Watson’s arrival when they allow every actual criminal caught in the act to walk out precincts scott free. If Watson would make them winners, New York would be celebrating once again.
Or if he wouldn't make them winners, he will have wished he had gone to jail.

With Pep declining the Panthers OC interview. It could mean the Texans have let him know he’ll be getting that job or better here. The only question is when will the fans get the news as well. I suspect the Texans will wait another week or two before letting us in on their vision.
So our next HC doesn't get to hire his staff again?

I'm hoping for Ryans, Gannon or Mayo.
Acknowledging that Mayo may need some help out of the gate (Romeo), and am guessing he and Casserio would put their heads together in bringing in the right coaches to start him off, but from what I've gleaned about him, he'll put in the time, study and effort to make Houston proud.

If not Mayo, it would be nice to have one of our own come back in Ryans and be the man that gets this team up into the thin air, and I've also been impressed on what I've seen on Gannon as well. Other than Ryans, I hadn't heard of the other two until this coaching search started.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Nathaniel Hackett hasn't been mentioned.

Nathaniel Hackett, offensive coordinator, Green Bay Packers

When Hackett quietly interviewed for the Falcons’ job last year, it was a head slap moment for the rest of the league, which had spent years turning over every rock to find smart, offensive coaches but largely ignored one that had been available all along. Hackett, whom we wrote about in much more depth Thursday, has a trajectory includes massive offensive turnarounds at nearly every stop. At Syracuse, he turned a downtrodden program’s offense into one of the nation’s leaders and established quarterback Ryan Nassib as a draft prospect. In Buffalo he helped turn a sub-.500 team into a 9–7 outfit with a respectable offense, despite its lack of firepower. In Jacksonville, he designed an offense for Blake Bortles that finished fifth in points per game and sixth in yards
This guy just became my #1 candidate.

More than likely most people are going to be disappointed with the new HC hire. That is because those HCs that would not be a disappointment won't be interested in taking the Texans job. FUBAR WARNING is in EFFECT!
Prepare to be amazed

New perspective head coaches have this to look forward to. Yeah Boy, this will have them lining up! Who really fired Culley?
1642644533772.png

New perspective head coaches have this to look forward to. Yeah Boy, this will have them lining up!
View attachment 9572
So Caserio says Jack is only involved in Football Operations and logistics?!? Why is the logistics guy standing next to the HC listening in during a game?!? So much for the boundaries you speak of Nick!
I was a big fan of Caserio's, but I'm not so sure anymore. He was talking about honesty and being truthful in his 610 interview, maybe he needs to look in the mirror! I hope this photo was photo shopped because if not, Caserio is as much a liar as anyone and everyone else. He can go back to N.E. if that's the case!

So Caserio says Jack is only involved in Football Operations and logistics?!? Why is the logistics guy standing next to the HC listening in during a game?!? So much for the boundaries you speak of Nick!
I was a big fan of Caserio's, but I'm not so sure anymore. He was talking about honesty and being truthful in his 610 interview, maybe he needs to look in the mirror! I hope this photo was photo shopped because if not, Caserio is as much a liar as anyone and everyone else. He can go back to N.E. if that's the case!
They talked about that photo on 610 months ago. I don’t remember the game, but they said if you were watching, Easterby was talking to a player. This was pregame Just before they go into the locker room.

Culley & I think the ST coach were walking into the tunnel. They happened to walk past Easterby & someone did a screenshot.

It’s not “photoshopped” but it is misleading

They talked about that photo on 610 months ago. I don’t remember the game, but they said if you were watching, Easterby was talking to a player. This was pregame Just before they go into the locker room.

Culley & I think the ST coach were walking into the tunnel. They happened to walk past Easterby & someone did a screenshot.

Looks like the win against the Titans at the end of November. This wasn't in a tunnel, he was on the field up in Culley's sh!t with 15 seconds left in the game! Oh yeah, gotta love it!

I want Demeco Ryans as our next head coach. I think the dude has a good head on his shoulders and would make one hell of a head coach!

Looks like the win against the Titans at the end of November. This wasn't in a tunnel, he was on the field up in Culley's sh!t with 15 seconds left in the game! Oh yeah, gotta love it!

C'mon guys this is not difficult. You don't need a degree in Sherlock Holmes to figure this out. The picture gives the current record 1 - 3, so this is the 5th game of the year, Oct 10th. This concurs with 25 - 22 score and it was New England @ Houston.

Last edited:
New perspective head coaches have this to look forward to. Yeah Boy, this will have them lining up! Who really fired Culley?
View attachment 9572

You guys do realize that’s a photoshop right?

No this one is photoshopped, first you can tell because the pixel of his head doesn’t match the rest of the picture. Next look at the edges particularly around the neck and Culley’s hat, notice how sharp and bright they are compared to the rest of the photo, it’s because the head has been inserted and then the other parts, like the hat, have to superimposed on top of it. Lastly the picture used itself is bad because of the way the eyes are looking off no where which is very unnatural look.

Even if the part of Easterby wasn’t photoshopped, it is but for the sake of argument, the other part is because you see the score, time and quarter so at the very least it has been photoshopped to appear in game.

I’ve seen some really good photoshops in my career, this isn’t one of them.

Last edited:
No this one is photoshopped, first you can tell because the pixel of his head doesn’t match the rest of the picture. Next look at the edges particularly around the neck and Culley’s hat, notice how sharp and bright they are compared to the rest of the photo, it’s because the head has been inserted and then the other parts, like the hat, have to superimposed on top of it. Lastly the picture used itself is bad because of the way the eyes are looking off no where which is very unnatural look.

Even if the part of Easterby wasn’t photoshopped, it is but for the sake of argument, the other part is because you see the score, time and quarter so at the very least it has been photoshopped to appear in game.

I’m seen some really good photoshops in my career, this isn’t one of them.
Yea this one is not very good. All you have to do is zoom in and you can see the flaws

I’m seen some really good photoshops in my career, this isn’t one of them.
Don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have no clue about most of these candidates other than snippets of what I’ve read about them on social media. It’s always a crapshoot and that’s even after teams have interviewed them and scrutinized their credentials. So for me, the biggest thing I’m interested in is whether the team goes for someone who will have a strong, independent voice or someone who is again going to serve as an agent of others in the building.

Last edited:
First off, that was one long ass emotional rant you just went on. Second, what does Jack Easterby standing next to Culley on the sideline have anything to do with Nick Caserio’s truthfulness, or lack thereof?

I've said this on multiple occasions; my dream team is Luke Fickell HC
Why would Fickell leave a cush job in the 'Nati, poised to go to the Big 12 in a year and make near 8 figures, to take a job under Kyle, Nick, and Jack? Got to lower your expectations a bit.

Reactions: JB
Why would Fickell leave a cush job in the 'Nati, poised to go to the Big 12 in a year and make near 8 figures, to take a job under Kyle, Nick, and Jack? Got to lower your expectations a bit.
Fickell wouldn't, not for the Texans anyways. That's why I call it my dream team. I doubt any of my expectations would ever consider the Houston Texans. With Game Boy, File Clerk and The Preacher man as defacto head coaches of the Houston Texans I foresee 4 - 5 years of sub .500 seasons.

This is a good reminder when people wonder why are they interviewing who they may be interviewing.

This reminded me of something I posted back in 2009, after attending a Texans All Access and listening to a then 29 year old Kyle Shanahan, heading into his 2nd year as OC.

Kyle Shanahan is not ready to be a head coach. But he will be one soon, if the Texans start winning. Kyle has "it". And NFL owners love "it".

With Game Boy, File Clerk and The Preacher man as defacto head coaches of the Houston Texans I foresee 4 - 5 years of sub .500 seasons.
So given the constraints of the situation on Kirby, who would be a realistic HC hire that you see as a positive move? I'm not giving up that there may be someone out there that can turn this around. As Captain Marko Ramius once said:

"If we meet the right sort, then this will work. We get some... buckaroo...?"

No buckaroos this time around.

So given the constraints of the situation on Kirby, who would be a realistic HC hire that you see as a positive move? I'm not giving up that there may be someone out there that can turn this around. As Captain Marko Ramius once said:

I think we’ll be surprised in the end, b/c it’s going to be a Caserio guy whose probably got some history with him and will accept that the majority of the coaching staff has already been assembled. I don’t think it’ll be a tough sale based on the team’s current draft capital and the potential for more.

Earlier this week you said, "After Culley, Caserio can only upgrade. Nick has set the bar so low, this hire will easily clear it." So, I ask what have you seen that could possibly convince you that the bar will easily be cleared? If there is one thing we have learned about the File Clerk is he is a bit of a recidivist. He does not recognize his mistakes and is doomed to repeat them because he sees it as part of his process. He knows no other way.

I'm not convinced that the New England fraternity is agreeable to join the Kirby Circus. Early reports are McDaniels and Flores are not interested. Why would a promising upcoming coach like Mayo want to join the dumpster fire when better jobs available? So if the fraternity is saying the Texans are persona non grata, what does that leave? Lovie? Pep?

O'Connell has turned out my favorite by far............previous connections with the Patriots and Caserio............exposure to many teams..............and yet successfully runs a balanced WCO. Competition for his hand in marriage will be fierce.

*****************************************************************************************************

Get to know Texans HC Candidate: Rams OC Kevin O'Connell
January 20, 2022|Texans
By: Andrew Bohovich

The Houston Texans are set to Interview Los Angeles Rams Offensive coordinator Kevin O’ Connell. Many people's may think that it's the Sean McVay show, and that KOC doesn't deserve any looks. However, Texans GM Nick Caserio has prior connections to O’Connell that could be key down the road.

O’ Connell, while only 36, has a wide range of experience and comes from a system and coaching tree that is very desirable throughout the NFL. KOC first started his NFL career when he was drafted by the New England Patriots in 2008 - a time when Texans GM Nick Caserio was entering his first year as the Patriots Director of Player Personnel, which later became the role of the “De facto'' GM of the Patriots behind the legendary Bill Belichick. Caserio has a deep background with O’ Connell as you must know them as a player and as a person when considering drafting them. Nick knows what he can get in KOC. He knows what kind of person and leader he can be. At that time, the Patriots QB coach was Josh McDaniels, known to be one of Nick Caserio's closest friends. O’ Connell was only on the Patriots for one year, but he attributes his success to his former QB Coach McDaniels. Later on, while McDaniels was involved in a HC search for the Colts and Browns, it was said that O'Connell would be brought in as the OC with McDaniels. Yet those opportunities never came into fruition.

After his short-lived Patriots career, O’Connell went on to the Lions, Jets, Dolphins and Chargers as a player. O’Connell's background as a player gives a clue that Texans GM Nick Caserio may have a type he's keen on in this vital HC search. He's already interviewed a former NFL legend in Hines Ward and “a players coach” in Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon.

O'Connell started his coaching career with the Browns in 2015, then the Niners in 2016, and became the Redskins QB coach in 2017. In 2019, the Redskins made O’Connell the offensive coordinator, so that he would not leave for another job. That season the Redskins ranked 21st in total offense, quite impressive considering that the quarterbacks were Dwayne Haskins and Case Keenum. After that season, Washington’s head coach Jay Gruden was fired, leading O’Connell to find a new home in LA as the OC of the Rams. The past two seasons, the Rams have been ranked 17th (2020) and 8th (2021) in total offense. The Rams stellar offensive ranks in 2021 could be attributed to an increase in O’Connell's input for the offense, the explosion of WR Cooper Kupp, and better QB play from Goff to Stafford. It's said to be the Sean McVay show, but the better production with KOC’s arrival cannot be ignored. Rams HC Sean McVay has implemented a deadly west coast scheme based off of motion, free releases, and a ton of wide zone in the running game and has already helped get former staff members HC jobs in Chargers HC Brandon Staley, Bengals HC Zac Taylor, and Packers HC Matt LeFleur.

If O'Connell could bring over at least half of McVay's scheme, the Texans would be in great shape. Texans QB Davis Mills would highly benefit from that of a west coast scheme, and WR Brandin Cooks does excellent with free releases and lots of space. O’ Connell is a fantastic candidate and a quick riser with interviews also from the Vikings and Broncos for their HC position. He is a legitimate candidate for the Texans and should not be an afterthought.
LINK

Outside of the weird Hines Ward thing, the other four candidates that have interviewed the Texans are guys who have been multiple suitors. Caserio whatever faults we assigned to him has been around and people in the business know him. The Texans dumpster fire is really only 51-7 or two full seasons old. I like making fun of the current Texans mess as anyone, but acting some properly compensated young dude is going to just give the Texans the finger without another gig seems silly to me.

O'Connell has turned out my favorite by far............previous connections with the Patriots and Caserio............exposure to many teams..............and yet successfully runs a balanced WCO. Competition for his hand in marriage will be fierce.

*****************************************************************************************************

Get to know Texans HC Candidate: Rams OC Kevin O'Connell
January 20, 2022|Texans
By: Andrew Bohovich

The Houston Texans are set to Interview Los Angeles Rams Offensive coordinator Kevin O’ Connell. Many people's may think that it's the Sean McVay show, and that KOC doesn't deserve any looks. However, Texans GM Nick Caserio has prior connections to O’Connell that could be key down the road.

O’ Connell, while only 36, has a wide range of experience and comes from a system and coaching tree that is very desirable throughout the NFL. KOC first started his NFL career when he was drafted by the New England Patriots in 2008 - a time when Texans GM Nick Caserio was entering his first year as the Patriots Director of Player Personnel, which later became the role of the “De facto'' GM of the Patriots behind the legendary Bill Belichick. Caserio has a deep background with O’ Connell as you must know them as a player and as a person when considering drafting them. Nick knows what he can get in KOC. He knows what kind of person and leader he can be. At that time, the Patriots QB coach was Josh McDaniels, known to be one of Nick Caserio's closest friends. O’ Connell was only on the Patriots for one year, but he attributes his success to his former QB Coach McDaniels. Later on, while McDaniels was involved in a HC search for the Colts and Browns, it was said that O'Connell would be brought in as the OC with McDaniels. Yet those opportunities never came into fruition.

After his short-lived Patriots career, O’Connell went on to the Lions, Jets, Dolphins and Chargers as a player. O’Connell's background as a player gives a clue that Texans GM Nick Caserio may have a type he's keen on in this vital HC search. He's already interviewed a former NFL legend in Hines Ward and “a players coach” in Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon.

O'Connell started his coaching career with the Browns in 2015, then the Niners in 2016, and became the Redskins QB coach in 2017. In 2019, the Redskins made O’Connell the offensive coordinator, so that he would not leave for another job. That season the Redskins ranked 21st in total offense, quite impressive considering that the quarterbacks were Dwayne Haskins and Case Keenum. After that season, Washington’s head coach Jay Gruden was fired, leading O’Connell to find a new home in LA as the OC of the Rams. The past two seasons, the Rams have been ranked 17th (2020) and 8th (2021) in total offense. The Rams stellar offensive ranks in 2021 could be attributed to an increase in O’Connell's input for the offense, the explosion of WR Cooper Kupp, and better QB play from Goff to Stafford. It's said to be the Sean McVay show, but the better production with KOC’s arrival cannot be ignored. Rams HC Sean McVay has implemented a deadly west coast scheme based off of motion, free releases, and a ton of wide zone in the running game and has already helped get former staff members HC jobs in Chargers HC Brandon Staley, Bengals HC Zac Taylor, and Packers HC Matt LeFleur.

If O'Connell could bring over at least half of McVay's scheme, the Texans would be in great shape. Texans QB Davis Mills would highly benefit from that of a west coast scheme, and WR Brandin Cooks does excellent with free releases and lots of space. O’ Connell is a fantastic candidate and a quick riser with interviews also from the Vikings and Broncos for their HC position. He is a legitimate candidate for the Texans and should not be an afterthought.
LINK
Of those we have actually confirmed interviews with, I like O'Connell the best.

Of those we have actually confirmed interviews with, I like O'Connell the best.

ditto here. If my top three are out which are Ryans, Daboll, and Leftwich, this guy goes to number one. I think back to Kubiak. Say what you will but the effect on the offense was immediate with only mediocre talent. I think we would see a similar boost.

This reminded me of something I posted back in 2009, after attending a Texans All Access and listening to a then 29 year old Kyle Shanahan, heading into his 2nd year as OC.

What sucks is us as fans knew he was going to do good.

I remember saying fire OB and make Vrabel HC when he was DC.

At the end of the day ownership held onto OB far too long.

Hopefully Cal isn’t as patient as his dad.

Back