Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

This is a good reminder when people wonder why are they interviewing who they may be interviewing.
If they took a picture of the 2008-2009 Texans coaching staff, Robert Saleh would replace McVay in the photo. It's ironic that so many bright, young, future HC candidates were in Houston and after Kubiak, we ended up with BOB and Culley. I guess timing is everything.

This coaching search is like watching paint dry. What the hell is taking so long to get these guys in to interview? I'd have thought that by the end of this week, all interested candidates would have interviewed with a decision by early next week. Let's move this thing along already!

Seems to me if Mayo or McDaniel's had mutual interest, we'd have seen an interview scheduled/completed by now but I could be wrong as in general it seems like a league-wide slower than normal pace of hires.

This coaching search is like watching paint dry. What the hell is taking so long to get these guys in to interview? I'd have thought that by the end of this week, all interested candidates would have interviewed with a decision by early next week. Let's move this thing along already!

Seems to me if Mayo or McDaniel's had mutual interest, we'd have seen an interview scheduled/completed by now but I could be wrong as in general it seems like a league-wide slower than normal pace of hires.
Unless Caserio's been talking to one or both of them...shhhhh

If he's been talking to them, that constitutes an interview. Teams now announce who they have interviewed. There is no reason for secrecy given that the Pats season is done, Houston has fired their HC and are interviewing other candidates. Just get the guys in for interviews where both sides have an interest, choose your guy and let's move on already. WWII took less time then this charade.

i'm just not a fan of McDaniel. Of the ones being interviewed, O'Connell would be my top choice. I really like what I read about Hackett though. I like that Hackett designs plays specifically to fit the players he has. I like that he has turned bad offenses around, even though he had trach QBs to run it. I think the combination of Hackett and Pep would be great for us.

Houston Texans just posted on FB that they completed an interview with Josh McCown for the HC position.
If McCown wants to be a HC so badly, why isn't he on staff somewhere as an assistant? It just doesn't make sense to interview the guy again. At least Hines Ward has coaching experience, and THAT still didn't make sense.

I like that Caserio is thinking young with the interviews, but sheesh...

If this is a setup so that the fan base says "Whew...at least it isn't Josh McCown" I may not be so bothered that only half of Texans games are broadcast in the hill country.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

If they took a picture of the 2008-2009 Texans coaching staff, Robert Saleh would replace McVay in the photo. It's ironic that so many bright, young, future HC candidates were in Houston and after Kubiak, we ended up with BOB and Culley. I guess timing is everything.

Talk about depressing all that coaching talent still couldn't overcome **** drafting by the GM

Josh McCown and Jack Easterby are buds and thisclose. With McCown having no coaching experience Easterby has gotten his close friend 2 head coaching interviews with Texans in 12 months.

— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) January 21, 2022

But Easterby isn't an important player within the organization lol. You think anyone else in that building can get a non-qualified buddy an interview, not once BUT TWICE

Josh McCown and Jack Easterby are buds and thisclose. With McCown having no coaching experience Easterby has gotten his close friend 2 head coaching interviews with Texans in 12 months.

— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) January 21, 2022

But Easterby isn't an important player within the organization lol. You think anyone else in that building can get a non-qualified buddy an interview, not once BUT TWICE
Is anyone surprised? When the Texans signed Tyrod Taylor as a starter or McCarron as a backup did they even have a press conference? When McCown was signed with the Texans as the 3rd string QB who wasn't expected to play, he had a 20 minute press conference. Probably the first time in NFL history a 3rd string QB had a press conference to introduce him to the media. Too funny.

If McCown wants to be a HC so badly, why isn't he on staff somewhere as an assistant? It just doesn't make sense to interview the guy again. At least Hines Ward has coaching experience, and THAT still didn't make sense.

I like that Caserio is thinking young with the interviews, but sheesh...

If this is a setup so that the fan base says "Whew...at least it isn't Josh McCown" I may not be so bothered that only half of Texans games are broadcast in the hill country.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I dont want McCown as HC, but after playing in the NFL for 20 yrs and being from a coaching family in Jacksonville Tx. Dad/brothers was/are HC's, he wouldn't make mistakes BOB made, I feel quite certain.

So Caserio says Jack is only involved in Football Operations and logistics?!? Why is the logistics guy standing next to the HC listening in during a game?!? So much for the boundaries you speak of Nick!
I was a big fan of Caserio's, but I'm not so sure anymore. He was talking about honesty and being truthful in his 610 interview, maybe he needs to look in the mirror! I hope this photo was photo shopped because if not, Caserio is as much a liar as anyone and everyone else. He can go back to N.E. if that's the case!
Pretty much. Culley was doing an interview and Jack was off stage watching and listening. When Culley finished, Jack left too. They think we dummies

Pretty much. Culley was doing an interview and Jack was off stage watching and listening. When Culley finished, Jack left too. They think we dummies

You know this how?

Getting the hire right is all that matters, sorry this isn't meeting some posters time frames.

Why Luke Fickell?!?! I really like what he’s done at CIN. Just a fantastic job, and his time in the NFL would be a plus, but do you think he could translate to the NFL as a HC, or is this a “grow into the job” type situation?
My thoughts are, a good coach, is a good coach, is a good coach. And he has shown that he knows how to win a lot more games than most other coaches. There is no doubt that he is a winner. I believe he is as ready as his college roommate Mike Vrabel, if not more so. Fickell would come into the job and start day 1 with most of his staff in tow (much like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Walsh did).

The difference between college head coaches and NFL head coaches are college head coaches are teachers and molders of young men. That is their profession and their first love. NFL head coaches are managers of millionaire Primadona's and company CEOs. I would take my chances that Luke Fickell could become that successful company CEO like his roomie Mike Vrabel and be successful at it. Making this transition is why so NFL head coaches fail, they are good teachers, that's how they got the job in the first place, but being able to transition to successful managers and company CEOs they cannot.

Bottom Line: Fickell as a head coach has won a lot more football games than all of the people the Texans are talking to, combined. The hiring of Fickell will NEVER happen as long as Larry, Curly and Moe are running this circus and clown show.

Last edited:
I talked to @CloakNNNdagger last night and told him they were going to interview McCown this week ... they did it today.

This from last year -

Once appeasing Watson went out the proverbial window , I dunno why they didn't just hire the guy they wanted (Josh McCown) to begin with .... other than the fact that he had no experience at all and would have been the first player since 1960 (Norm Van Brocklin) to go from player to head coach the next season.
I don't think it could have been much , if any worse than this disaster .....

I’m going to go with CNNND on the new HC. I’ve taken some time to read up on Kevin O’Connell as well as Pep Hamilton. Why Pep? To see what type of compatibility the two may have. In all honesty, there’s a ton to like, especially on the way they’ve manipulated the West Coast Offenses into separate levels of success.

I think this duo could be highly successful for the Texans offense and Mills. I see Mills as a prototypical QB for the WCO who could become even more effective once he masters the art of the “Play Action” pass. Let them merge their ideas of the WCO for a new offensive system and it might be pretty damm exciting.

The big question, would O’Connell be okay with Caserio already having his coaching staff in place. IMHO…I think this would be fine with O’Connell since this would be his first HC’ing gig and landing veteran coordinators like Lovie Smith and Pep Hamilton wouldn’t be likely for a rookie HC coming into a pretty tough situation with the Texans organization. The negotiation going on behind the scenes may be on how many position coaches O’Connell could personally add to the existing staff.

Last edited:
But you know Hopkins was traded because Watson mama was concerned about his influence correct?

If people who've never given me wrong information are being truthful then the answer to your question would be yes. Tell you what, you need to be discussing this with Double Barrel, he 1st brought this info to the MB. I talked with somebody I know who confirmed what he said. I'm done here.

Texans hope someone else will interview Josh McCown
January 21, 2022, 9:56 AM EST

The Texans interviewed long-time NFL quarterback Josh McCown for the head-coaching job a year ago, despite the fact that McCown has no experience coaching college or pro football, in any capacity. They’ve interviewed him again this year, despite the fact that (checks notes) McCown still has no experience coaching college or pro football, in any capacity.

here’s building chatter in league circles that the Texans really want to hire McCown. Some in the media possibly have been enlisted to spin the notion that it’s not as crazy as it sounds. (It is.)

The Texans apparently know they need more than a supportive tweet from one of G.M. Nick Caserio’s reporter-friends. They believe they need, as we hear it, another team to interview McCown in order to legitimate and normalize the notion of McCown going straight to the job of head coach, despite having no experience coaching college or pro football, in any capacity.

Will someone do it? Maybe. Many favors are traded in the NFL, for many different reasons. What if, for example, the Jaguars decide to do a solid for McCown’s agent, Mike McCartney, who also represents Michigan pass rusher Asa Hutchinson? How long does it take? Two hours? The time spent could help set the right tone for the inevitable Hutchinson contract talks.

The point for now is that the Texans are seriously considering hiring McCown, despite no coaching experience at the college or pro level, in any capacity. And maybe they will.

If it works, great. If it doesn’t, they can always fire him after a year, citing “philosophical difference."

Last edited:
Back